• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Character is Fate / Know Thyself

No one stated you were. Self-flattery will get you nowhere.

Frank had this kind of arrogance in his posts. Must be a thing with evangelicals.

I'm not sure what to attribute it to. Wanting to look educated and/or lettered, and then destroying that by speaking, is an odd thing.
Your persistence in the discussion of me is flattering, I confess. But at some point you will have to demonstrate your bona fides anent the thread topic, or risk a judgment of frivolity.

Your persistence in the discussion of me is flattering, I confess. But at some point you will have to demonstrate your bona fides anent the thread topic, or risk a judgment of frivolity.

The thread has no topic, you were not honest about your absurd nostalgia trip and you have no bona fides on the subject as a result. You have nothing but 'feels' and you actively evade any skeptical discussion of your fantasy. All you are doing is asserting a fantasy with no reference to a skeptical framework which is outside the guidelines of this forum section. You might think that trying to dress up your evangelical religion in cod philosophical language means that I haven't noticed that you are doing that but, that is essentially what you are about. Posts that ape a low rent William Lane Craig are dull but, at least he earns a buck from it I guess.

The thread has no topic, you were not honest about your absurd nostalgia trip and you have no bona fides on the subject as a result. You have nothing but 'feels' and you actively evade any skeptical discussion of your fantasy. All you are doing is asserting a fantasy with no reference to a skeptical framework which is outside the guidelines of this forum section. You might think that trying to dress up your evangelical religion in cod philosophical language means that I haven't noticed that you are doing that but, that is essentially what you are about. Posts that ape a low rent William Lane Craig are dull but, at least he earns a buck from it I guess.
I'm sorry. I wasn't aware until this latest post of yours that my argument might be too abstruse for some members.
Here's what I'm arguing:
Ancient wisdom had something important to teach us.
Our "fate" in these brief lives of ours is greatly determined by who we are -- by our character in the broadest sense of the term.
Accordingly, the perennial injunction to self-knowledge assumes cosmic importance.
And looking around at the world today, it seems that human being has lost its way for neglect of the ancient wisdom.
I hope this helps you.

I'm sorry. I wasn't aware until this latest post of yours that my argument might be too abstruse for some members.
Here's what I'm arguing:
Ancient wisdom had something important to teach us.
Our "fate" in these brief lives of ours is greatly determined by who we are -- by our character in the broadest sense of the term.
Accordingly, the perennial injunction to self-knowledge assumes cosmic importance.
And looking around at the world today, it seems that human being has lost its way for neglect of the ancient wisdom.
I hope this helps you.

You made an error there, abstruse is not a synonym for transparent which is what your argument was from the start.

When I challenged your argument for what it is you were dishonest and denied that you were making reference to the past and in doing so you destroyed your credibility. You were forced to be dishonest because I saw through your absurd assertion and asked you for evidence regarding narcissism which you could not provide, you denied you were using narcissism in any time relevant context because you were busted.

I actually wouldn't mind mind your new age codswallop so much if you were being honest with it and not trying to hide it away under crap philosophy. It leads me to question why you are so ashamed of your faith that you hide it away?

You made an error there, abstruse is not a synonym for transparent which is what your argument was from the start.

When I challenged your argument for what it is you were dishonest and denied that you were making reference to the past and in doing so you destroyed your credibility. You were forced to be dishonest because I saw through your absurd assertion and asked you for evidence regarding narcissism which you could not provide, you denied you were using narcissism in any time relevant context because you were busted.

I actually wouldn't mind mind your new age codswallop so much if you were being honest with it and not trying to hide it away under crap philosophy. It leads me to question why you are so ashamed of your faith that you hide it away?
Still quibbling over your own misunderstanding of my posts, and still reusing to engage the topic, and still flattering me with your personal attention. Not what I had hoped for, but I'll take the crumbs you offer if it keeps conversation going.

Still quibbling over your own misunderstanding of my posts, and still reusing to engage the topic, and still flattering me with your personal attention. Not what I had hoped for, but I'll take the crumbs you offer if it keeps conversation going.

If you had evidence you would have presented it to counter my point about narcissism. You don't and you can't so you quibbled over my example that I used to try to get a response from you and then tried to use 50 years as a span and failed with that. Dishonest to the core Angel, you are busted.

If you had evidence you would have presented it to counter my point about narcissism. You don't and you can't so you quibbled over my example that I used to try to get a response from you and then tried to use 50 years as a span and failed with that. Dishonest to the core Angel, you are busted.
Only my balls are being busted, my friend. But carry on.

Why make the statement? You'd have to ask Heraclitus. He made the statement. I merely quoted him. All of Ancient Greek tragic drama seems to agree with him. So you disagree with him. Fine. That's your prerogative. But you introduce the moral dimension; it is not in the OP. Moreover, bad things happening to good people is not a counter-example to the OP.

Oh good, appeal to authority. More fallacy from the master.

What fallacy? Attributing a quote is a fallacy in your book?

