• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are you a prepper?

No, and considering my location, I don't think the minuscule risk of a regional disaster warrants such an investment. Besides, I'll be going away for college in the fall.

I like to watch those prepper shows and my all time favorite one was this woman who was looking at an underground bunker and was asking about the wifi because she wanted to make sure she could get access to Facebook. :lol: :doh

Those shows are the loons. To me being prepared for some glitch in the system is no different than being prepared for a fire in your home. Alarms and extinguishers and an escape plan.

Stock up on your meds. I take Allupuronol for gout and have a 6 month supply at all times.

It's a controlled substance. The only way to do that is to miss days intentionally

I think the most realistic situation would be some new plague type bacteria where you would want to avoid all human contact and society would break down because of the staggering amounts of deaths.

Yes... that's the most realistic situation... in the 12th century.... or 3rd world countries. When's the last time Western society broke down due to a decease? Even the dark ages of the 1910s held up pretty well against Spanish Influenza.

My version of prepping involves having ecofarm's number in my contacts.

It's a controlled substance. The only way to do that is to miss days intentionally

On non-narcotics some doctors are generally willing to prescribe an emergency supply. Where you can't, look into non-prescription alternatives. Or, if you are feeling like taking the risk, internet drug stores.

Yes... that's the most realistic situation... in the 12th century.... or 3rd world countries. When's the last time Western society broke down due to a decease? Even the dark ages of the 1910s held up pretty well against Spanish Influenza.

There are getting to be more and more antibiotic resistant bugs out there and IMO it's just a matter of time until one cuts loose in a big way. In previous times we were mostly an agrarian society and most people were preppers before the word was coined. Pantry's were full of canned goods, homes were on wells etc. Nowadays most people live a hand to mouth existance in densly packed urban areas that are resupplied with food and fuel on an hourly basis. If the infrastructure broke down and these goods stopped being delivered and recieved it would be a few short days until you had very serious problems. Then there is the avoiding human contact thing. Having 6 months of food and water means you can do that.

My wife is. We could live indefinitely at our home or could head out on boats. The level of provisions, equipment and supplies she has is very well thought out and covers anything and everything she could think of. This is a very natural area - land and water - in terms of food supply. She had sealed 55 gallon drums. At any time well over 1000 gallons of fuel and ways to convert to sails, medical equipment, books and supplies, numerous alternative energy sources (wind, solar, steam generator) - and the list goes on and on. We have enough arms, bows and fishing gear probably for 50 people. 3 very blue water and liveaboard boats dockside minutes by water from the Gulf. I only learned recently how seriously she takes this.

The scenario she most prepares for is a major biological epidemic, not revolution or such. More, though, I think for her it is a psychological statement of independence.

There are getting to be more and more antibiotic resistant bugs out there and IMO it's just a matter of time until one cuts loose in a big way. In previous times we were mostly an agrarian society and most people were preppers before the word was coined. Pantry's were full of canned goods, homes were on wells etc. Nowadays most people live a hand to mouth existance in densly packed urban areas that are resupplied with food and fuel on an hourly basis. If the infrastructure broke down and these goods stopped being delivered and recieved it would be a few short days until you had very serious problems. Then there is the avoiding human contact thing. Having 6 months of food and water means you can do that.

What got me started, I'm watching a documentary in 2005 that says: "Hey America, the Bird Flu hasn't went anywhere and could erupt at any time and would sweep across America in as little as two weeks and shut down 40% of the infrastructure on the first day as people are afraid to show up for work!"

Even with the flu season now I am always careful to maintain my distance from others. I hate the flu! lol

Something else I am doing.. building a video library on disc, all my favorite classic movies (@ a whopping 28 cents each) and many I have not seen and am saving for my off-grid existence in a couple years, I just started a couple months ago, have 400 now and plan on having thousands.

I want a cheap retirement, but that doesn't mean suffering either, I plan on cutting expenses, but not doing without. :cool:

Thx :)

Last edited:
No but having a few weeks of everything, plus the basic safety emergency stuff (radio, fuel, some ammo, etc.) is well within reason for the average individual.
This would be more for the much more common power outages, ice storms, hurricanes, floods, etc., that can drain a local area for a short time. I've seen a few of those in my lifetime, that's not over the top in terms of prep.

The thing is it would have to get REALLY bad for all relevant regions to be unable to offer aid after a few weeks. And that just seems way too statistically unlikely.

The world we live in today is full of undisciplined brats that can't stop staring at their smart phone....

Just imagine what would happen if they were cut off.

The world we live in today is full of undisciplined brats that can't stop staring at their smart phone....

