• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bus Driver Tells Passengers Only U.S. Citizens Can Ride

Now if the driver had said only people with a legal right to be in the USA can ride this bus due to the actions of the border patrol agent, he might have been right but to say only US citizens can ride a bus the bought a ticket for is BS.

The fact that the bus driver got involved at all seems rather strange to me. His job is to drive the bus, he should have been focused on that. I don't particularly see why this is newsworthy though, I'm sure there are more pressing stories other than some idiot making stupid comments. The passengers should contact the business and alert them of the driver's behavior.

They don't have a right to check everybody.
And, before they've checked, how do they know who is undocumented?
Finally, you still don't have to be a citizen to ride a bus.

You seem to be conflating the ignorant words of the bus drive with that of ice. You asked when this has been done before Trump, in that article it clearly states this has been going on for a long time (read as under previous administrations). The only difference is the bus driver which completely unrelated to ICE and Trump.

Any chance the bus was bound for Canada?

I do know they aren't citizens.

Yet, they were allowed to ride a bus in the United States! How could they do that?

Something is seriously wrong in this country if we are allowing non-citizens to ride public transport...

Something is seriously wrong in this country if we are allowing non-citizens to ride public transport...

Some believe they should be allowed to drive. Even own a car!

Catch the next bus or walk. Get a bike,buy a used Pontiac. Just improvise.

Next they'll be buyin' land and sleepin' with our women. I just don't know what nationalism has come to in this country. Does anyone put America first?

It is downright frightening that a border patrol, a sheriff, any other law enforcement officer can start demanding proof of citizenship, or any other sort of official papers that really aren't required for the situation, and we have people supporting that action and saying that we should just sit back and take it.

And then, these same people call themselves "conservatives," and want to claim that "liberals" are a threat to liberty.

Have we really come so far from our ideals of a free society that this sort of thing has become acceptable? We've already lost some of our freedom to the so called "war on drugs." It appears that now we have a war in illegal immigrants, and that the real casualty in that war will also be basic freedoms.

If have news for the self described conservatives, who are really extreme authoritarians: There are ten amendments in the Bill of Rights, not just one. The Second is not the only one under attack.

Oh, sure, I know the meme: The second keeps the others safe. That's a whole lot of bull. No, the fourth and fifth amendments, the ones really under attack currently, aren't going to be saved by the second. We aren't ready for armed revolution, at least not yet. We should be about ready for a peaceful revolution at the ballot box, howevdr.

In almost all states, there is no requirement in law to show your ID unless you are crossing an international border (which makes sense) or you have been lawfully arrested.
There is no requirement to answer questions either (5th!) at internal drug ooops i mean immigration check points (why have drug sniffing dogs at so-called immigration check points?) or DUI check points.
There is no requirement to agree to drug searches oops I mean so-called secondary inspections at immigration checkpoints. Agree at your peril. Why not agree with a road-side cavity search while you are at it?
They can detain you for ~20 minutes, after which it can get expensive for them.

Customs and Border Patrol can enter any private property with 25 miles of the border at any time. They do not need a warrant. In theory, there will be a time that someone in government will allow the police to accompany a CBP officer to do 'immigration' checks of your back yard, however many acres that could be.

This is where Mel Gibson yells "FREEDOM!" right before they kill him.

"... Immigration inspections at transportation hubs are not a new practice. U.S. Border Patrol, which is part of Customs and Border Protection, has the authority to conduct citizenship checks without a warrant within 100 miles of the nation’s land and coastal borders. That includes the entire state of Maine. ..."

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/01...ons-immigration-checks-at-bangor-bus-station/

How come the ACLU and media has never reported on these kind of checks before? Did they never happened before Trump became president?

Not talking about immigration inspections, let them proceed.
The story is about a coach driver attempting to inform riders that U.S. citizenship is required to use their bus service.
It's too bad so many on the right are engaged in such masturbatory glee over the prospect of rounding up illegals that they have difficulty comprehending details that any simpleton could understand.

And of others criticizing the bus driver, any private business can deny doing business with anyone when not in violation of the Civil Rights Act. Any business can refrain from doing business with non citizens. Stupid, and cutting off one's nose to spite the face, yet lawful.

Incorrect.

Incorrect.

You as a private businessman can refuse to do business for any reason that doesn't violate the Civil Rights Act, or unless contrary to local or state laws.

Scotus recently used the same reasoning to uphold the infamous bakery decision not to make a gay wedding cake. Homosexuality is not protected against discrimination under the Civil Rights Act. During 1969 it wasn't on LBJ's radar.

