• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Atheism is a religion [W:1586,2242]

I'd like some facts, please. First, why do atheists disbelieve in gods when there is no burden of proof/scientific evidence that precluded gods from creating the universe?

I'm pointing out another mindset of atheists with, for example, 5. I'm not saying all atheists believe every secular authority, I'm saying no atheist believes a religious authority.

Last edited:
I'd like some facts, please. First, why do atheists disbelieve in gods when no one scientifically knows how the universe was created? Is this a mindset?

Science 101. Don't prescribe a reason/cause to an event without having evidence of said reason/cause.

What are those scientific facts that preclude gods from creating the universe?

What are those scientific facts that preclude gods from creating the universe?

None. Just like there are no facts precluding an infinite amount of other reasons (zeus, flying spaghetti monster, invisible pink unicorn, stewie griffin with a time machine, some strange quantum phenomena etc etc etc). Again, don't prescribe a reason without evidence.

Whether atheism is a religion depends on the definition of religion. How about we use the dictionary?!

re·li·gion noun \ri-ˈli-jən\ : the belief in a god or in a group of gods

: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

: an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

The third definition is using the word metaphorically, as in "For Johny, restoring fifities cars is a religion."

The other definitions require a god, so atheism does not qualify.

So atheism is a religion only in the broadest, metaphoricial sense, which would include any interest, belief, or activity that is very important to a person or group.

If you're referring to the Big Bang Theory, that is a plausible theory of how the universe was created. The theory shows some of the forces that went into the creation scheme, but hasn't scientifically proven every ingredient of the Big Bang. This is, IMO, the central question of creation: what caused the Big Bang to occur?
From where did this ginormous amount of energy come that commenced the Big Bang? Maybe it came from another dimension?
Could a god's creation of the universe be the macro explanation of how the universe was created and the Big Bang Theory be the micro explanation of how the universe was created?

And why is an atheist so willing to deny the existence of gods?

Last edited:
I've never said atheism is a religion, I've said atheism is an ideology. The ONLY ideology not allowed in American government. Open borders is an ideology. Conservativism is an ideology. Liberalism is an ideology. Same sex unions and hetro unions considered the same is an ideology. Atheists will say their belief isn't an ideology but it is. Man as the cause of global warming is an ideology.

Last edited:
I've never said atheism is a religion, I've said atheism is an ideology. The ONLY ideology not allowed in American government. Open borders is an ideology. Conservativism is an ideology. Liberalism is an ideology. Same sex unions and hetro unions considered the same is an ideology. Atheists will say their belief isn't an ideology but it is. Man as the cause of global warming is an ideology.

Well then we agree with each other and not with the OP, atheism is not a religion. As for an ideology, it is an incredibly small one.

Actually, yes, being an "atheist" is inherent in that one would never hold a belief in a God if one lived in a place where God was never spoken of or created. Being an atheist is only even a thing because someone else believes in God and asks others to do the same. The condition of being an atheist is dependent upon the belief of others.

Someone else believing in the Tooth Fairy does not make your lack of belief in the tooth fairy a belief.

the error being made here is the addition of the word "God".

there is no God requirement in the substantial definition of religion, hence the recognition of scotus

WOW!!!!

not that is a complete beat down of a post if i have ever seen one!!!
:bravo:

anyway you are right, atheism in general is in fact not a religion or a practice etc etc.
and yes people falsely define atheism (along with many other things in the world) very ignotantly and inaccurately and typically this is done to fit an agenda and facts prove it wrong.

I suppose you could see it that way if you skipped past my negating rebuttal of the same post

1.)It's not a matter of facts - we're talking opinions here.
2.)In one person's opinion, atheists believe no gods exist, and thus it is a belief system, and therefor atheism is a religion.
3.)In another person's opinion, atheists believe no gods exist, and thus believe in no supernatural entities, and therefor atheism is NOT a religion.

It's all opinion though, because there's no way to prove one way or another whether disbelief is belief or whatever.

1.) sorry but YES it is a matter of fact.
in general atheism is factually NOT a religion, this wont change and it is NOT an opinion.
2.) and they would be factually wrong since there is no system in what you just described . . .ZERO lol
therefore they are factually wrong
3.) this is also wrong and as nothing to do with atheism (supernatural entities)

sorry the fact remains that not believing in god is not a belief system unless OTHER beliefs are also present and then you would be practicing somethign other than general atheism and that is why atheism is not a religion.