Just imagine what would happen if they were cut off.

Oh, Alas poor Verizon. I knew him well.
Hell I know 60 yr. old men addicted to those damned things. I must speak to them in 140 characters or less and if the bells ring their minds stop all functionality until they read and responded...
These same folk bitch about young folks lack of purpose and direction and propriety.. go figure

Geeeez

Thom Paine

Oh, Alas poor Verizon. I knew him well.
Hell I know 60 yr. old men addicted to those damned things. I must speak to them in 140 characters or less and if the bells ring their minds stop all functionality until they read and responded...
These same folk bitch about young folks lack of purpose and direction and propriety.. go figure

Geeeez

Thom Paine
I don't own one but, I spend more than enough time on my tablet and desktop.

I am, but I won't be listing my preps.

Those who think prepping is about the end of the world should take a good look at Katrina or Sandy, sometimes your preps are for periods less than one year and should any kind of WROL event occur you'll be glad to have food, water, first aid and defense available.

Hey! do you guys have a water purifer? I saw one that looked really need at this store called sportsman it's basically a water bottle with a filter to clean all the nastys when you get water from a stream or lake... it's a little spendy do you think it's worth it?

A hand pump filter is, as far as I'm concerned, a basic necessity.

I am kind of a prepper I guess. My full time home would be considered a bug out location to most preppers and I do have lots of ammo stocked up. I keep enough gas, propane oil etc to run my home for 6 months at least. I have food stores to last probably a year and I have a plan to divert a stream down the road to my land that would wash it out in short order. I'm not all about being a prepper all the time but it just makes sense to me to have enough resources to take care of yourself for a year or so if s*** hits fan. Anyone else in here consider themselves a prepper of any degree?

I wouldn't consider myself to be a full blown prepper but I've got extra food, water, propane, etc. to last a while. I also have the means to obtain more of these things should the issue be a little more long term.

As an aside, a few years ago I started talking to my mother about being prepared if things get funky and she kind of took to it. Her first objective...food.

She made 50# of meatballs, bought a freezer to keep them in and a generator to make sure they didn't thaw out before she needed them:lamo

Not in the full-blown end-of-the-world sense, but yes I have preps for short to medium term incidents that might disrupt vital goods distribution, power grid failures, etc.

Just common sense. And you don't have to be rich, its a matter of stocking up a little at a time.

Not in the full-blown end-of-the-world sense, but yes I have preps for short to medium term incidents that might disrupt vital goods distribution, power grid failures, etc.

Just common sense. And you don't have to be rich, its a matter of stocking up a little at a time.

Every time we shop we get an extra can or two of beans or something like that and stock it away. As you said you don't have to be rich.

I am more of a scrounger than a prepper. Besides having enough water on hand for at least a week, I have my guns and ammo.

That is always the best start.

I am kind of a prepper I guess. My full time home would be considered a bug out location to most preppers and I do have lots of ammo stocked up. I keep enough gas, propane oil etc to run my home for 6 months at least. I have food stores to last probably a year and I have a plan to divert a stream down the road to my land that would wash it out in short order. I'm not all about being a prepper all the time but it just makes sense to me to have enough resources to take care of yourself for a year or so if s*** hits fan. Anyone else in here consider themselves a prepper of any degree?

I'm not a prepper of the nutcase variety. That being said, I am a prepper in the same sense of the word that Mormons are. I think it's wise to be prepared for a major disaster, just out of common sense. I have stores of non-perishable food, and potable water for drinking. I have supplies for self-defense, and I have skills for doing just about anything that is needed for survival. I'm not paranoid- I just think ahead about what would happen in a shtf scenario, and gawd knows most people have no clue how to take care of themselves these days.

Every time we shop we get an extra can or two of beans or something like that and stock it away. As you said you don't have to be rich.

We have a discount store near me, much of it is half price and I take advantage.

One thing folks who've been in situations suggest is not to go too far with canned goods, at least not stocking up on a lot of things you wouldn't normally eat because canned goods can get pretty tiresome if that's all you have.

Of course, not having food itself is pretty tiresome too. lol

But some of the preppers I see in docs stack up convenience foods too.

Buying in bulk on sale you save money as you use them up, so you might want to reconsider buying those twenty cans of beets unless you really like beets.

Buy things you like and will surely use folks, not just things that are cheap.

(Don't be like me and end up donating some of it to charity because you went too far with things on sale you might not prefer to eat. :lol:)

I still have a lot of rice and pasta that is good and glad I took advantage of those.

Thx :)

Back
Top Bottom