• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you a prepper?

What is bat-**** crazy about being prepared for a disaster?

I'm not talking a natural disaster or being ready if the power goes out for a few days, or if you lived in a flood zone or a hurricane prone area being ready for those things to happen. I'm talking prepping for an end of the world scenario of some kind

I'm not talking a natural disaster or being ready if the power goes out for a few days, or if you lived in a flood zone or a hurricane prone area being ready for those things to happen. I'm talking prepping for an end of the world scenario of some kind

What is the difference? If you prep for disaster, or end of the world scenario, what is the difference? If I store food because I don't want to be hungry if we have major flooding or a major power outage, how is that different from storing food because I expect the zombie apocalypse, aside from my line of reasoning? Am I crazy if I don't do it for the "right" reasons?

It will be our own government that attacks us....

No nation on this earth has the ability to attack the US via conventional means - sure with nukes but no nation would launch a nuke at the US, our resources are too valuable to destroy. The only nuclear threat would come from terrorists who frankly don't give a **** about resources.

What is the difference? If you prep for disaster, or end of the world scenario, what is the difference? If I store food because I don't want to be hungry if we have major flooding or a major power outage, how is that different from storing food because I expect the zombie apocalypse, aside from my line of reasoning? Am I crazy if I don't do it for the "right" reasons?

The difference is scale, time involved, resources invested, and the general kind of outlook a person who believes the zombie apocalypse or super volcano or next ice age or collapse of currency is just around the corner.

If you own a home in Florida, having a week or so of supplies on hand in case a hurricane rolls through is not a bad idea. If you build a compound in the New Mexican desert or have squirreled away 6 months of supplies and have planned 13 different bug routes that you rehearse monthly, you're crazy

If you're NOT planning for some disaster, and are indeed factoring in ALL disaster scenarios; I'd say that stinks of paranoia and wacko to boot!

Paul

The difference is scale, time involved, resources invested, and the general kind of outlook a person who believes the zombie apocalypse or super volcano or next ice age or collapse of currency is just around the corner.

If you own a home in Florida, having a week or so of supplies on hand in case a hurricane rolls through is not a bad idea. If you build a compound in the New Mexican desert or have squirreled away 6 months of supplies and have planned 13 different bug routes that you rehearse monthly, you're crazy

F-that.

People can do whatever the hell they want and the only crazy people are the ones who claim they're crazy for doing so.

Take a good long look at history - then get back to me because history repeats itself and history isn't all sunshine and rainbows....

Maybe when the government shows up to your house in armored vehicles doing home inspections for weapons and rounding you up - maybe- just maybe - you may get a clue then that some of these people aren't crazy and mere patriots that refuse tyranny.

I don't call 'em preppers, I call them pretenders, some with a paranoid overblown sense of self worth in the Gubmint's eyes.

Being prepared in case a natural disaster occurs like hurricane, tornado, floods, ice storms, earthquakes that TEMPORARILY disrupt society, Hell the Gubmint (some fear) ENCOURAGES such preparations, is only common sense.

However 99.99% of most prepping mentioned here is doomed for failure if the big boogeyman threats some mention actually happen. Most family sized prepper enclaves are too small to survive a real test of the defenses. Not enough bodies to man a defensive perimeter 360* 24/7 for any length of time. SILs who have military experience should know this.

Problem with most limited capabilities defenses- ie no indirect fire on call- is the attacks you ASS-U-ME will happen depend on the bad guys following the script you write. (they seldom do)

I have had several rather amusing conversations with 'bug-out' guys, some with a bit of tacti-cool training. Frankly you have better chances of winning the lottery than bugging out of any major city or sprawling suburban.