In the matter of non-citizens, it would be foolish to force businesses that sell guns or explosives to non-citizens. I'm not stating that it is righteous to refuse doing business with non-citizens, whether a barber selling haircut services or a bus service refusing transportation, merely that there is no law compelling any business to do business with anyone they choose not to serve, with exception of Civil Rights protections.

The problem is that this is currently a hot button topic, and what we may think should be, isn't. I always refused to do business with anyone who shaved their heads and cultivated extra long ear hair into pigtails or who had eyebrows that knitted together into one long bushy eyebrow over both eyes. This is all so silly. This is where we vote with our pockets.

They are not exceeding their authority. US Customs and Border Agents can travel wherever in the country the job takes them. Traditionally, border agents have worked every inland navigable river under Federal jurisdiction, regardless of the current administration. You can leave your partisan politics at the door.

And of others criticizing the bus driver, any private business can deny doing business with anyone when not in violation of the Civil Rights Act. Any business can refrain from doing business with non citizens. Stupid, and cutting off one's nose to spite the face, yet lawful.

You have to prove your citizenship when you're asked and you're okay with that?
Government agents in the bus and train stations, line-ups, "Papers! Have your papers ready!"
Damn. Sounds like a scene in "The Great Escape".

You as a private businessman can refuse to do business for any reason that doesn't violate the Civil Rights Act, or unless contrary to local or state laws.

Scotus recently used the same reasoning to uphold the infamous bakery decision not to make a gay wedding cake. Homosexuality is not protected against discrimination under the Civil Rights Act. During 1969 it wasn't on LBJ's radar.

In the matter of non-citizens, it would be foolish to force businesses that sell guns or explosives to non-citizens. I'm not stating that it is righteous to refuse doing business with non-citizens, whether a barber selling haircut services or a bus service refusing transportation, merely that there is no law compelling any business to do business with anyone they choose not to serve, with exception of Civil Rights protections.

The problem is that this is currently a hot button topic, and what we may think should be, isn't. I always refused to do business with anyone who shaved their heads and cultivated extra long ear hair into pigtails or who had eyebrows that knitted together into one long bushy eyebrow over both eyes. This is all so silly. This is where we vote with our pockets.

Not sure I'd want to try putting that to a legal test in a court of law. Resident aliens riding a bus aren't the same thing as a gay couple asking a baker to bake a cake. And you might want to check to see just how narrow that bakery ruling really was.
SCOTUS didn't say that the bakery could refuse to bake a cake, they referred specifically to a "gay cake" if I am not mistaken.

Right to refuse to do business pertains more to customer conduct, as in a diner owner refusing to serve patrons who offend other customers by behavior or other factors.

I guess it depends on whether or not resident aliens fall into some kind of protected class.
I'm pretty sure citizenship is only a deciding factor when accessing specific services, most provided by the government.

Some believe they should be allowed to drive. Even own a car!

Next they'll be buyin' land and sleepin' with our women. I just don't know what nationalism has come to in this country. Does anyone put America first?

They're already doing that.
To answer about putting us first is our President Trump. He's making it happened.

To answer about putting us first is our President Trump. He's making it happened.

Bumper sticker or signature material. Read that broken English with a Russian accent and tell me it's not funny.

Last edited:
The bus driver is not a border agent, not to mention buses are not restricted by citizenship.

The bus driver was not acting as a border agent, he was being heckled with questions about a border patrol agent who was screening passengers.

Please do show us where a border patrol agent got on a bus and demanded to see proof of citizenship before Trump started his absurd "zero tolerance" nonsense. If you can't please just admit you were wrong. You don't have to be a citizen to ride a bus.

From 2008

Border checks at Anacortes ferry terminal | Islands' Sounder

Back in January, U.S. Border Patrol officials couldn’t say how often ferry riders on domestic routes serving the San Juans would be questioned about their citizenship upon arrival in Anacortes.

The answer, it would appear today, is regularly.

Twice last week, Border Patrol agents questioned ferry riders arriving from the San Juans about their travel and citizenship during a series of so-called “spot checks” at the Anacortes ferry terminal. Passengers that disembarked three separate ferries were questioned and a total of eight people, including a family of four from San Juan Island, were taken into custody for possible immigration violations, according to Joe Guiliano, deputy chief patrol agent for the Blaine Patrol section of Customs and Border Patrol.

Not all, you are confused, Again.

It is pretty much confirmed as fact but if you want to attempt to refute my position with fact go right ahead.

Back
Top Bottom