• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Denver decriminalizes mushrooms

americanwoman

dangerously addictive
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Magic mushrooms decriminalization: Denver poised to become first in U.S. to loosen restrictions

[FONT=&quot]Denver is poised to become the first city in the nation to effectively decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After closing an early vote deficit Tuesday night and early Wednesday, final unofficial results posted late in the afternoon showed a reversal of fortune — with Initiative 301 set to pass narrowly with 50.6 percent of the vote. The total stands at 89,320 votes in favor and 87,341 against, a margin of 1,979.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Denver Elections Division will continue accepting military and overseas ballots, but typically those numbers are small. Results will be certified May 16.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As written, I-301 directs police via ordinance to treat enforcement of laws against possession of psilocybin mushrooms as their lowest priority. It also bars the use of city resources or money to impose criminal penalties.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“Our victory here is a clear signal to the rest of the country that we’re ready for a broader conversation around psilocybin and its potential benefits,” said Matthews, a 33-year-old stay-at-home dad.It’s similar to decriminalization measures approved by Denver voters for marijuana years before Colorado’s Amendment 64 won statewide approval.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Psychedelic mushrooms still would remain illegal to buy, sell or possess, with the latter crime a felony that carries a potential punishment of up to a year in prison and a fine. But Initiative 301 backers hope to lower the risk users face of getting caught with mushrooms.[/FONT]

It's a start.
:2dancing:

Just saw, it's not a legalization but, rather a commitement to not give a **** if kids have some mushroom on the cops behalf.

What the hell does that even mean? That is the most confusing initiative for police departments of all times.

It is a horrible injustice of the system that possession of psilocybin is a felony, in literally every other jurisdiction out there.

There are many species of hallucinogenic mushrooms though, are they all legal now?

Not sure but looks like all psilocybin mushrooms. Here's another article I found on it.

Denver Votes To Decriminalize Possession Of Magic Mushrooms : Shots - Health News : NPR

Denver voters narrowly approved a grassroots ballot initiative to decriminalize psilocybin mushrooms, commonly referred to as psychedelic mushrooms.

What appeared to be a failed effort on the evening of Tuesday's referendum made an unexpected comeback the following afternoon, when Denver election officials released the final count. It showed a slim majority of 50.56% voted in favor of Ordinance 301.

The action doesn't legalize psilocybin mushrooms, but it effectively bars the city from prosecuting or arresting adults 21 or older who possess them. In the ballot language, adults can even grow the fungus for personal use and be considered a low priority for Denver police. The changes could take effect as soon as next year.

What happened in Denver may be the start of a much larger movement, which seeks safe access to psilocybin for its purported medicinal value. Supporters point to research suggesting psilocybin is not addictive and causes few ER visits compared with other illegal drugs. Ongoing medical research shows it could be a groundbreaking medicine for treatment-resistant depression and to help curb nicotine addiction.

Just saw, it's not a legalization but, rather a commitement to not give a **** if kids have some mushroom on the cops behalf.

What the hell does that even mean? That is the most confusing initiative for police departments of all times.

If I remember right, it was the same with marijuana.

Slowly it started to be "decriminalized" in that they stopped prosecuting for possession which then paved the ground for actual legalization. Like I said, hopefully it's a start to go in that direction.

If I remember right, it was the same with marijuana.

Slowly it started to be "decriminalized" in that they stopped prosecuting for possession which then paved the ground for actual legalization. Like I said, hopefully it's a start to go in that direction.

Yeah, I'm very pro-mushrooms. I think a well planned trip is something nearly every healthy adult should consider at some point in their lifetimes.

Very interesting...and a natural next step after legalizing pot.

Having used mushrooms a lot in my younger years, and very occasionally these days, I see some hurdles...this isn't an experience for everyone. My opinion is that legalization is a good thing, but there would be a lot more oversight involved than with pot. We're talking apples and orangutans here. I'm quite comfortable with psychedelic experiences...but I've seen more than a few bad trips, and they aren't fun to be around, let alone experience.

I have no problem with it. As long as the person tripping isn’t tripping when they’re driving or involved in activities that might compromise other’s safety.

Yeah, I'm very pro-mushrooms. I think a well planned trip is something nearly every healthy adult should consider at some point in their lifetimes.

I'm kinda a baby lightweight so I just take a little to get a good body high going while laughing my butt off. I got my own well planned trip scheduled for next month. ;)

I agree - though your experience on mushrooms is going to be heavily dependent on your mind frame at the time of ingestion. What do you think the best method of conveying that to a new group of mushroom trippers? I worry about people new to mushrooms casting a negative light on legalization results, when the reports of their bad trips become accepted as the "norm" by anti drug folks.

Very interesting...and a natural next step after legalizing pot.

Having used mushrooms a lot in my younger years, and very occasionally these days, I see some hurdles...this isn't an experience for everyone. My opinion is that legalization is a good thing, but there would be a lot more oversight involved than with pot. We're talking apples and orangutans here. I'm quite comfortable with psychedelic experiences...but I've seen more than a few bad trips, and they aren't fun to be around, let alone experience.

I've had my own bad experience but never on shrooms only on acid which I will not touch ever again. Like I told Winston in moderation it's excellent but not everyone has the willpower to stop when they should.

I'm kinda a baby lightweight so I just take a little to get a good body high going while laughing my butt off. I got my own well planned trip scheduled for next month. ;)

I love micro-dosing too. I went fully sober 3 years ago, but, I would not be averse to a psilocybe mushroom here and there in the future. I just had problems with drinking and had to get my life sorted out in 2016.

Anyway, yeah, this is a positive step in the right direction. Psilocybe mushrooms do have therapeutic and recreational properties. Obviously the Terrence McKenna advocated 5 gram dosage, is when you don't want to just get your feet wet, and rather jump right in. Then you will have Closed Eye Visuals and Open Eye Visuals that will probably be too overhwelming for you to navigate reality.

I agree - though your experience on mushrooms is going to be heavily dependent on your mind frame at the time of ingestion. What do you think the best method of conveying that to a new group of mushroom trippers? I worry about people new to mushrooms casting a negative light on legalization results, when the reports of their bad trips become accepted as the "norm" by anti drug folks.

What % report bad trips as common for them? Going off my personal life I would say it's rather small %. Less than 10% have bad trips. That's just what I've observed though.

As for trip guidelines.. You've read erowid, yeah?

The beginning of a trip: Setting an intention
Setting intention is framing your experience, or guiding toward a desired outcome, or "programming" it. Setting intention can be as simple as stating inside one's mind or aloud what one would like to happen during this experience, or as complex as a personal or group ritual.

Some things that can complement this phase:
Writing down the intention(s)
Playing a musical instrument
Vocalizing
Listening to specially selected recorded music
Looking at pre-selected photographic images

In the case of a group experience, setting the intention together (as in an "opening circle") can be a powerful way to influence the cohesiveness or theme of the experience.

During the trip (all dependent upon dose)
If the person is able to manipulate tools effectively and their motor control is not too impaired, they may want to make a note of any ideas or concepts that occur, attempt to draw or paint, or otherwise express creatively. The higher they are, the harder this becomes. If anxiety crops up during the attempt to express oneself one way, finding another or waiting for later during a less intoxicated moment may be wise.

Some thoughts:
"I personally like to have a blank notepad and a pen about just in case."
"Sometimes I like to speak about what is happening so I keep a recorder handy."
"A blank canvas can be so inviting to some paint in some spaces."
"Even when my motor control is lacking a pencil and paper is still entertaining."

As the trip is ending: Considerations for the sitter
Checking the person occasionally for personality recognition can give clues on how ready they are to engage in post-trip integration ("coming down" and moving on). Occasionally asking them their name, where they are, etc., can cue them to everyday reality. If these questions are causing stress, then they are not close enough to baseline to converse on these issues and this line of questioning is best left alone. During this period, care can be taken that they stay warm, free of anxiety-causing stimulus, and that they have access to someone if they want to interact.

I've had my own bad experience but never on shrooms only on acid which I will not touch ever again. Like I told Winston in moderation it's excellent but not everyone has the willpower to stop when they should.

It can happen quite accidentally, though. One weekend I facilitated a "family men's retreat", which was essentially two generations of guys in my family getting together for a good piss up. One year we got it in our head to do mushrooms. Being the one with the most experience, I procured them from a reliable dealer, who warned me in advance that they were the best mushrooms she had ever tried.

Being the cautious enabler I am, I made a good batch of tea from them, portioned out the results equally among the partakers, and gave them the warning to drink half, see how they are, and finish it off if they wanted to. My brother in law, who was working on 2 hours of sleep, and weight 98lbs soaking wet, decided he was going to drink all of it in one go.

His trip was epic. And terrible.

Now, sure, he was dumb, he should have followed the instructions. But if you don't know, you figure "well, how bad can it be"? This can lead to mistakes - a lot of folks have a tendency to binge. Also, I had far more than he had - I don't do mushrooms by the gram, I decide how many quarter ounces I would like to do. So, if he were looking to me for guidance on dosage, well...hehe...

He was fine the next day, mushrooms are one of the most benign drugs out there, in terms of mid to long term physical effects - so long as you don't listen to the pink elephant when it tells you you can fly...hehe - but that night was a bit ruined because of the psychological trauma he was going through, and many people would point to that event as being justification for continued prohibition.

Basically, due to the power of the drug - let's be honest, it hasn't been used in religious ceremonies around the world as long as humans have been around because it's lightweight - I think a lot more care is required when figuring out how to make it legal.

