• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Common sense gun control

They cant do the impossible

So then you recommend 'new' laws that are impossible to enforce? Very odd thought process there.

I dont know that it's impossible for the current ones, but :shrug:

Let's talk about your car. You need a driver's license to operate your car. What's more, the car has to be registered with a state issued license plate.

Why all the precautions? Because cars in the hands of the wrong driver are a threat to honest, working folk. You don't want to issue a drivers license to people who can't control a car, mentally ill people, etc.

So let's do the same with guns as we do with cars.

Moreover, let's combine the two processes. When you get your driver's license, you can get a gun license at the same time if you choose. When you register your car, you register your guns.

You won't even notice the extra paperwork because you'll be renewing and registering at the same time your doing it for your car.

There's a lot less mass killings done with vehicles than guns so drivers licenses and vehicle registration work.

Obviously we can do the same with computers, typewriters and printers. Regulating free speech would save a lot of pain and lives. Requiring a license to use a computer or access the internet, plus a stricter license for posting on the Internet, would stop the spread of lies and misinformation by haters, provocateurs and idiots.

No, it's another example of good guys with guns blowing each other way. If ever there was a sign that common sense is gun control and idiocy is arming everyone, that post is it.

your posts are worthless nonsense. You lie about who is a "good guy" with a gun and you try to bait and smear honest gun owners with bogus associations with thugs.

your idea of common sense gun control are laws that harass people who voted for Trump.

Good idea. Every state should have a Registry of Firearms, just like they have an RMV.

what a moronic idea. The only people who want such things are gun banners and criminals.

The US incarcerating a greater proportion of it's people than anywhere else is a credit to my point not yours as it is due to your concept of harsher penalties to try and deter crime is the cause of it. If you have harsher penalties and it doesn't reduce crime you simply end up with more people in jail. Thank you for proving my point.

How do you plan on ensuring all weapons are registered?

Most people will voluntarily register

A better system.....not a perfect one

Yep, not sure what the problem is...they just cant or wont invest enough 'something' into the laws we already have.

The crimes are not seem to be a big enough priority, why waste resources just to secure a slap on the wrist.

Obviously we can do the same with computers, typewriters and printers. Regulating free speech would save a lot of pain and lives. Requiring a license to use a computer or access the internet, plus a stricter license for posting on the Internet, would stop the spread of lies and misinformation by haters, provocateurs and idiots.

We could I guess. Which country has done that effectively?

I can't imagine too many gun owners with jobs, families and mortgages want to serve time for the sake of a gun.

Of course not. The vast majority would comply with new laws

The US incarcerating a greater proportion of it's people than anywhere else is a credit to my point not yours as it is due to your concept of harsher penalties to try and deter crime is the cause of it. If you have harsher penalties and it doesn't reduce crime you simply end up with more people in jail. Thank you for proving my point.

How do you plan on ensuring all weapons are registered?

Then you're saying that the very concept of criminal justice doesn't work - of crime and penalty.

IMO US courts give prison sentences that are too long.
More should be done to help rehabilitate prisoners on release - for one thing I would automatically restore citizen rights upon the completion of a sentence
Another would be that released convicts are not required to divulge their time in jail on job applications etc

However civilization rests on punishment being a fear.

If we don't fear the consequences of our actions, there's little to hold us back from them.

Most people will voluntarily register

A better system.....not a perfect one

Oh most will register a weapon or 2 out of necessity, but you are a fool if you think most gun owners will have every one of their guns registered. It simply won't happen, as I mentioned previously this is something that has been joked about for years among gun enthusiasts which resulted in the boating accident meme.

What makes this a better system? Do you honestly believe a criminal or even someone that believes they may potentially be involved in a crime is going to voluntarily register their weapons? This is about as pointless as a sign out front claiming an area to be a "Gun Free Zone" with absolutely nothing to enforce it.

Oh most will register a weapon or 2 out of necessity, but you are a fool if you think most gun owners will have every one of their guns registered. It simply won't happen, as I mentioned previously this is something that has been joked about for years among gun enthusiasts which resulted in the boating accident meme.

What makes this a better system? Do you honestly believe a criminal or even someone that believes they may potentially be involved in a crime is going to voluntarily register their weapons? This is about as pointless as a sign out front claiming an area to be a "Gun Free Zone" with absolutely nothing to enforce it.

Registration helps to prevent a criminal from getting a gun

And if you have a wife and kids and are willing to risk a prison sentence if the cops happen to investigate your house and find unregistered guns.....
Well that is awful for them

Register guns, what guns ..... ROTFLMAO..

Then you're saying that the very concept of criminal justice doesn't work - of crime and penalty.

IMO US courts give prison sentences that are too long.
More should be done to help rehabilitate prisoners on release - for one thing I would automatically restore citizen rights upon the completion of a sentence
Another would be that released convicts are not required to divulge their time in jail on job applications etc

However civilization rests on punishment being a fear.

If we don't fear the consequences of our actions, there's little to hold us back from them.

No, I'm saying you are simply wrong that harsher penalties reduce crime in any meaningful way and that regardless of the penalty put in place most gun owners will simply not comply other than a few guns out of necessity.

I'm largely in agreement with you on criminal justice reform other than the bolded as that would likely increase discrimination against minorities in the workplace.

It doesn't matter the consequences if you don't fear getting caught.......

How are they going to find out?

Sir we have a tip that you have unregistered guns. We have a warrant to search your house. Please step aside

Not a problem Skippy, I live in the Land of the Free, besides I have nothing to declare to the Feds. You Really don't get it, how sad.

See above

Registration helps to prevent a criminal from getting a gun

And if you have a wife and kids and are willing to risk a prison sentence if the cops happen to investigate your house and find unregistered guns.....
Well that is awful for them

How does my gun being registered prevent someone from stealing it? How will you register guns illegally smuggled across the border? If a criminal wants a gun he will get one and as the term implies a criminal doesn't particularly care if there is a law against it.

The cops would need a warrant to investigate my home so I have no worries about that ever happening.

How does my gun being registered prevent someone from stealing it? How will you register guns illegally smuggled across the border? If a criminal wants a gun he will get one and as the term implies a criminal doesn't particularly care if there is a law against it.

The cops would need a warrant to investigate my home so I have no worries about that ever happening.

I want a better system.....not a perfect one.

Your neighbor buddy will narc you out when he gets arrested

Sir we have a tip that you have unregistered guns. We have a warrant to search your house. Please step aside

You need more than a "tip" to get a warrant. There is this thing called the constitution and the 4th amendment.

I want a better system.....not a perfect one.

Your neighbor buddy will narc you out when he gets arrested

You assume I even talk to my neighbors........

You have failed to provide any reasoning for what makes this a better system. All you have presented is a system that seeks to annoy the average person and not much else.

Back
Top Bottom