THis is a VERY simple concept.
My cousin simply doenst believe in god, she has ZERO system, she just doenst believe in god. If you disagree simply tell me what they system of atheism is? what are thier set beliefs?

In the end, however, it is a pointless endeavor. Only by defining "religion" so broadly as to completely abolish the word can anyone make any sort of logical argument than Atheism is a religion.

it has always been defined that way from my research and God, worship etc were the mainstay because the kings had religious people on staff and forced everyone to their religion.

Social evolution is finally coming to a point where religion can and should become ones own and no longer needs to be dictated.

Why would you want to be barred from exercising your beliefs?

I suppose you could see it that way if you skipped past my negating rebuttal of the same post

nope its seen that way because facts make it that way LOL
if you want to ignore fact you are free to do so but facts dont care and dont change based on your meanignless opinions

all your posts fail to show any valid, accurate or factual support. This is why they have been destroyed by multiple posters with facts and links and all you have left is your subjective factually proven wrong opinion of "nu-huh" while we have facts.

in general atheism is factually NOT a religion, this wont change and it is NOT an opinion.
2.) and they would be factually wrong since there is no system in what you just described . . .ZERO lol
3.) this is also wrong and as nothing to do with atheism (supernatural entities)

sorry the fact remains that not believing in god is not a belief system unless OTHER beliefs are also present and then you would be practicing somethign other than general atheism and that is why atheism is not a religion.

My cousin simply doenst believe in god, she has ZERO system, she just doenst believe in god. If you disagree simply tell me what they system of atheism is? what are thier set beliefs?
What are you on about?

I'm not arguing that atheism is or is not a religion, I'm simply pointing out that it's a matter of a opinion rather than a matter of facts - cause there are no facts beyond what someone states as their opinion.

nope its seen that way because facts make it that way LOL
if you want to ignore fact you are free to do so but facts dont care and dont change based on your meanignless opinions

all your posts fail to show any valid, accurate or factual support. This is why they have been destroyed by multiple posters with facts and links and all you have left is your subjective factually proven wrong opinion of "nu-huh" while we have facts.

apparently you didnt read 'all' my posts

then lets see your "facts" that support it.

RELIGIOUSFREEDOMBLACKS8TH0001.jpg

notice that even scotus said its to be interpreted broadly it applies to non-theist and usually [but not necessarily] involves worship and a God

1.)What are you on about?
2.)I'm not arguing that atheism is or is not a religion, I'm simply pointing out that it's a matter of a opinion rather than a matter of facts - cause there are no facts beyond what someone states as their opinion.

1.) nothing just pointing out the fact that atheism is not a religion
2.) and that statement is factually wrong, sorry words have meaning

then lets see your "facts" that support it.

RELIGIOUSFREEDOMBLACKS8TH0001.jpg

notice that even scotus said its to be interpreted broadly it applies to non-theist and usually [but not necessarily] involves worship and a God

see the words BELIEF(S)

BOOM! that post fails

unless of course you can tell me the BELIEFS of atheism

the court ruled that a non practicing of religion was also protected NOT that atheism is a religion this was to achieve equal rights on this issuLMAO
please try to understand this fact and the definition of words and how they work

theres the facts, your mistake, im glad i could help.

if you disagree all you have to do is FACTUALLY Prove atheism is a religion

What is FACTUALLY thier belief system?
What is factually thier FAITH
what FACTUALLY do they worship

once you can answer these questions using facts you will have a case until then you got nothing

let me know

1.) nothing just pointing out the fact that atheism is not a religion
2.) and that statement is factually wrong, sorry words have meaning

Whether atheism is a religion or not is entirely a matter of opinion - no facts exist proving it one way or another.

Say you want to prove atheism is not a religion - you only have an atheist's word that they do not believe - there is no way to prove it.

The IDEA of atheism - zero belief in supernatural beings - is not a religious ideal.

But there is no way to prove that no belief exists.

Well then we agree with each other and not with the OP, atheism is not a religion. As for an ideology, it is an incredibly small one.

belief goes beyond simple ideology however and requires that you believe something as truth.

Atheists "believe" that no God exists, which is why they have the atheist label.

It is their belief, they cannot and never will be able to prove it any more than someone who believes in God can prove God exists.

Each party will construct their governing rules differently according to their beliefs.

Therefore all people are religious the choice of attached 'ism' not withstanding,

1.)Whether atheism is a religion or not is entirely a matter of opinion - no facts exist proving it one way or another.
2.)Say you want to prove atheism is not a religion - you only have an atheist's word that they do not believe - there is no way to prove it.
3.)The IDEA of atheism - zero belief in supernatural beings - is not a religious ideal.

1.) repeat this 50 more times it will never be true
2.) no we have the definitions of words that make it true
3.) nope thats not what atheism is

here let me help you
Atheism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
atheism noun - definition in the American English Dictionary - Cambridge Dictionaries Online (US)
atheism - definition of atheism by Macmillan Dictionary
Atheism | Define Atheism at Dictionary.com
atheism: definition of atheism in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)
American Heritage Dictionary Entry: atheism
atheism - definition of atheism by The Free Dictionary
Collins English Dictionary | Always Free Online

sorry the fact remains atheism is not a religion, by definition theres nothing that makes it one

Let me put it a different way then.

There is no way to prove that an atheist is actually an atheist - which is beside the point.

However there is also no way to prove that atheism is not a belief system - while I don't necessarily agree that a belief system = a religion, the argument has and will continue to be made.

It seems undecided to me, rather than established fact - despite the word definitions - they only show what the belief system believes in, if it exists - not whether said belief system exists or not.

Probably making this far more complex than necessary. /shrug, what the hell.

1.)belief goes beyond simple ideology however and requires that you believe something as truth.
2.)Atheists "believe" that no God exists, which is why they have the atheist label.
3.)It is their belief, they cannot and never will be able to prove it any more than someone who believes in God can prove God exists.
4.)Each party will construct their governing rules differently according to their beliefs.

Therefore all people are religious the choice of attached 'ism' not withstanding,

reality, facts definitions of words all prove your opinion false in most cases and at best just an opinion in one

1.) actually beliefs done have to do that thats your subjective opinion
2.) correct atheists do not believe in god(s)
3.) meanignless to the term atheism
4.) the definition of the word religion disagrees, at best this would be an opinion of yours

Whether atheism is a religion or not is entirely a matter of opinion - no facts exist proving it one way or another.

Say you want to prove atheism is not a religion - you only have an atheist's word that they do not believe - there is no way to prove it.

The IDEA of atheism - zero belief in supernatural beings - is not a religious ideal.

sure there is.

you missed the boat on this one.

this applies to how beliefs work, not the definition of atheism;

if you believe a car is going to hit you for instance and you step out of the way despite the fact it would have missed you by 1/8 of an inch, the "fact" is that you believed you were going to be hit, you acted upon that belief and stepped out of the way despite the fact you would not have been harmed.

very simple to prove how a belief works.

1.)Let me put it a different way then. There is no way to prove that an atheist is actually an atheist - which is beside the point.
2.)However there is also no way to prove that atheism is not a belief system - while I don't necessarily agree that a belief system = a religion
3.) the argument has and will continue to be made.
4.)It seems undecided to me, rather than established fact - despite the word definitions - they only show what the belief system believes in, if it exists - not whether said belief system exists or not.
5.)Probably making this far more complex than necessary. /shrug, what the hell.

1.) which has no impact to the facts or what atheism really is.
can you prove your sexuality? does that mean it doesnt exist? hell can you prove ANYTHING, maybe all of this is just a dream, see that would be silly and factually not true
2.) again zero impact to the word and its meaning see #1
3.) arguments dont change reality
4.) you are welcome to this opinion and i have no desire to change it but i wont ignore facts based on your opinion, why would i?
5.) LOL maybe you are and i totally get what you are saying but i have no clue how you think that changes the facts?

you seem to want to have a theory and philosophy discussion and that CAN be had on this issue but it doesnt change the current facts and definitions of words.

1.) which has no impact to the facts or what atheism really is.
can you prove your sexuality? does that mean it doesnt exist? hell can you prove ANYTHING, maybe all of this is just a dream, see that would be silly and factually not true
2.) again zero impact to the word and its meaning see #1
3.) arguments dont change reality
4.) you are welcome to this opinion and i have no desire to change it but i wont ignore facts based on your opinion, why would i?
5.) LOL maybe you are and i totally get what you are saying but i have no clue how you think that changes the facts?

you seem to want to have a theory and philosophy discussion and that CAN be had on this issue but it doesnt change the current facts and definitions of words.
Words only mean what we let them mean.

Back
Top Bottom