• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Batteries

How about any?
Like I said enough
Can you cite any data about solar panels reliability?
I didn't specifically reference their reliability. I just said they were garbage tier. Thats me expressing doubt in your claims.

It's not just a reliability issue.

High speed rail works in places like Japan and France
...and from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. Should be ready for the Olympics in '28.

because they don't have as far to go. If we're talking High-Speed rail from say New Jersey to Idaho first you have to flatten everything out because of high speed rail can't go up and down hills unless it slows down and we already have slow trains Nobody Rides them because they're horrendous.
You seem to hate trains for some reason.

I love trains. A great date night around here is taking the California Zephyr to Truckee. I do hate Vegas and LA, but I will be taking the train just for the experience. Sounds like fun.

And the sailboat thing to me is hilarious. We never lost the ability to make wind powered ships I've seen them make those in modern times but you can still buy them. The reason we stopped making them is because they're not as dependable as ships that run on Bunker fuel but I will have to say this I'm glad someone's looking at the biggest contributor to pollution and the transit world instead of ****ing cars

...and from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. Should be ready for the Olympics in '28.
Maybe. It's pretty rough terrain out there it might have to be a tunnel. The high-speed rail needs the very smooth surface. I would say it would probably be best to protect the rail from elements too.
For good or bad.
You seem to hate trains for some reason.
No I don't hate Transit it's just a one-time price to trip taking Amtrak and it was about four times more expensive than flying. So it's also more expensive than driving. And the point to writing the train was to see the land as you go by you don't get that in an airplane but you do get it in a car.

I just about anywhere I'm going to go there are these resplendent rugs paid at restaurants galore.

I don't hate trains I don't think it's developed sense about the 1920s in the US. At least outside of metro rail. I've rode the Metro rail here in Houston and it's pretty nice.
I love trains. A great date night around here is taking the California Zephyr to Truckee. I do hate Vegas and LA, but I will be taking the train just for the experience. Sounds like fun.
I've written on a train for fun and that is cool of course it was an antique train with the steam engine and we set in like a 1920s passenger car. But I did like the method of travel. I don't think it'll ever be Coast to Coast.

Terrain won't permit high speed and the time it takes to traverse the vast land space in the US would make it kind of irritating.

I think the only way you have high speed rail at least in the western side of the United States is tunneling and that kind of defeats the purpose all you're going to see is the inside of a tunnel.

It's not that I hate change I just don't think High-Speed rail is feasible in the US currently.

Maybe. It's pretty rough terrain out there it might have to be a tunnel. The high-speed rail needs the very smooth surface. I would say it would probably be best to protect the rail from elements too.

For good or bad.

No I don't hate Transit it's just a one-time price to trip taking Amtrak and it was about four times more expensive than flying. So it's also more expensive than driving. And the point to writing the train was to see the land as you go by you don't get that in an airplane but you do get it in a car.

I just about anywhere I'm going to go there are these resplendent rugs paid at restaurants galore.

I don't hate trains I don't think it's developed sense about the 1920s in the US. At least outside of metro rail. I've rode the Metro rail here in Houston and it's pretty nice.

I've written on a train for fun and that is cool of course it was an antique train with the steam engine and we set in like a 1920s passenger car. But I did like the method of travel. I don't think it'll ever be Coast to Coast.

Terrain won't permit high speed and the time it takes to traverse the vast land space in the US would make it kind of irritating.

I think the only way you have high speed rail at least in the western side of the United States is tunneling and that kind of defeats the purpose all you're going to see is the inside of a tunnel.

It's not that I hate change I just don't think High-Speed rail is feasible in the US currently.
Okay. The line is being built. We will see how viable it is.

The California Zephyr winds through the Sierra at 30 miles an hour. That's what makes it a great date. The train goes places the interstate does not. It's a popular trip. Tunneling the Sierra is next to impossible, and I agree high speed rail will not cross major mountain ranges.

The LV to LA line looks relatively flat. IMO, this line's viability is directly tied to the land it's using, which is almost entirely federal, and it passes mostly through unpopulated desert. The proposed line up the Central Valley involves the opposite: almost entirely private land and through many population centers. The Central Valley line is projected to cost $100b. I don't know, but that sounds like an investment that will be hard to recoup.

Okay. The line is being built. We will see how viable it is.

The California Zephyr winds through the Sierra at 30 miles an hour. That's what makes it a great date.
I'm going to have to keep my eyes on it because that would be very lovely.

It's hardly high speed though I specifically talking about high speed rail.