No, refusing to answer a direct question by saying to go talk to an expert, who is, in this case dead. If you have no answers, be honest. Don't try to push the answers off on an authority.

No, refusing to answer a direct question by saying to go talk to an expert, who is, in this case dead. If you have no answers, be honest. Don't try to push the answers off on an authority.
I answered the question, and corrected the attribution. What are you going on about?

I answered the question, and corrected the attribution. What are you going on about?

YOU posted the quote #1.
YOU then stated that the quote was your shared opinion #9.
YOU then hand waved away questions about it by trying to tell us that we should speak to Heraclitus.

You then ask why you are given a hard time with 'quibbles' over what you post?

Know thyself indeed Angel.

YOU posted the quote #1.
Yes, in the OP.
YOU then stated that the quote was your shared opinion #9.
Yes, #9 -- on the Beatles' White Album, I trow.
Here it is:
I'm with you on this, Maggie. Based on long observation, both of others and of myself, the truth of this maxim is borne out to a moral certainty. This is one of the great half-forgotten truths of the human experience.

YOU then hand waved away questions about it by trying to tell us that we should speak to Heraclitus.
Post please.
You then ask why you are given a hard time with 'quibbles' over what you post?
Asked? No, never asked. I know why you need to give me a hard time. I understand your quibbles. Your neediness is an open secret, my friend. I don't mind. I'm charitable and patient when it comes to human neediness.

Yes, in the OP.

Yes, #9 -- on the Beatles' White Album, I trow.
Here it is:

Post please.

Asked? No, never asked. I know why you need to give me a hard time. I understand your quibbles. Your neediness is an open secret, my friend. I don't mind. I'm charitable and patient when it comes to human neediness.
You are busted Angel. The holes in your assertions are there for everyone to see. If you can't see them, that's your problem.

You are busted Angel. The holes in your assertions are there for everyone to see. If you can't see them, that's your problem.
No, William, you're only busting chops. You don't seem to understand the OP thesis and have avoided it strenuously, so I think it's safe to say you don't get it, which is fine, man. That's part of the reason you're busting chops.

No, William, you're only busting chops. You don't seem to understand the OP thesis and have avoided it strenuously, so I think it's safe to say you don't get it, which is fine, man. That's part of the reason you're busting chops.
This is not a misunderstanding Angel, I understand what you are trying to do completely, whatever you do, do not mistake me for someone that has not encountered evangelical extremists before.

I'm busting you because I don't buy into your presupposition and you have nothing to counter reasonable questioning of your dogmatic position.

This is not a misunderstanding Angel, I understand what you are trying to do completely, whatever you do, do not mistake me for someone that has not encountered evangelical extremists before.

I'm busting you because I don't buy into your presupposition and you have nothing to counter reasonable questioning of your dogmatic position.
You're bustin' my chops because you have nothing better to do and nothing to say on this topic, nothing that isn't Dawkins Rote, that is.
And "evangelical extremist"? I practice no religion whatsoever, and believe all religions are true. Sorry to confuse you, lad, but you make it so easy!

He's full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Zing!

Golly! Wotta debaitor!

Ironic coming from someone that never debates and offers up a lot of dead people to try to compensate for a lack of authority.

Ironic coming from someone that never debates and offers up a lot of dead people to try to compensate for a lack of authority.

Hilarious, coming as it does from a copy/pasta merchant who also posts inane images.

Hilarious, coming as it does from a copy/pasta merchant who also posts inane images.
Welcome to the fan club, zyzygy!
Just keep those zingers coming, lad! They're so lovably outré!

Welcome to the fan club, zyzygy!
Just keep those zingers coming, lad! They're so lovably outré!

Yes, I can understand this post in the context of the ass kicking that your assertions are getting on here.

CKfsts3.png

wQJvo10.jpg

Two pieces of ANCIENT WISDOM

"Character is Fate"

"Know Thyself"

Yes?

No?

Maybe?

So?

Can you appreciate their lovely complementarity?

Can you express this complementarity in your own words?

Is this wisdom the answer to the narcissism of our times?

[Hewing to the rules of this forum, this thread is "dedicated and limited to discussion of a ... philosophical topic."

Silliness will be silently judged off-screen.

Peace.]

J0LiQdjt.jpg

Very good quote--but isn't astounding that 80% of Evangelicals in this country voted for a man with no honor, no respect, no dignity, no humility, and the only loyalty he had ever shown anyone was to himself & Vladimir Putin. Basically they elected a man with no character.

Maybe a good new quote should be. The very next time you vote for someone, you should probably pay attention to their "character."

00-matt-wuerker-were-sticking-with-trump-2016.jpg

Very good quote--but isn't astounding that 80% of Evangelicals in this country voted for a man with no honor, no respect, no dignity, no humility, and the only loyalty he had ever shown anyone was to himself & Vladimir Putin. Basically they elected a man with no character.

Maybe a good new quote should be. The very next time you vote for someone, you should probably pay attention to their "character."
Partisan flak aside, you raise a fairly interesting question, namely, whether being a good judge of character is itself an offshoot of character.

Back
Top Bottom