• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Climate Alarmists Caught Faking Sea Level Rise

Climate News
[h=1]1988 Congressional climate change hearing: claims of accelerating sea level rise – failed[/h]Guest essay by Larry Hamlin On June 23, 1988 the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources held a hearing addressing the Greenhouse Effect and Global Climate Change. Among the presenters at this hearing was Dr. James Hansen, Director, NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies who introduced his infamous and now debunked global surface temperature…

Failed? Really? They're dancing in the street. Well OK, they weren't up until recently:

Why has acceleration of sea level rise not been observed during the altimeter era?

NASA Satellites Detect Pothole on Road to Higher Seas

6c9895c2059f734babf7d4a4716d439b--eeyore-images-january-blues.jpg

But then maybe things were beginning to look better:
Is the detection of accelerated sea level rise imminent?

s-l300.jpg

And then finally:
Climate-change–driven accelerated sea-level rise detected in the altimeter era.

e928ec302c85ce5a13e8973865c4e4bb--snoopy-happy-dance-dancing-snoopy.jpg

There's a new report hitting the news outlets on sea level rise:

Researchers issue first-annual sea-level report cards

They begin their charts in 1969:

An earlier analysis by Boon showed that this non-linear change or acceleration began
in 1987, at the center of a 36-year sliding window beginning in 1969—thus setting the start date
for the VIMS report cards. This is decades after many U.S. tide-gauge stations began operation.

And they extrapolate the quadratic out to 2050.

That's right, they don't use the entire data set from tide gauges and cherry pick the start point
to make sure the quadratic formula generates a positive curve.

I've run this graph

1zv7rwg.jpg

before that shows that sea level rise picked up a bit in the late '80s after dropping from a higher
rate in the '50s.

The dishonesty that comes from the other side of the coin is truly breath taking.

I have to wonder how the recent falling sea level (last 8 years) on the North east coast,will affect their numbers?

From my daily search on Sea Level in the news:

Tidalgate: Climate Alarmists Caught Faking Sea Level Rise

Alarmist scientists have been caught red-handed tampering with
raw data in order to exaggerate sea level rise.

When alarmists in charge of surface temperature datasets make
dishonest adjustments to exaggerate the appearance of global
warming, it looks like corruption.

When alarmists in the entirely separate field of sea level measurement
make precisely the same sort of dishonest adjustments in order to
accord with the same global warming narrative, it starts to look
like a conspiracy.​
Breitbart.com​
Brietbart LOL

Just keep lying and believing idiot propaganda

From your own article.....

"So there is nothing per se wrong with PSMSL making adjustments in order to make the different datasets align."

"In Aden, for example, the alarmists have turned a modest 1.21 mm/year rise into a 3.02 mm/year rise."

So, first, your own article has to admit that there has in fact been a rise in the sea level even if it's not as big as what's been reporting. It also fully admits that there's nothing necessarily wrong with adjusting this data they just don't seem to fully understand why. In otherwords the sea levels are definately rising, and the scientists who study them seem to think it's even worse than their initial measurements indicate even though a bunch of science illerate skeptics don't seem to understand why.

We know these people, they just read titles and the author's conclusion. Who need actual facts. That's how this type of propaganda works. Man, these people are truly the lowest of the low this country has to offer

Brietbart LOL

Just keep lying and believing idiot propaganda

We know these people, they just read titles and the author's conclusion. Who need actual facts. That's how this type of propaganda works. Man, these people are truly the lowest of the low this country has to offer

It is not what Brietbart or anyone else says, Both PSMSL and NOAA are public records,
Steve Chase linked to both back in post #25.
Data and Station Information for ADEN
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/sltrends_station.shtml?stnid=485-001
The PSMSL has about 160 mm of increase in 137 years, (roughly 6912 mm to 7073 mm)
it would be really difficult to get NOAA's claimed 3.02 mm/year out of that change.

...NOAA's claimed 3.02 mm/year out of that change.
--and google says "about 3.2 millimeters per year.Oct 21, 2013

What we got (supposedly) are coastal harbor water levels higher up on the tide gauges. One question nobody's asking is whether this might also mean that it's not the seas rising but rather the coasts sinking. Like, we know that mountain top elevations (above sea level) have been increasing --why does this mean the mountains are rising, why not say the sea levels are falling?

Let's remember that if the floating ice up north is melting that will not cause any change (re Archimedes principle).

--and google says "about 3.2 millimeters per year.Oct 21, 2013

What we got (supposedly) are coastal harbor water levels higher up on the tide gauges. One question nobody's asking is whether this might also mean that it's not the seas rising but rather the coasts sinking. Like, we know that mountain top elevations (above sea level) have been increasing --why does this mean the mountains are rising, why not say the sea levels are falling?

Let's remember that if the floating ice up north is melting that will not cause any change (re Archimedes principle).
I think the real problem is that NOAA cites the PSMSL as the source for their data, but made "adjustments" to the PSMSL data.
Example PSMSL 1880 first data point 6888 mm, NOAA 1880 first data point 6680 mm.
That subtle lowering of the early years by 200 mm from the claimed source record is where the difference comes from.
The alarmist don't like to talk about it, but sea level is really only a local concern, in as much as,
if the local sea level is raising quickly, it could be a concern.
What happens on the open ocean, means little, if it is not reflected in the local level.
I think the satellites can measure up to their 30 mm resolution, but that that resolution is too poor
to see a change of 3mm per year.

Always impressed at the rank amateurs who understand sea level measurement trends AND Greenland ice changes AND oceanography AND basic physics AND population biology of polar bears AND forest ecology AND the lifecycle of pine bark beetles AND the impact of cosmic rays on atmospherics AND the methodology of determining scientific consensus...all much better than the experts in each of those areas.

Always impressed at the rank amateurs who understand sea level measurement trends AND Greenland ice changes AND oceanography AND basic physics AND population biology of polar bears AND forest ecology AND the lifecycle of pine bark beetles AND the impact of cosmic rays on atmospherics AND the methodology of determining scientific consensus...all much better than the experts in each of those areas.

Oh the irony :shock:

Good for you!

Science is all about feelings. If by the end your findings don't jive with what you feel to be right, you're just not doing it right.

Especially when your continued paycheck depends upon how you feel as a government "scientist"

It takes a G-man to know everything, except how to actually earn their paychecks, that's OUR field of expertise

I am not sure what is impressive about looking at the NOAA numbers that are supposedly based on the PSMSL numbers,
and see that they are different.
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/data/485-001_meantrend.txt
1880 1 6.680
http://www.psmsl.org/data/obtaining/rlr.monthly.data/44.rlrdata
1880.0416; 6888;
It is not exactly rocket science to see that the first month of 1880 from NOAA is 200 mm lower
than it's source at PSMSL.

I am not sure what is impressive about looking at the NOAA numbers that are supposedly based on the PSMSL numbers,
and see that they are different.
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/data/485-001_meantrend.txt
1880 1 6.680
http://www.psmsl.org/data/obtaining/rlr.monthly.data/44.rlrdata
1880.0416; 6888;
It is not exactly rocket science to see that the first month of 1880 from NOAA is 200 mm lower
than it's source at PSMSL.

Did you miss my point, or are you just too obtuse to see it?

...I think the satellites can measure up to their 30 mm resolution, but that that resolution is too poor
to see a change of 3mm per year.
Google Earth horizontal measurements can be accurate, you can measure your house lot to say the nearest meter, but they admit that elevations are off by 30 meters or so. The best I could find for sea leve measurement was the Topex/Poseidon System:

...able to observe the height of the satellite above the sea surface between ±66° latitude with a precision of ±2 cm and an accuracy of ±3.2 cm...​

Google Earth horizontal measurements can be accurate, you can measure your house lot to say the nearest meter, but they admit that elevations are off by 30 meters or so. The best I could find for sea leve measurement was the Topex/Poseidon System:

...able to observe the height of the satellite above the sea surface between ±66° latitude with a precision of ±2 cm and an accuracy of ±3.2 cm...​
There is a technical reason why they can only get an accuracy of 22 mm or so, it comes from the wavelength
of the microwave.
My point is that with a measuring stick with 22 to 34 mm minimum units, saying something is growing at
3 mm per year, is questionable.

Nobody here fits that desciption.

There are lots of people here who understand enough about the things they choose to talk about to have reasonable and supported opinions.

You are one of those who talks about all of the above yet have no clue about anything at all seemingly.

There goes another 100 million of tax payer money down the drain! a flod wall/barrier is only as good as it's lowest point, better raise everyones seawall! LOL

Of course you are correct but the dimwits cant think that far.

Miami beach is a victim of its own greed, the hotel owners were allowed to build their hotels right on the beach to keep it exclusive for hotel guests.

Miami Beach:
PC07664.jpg

In Rio no hotels are located within several hundred yards of any beaches. Their sea levels are not "rising." (beach being washed away)

Copacabana beach in Rio:

aerial-view-of-the-world-famous-copacabana-beach-in-rio-de-janeiro-BD4H0J.jpg

What has happened in Miami Beach is that wind and wave driven beach erosion has been exacerbated by concrete structures a few yards from waters edge which prevents beach sand collection and aids in its washing away.

The taxpayers are simply putting money in the pockets of Hotel Owners to temporarily "fix" the problem. The only real fix is to bulldoze the hotels and move them back on the other side of the beach highway.

Last edited:
I agree with Breitbart.com. Science isn't about revising or rechecking. The first thing you think is always the only thing to think, forever. That's why I'm using leeches to work out this headache.

Let me know if they work.

I get gargantuan migraines.

I see we've now heard from the silly and shallow participants.

For those interested in substance:

". . . The whistle was blown by two Australian scientists Dr. Albert Parker and Dr. Clifford Ollier in a paper for Earth Systems and Environment.
The paper – Is the Sea Level Stable at Aden, Yemen?examines the discrepancies between raw and adjusted sea level data in Aden, Karachi and Mumbai. . . ."

But not one thing in your post adds or subtracts to the substance of this article, and that is Trumping all climate data. Like Trump lying, anything that comes out is branded "fake news" and you guys start throwing irrelevant bull**** around to make it sound"scientific"

I used to hang on that side, then came Trump and then came the "anti" side and he looked a lot alike. With him as your lead spokesman don't expect the world to fall in line.

It seems anymore anything posted on climate isn't worth reading, even when a legitimate report comes out everyone in Trump's world has a ****ing orgasm.

I was with you until your side started lying a hundred times more.

Lastly, I see a glacier, have been hiking it for 40+ years, that is until it retreated 5.5 km in a matter of a few years.

No one who has seen it can give me a better explanation than "it's just a co-incidence" other than it's getting warmer.

Yeah, the glacier got tired of being walked on and melted itself.

As with the Trump movement, I no longer believe ANYTHING from the anti side....there simply has been too much misrepresentation, lies, propaganda....and of course it couldn't involve the American right without a good healthy dose of childish name calling

Nobody here fits that desciption.

There are lots of people here who understand enough about the things they choose to talk about to have reasonable and supported opinions.

You are one of those who talks about all of the above yet have no clue about anything at all seemingly.

Yeah. Like you talking about Greenland ice balance.

LOL.

Please note what I’ve said here that is contrary to the bulk of scientific opinion in the field.

Because the point of my post is that we have quite a few people here who seem to have views that are wildly divergent with the scientific consensus on a vast swath of areas.

And that’s how you know they are blithering idiots...because one might have a solid independently contrary position in an area of physics, but when the *same* guy also has a solid independently contrary position in an area of BIOLOGY... that’s when the BS detector should go off.

The choice of messenger virtually guarantees that the issue is bull****.
It’s why I don’t bother to seriously consider the patient care merits of articles published by retired accountants in the Journal of Homeopathy.

And we know this from the climate-gate emails?

Of course you are correct but the dimwits cant think that far.

Miami beach is a victim of its own greed, the hotel owners were allowed to build their hotels right on the beach to keep it exclusive for hotel guests.

Miami Beach:
View attachment 67230296

In Rio no hotels are located within several hundred yards of any beaches. Their sea levels are not "rising." (beach being washed away)

Copacabana beach in Rio:

View attachment 67230297

What has happened in Miami Beach is that wind and wave driven beach erosion has been exacerbated by concrete structures a few yards from waters edge which prevents beach sand collection and aids in its washing away.

The taxpayers are simply putting money in the pockets of Hotel Owners to temporarily "fix" the problem. The only real fix is to bulldoze the hotels and move them back on the other side of the beach highway.

I stayed on the Copacabana strip and my hotel as were many hotels were right across the street from the beach, not sure what this is saying because it just isn't true.

Back
Top Bottom