• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CONSERVATIVE areas are driving California’s troubles

Bakersfield... Come on vacation, leave on probation.

For decades Bakersfield has been the target of jabs as an undesirable place to live. I can’t offer any firsthand comments other than the area is boring to drive past on the interstate.

I suspect part of the prejudice is from years ago when Bakersfield was home to migrant farmworkers from Oklahoma. The Kern County Board of Supervisors banned John Steinbeck’s Grapes of Wrath; admitting the truth while trying to suppress the truth.

California is a Democratic stronghold, one of the "Big Three" Democratic strongholds with New York and Illinois. Among registered voters (2020 data) 46.10% were registered Democrats. 24.20% were Republicans and 24.00% registered No Party Preference. But of course its the 24 percent Republicans that are the problem.

Here in Baltimore, the majority of the firearms that are used in crimes that are traced by police come from outside of Maryland: Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennesse, North and South Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Texas and (interestingly) a smidge from California. Overwhelmingly red states where one can legally acquire a firearm far more easily. A couple blue states and a purple state are included, but are the minority.

The reason why I bring this up is because that is old news here in Baltimore; we've known where the firearms are coming from for a long time now....but where are the firearms coming from for California?

Well, it is a similar answer. It appears that a little under half (got this from ATF website) IS from CA itself. The rest come from around the nation, with the top 15 states being mostly red states. To be fair, the data needs to be updated, I think. But, I doubt it will change much overall when it is updated.

So, the point about red states contributing to the problem of crime is that...well...that is true. Red states are mostly responsible for the ease of which criminals and illegals can get their hands on firearms. While there are other factors at play, certainly, but crimes that have firearms involved (most of the violent crimes, drug related crimes), the firearms are usually traced outside of the area they are used in and they tend to come from conservative parts of the nation.

So, yeah...you guys on the right are complicit in crimes that happen in cities and other urban areas. You are allowing criminals/illegals the same access to firearms as regular citizens.

Here in Baltimore, the majority of the firearms that are used in crimes that are traced by police come from outside of Maryland: Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennesse, North and South Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Texas and (interestingly) a smidge from California. Overwhelmingly red states where one can legally acquire a firearm far more easily. A couple blue states and a purple state are included, but are the minority.

The reason why I bring this up is because that is old news here in Baltimore; we've known where the firearms are coming from for a long time now....but where are the firearms coming from for California?

Well, it is a similar answer. It appears that a little under half (got this from ATF website) IS from CA itself. The rest come from around the nation, with the top 15 states being mostly red states. To be fair, the data needs to be updated, I think. But, I doubt it will change much overall when it is updated.

So, the point about red states contributing to the problem of crime is that...well...that is true. Red states are mostly responsible for the ease of which criminals and illegals can get their hands on firearms. While there are other factors at play, certainly, but crimes that have firearms involved (most of the violent crimes, drug related crimes), the firearms are usually traced outside of the area they are used in and they tend to come from conservative parts of the nation.

So, yeah...you guys on the right are complicit in crimes that happen in cities and other urban areas. You are allowing criminals/illegals the same access to firearms as regular citizens.
I spent several years growing up in Baltimore, I was a Democrat then because everyone else was. I am probably older than you but I can tell you back then there was a concern about guns, ZIP guns. It does not matter where the gun comes from, red states, south of the border etc. A criminal has never had a problem with getting a gun if he really wanted one. So far just this year to date, Border Patrol agents have seized 59,965 rounds of ammunition and 1,337 ammunitions and gun parts, which oddly includes sub machine guns and machine pistols. * None of this is Red State involved.

* https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/weapons-and-ammunition-seizures

So rather than address the legion issues in Democrat cities, the Daily Kos says BUT GUNS in Republican counties.
This has been true all along. While large cities have MORE murders and violent crimes, because they have more people. The actual crime rates (the threat to the community) is generally much higher in rural areas than urban areas, particularly in states with higher gun ownership, which are often red states.

So what this article is really saying is that counties in the Central Valley with large numbers of illegal aliens and Latin street gangs have more murders.
Nice thought (not really), except that "illegal aliens" commit crimes at a much lower rate than naturalized US citizens.

https://www.ojp.gov/library/publica...-undocumented-immigrants-legal-immigrants-and

Of course, that should be almost axiomatic given that if someone is in this country illegally and risks being found out (and deported) with a simple arrest, they are going to behave.

That said, I am certainly happy to help stamp out all of those misconceptions you seemingly have.

Last edited:
Righties who rant about California are not telling the whole story. This article breaks it down nicely.

(Yes it's DailyKos, but the secondary sources here are not.)

why do you think the above is true (if it is) ?

Oh, if we only had Grandpappy to weigh in on the California "Commies"! :ROFLMAO:

Haven't seen Grandpappy for a few days, beginning to worry. I'll send up the batsign:

Commie, commie, commie!

MAGA.

So what this article is really saying is that counties in the Central Valley with large numbers of illegal aliens and Latin street gangs have more murders.
What part of the article pointed that out?

California is a Democratic stronghold, one of the "Big Three" Democratic strongholds with New York and Illinois. Among registered voters (2020 data) 46.10% were registered Democrats. 24.20% were Republicans and 24.00% registered No Party Preference. But of course its the 24 percent Republicans that are the problem.

The gun grabbing progressives and their funny math.
Daily Kos, consider the source. :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom