• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cover versions that are better than the original

Speaks for itself.

I was rather shocked to discover a cover version of a very old and well-known song, one of my absolute favourites, that surpasses the original. I think that's very rare, but of course, totally subjective. Still, nice excuse for a vid-sharing thread.

Post here your covers (the more obscure the performer the better IMHO) and the originals of some of the greatest songs and let's see if the DP jury concurs with your opinion.

Oh, I almost forgot. Here's that discovery, followed by the original.

One of my favorite songs as well.

Diana Krall does a lovely live cover of it as well.

Terry Kath took a Spencer Davis masterpiece and knocked it out of the park

<snip>
Listening to Terry Kath, is *not* the same as *listening* + *watching* him!

Here's Harry James doing a cover of Booker T and the MG's

Postmodern jukebox is a group that covers modern songs in older genres. Really good stuff.
The female vocalist does an excellent job, too. Very expressive, both vocally & physically. They pair well.

Tinashe's cover of 'How To Love' is miles better than the original version by Lil' Wayne.

I actually prefer Aaron Lewis's acoustic version of "Black" over Eddie Vedder's acoustic version. Then again maybe Im biased, Aaron Lewis is the main reason i have and play acoustic/electric guitar but I do enjoy his version better.

The female vocalist does an excellent job, too. Very expressive, both vocally & physically. They pair well.

Haley Reinhart is awesome. Here she's covering Elton John's Benny And The Jets on American Idol.

Alright, I can't let Luther be the only guy throwing this great jazz out there!

Earl Bostic doing "Harlem Nocturne":

And Ella doing Gershwin's "Summertime":

(an absolutely stellar interpretation, IMNSHO)

I also think this cover of Drake's 'One Dance' is also the superior version when compared to the original.

Alright, I can't let Luther be the only guy throwing this great jazz out there!

Earl Bostic doing "Harlem Nocturne":

And Ella doing Gershwin's "Summertime":

(an absolutely stellar interpretation, IMNSHO)

Ella's version of Summertime is far and away my favorite. Anna Brown had a rather shrill voice as the original and Leontyne Price, one of the greatest operatic voices ever, kept that style in her performance. Ella, however, came along and smoothed the whole thing out.

Janis Joplin's version is ragged but it kind of sticks with you.

Norah Jones does a really nice "uptown" version of the song.

Ella's version of Summertime is far and away my favorite. Anna Brown had a rather shrill voice as the original and Leontyne Price, one of the greatest operatic voices ever, kept that style in her performance. Ella, however, came along and smoothed the whole thing out.

Janis Joplin's version is ragged but it kind of sticks with you.

Norah Jones does a really nice "uptown" version of the song.
Yep! Big Brother & The Holding Company do an interesting instrumental interpretation, there. One of my favs.

Cover of the classic GG Allin song:

Not sure which is technically the cover:

good topic
I hope someone listens to my hero, the late Long John Baldry and Kthi Macdonald do this:
[video]https://www.google.ca/search?q=baldry+you%27ve+lost+that+loving+feeling&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=7534V4WmL-iwjwT15pzQCw[/video]

the beauty of this brings tears to my eyes.

It cannot get better - but wait - it does

Does this count as a cover?
original artists with guest that blows the song away.

Roy Oribison - kd land - Crying

Bob Dylan's Masters of War as performed by Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready at Bob Dylan's 50th anniversary concert.

Eddie still covers this song to this day but the best version I've heard is still the one from that concert.
Original:

Cover:

Last edited:
Because sometimes slower and less loud is actually better.

Original:

Cover:

Last edited:
More evidence that slower is quite often better.

Original:

Cover:

Last edited:
Will not say that it's better, because better than Metallica is a bit of blasphemy, but really impressed by this cover (saw it pop up, expected it to be horrible) and REALLY impressed that her fans actually recognized it.

The instrumentals are beautiful haunting. Also, I loved the first comment under the video "Now do battery"

the great reggae classic

covered by a white band that the reggae artists all revered

Back
Top Bottom