The train goes places the interstate does not. It's a popular trip. Tunneling the Sierra is next to impossible, and I agree high speed rail will not cross major mountain ranges.
That was the only point that was making when I said something about trains they're not going to be high speed and most areas in the US.
The LV to LA line looks relatively flat. IMO, this line's viability is directly tied to the land it's using, which is almost entirely federal, and it passes mostly through unpopulated desert. The proposed line up the Central Valley involves the opposite: almost entirely private land and through many population centers. The Central Valley line is projected to cost $100b. I don't know, but that sounds like an investment that will be hard to recoup.
I think the idea is that it shows people that it's possible. I might have been thinking about the lake Tahoe. Las Vegas is down at the bottom of the state right?

I figured the biggest expense in building something like a real line or even a highway is litigation for land usage or ownership.

I'm going to have to keep my eyes on it because that would be very lovely.

It's hardly high speed though I specifically talking about high speed rail.

That was the only point that was making when I said something about trains they're not going to be high speed and most areas in the US.

I think the idea is that it shows people that it's possible. I might have been thinking about the lake Tahoe. Las Vegas is down at the bottom of the state right?

I figured the biggest expense in building something like a real line or even a highway is litigation for land usage or ownership.
Yes, Las Vegas is far south. The Sierras tail off north of Bakersfield. The route is essentially flat. It will follow I-15.

Reno to Truckee on the train is fun. Taxi-station-train-drinks-dinner-drinks-reverse. It's an hour ride through gorgeous scenery. Truckee itself has gone downhill, IMO (I miss the dive bars), but the ride is exhilarating.

Land acquisition is always an issue with any development. I don't see the Central Valley line being built any time soon, if ever.

Last edited:
Yes, Las Vegas is far south. The Sierras tail off north of Bakersfield. The route is essentially flat. It will follow I-15.

Reno to Truckee on the train is fun. Taxi-station-train-drinks-dinner-drinks-reverse. It's an hour ride through gorgeous scenery. Truckee itself has gone downhill, IMO (I miss the dive bars), but the ride is exhilarating.

Land acquisition is always an issue with any development. I don't see the Central Valley line being built any time soon, if ever.
It would be a neat way to travel I'm always the driver on I travel so you wouldn't be exhausted from driving.

High speed rail works in places like Japan and France because they don't have as far to go. If we're talking High-Speed rail from say New Jersey to Idaho first you have to flatten everything out because of high speed rail can't go up and down hills unless it slows down and we already have slow trains Nobody Rides them because they're horrendous.

And the sailboat thing to me is hilarious. We never lost the ability to make wind powered ships I've seen them make those in modern times but you can still buy them. The reason we stopped making them is because they're not as dependable as ships that run on Bunker fuel but I will have to say this I'm glad someone's looking at the biggest contributor to pollution and the transit world instead of ****ing cars

High speed rails crosses for example the Alpes and the Himalayas.

While yes cross country high speed rail in the USA will be a long term project. While a step can be to build high speed rails between and across high density area. Like Michael Cole mentioned there you also have the new high speed train in Florida.

Modern ways to harness wind is much more efficient than traditional sails. While also be combined with other forms of propulsion like for example hydrogen or biofuel powered engines.

Last edited:

This is Switzerland a tiny European country hell Texas alone dwarfs that entire country.
China lies constantly about their advancements can't trust anything from China.
While yes cross country high speed rail in the USA will be a long term project. While a step can be to build high speed rails between and across high density area. Like Michael Cole mentioned there you also have the new high speed train in Florida.
Cross country high speed rail on logistics alone is dead on arrival. I think trips to the moon will come first.

Modern ways to harness wind is much more efficient than traditional sails. While also be combined with other forms of propulsion like for example hydrogen or biofuel powered engines.
Sail boats are nothing new.
Nothing modern about sail boats.

I don't have to prove your claims wrong that's not how burden of proof works.

Bullshit
Complain to Forbes, they wrote the article, do you think they made up the data?

Don't care who generated the data it's easy enough to get the data you want.

Again I'm just doubting your claims
Where are the people who had their own solar system installed who are saying it broke shortly after? That is your claim!
The reports I see say most people think the systems operate well.
There are some complaints about solar contracts where someone rents their roof to a solar company, but that is more of a scam.
The actual owned solar systems people seem happy with.
Because the panel lifetimes are decades, people have to decide if trimming 800 kWh off their usage each month is of value to them.
if an installed system is say $16K, but saves you $80 a month, that is like a 6% rate return at 10 cents per kWh, but a 9% rate of return at 15 cents per kWh.