But I'm down for it! :)

What % report bad trips as common for them? Going off my personal life I would say it's rather small %. Less than 10% have bad trips. That's just what I've observed though.

As for trip guidelines.. You've read erowid, yeah?

Yup, I'm a fan of erowid. :) I've always researched intoxicants before trying them. I know, the most boring way to have fun, right? hehe... I have to be careful, I have other issues going on, so I have to make sure I understand anything I put in my body that could effect my mental health, or my addictive personality...hehe... As a result, I've tried far fewer drugs than I could have / wanted to. :)

The question is, how do you ensure that everyone getting into mushrooms undergoes this same kind of diligence. Legalizing is great, but in order to keep something legal, it can't turn into a disaster. So, I think it's on those who want to see it legalized to be a part of the discussion, in terms of providing solutions. Given how the world is these days, one trip that's bad enough would be used to justify recriminalizing it. Better to think about it now.

As a man that's too much of a ***** to even handle Tramadol, I love a woman that gets responsibly high.

It can happen quite accidentally, though. One weekend I facilitated a "family men's retreat", which was essentially two generations of guys in my family getting together for a good piss up. One year we got it in our head to do mushrooms. Being the one with the most experience, I procured them from a reliable dealer, who warned me in advance that they were the best mushrooms she had ever tried.

Being the cautious enabler I am, I made a good batch of tea from them, portioned out the results equally among the partakers, and gave them the warning to drink half, see how they are, and finish it off if they wanted to. My brother in law, who was working on 2 hours of sleep, and weight 98lbs soaking wet, decided he was going to drink all of it in one go.

His trip was epic. And terrible.

Now, sure, he was dumb, he should have followed the instructions. But if you don't know, you figure "well, how bad can it be"? This can lead to mistakes - a lot of folks have a tendency to binge. Also, I had far more than he had - I don't do mushrooms by the gram, I decide how many quarter ounces I would like to do. So, if he were looking to me for guidance on dosage, well...hehe...

He was fine the next day, mushrooms are one of the most benign drugs out there, in terms of mid to long term physical effects - so long as you don't listen to the pink elephant when it tells you you can fly...hehe - but that night was a bit ruined because of the psychological trauma he was going through, and many people would point to that event as being justification for continued prohibition.

Basically, due to the power of the drug - let's be honest, it hasn't been used in religious ceremonies around the world as long as humans have been around because it's lightweight - I think a lot more care is required when figuring out how to make it legal.

But I'm down for it! :)

"cautious enabler" :lamo Love it!

Well, yeah...who do you think ends up babysitting, if I get someone a little too close to Nirvana... haha ;)

I need a good babysitter. Last October was the last time I did mushrooms and I ended up dancing for 4 hours straight and then proceeded to moonwalk all over the dance floor with the lights on when it closed down to the amusement of my friends and husband. Some babysitters they are!

*sigh*

Denver decriminalizes mushrooms and Georgia criminalizes abortion.

One step forward, two steps back.
I can only imagine you and americanwoman getting high on mushrooms. :lol:

My money would be on you playing the drums.

giphy.gif

I need a good babysitter. Last October was the last time I did mushrooms and I ended up dancing for 4 hours straight and then proceeded to moonwalk all over the dance floor with the lights on when it closed down to the amusement of my friends and husband. Some babysitters they are!

I'm actually an excellent babysitter - too good a babysitter, in fact, to facilitate an indoor mushroom trip!!

Best mushroom trips are done OUTSIDE. :)

My best mushroom trip was actually on my honeymoon. My wife and I decided not to go to the usual destination, partly because we love our own country, partly because we were young and broke...lol... So, we got a cabin on Manitoulin Island, and, well...honeymooned. hehe... One night I made my tea (my tea is the stuff of legends), and looked out at the stars. We went for huge walks, went through six rolls of film taking pictures of trees and the one streetlight in the area (Manitoulin Island is the boonies, for sure), etc. The trip was a good 6 - 7 hours.

Unfortunately it ended rather abruptly...we were sitting by the water, and heard something get got by something bigger in the bush - pretty sure it was a rabbit, and they don't make the nicest sounds when they're getting harvested by whatever was out there. Needless to say we did not pass Go, we did not collect $200, we went straight to bed...lol... But it was an awesome night otherwise.

Point of the story...where you are at and who you are with all matter. A good mushroom trip needs to be planned.

haha...come to think of it, they need to get this legalized up here quick time.... I could be a mushroom tour guide. :)

I can only imagine you and americanwoman getting high on mushrooms. :lol:

My money would be on you playing the drums.

giphy.gif

I actually was in a band in high school, and played piano and sang. When the drummer was out sick, I took his place, because it was far more important to have a drum line than piano.

I actually was high as a kite, most of my teenage years, too, so... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom