• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

As an American, are you in favor of the current protests?

Do you support the current protests the way they turned out?

• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I dont care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Most police officers are good people. The protesters are being brainwashed into thinking there is a problem with police brutality. The truth is things have been getting better every year in regards to this. It's certainly not worth it to have your city burned down. These "protesters" will regret this disaster they have created.

yeah, it's so much better then the Rodney King beating days.:roll:

What is it that you dont support about this poll? its a pretty simple poll.....You are nit picking which protests are peaceful and im looking at the entire picture....You said something which i found outrageous and just straight negligent which is "That is an ugly, small portion of what is happening" this part right here...I cant tell if you mean in general or to whats currently going on, because if its the latter, this is no small portion.....Its country wide rioting, looting, and violence(killings).......This is third world country/terrorist nations type of stuff...also something that is always left out, the protesters who organize these events are also liable and should be held responsible for not keeping their members in check or doing anything to prevent this,especially if they dont want police to intervene which a lot of protesters dont.

Again i could be misunderstanding your post but my god, its pure insanity to think that anyone could support this current agenda, again, dont pick out a small portion that are being peaceful, im talking about the entire picture, from start to what is currently going on... and yes it has a gigantic impact of Floyd's imagine... its because people are using it as an excuse to loot, burn and hurt other people in his name, and if they can use it to form protests then his imagine is also affected when those protests go wrong,cant have it one way.

The entire picture is what I am looking at. I understand what you are saying, and I agree with it on a NOW scale. When I look at the big picture, I look at what Martin Luther King Jr. taught, I look at what the peaceful protesters are conveying in their messages, and I look at the deep rooted pain, frustration, and fear that is part of the lives of the oppressed on a daily basis. You are not wrong that right now, the looting is the biggest issue, but the protesters' message is not just about right now. Their message spans the past and future of our nation. That is what I meant by the agitator behavior being a small part of what is going on.

I apologize for not being clearer and for offending you with my words.

Most police officers are good people. The protesters are being brainwashed into thinking there is a problem with police brutality. The truth is things have been getting better every year in regards to this. It's certainly not worth it to have your city burned down. These "protesters" will regret this disaster they have created.

It keeps happening over and over, its not getting better.

And the majority or protesters are good people. Looters are criminals and are not protesters.

What do you want me to call it? Mistake,murder, it doesnt matter if he is in jail and getting proper justice(im assuming here that he would be).....right? Would it make you feel better if it was murder? Would it change anything? Again, it has nothing to do with race... If you want to make an argument to change police training to better accommodate the public then ok, that makes sense, but we cant just sit here and start picking and choosing when we getting out raged and when we arent....Also we gotta stop pretending that this is some kind of norm when it is not... its literally %1 that we are trying to portray as something that happens 99% which is clearly wrong and as we can see dangerous....Tens of thousands of arrests and no issues, but god forbid there is 1 guy that doesn something stupid, or bad or makes a mistake, or murders someone because of poor training,racism(all racism) or just an accident, and all the sudden we riot? That is such dumb logic.....

Stating that it was a mistake rather than murder, proves you are completely tone deaf. As does down playing the concerns and fears in the black community.

Yes, against Americans. And the popular will of the people.

I say round them all up and ship them to Guantanamo! They need to be quarantined after spreading the virus.

Yeah, I'm for real. But I'm not going to get in a personal pissing contest in an opinion poll thread.

I see the protesters doing a great job. After decades, I think they may finally effect a change. And if so, it will come through Biden, not Trump. And if not nationally, then the change will come locally. perhaps even despite Trump if he were to be re-elected.

The looting has died-down in my city and Minneapolis. I'll have to catch the news later tonight to see what's happening nationally. But regardless, I'm not going to conflate the looters with the protesters. Today, I saw very peaceful large protests.

Not sure why you think there needs to be a "pissing contest" as i am not trying to have one either so we are on the same page at least about that.

I just struggle to comprehend how you think protesters are doing a great job when the looters are protesters who just started doing just that...looting....majority of them started out as protesters... there are videos of many of them marching down highways...doing what you call "peaceful large protests" and then few hours that same group starting to set fire to the dumpsters, break windows on the nearby driving cars, or block the high ways with those on fire dumpsters, and yes..eventually lead to looting....You saying that the protesters are doing a great job in probably one of the worst examples EVER is just plain crazy....If you are taking a magnifying glass and zooming in on group of 50, in some tiny area, for 30 minutes and basing your argument from that, then it is what it is i guess, but again,im talking about the entire picture,from the incident to now, and its been a total **** show.. its literally been exactly what people have been warning others against and its what happens when you have the lack of police presents during these protests, which the worst of them are in left wing states because the police has their hands tied...

When the looting stops, and everyone goes home, it wont be because of some magical words that Biden has said....and unfortunately Floyds name will be tarnished and associated with horrible acts of violence and riots which is horrible and a total failure of what was supposed to happen... I always find it fascinating how people can find anything and make it out to be Trumps fault, the man could be on the moon and still get blamed for something happening on earth as if he is directly responsible.

Ive never seen someone who loves this country so much and wants so many policies to specifically help America and have half the country oppose it as if its some sort of bad racist plan....

Don't forget the white sissy boy Antifa.

Collateral damage to killing blacks.
But I see you are all for killing more blacks. Kinda sad. No, extremely sad you want to kill people.

And the majority or protesters are good people. Looters are criminals and are not protesters.

I'm sure many of the protesters are good people. I think they should stay home now given how disastrous this has turned out. The protesters either need a leader like MLK to come along or they need to hire a marketing team. What they are doing now is stupid!

I'm sure many of the protesters are good people. I think they should stay home now given how disastrous this has turned out. The protesters either need a leader like MLK to come along or they need to hire a marketing team. What they are doing now is stupid!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as wrong as I think it is.

Just wondering what people are thinking when they are watching these people burning down their own neighborhoods and killing and hurting other people.

For me, i think these people are nothing more than savages... and this is what happens when you have democratic governors/mayors preventing the police from doing anything at all about people burning buildings, hurting people and stealing non stop, there was literally no intervention for way too long and it snowballed out of control.

Its a total shame that this mans name has been destroyed and his imagine will be remembered as a ploy to steal and hurt innocent people, many of whom are from their own neighborhoods.

Nope. Not at all.

The majority of Americans support the protests while only 1/3 support Trump's handling of the protests.

Exclusive: Most Americans sympathize with protests, disapprove of Trump's response - Reuters/Ipsos
| Article [AMP]
| Reuters

I seriously doubt most americans support the protest. Big difference in recognizing the right to peaceful protest and supporting a particular cause. In this case I imagine most feel the cop was in the wrong and now the rioting and looting and assualt and arson has stolen the show and corrupted the message. Now the message is, free stuff if you want to steal it, burn it or assault officers it's all ok.

I mostly agree with you. The fact that incidents continue to occur does indicate that it is not getting better because it should not happen at all. I am slightly encouraged that it is less frequent, but seeing how devastating this is to those most affected by it leaves me feeling guilty for even slight encouragement. I am close to people who worry about this happening to them, to their kids, to their family members, and to their friends. It is a daily concern for them because there is always a chance it can happen.

People also look at this as an isolated incident. We have seen about a half dozen cases of racism uploaded to stream on video during the pandemic. Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and Kenneth Walker, Christian Cooper, the Top Figure employees using the communal weight room, and then George Floyd. It is not just about the behavior of one police officer. It is about something that many here probably have not experienced and certainly do not have to worry about everyday. Three out of the eight I mentioned had fatal outcomes. 37.5%. I cannot speak for others, but I do not find those odds acceptable.

EDIT: Apologies if I missed any other examples of recent unjustifiable accusations and/or deaths that were likely in part due to racial profiling.

Last edited:
What an asinine question, combining the protests with the violence as the same thing.

Yeah, I'm for real. But I'm not going to get in a personal pissing contest in an opinion poll thread.

I see the protesters doing a great job. After decades, I think they may finally effect a change. And if so, it will come through Biden, not Trump. And if not nationally, then the change will come locally. Perhaps even despite Trump if he were to be re-elected.

The looting has died-down in my city and Minneapolis. I'll have to catch the news later tonight to see what's happening nationally. But regardless, I'm not going to conflate the looters with the protesters. Today, I saw very peaceful large protests.

Thanks Chomsky. Good evaluation, and I think you might be right about some change finally taking place. I certainly hope so.

Ever lived in the slummy part of a city or town? Anecdotally, I grew up in South-central Minneapolis about 2 blocks from where this went down, and understand (but not not necessarily approve) what the violence is all about; its a 'walking in the shoes' thing for some. When the police see you as dirt, and treat you the same by roughing you up, shaking you down, kicking in your door and dragging you and your family out of your house under a mere 'suspicion' or proximity, you lose respect - for police, government, business, and any person different from you not in you circle of friends or local gang.

When a straw like Floyd happens to break the community-camel's back, it feels like the point is reached where NOBODY is on you side, and you lash out by treating everyone and everything like you have been treated your whole life - kick down doors (any doors), and rob and pillage those within reach and treat any available target in the way you have been treated.

Kumbaya moments, no matter how many locals congregate and peacefully protest, accomplishes virtually nothing beyond a news-clip on page 10, and it takes torching visible public outlets and police stations to get someone to even notice what's happening. When you're seen as an incorrigible criminal with no redeeming financial, social or moral value by default, true or not, there is little to be lost treating others the same way.

"So how how does it feel to have Your life taken away just because you are black/minority, poor, and perpetually struggling to survive?" When the gen-pop at large walk a few miles in their shoes (be it having their car smashed, their store looted, or police station burned), they just may understand a little better, since nothing else works.

P.S. Even though white, I grew up much the same as a poor black child getting my a$$ beat, my toys stolen, my friends bullied, and looked down upon by one and all because of my neighborhood and my parent's income and lifestyle. It is impossible to understand without walking in those shoes...

I said the "current protests and the way they turned out", i know protesting is ok, but im wondering how many deranged people who are totally lost and confused would support this madness that is going on right now, i just fail to comprehend beyond the simple troll that thinks this is in any way is helping anything and just costing people money, their business and their lives
It's not something that can be controlled to the degree you want when bad actors come in at night and incite the violence. You cant lump them all together. They are coopting the right to protest for evil purposes. Should we give up the right to protest or do better outing and arresting the bad actors?

Yes the protests are necessary and damage so far stomach able because apparently we still dont understand or deny the injustice that black people endure. So we have to give them the benefit of the doubt to a degree to act as necessary until we understand and society allows change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just wondering what people are thinking when they are watching these people burning down their own neighborhoods and killing and hurting other people.

For me, i think these people are nothing more than savages... and this is what happens when you have democratic governors/mayors preventing the police from doing anything at all about people burning buildings, hurting people and stealing non stop, there was literally no intervention for way too long and it snowballed out of control.

Its a total shame that this mans name has been destroyed and his imagine will be remembered as a ploy to steal and hurt innocent people, many of whom are from their own neighborhoods.

Protests? Yes. It is their right.

Rioting, looting, and any type of violence and destruction of property deserves a swift and severe response.

Thanks Chomsky. Good evaluation, and I think you might be right about some change finally taking place. I certainly hope so.
No thanks needed when preaching the truth.

I can't say what the future brings, but these protests "feel" the most like the sixties since way back then. But what will happen, is anyone's guess.

Back
Top Bottom