• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ben Carson Confuses A Housing Term For A Cookie

I said earlier that he'd be good for Surgeon General but even HHS and the CDC would be better suited for his background.

I passively know someone whose child was a patient of his. He was an exceptional surgeon. But that's his forte - not HUD. I still have no idea how he ended up with this job or why.

Because there is currently a culture of anti-elitism, anti-intellectualism, and anti-expertise in this country. There is suspicion of people with background, knowledge, or experience in a field. So we put a brain surgeon in charge of HUD. We think a Manhattan real estate guy knows more than the generals about the military and the scientists about the climate. And we think all doctors are lying about their recommendations about the importance of vaccines.

Hey, what can go wrong? :lamo

It's below his level. If, for some reason, he was dealing with a HUD home, foreclosure, selling it, buying it, which won't happen, BUT....if it did, I'm sure he would be able to find the meaning of a acronym. You know, like ask the person using it, looking it up, even google, I mean c'mon man, it ain't brain surgery.;):lol:

No, it isn't "below his level" for the reasons I posted (and you ignored).

It's no different than if a Congressperson asked the Secretary of Education a question about High School and the Secretary didn't know what High School was.

REO is one of the most basic and critical parts of HUD. He is in charge of HUD. We fund out yesterday that he doesn't even know about one of the most important matters he is responsible for as the head of HUD.

Then maybe Dr. Carson is better suited to HHS or CDC, just sayin’!

I cannot imagine Ben Carson with a sharp instrument anywhere near my skull, just sayin’!

Well, apparently, by all accounts, he was a pretty darn good surgeon.

Just not sure what that has anything to do with HUD. I know good surgeons who can't change a flat tire on their car. We can't all be good at everything.

I stand corrected. Not remembering an acronym doesn't disqualify one from a management position, but after researching and watching several hearings where he was questioned on HUD issues, he was unprepared to say the least. If knowing specific operations is necessary to be HUD Sec., he is out of his element. Not sure why he is there. He's very generous, and although he wants to contribute in some way, I'm sure HHS or something would be up his alley, or surgeon general, as another poster said.

Carson isn't expected to know the industry standard acronyms for the department he heads?

You have the worst case of TDS I've seen. :lamo
And Obama was expected to know the number of states in the country he led. I bet you didn't have seizure over that gaff. :lol:

:lol: At least he can laugh at himself about it!

ben-carson.jpg

He might as well. Everybody else is.

And Obama was expected to know the number of states in the country he led. I bet you didn't have seizure over that gaff. :lol:

Occasional gaffes or malaprops in public speaking are harmless and most times amusing. But there is nothing harmless or amusing about an overt demonstration of complete incompetence by a head of an important federal government department/institution whose misguided or uninformed actions and or decisions could have the potential for adversely affecting the lives of millions of Americans.

He's got people for that. It is great that he didn't know these acronyms. There are enough wonks in DC.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SLC, trust me, not one person on this forum expected that you would understand the difference between a gaffe, and ignorance. She gave him the first two letters, and he still didn't know. In the famous words of Hollywood Henderson, you could spot Ben the "C" and "T" and he still couldn't spell "CAT".

Last edited:
Yeah. It’s not like the guy is a brain surgeon or something!

Goes to show you how lazy some people can be. Imagine being the head of a department for two years, and not knowing the most basic information, like what the common, industry wide, acronyms are. Hell, it didn't sound like he even knew what an REO was, even after the acronym was explained.

But I heard he's been working hard on decorating his office with 32k dishwashers, and the like. Dude, you country is truly ****ed. China will be past you before Trump is out of office.

On the positive side, the people who put an idiot like Trump in office will be a minority shortly, and won't have much political say. That will certainly help to improve the country.

Last edited:
Why does Jesus look like a Klingon?
Right, someone needs to write a time-traveling sci-fi movie or TV episode set in the star trek universe, where the origin of jesus is explained as his being a crashed Klingon fleeing his society's violent tendencies/requirements.

B

Very “Bidenesque”.

I suggest everyone calm down, except those who have never misspoke.

That was a bit more than misspeaking. He doesn't seem to have much of a grasp on what it is he's supposed to be doing.

I read the exchange. Your post is stupid, because it makes a mountain out of a mole hill; which is SOP for liberals. He followed that moment by stating that he knew all about REOs, and had been reading up on them. After all, it isn't brain surgery.

ROFLMAO - careful your bias is showing. Were he a "liberal" you'd be screaming how dumb he was. Speaking of mole hills and mountains.

I read the exchange. Your post is stupid, because it makes a mountain out of a mole hill; which is SOP for liberals. He followed that moment by stating that he knew all about REOs, and had been reading up on them. After all, it isn't brain surgery.

You didn't read the exchange. He did not say that at all. Read 2:57:45 and on.

Actually, when it comes to management of an agency as huge as HUD, knowing every acronym is not only unnecessary, at his level, it would be rare for him to be involved in such day to day matters. HUD has over 8,000 employees, with hundreds of supervisors, Dealing with these low level matters is delegated a good ways down the organizational flow chart. If a problem with REOs or anything else at the operations level should arise, so urgent that it demands his involvement, a report along with definitions, explanations, possible outcomes, desired outcomes, and so on would be in his hand, with assistants to keep him up to speed.

I don't know; this sounds pretty reasonable...

Didn't you know that Trump is New Hitler?

Do you see now why Obama saying there are 57 states, I mean Carson saying something about cookies, means we are in grave danger unless Trump is impeached yesterday??

Back
Top Bottom