Those water purification straws, bottles and the like- the cheaper ones in sporting goods stores right by the fire starter key chains- you know the ones. Those are for WILDERNESS water, not the heavily contaminated water around cities- they don't filter most chemicals found in 'urban' contamination. Even the tried and true still type purifier can still produce chemical laden water. good luck

Plague- a good one but it would take a great deal of luck to not have contact with the carrier- as the really deadly ones use various vectors besides kissing each other. Rats, birds, bugs... again, good luck.

transformers in tornado alley- i suppose there could be a power company so damn stupid that they would use transformers that take two years to replace and in enough numbers that if a hurricane, tornado or some such did hit power would be out for 2 years (Thinking a real quick conversion to a more modern transformer will happen at lightening speed) There are a few small towns here in Oklahoma that have their own 'power company' and yes they have very old systems- the residents are too few in number to pay for upgrades so the town manager has to order parts that take some time getting in, but even they have a work around.

So being prepared for the run of the mill crap like hurricanes just makes sense, thinking you can prep for a societal meltdown is wishful at best.

But hey there are worse hobbies to have.

F-that.

People can do whatever the hell they want and the only crazy people are the ones who claim they're crazy for doing so.

Take a good long look at history - then get back to me because history repeats itself and history isn't all sunshine and rainbows....

Maybe when the government shows up to your house in armored vehicles doing home inspections for weapons and rounding you up - maybe- just maybe - you may get a clue then that some of these people aren't crazy and mere patriots that refuse tyranny.

You can't make this sh.it up! You really can't:lol:

What's more worrying, is you probably spend your whole life planning for such a non-event. But hell, who am I to judge if it makes you happy :)

Paul

Do you consider the Mormons bat-**** crazy, based on their preparation for disasters?

you may get a clue then that some of these people aren't crazy and mere patriots that refuse tyranny.

First off being a patriot, a REAL patriot and not an internet poser isn't 'mere'... so F-that!

Next, when I do finally meet 'one of these people' who isn't crazy I'll be sure to post it... :2wave:

Great post! What beautiful scenery! Thumbs up! I agree with your reasoning, too. The problem I might have is wondering how to help those that didn't prepare, and want you to share what you have. Particularly troubling if there are children....

Greetings, thx. *waving hello* since I've been told by the system the smilie limit has been exceeded.

Thank you, nice to meet you! :)

Yes, I can't think of a better place to go off grid, wood and water were big concerns and I have those covered!

People say it rains a lot here and I guess it does. (It drizzles a lot more than anything.)

But with all the wet weather you very rarely if ever hear of floods (we have great drainage, lol) and as far as the deep freeze and droughts and tornados and hurricanes... we get none of that. (so far anyway.)

Hardly any snow...

As far as taking care of others, first I plan on gleaning all the deadfall around the neighborhood as an extra fire breaking measure.

Next... I'm going to be a regular Johhny Appleseed and try my hand at planting the forest with edibles.. "guerrilla gardening" they call it. Maybe I'll be able to pick up some produce on my wood runs... (Also, try and learn as much as I can about natural foods in the area...)

And who knows, it could be there for folks in need, can attract game to the area... it's worth a try.

12 years camping as a homeless person gave me a lot of ideas and okay, some brass as well. :2razz:

(Also.. I'm going to see about making my own little pond if I can find the right spot. :cool:)

"The man" be damned.

Yes, give me the simple life of a wood gatherer, I'm a cheap date anymore.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Thx :)

Last edited:
F-that.

If I show up to your house in an armored vehicle your little pop-gun and 6 months of canned refried beans is not going to stop me. Don't forget that I'm in the Army, a guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No, I am the one who knocks.

Oh I dunno, when it comes to Mormons the list for bat-**** crazy is rather long, why pick on item... ;)

I'm not picking on them. I have a good number of friends who are Mormon. They seem quite rational with regard to their ideas about preparation.

Do you consider the Mormons bat-**** crazy, based on their preparation for disasters?

I'd be far less selective. Mormons are bat crazy full stop! :lol:

Paul

I am not a prepper in anyway as I am quite optimistic about the future of society and our country. However, because I spend a lot of time in the back country and federal wilderness, I do believe in being prepared. For example in my car I always have:

A First Aid Kit
Bottled Distilled Water
A Water Filter
Firestarter
A Tarp
Multitool
Packable Jacket
Gloves and Hat

At my home I have all sorts of backpacking equipment, back country freeze dried meals and so on. The point being is that while I dont expect the world to end, its quite possible that I break down one day in the middle of nowhere up in the mountains and have to survive a night.

I am not a prepper in anyway as I am quite optimistic about the future of society and our country. However, because I spend a lot of time in the back country and federal wilderness, I do believe in being prepared. For example in my car I always have:

A First Aid Kit
Bottled Distilled Water
A Water Filter
Firestarter
A Tarp
Multitool
Packable Jacket
Gloves and Hat

At my home I have all sorts of backpacking equipment, back country freeze dried meals and so on. The point being is that while I dont expect the world to end, its quite possible that I break down one day in the middle of nowhere up in the mountains and have to survive a night.

That seems sensible to me :)

Paul

I will add this. If society does collapse, then all the guns and supplies are not going to do you a bit of good if you are not in damn good shape physically.

First off being a patriot, a REAL patriot and not an internet poser isn't 'mere'... so F-that!

Next, when I do finally meet 'one of these people' who isn't crazy I'll be sure to post it... :2wave:

Yeah right - a patriot to you is to obey government tyranny at all costs while they sell it to you as patriotism..

Obama could introduce a 75% income tax rate and call it your patriotic duty and you would feel like a proud patriot paying that 75%...

A real patriot protects and defends the Bill of Rights, Constitution and his state and nation by any means necessary including political tyranny.

You can't make this sh.it up! You really can't:lol:

What's more worrying, is you probably spend your whole life planning for such a non-event. But hell, who am I to judge if it makes you happy :)

Paul

Non-event?

Yeah tell that to the Russians, Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Jews, Sicilians et al......

They all said the same thing you're saying "it will never happen."

I don't plan my life around it and I certainly don't dream of the day IT WILL HAPPEN but I sure as hell am ready to protect my Civil Rights and Liberties as gifted to me by our founding fathers.

Besides, it wouldn't bee too smart for our government to even attempt a military style takeover because they would have 1.5 million patriots fighting against them and that is just more than they can handle........ No they're using a better technique - a quote from Stalin - “Give me a child for the first seven years and you may do what you like with him afterwards.” - which is the MO of progressive politics and their schools.....

I will add this. If society does collapse, then all the guns and supplies are not going to do you a bit of good if you are not in damn good shape physically.

And who says all us patriots are old men in their 60's and 70's?

I'm only 33 lady. I'm pretty sure I can move 25-30 miles in a day.

I'm not picking on them. I have a good number of friends who are Mormon. They seem quite rational with regard to their ideas about preparation.

I didn't say picking on them, I said why pick only one thing on the bat-**** crazy list... ;)

Now I have said through-out the thread being ready for what could hit your area isn't bat **** crazy... but prepping for most the crap that is more imagination than sensible is silly. Take the 6 months worth of food some in here claim to have- that is roughly 500 pounds of food per person. Quite an investment in cash and space.

I live in semi-arid Oklahoma, when the rains allow I try and keep two years worth of hay on hand for my cattle. I do this because in Oklahoma the rains don't always allow and of late, the clouds have been pretty damn stingy. Not because I fear a total break down of society.

A First Aid Kit
Bottled Distilled Water
A Water Filter
Firestarter
A Tarp
Multitool
Packable Jacket
Gloves and Hat

But no gun, radio, flares, fishing line/hooks?

You're extremely unprepared.

Yeah right - a patriot to you is to obey government tyranny at all costs while they sell it to you as patriotism.. Obama could introduce a 75% income tax rate and call it your patriotic duty and you would feel like a proud patriot paying that 75%... A real patriot protects and defends the Bill of Rights, Constitution and his state and nation by any means necessary including political tyranny.

Coulda, woulda shoulda... :doh

Like I said when I meet 'one of these people' who ain't rat crap crazy.... :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom