• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DeSantis bans homeless from sleeping on public property

The person? I doubt to become an addict you have to be a selfish person first. What they are is addicted to a substance that prevents logic, and encourages its use.

I'm careful about the words, because those words can either encourage aid, or prevent it by encouraging people to blame and ignore the problem.
Agree. Most people aren't selfish before they become addicted. They become selfish when the addiction takes control.

Agree. Most people aren't selfish before they become addicted. They become selfish when the addiction takes control.
Unfortunately it can look that way. Addiction works that way, or it wouldn't be a problem.

It's a hard one, for sure. Mental health is as well. People think it has to be a severe issue to not be able to work in this societies constructs, but that's not true. I know a lot of people who look functioning that can't really do what it takes to hold a job.

Most I know can't get jobs that pay enough to live in a home, they just aren't accepted. Bagging groceries isn't going to cut it. Not much they can do about that. We need a universal basic income, in my opinion.

Unfortunately it can look that way. Addiction works that way, or it wouldn't be a problem.

It's a hard one, for sure. Mental health is as well. People think it has to be a severe issue to not be able to work in this societies constructs, but that's not true. I know a lot of people who look functioning that can't really do what it takes to hold a job.

Most I know can't get jobs that pay enough to live in a home, they just aren't accepted. Bagging groceries isn't going to cut it. Not much they can do about that. We need a universal basic income, in my opinion.
Universal income is a whole different topic.

Universal income is a whole different topic.
Regarding homelessness, it seems to have reduced it in this study.

100 homeless people in California's Los Angeles County and San Francisco Bay Area were given $750 a month for a year — no questions asked.

In the first six months, researchers — using self-reported data from the recipients — found that those who received the influx of cash were less likely to remain unsheltered and closer to having enough money to meet all of their basic needs when compared to a control group that didn't get the funds.
"We ended up seeing the unsheltered numbers dropping pretty quickly in the experimental group that was getting the income," said Henwood, the director of the Center for Homelessness, Housing and Health Equity Research at the USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work.

Seventy percent of the group who got the monthly stipend came into the study sheltered, but still homeless, while the other 30% were unsheltered and living on the streets, according to Henwood.

The 30% proportion of people who reported being unsheltered at the start of the trial dipped to 12% by the six-month mark, according to the study.https://www.businessinsider.com/universal-basic-income-simple-solution-homelessness-researcher-study-2023-12#:~:text=In%20the%20first%20six%20months,didn't%20get%20the%20funds.

Does UBI work?​

Multiple recent studies have shown that UBI can lead to improved health outcomes and increased employment for recipients of UBI.

For example, a Finnish study showed that average life satisfaction for a group that received money was higher — 7.3 out of 10 — compared to a group that received no money, whose average life satisfaction rating was 6.8.

“People receiving the basic income reported better health and lower levels of stress, depression, sadness, and loneliness—all major determinants of happiness—than people in the control group,” according to a report on the study.

Another study in Stockton, California, found that full-time employment increased because UBI gave people time to apply for better jobs, rather than having to work multiple part-time jobs. And a study in Hudson, New York, found that all employment increased from 29 to 63 percent, which contradicts opponents of UBI that claim it would “destroy” any incentive to work.

It is simple. There are many people on the street who won't seek help because they don't want help. They love their addiction more than the future. Been there.
I think it's because they don't want to make a big show of praying for some self-satisfied suburbanite's dopamine rush.

I mean, they might be homeless, but that doesn't mean they have no dignity whatsoever.

Actually California just passed a major bond to deal with mental health and homelessness-with the support of Governor Newsome. Pretty compassionate, isn’t it?

A statewide ballot measure aimed at overhauling California's mental health care system, primarily through the issuance of nearly $6.4 billion in bonds, has been approved by voters.

Proposition 1 is a two-pronged measure backed heavily by Gov. Gavin Newsom and a host of Southland elected officials, including Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass and county Supervisors Hilda Solis and Janice Hahn. ”

Care to revise your post?
No, ill wait for the results to come in.

