• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beer, liquor or wine?

Thoughts?

• Beer

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Liquor

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Wine

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Something else

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

dex4974

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
The older I get the more I fancy a nice bottle of wine. This stuff is lovely.

They each have their place. But wine can induce headaches.

Used to love craft beer. For the last several years, it's mostly been American rye or bourbon, or red wine

Mead or Ice Wine.

Sangria count as wine? Wine cooler or hard apple/pear cider. A craft beer (non IPA). Although I will drink whatever is on tap when I bowl.

You have to drink water. Alcohol is a diarrhetic. That is the secret to avoiding hangovers.

My father said water is for bathing and fishing in. On the other hand he only lived to 58.

My wife gets on me for not drinking enough water, I tell her beer is loaded with the stuff.

My wife gets on me for not drinking enough water, I tell her beer is loaded with the stuff.

I know. If it's only 5-6% alcohol, then other 90 or so% has got to be water, right? And in my case, Rocky Mountain Spring Water. Not that lite crap, original Coors and only in the keg bottles. My local watering hole, (that I haven't been to in months), stocks it just for me. Dammit, now I'm thirsty.

Where's the "all of the above" choice? :lamo

Wine induces headaches based off ester alcahol, which is methanol as well as other non ethanol spirits. The esters are what are known to give it flavor and smell but also can produce headaches in many types, and can be fatal with homebrewers brewing at the wrong temps. For example high amounts of esters in wine usually occur when brewing 10-40 degrees above proper brewing temps for the yeast used.

Beers can have the same but are much less likely to have anything more than bulk ethanol unless royally screwed up in brew.

Good coffee and or tea. properly prepared.

Wine induces headaches based off ester alcahol, which is methanol as well as other non ethanol spirits. The esters are what are known to give it flavor and smell but also can produce headaches in many types, and can be fatal with homebrewers brewing at the wrong temps. For example high amounts of esters in wine usually occur when brewing 10-40 degrees above proper brewing temps for the yeast used.

Beers can have the same but are much less likely to have anything more than bulk ethanol unless royally screwed up in brew.
Yeah. I've also heard tannins & sulfites - too.

Then again, I started my wine drinking career with MD 20/20, Ripple, and Boones! :2razz:

Yeah. I've also heard tannins & sulfites - too.

Then again, I started my wine drinking career with MD 20/20, Ripple, and Boones! :2razz:

Most properly made wines though giving a headache are not dangerous as you would die of alchahol poisoning before poisoning of esters, the ones to worry about are the ones bubba made in his basement and could not bother to learn from a seasoned maker or even buy and read a book on winemaking.

For example around here moonshine can make people go blind, many though boil out the wash to get pure ethanol, while new guys just distill and go, the methanol is what causes blindness, even many coming from poorly educated backgrounds, they knew what was safe and what was dangerous through decades or centuries of local knowledge, it is usually the uneducated distiller or brewer who thinks he knows everything that it dangerous.

Last edited:

Nothing like sitting down at the end of the day with an ice-cold beer. This is my favorite right now and I suspect, since it's sold out everywhere in my area right now - a lot of other peoples' favorite as well!

modelo 2.jpg

Good coffee and or tea. properly prepared.

As long as you are not like my great great aunt, proper coffee in the morning, made pitch black and strong enough to kill a horse, the second cup made pitch black but diluted in a ratio of 25% coffee and 75% whiskey, the rest of he day followed that ratio.

Most properly made wines though giving a headache are not dangerous as you would die of alchahol poisoning before poisoning of esters, the ones to worry about are the ones bubba made in his basement and could not bother to learn from a seasoned maker or even buy and read a book on winemaking.

For example around here moonshine can make people go blind, many though boil out the wash to get pure ethanol, while new guys just distill and go, the methanol is what causes blindness, even many coming from poorly educated backgrounds, they knew what was safe and what was dangerous through decades or centuries sof local knowledge, it is usually the uneducated distiller or brewer who thinks he knows everything that it dangerous.

Getting a shine on was one of things I always wanted to do, but if the situation presented itself I'm not sure I'd have the guts to do it. Maybe, just a taste.

It's like my European grandfather and his wild mushroom picking. He did it all his life since back in Europe, with knowledge handed down through the generations. But, I just couldn't get myself to eat the damn soup - as good as it smelled!

have not heard of cisco, but I remember all the bums would drink thunderbird in california, they could be seen from palm springs to the 29 palms marine base getting trashed daily on thunderbird, I remember it used to be like 2 bucks for a giant bottle of that rotgut, something even the homeless could panhandle in less than an hour and get trashed on. Have not seen the stuff in texas though around here md 20/20 seems to be the liquor of choice for hardcore and perpetually broke drunks.

have not heard of cisco, but I remember all the bums would drink thunderbird in california, they could be seen from palm springs to the 29 palms marine base getting trashed daily on thunderbird, I remember it used to be like 2 bucks for a giant bottle of that rotgut, something even the homeless could panhandle in less than an hour and get trashed on. Have not seen the stuff in texas though around here md 20/20 seems to be the liquor of choice for hardcore and perpetually broke drunks.

MD 20/20 has dropped its alcohol content to 18% and 13% (depending on flavor)

Night Train and Wild Irish Rose were hits in SoCal as well.

Back
Top Bottom