Where are the people who had their own solar system installed who are saying it broke shortly after? That is your claim!
The reports I see say most people think the systems operate well.
I don't have to prove doubt. Skepticism is the rational place to start you are an evangelist the burden of proof is on you.

My claim is negative.
There are some complaints about solar contracts where someone rents their roof to a solar company, but that is more of a scam.
I don't care how you're trying to hand wave away any criticism that's not proof of anything.
The actual owned solar systems people seem happy with.
When you only talk to the ones that are happy with it and are they happy out of an ideological reason we don't know so surveys and collecting opinion data doesn't really prove anything. They may be happy because they're pretending they're saving the world.
Because the panel lifetimes are decades, people have to decide if trimming 800 kWh off their usage each month is of value to them.
if an installed system is say $16K, but saves you $80 a month, that is like a 6% rate return at 10 cents per kWh, but a 9% rate of return at 15 cents per kWh.
I'm not buying. They are garbage tier.

I was a salesman and I was a pretty damn good one so it salesman tactics don't work on me.

I don't have to prove doubt. Skepticism is the rational place to start you are an evangelist the burden of proof is on you.

My claim is negative.

I don't care how you're trying to hand wave away any criticism that's not proof of anything.

When you only talk to the ones that are happy with it and are they happy out of an ideological reason we don't know so surveys and collecting opinion data doesn't really prove anything. They may be happy because they're pretending they're saving the world.

I'm not buying. They are garbage tier.

I was a salesman and I was a pretty damn good one so it salesman tactics don't work on me.
It does not matter if you believe that a properly installed solar panel system can save people money or not! The reality is that people are installing these systems and seeing savings.
The scams are the roof rental people and the purchase contracts, the actual owner purchasers seem to be happy with the purchase and the savings.

It does not matter if you believe that a properly installed solar panel system can save people money or not!
Just like how I never said they weren't reliable. I also never said I don't collect any energy.

I said they were garbage tier.

This triggered you for some reason I don't know if it's like a religion or something.

The reality is that people are installing these systems and seeing savings.
And I'm sure it's not exactly like when they drive Teslas or when they're vegans that just jerk themselves off about what they're doing to save the planet it's not that at all.
The scams are the roof rental people and the purchase contracts, the actual owner purchasers seem to be happy with the purchase and the savings.
I don't care. They are garbage tier

Just like how I never said they weren't reliable. I also never said I don't collect any energy.

I said they were garbage tier.

This triggered you for some reason I don't know if it's like a religion or something.

And I'm sure it's not exactly like when they drive Teslas or when they're vegans that just jerk themselves off about what they're doing to save the planet it's not that at all.

I don't care. They are garbage tier
Believe as you will! I have to stick with actual data!

In order for public transportation to work you need a minimum population density. Japan has a population density of 338/km² (876 people per square mile). The European Union has a population density of 112/km² (290 people per square mile).

You are only going to see that kind of population density on the eastern portion (east of the Mississippi River) of the US, like in New Jersey, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, Delaware, New York, and Pennsylvania. California is the only State west of the Mississippi River that has a population density similar to that of Europe at 97/km² (250 people per square mile). Even Texas has less than half that population density at 45/km² (117 people per square mile).

Alaska has a population density of 0.43/km² (1.1 people per square mile) and every other State west of the Mississippi River (except for California) has a population density smaller than Texas. That is why public transportation, and high speed rail traffic in particular, will not work in the US west of the Mississippi River, except perhaps in California. We lack the necessary population density to make such a project viable.

High speed rail works in places like Japan and France because they don't have as far to go. If we're talking High-Speed rail from say New Jersey to Idaho first you have to flatten everything out because of high speed rail can't go up and down hills unless it slows down and we already have slow trains Nobody Rides them because they're horrendous.
I much prefer taking Amtrak from Seattle to Portland than driving. Traffic is a nightmare.

Fair enough. When I was in college I went to a downtown campus and I rode the Metro rail it was pretty cool.

Regional rail outside of the northeast is pretty tough to make work in the US because of distances and pop densities as Glitch pointed out. But intracity transit could be vastly improved in a lot of metro areas.

Regional rail outside of the northeast is pretty tough to make work in the US because of distances and pop densities as Glitch pointed out. But intracity transit could be vastly improved in a lot of metro areas.
Well I think rail makes sense in urban areas or for freight, but if I'm driving say from Omaha Nebraska to Minnesota work Amarillo I could drive a car it would be faster it would cost less than if there was rail and I took that.

I think one of the reasons why this is so much more common in Europe is because it was already there. This is something they started doing right around the Victorian era

Back
Top Bottom