• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada relieved trade deal done, won't forget Trump attacks

Compete in what way? Canada and the US are different countries with different economic circumstances, the US is more powerful due to a higher population and not having a country that is half tundra.

Trump was the one who whined about Canada being unfair and insulted Canada at every turn, he got his deal, but I do not think Canada should forget these insults and frankly maybe Canada should stop doing the US favors, like the Operation Yellow Ribbon and the Canadian Caper, if you guys take Canada for granted. This is not whining, its just a fact if you insult someone, they will likely remember it.

What does ''accept it and get the Hell out'', mean? How does that apply to a country?

Free markets imply competition. Hitting a major league curve ball is a pretty difficult thing to do. People compete for the chance to do it and then compete with the pitcher throwing it to hit it more often than the pitcher can throw it.

I was making an analogy between competing in this particular sliver of this particular sport and competing in the free market. I'm sorry if I was moving too fast.

Hardest Pitch to Hit - Toughest MLB Pitches for Batters

So how is threatening Canada with tariffs a fair negotiating tactic? When are those steel tariffs going to go away? And what about US lumber tariffs and dairy subsides?

American conservatives assume they are only patriotic people in the world, but there are people in other countries just as patriotic as you and do not like having the US push them around.

I might have misinterpreted something. Wasn't there a trade deal signed between the US, Mexico and Canada?

You seem to be fighting a battle that has ended with the mutual agreement of all parties.

Thought we'd been taking your lunch money for years. What was all that, "Canada as been treating us very badly for a long time!" if not whining?
It's not over yet, either. By this time next year Trump will be crying again, you watch.

From what he's said, he's happy.

Whining implies complaint with no suggested resolution.

Complaints that come from a party who is also recommending a solution is hardly whining. Especially when the prescription is defined so clearly.

Children whine. Parents dictate. In this case, Trump was the parent.

I might have misinterpreted something. Wasn't there a trade deal signed between the US, Mexico and Canada?

You seem to be fighting a battle that has ended with the mutual agreement of all parties.

The steel tariffs against Canada remain in place despite this deal, when are those going away?

Free markets imply competition. Hitting a major league curve ball is a pretty difficult thing to do. People compete for the chance to do it and then compete with the pitcher throwing it to hit it more often than the pitcher can throw it.

I was making an analogy between competing in this particular sliver of this particular sport and competing in the free market. I'm sorry if I was moving too fast.

Hardest Pitch to Hit - Toughest MLB Pitches for Batters

And how was Canada not being competitive in general? Canada's ability to compete with say the US is limited by its smaller population.

The problem is that what Trump ..."got" from this deal is not worthy of a claim of a total re-work of NAFTA.

Trump could have achieved the same results without killing the term NAFTA. I understand why he did...but it wasn't necessary.

Trade is an ongoing process. We, the US, can not rename our trade agreements every time a new deal is struck. Trump has his "trade deal" that does little more that open the US's massive dairy market to small Canada.

Trump wins in the "Optics" war.

One way how trump outsmarted canada and china is the provision in the usmca deal where Canada must give notification of any trade negotiation with a non market economy.

Trudeau foolishly tried to start trade negotiations with China. This clause would put a end to that.

China is trying to backdoor there way into Na. Now the U.s can cut them off in the rear.

Trump shows us no respect, so why should we show him any? Freeland is well liked here by both sides of the political spectrum, due to this and her stance on Saudi Arabia. Peter Mackay, the one they quote in your first article was the minister of foreign affairs under Harper and he approves. Trump is actually helping Trudeau, Trump's aggressiveness towards Canada just made people rally in support of Trudeau and the Liberals, it was an amazing gift to Trudeau's poll numbers.

Trudeau foolishly risked the global economic security but negotiating with China.

He will pay election day. We don't need pms who praise communists in office.

Trudeau foolishly risked the global economic security but negotiating with China.

He will pay election day. We don't need pms who praise communists in office.

LOL. Are some people still under the impression that China is communist?:lamo

They are more capitalist than we are!

One way how trump outsmarted canada and china is the provision in the usmca deal where Canada must give notification of any trade negotiation with a non market economy.

Trudeau foolishly tried to start trade negotiations with China. This clause would put a end to that.

China is trying to backdoor there way into Na. Now the U.s can cut them off in the rear.

Trump did not outsmart anyone. Trump used the US's massive resources, bully pulpit, and big stick to get small changes from a small nation ...who is supposed to be one of our closest allies and trading partner.

Dairy producers in the US are not suffering because Canada blocked US producers from flooding the Canadian market.

China has not produced any change in our trade deficit.

And how was Canada not being competitive in general? Canada's ability to compete with say the US is limited by its smaller population.

Then let the games go on!

Are there currently ongoing negotiations on this?

Does not seem like it, Trump kept those steel tariffs in place and Canada is enacting counter measures against them.

Then let the games go on!

You say Canada is not competive, but you seem to know very little about Canada, which means you may not know what you are talking about in regards to Canada. The US has the advantage of most of its land not being a frozen waste land. The US can use far more of its land then Canada.

Does not seem like it, Trump kept those steel tariffs in place and Canada is enacting counter measures against them.

Are the moves on either side included in the recently agreed to USMCA?

You say Canada is not competive, but you seem to know very little about Canada, which means you may not know what you are talking about in regards to Canada. The US has the advantage of most of its land not being a frozen waste land. The US can use far more of its land then Canada.

In what post did I say that Canada is not competitive?

Well clearly Trump wanted to keep these steel tariffs and did not negate them with the deal and so Canada is putting counter measures against them:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4538937/canada-quotas-steel-imports-tariffs/amp/

Trump could have dropped these steel tariffs but he chose not to.

Ah-ha!

So Canada is imposing tariffs on trading partners outside of the USMCA in order to accomplish the mutual goals of the USMCA trading partners.

This seems to be exactly opposite of what you seemed to be implying.

Was I misunderstanding what you were asserting? It sounded like you were saying that Canada was applying the penalties to trade with the US.

From your link:

<snip>
In a bid to address those concerns the Canadian government – acting on a promise it made in March – on Thursday said it would impose new quotas and tariffs on imports of seven categories of steel from many countries to head off a potential rise in imports.

A tariff of 25 percent will apply starting Oct. 25, 2018 to imports “in cases where the level of imports from trading partners exceeds historical norms,” a government statement said.
<snip>

Ah-ha!

So Canada is imposing tariffs on trading partners outside of the USMCA in order to accomplish the mutual goals of the USMCA trading partners.

This seems to be exactly opposite of what you seemed to be implying.

Was I misunderstanding what you were asserting? It sounded like you were saying that Canada was applying the penalties to trade with the US.

From your link:

<snip>
In a bid to address those concerns the Canadian government – acting on a promise it made in March – on Thursday said it would impose new quotas and tariffs on imports of seven categories of steel from many countries to head off a potential rise in imports.

A tariff of 25 percent will apply starting Oct. 25, 2018 to imports “in cases where the level of imports from trading partners exceeds historical norms,” a government statement said.
<snip>

So when those steel tariffs getting dropped then? How are those tariffs fair? You guys already seem to want to micromanage our steel industry based on the BS theory that Canada is allowing China to dump steel into the US.

Right here:

https://www.debatepolitics.com/cana...nt-forget-trump-attacks-2.html#post1069131396

Man I am sick of Trump supporters forgetting about their original arguments in these debates, stand by your words.

You inferred something that I did not post. There is not one word in that post that says that I think that Canada is not competitive. It did say that you are whining and the evidence for that is ample.

Care to try again?

In what post did I say that Canada is not competitive?

So when those steel tariffs getting dropped then? How are those tariffs fair? You guys already seem to want to micromanage our steel industry based on the BS theory that Canada is allowing China to dump steel into the US.

More whining.

I am aware that Canada agreed to enter into the USMCA.

Are you asserting that Canada was coerced into this and that Canada was deceived or in some way swindled due to their weakness or stupidity?

What is the point of your ongoing whining?

More whining.

I am aware that Canada agreed to enter into the USMCA.

Are you asserting that Canada was coerced into this and that Canada was deceived or in some way swindled due to their weakness or stupidity?

What is the point of your ongoing whining?

I am saying Trump kept on saying Canada was being unfair when it comes to trade, but how are these steel tariffs fair?

Your side whined all the time about how unfair Canada was in terms of trade, but when Canadians say that is BS, you say they are whining. Seems like you have a spoiled attitude, the US can stand up for itself, but Canada cannot stand by for itself, that is "whining".

I am not whining, I am telling you the truth about Canada US relations, which you seem ignorant of. You guys always seem to default to this "stop whining" tactic when you do not have an actual argument.

What about US trade practices, like lumber tariffs, dumping corn into Mexico and subsidizing your dairy sector? How are those fair? Do you think the US never played dirty when it comes to trade?

So Canada did not get the worst deal ever here, but its not some huge win fall for Canada, you guys bashed Canada because of your victim complex, not due to facts on the ground.

And the Canadian counter steel tariffs are still in place, which the governor of Kentucky is complaining about:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4861554

He thinks Canada is being unfair, why should Canada not fight fire with fire? Kentucky's largest foreign export market is Canada, so stop messing with us.

Is the governor of Kentucky whining?

Last edited:
I am saying Trump kept on saying Canada was being unfair when it comes to trade, but how are these steel tariffs fair?

Your side whined all the time about how unfair Canada was in terms of trade, but when Canadians say that is BS, you say they are whining. Seems like you have a spoiled attitude, the US can stand up for itself, but Canada cannot stand by for itself, that is "whining".

I am not whining, I am telling you the truth about Canada US relations, which you seem ignorant of. You guys always seem to default to this "stop whining" tactic when you do not have an actual argument.

What about US trade practices, like lumber tariffs, dumping corn into Mexico and subsidizing your dairy sector? How are those fair? Do you think the US never played dirty when it comes to trade?

So Canada did not get the worst deal ever here, but its not some huge win fall for Canada, you guys bashed Canada because of your victim complex, not due to facts on the ground.

And the Canadian counter steel tariffs are still in place, which the governor of Kentucky is complaining about:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4861554

He thinks Canada is being unfair, why should Canada not fight fire with fire? Kentucky's largest foreign export market is Canada, so stop messing with us.

Is the governor of Kentucky whining?

You say that you don"t like it when I say you are whining and then go on to continue whining. I find this to be confusing.

If the actions taken by either country are allowed by the terms of the agreement, then that's wonderful.

If not, it makes me wonder why the agreement was signed.

You seem to feel that Canada feels ill used by the agreement. That is your right. I don't care. I'm glad the deal got done and glad that the US and Canada are working together as they settle into this newly re-defined trading relationship.

Beats the hell outa warfare.

You say that you don"t like it when I say you are whining and then go on to continue whining. I find this to be confusing.

If the actions taken by either country are allowed by the terms of the agreement, then that's wonderful.

If not, it makes me wonder why the agreement was signed.

You seem to feel that Canada feels ill used by the agreement. That is your right. I don't care. I'm glad the deal got done and glad that the US and Canada are working together as they settle into this newly re-defined trading relationship.

Beats the hell outa warfare.

What does any of this have to do welfare?

Frankly the fact you don't care seems to suggest you do not care about these tariffs affect people in Kentucky.

Is this the worst deal for Canada? No. Is it the best deal for Canada? No. I do not see how these steel tariffs are fair, I bet you can't defend them. Just because this not a horrible deal for Canada does not I can't criticize stuff like the steel tariffs.

You guys constantly complain about "Anti Americanism" but your side is fine with Canada bashing and think Canadians should just put up with American conservatives bashing Canada? Sounds like a double standard.

What does any of this have to do welfare?

Frankly the fact you don't care seems to suggest you do not care about these tariffs affect people in Kentucky.

Is this the worst deal for Canada? No. Is it the best deal for Canada? No. I do not see how these steel tariffs are fair, I bet you can't defend them. Just because this not a horrible deal for Canada does not I can't criticize stuff like the steel tariffs.

You guys constantly complain about "Anti Americanism" but your side is fine with Canada bashing and think Canadians should just put up with American conservatives bashing Canada? Sounds like a double standard.

More whining.

I'll try this again: I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada signed the deal and the deal is done. YOU continue to whine about it.

Apparently, your government liked the deal . You have issues with the deal. That's fine.

You need to argue with your government that is not representing your views. Your argument is with pretty boy, not me.

Back
Top Bottom