You only think that is the Newsome approach because you believe Fox news and the like
Lol. Newsome and the left run California and have for some time. But the homeless problem isnt their fault. Good one.

Lol. Newsome and the left run California and have for some time. But the homeless problem isnt their fault. Good one.
How is Newsome or liberals responsible for the major increase in homelessness in Florida?

Can't sleep on private property.

Can't sleep on public property.

Where should they sleep?

Back when I was a social worker we had a very hard time getting many homeless to stay in shelters. We would have empty shelter beds and entrenched homeless sleeping on the streets by choice.

In some ways I understood their reluctance, most of the entrenched homeless had a huge level of distrust beaten into them by life. Laws like this one n Florida are intended to give the authority of the police to relocate the homeless to shelters and compel the involvement of social workers.

I think it's because they don't want to make a big show of praying for some self-satisfied suburbanite's dopamine rush.

I mean, they might be homeless, but that doesn't mean they have no dignity whatsoever.
The only difference between a homeless addict and a sheltered addict is money.

They are being vilified by society for not having money.

Back when I was a social worker we had a very hard time getting many homeless to stay in shelters. We would have empty shelter beds and entrenched homeless sleeping on the streets by choice.

In some ways I understood their reluctance, most of the entrenched homeless had a huge level of distrust beaten into them by life. Laws like this one n Florida are intended to give the authority of the police to relocate the homeless to shelters and compel the involvement of social workers.
Many shelters, especially in larger cities, have horrible reputations.

That's because they're underfunded and understaffed.

Because society has thrown homeless people away and only want them dead or gone. Either works for them.

Many shelters, especially in larger cities, have horrible reputations.

That's because they're underfunded and understaffed.

Because society has thrown homeless people away and only want them dead or gone. Either works for them.

Government run anything tends to be soulless and dehumanizing. It seems to be a natural progression for any service industry where the employee has little chance to be fired.

We used to have state psychiatric hospitals that housed the same people that make up the entrenched homeless, and they too were largely soulless and dehumanizing and were eventually shuttered.

That said, shelters tend to be more gentle on the homeless than the street is.

The only difference between a homeless addict and a sheltered addict is money.

They are being vilified by society for not having money.
giphy.gif

Exactly!

Government run anything tends to be soulless and dehumanizing. It seems to be a natural progression for any service industry where the employee has little chance to be fired.

We used to have state psychiatric hospitals that housed the same people that make up the entrenched homeless, and they too were largely soulless and dehumanizing and were eventually shuttered.

I'd love to see a more choice based answer, that leaves peoples dignity intact. I think that's why UBI works.
I've been through the welfare system, and I would. call it more of a punishment than an aid.

This house needs a thorough cleaning, I agree.

In this case, it's more of a societal indifference or outright hatred of those with addictions or mental illness.
Yes, because there was no will to make them the places they were meant to be. In other words, the mentally ill were not worth caring for correctly. So they self-medicate and end up addicted and alone on the streets--where they're targeted by the housed for violence and a way to unleash their rage on the powerless. That's the life of a homeless person.

NO ONE with power cares about them.
Not really--unless it's a cold-weather shelter. However, most places with large homeless populations, can't build enough shelters to make it possible for them to sleep indoors.

Look at Nevada's issue. They have 84,000 renters who have nothing to rent. They are short 84,000 dwellings for their populace.

Good people go homeless every day.

Lol. The results as in, the reduction of homelessness.
The bond is for what-a billion dollars? At the very least it can no longer be said that there is no effort to address the problem-as the MAGATS like to claim.

The bond is for what-a billion dollars? At the very least it can no longer be said that there is no effort to address the problem-as the MAGATS like to claim.
Ill wait for the results.

Ill wait for the results.
You at least admit that a reasonable effort has been made to address the problem-yes or no?

Back
Top Bottom