• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

American Religious Fundamentalists Fight To Establish A Theocracy As Religion Declines In The US

What is the purpose of a school?

To teach children the skills they need to get by in a modern society.

If you want to spread your religion, do it with your church. Religion has no place in a school environment.
An excellent education is one that teaches students how to work out things and think for themselves. The schools today are turning out agnostics, because the teachers are teaching students what to is important, and not how to come to their own conclusions. Literature allowed in the classroom is secularly selective. Math problem are secularly conceived. Social Studies has a secular agenda. Secularism Humanism is a RELIGION where MAN is regarded as GOD.

I don’t want kids indoctrinated with long debunked religiously motivated fantasies, no.

Sorry, nobody‘s obligated to teach kids blatant lies like the Earth being a few thousand years old.
I don't want children exposed to sexual deviancy under the guise of freedom of expression. I don't want a cosmic secular story presented to students as known fact. I don't wish the instructors limiting what the students can talk or ask about in the classroom to only secular terms, values, and opinions. I don't want only teachers hired who take an attitude that everything from the Bible has been proven absolutely in error according to what they have been informed.

Secular humanism isn't a religion. There's no hierarchy; no "scripture"; no eschatology; no nothing.

There's no good or logical reason to frame every discussion in the context of religion, even more so when the only "permissible" religious context is that of Jews or x-tians.

I'll be happy to teach religious studies in your public schools but I guarandamntee you won't like anything I have to say.

We will engage in actual true real bona fide religious study and not the hee-hawing back-slapping "study" that's nothing more than confirmation bias.

We will be using Codex Leningradis and not the heavily flawed King Joke Vision that's chocked full of lies and made up things.

We will examine the two totally different stories of how Joseph got to Egypt. The students will fully understand why in one story when Joseph's brothers wanted to kill him it was Reuben who suggested Joseph be sold to a passing trade caravan and why in the other story it was Judah who suggested Joseph be thrown into a well and abandoned and only later after his brothers had left did a trade caravan come by and "rescue."

The students will understand which story is not the word of any god-thing but the word of power-seeking men and specifically which men and why.

And then students will read the 7 Tablets of Creation so's they can understand how the Hebrews plagiarized the story and changed it for political and social reasons and the will read the Egyptian Book of the Dead so's they can see where the Commandments came from and they will read all of the Ugarit psalms the Hebrews copied and used them for their own. And on and on.

After all that, we'll see if the students still want religion imposed on them.
Humanism as a religious belief system that holds that everything is knowable. The most important belief of this religion is its denial of the transcendent and/or supernatural: there is no God, no creator, no divinity. By force of logic, the universe is thus self-existing, completely physical and hence, essentially knowable. Some federal courts but not all held that religions necessarily involve a belief in a supernatural being. But, such a definition discriminates against non-theistic beliefs. Whenever a belief system deals with fundamental questions of the nature of reality and man’s relationship to reality, it deals with essentially religious questions, a religion need not posit a belief in a deity. For the purposes of the First Amendment, secular humanism is a religious belief system, entitled to the protections of, and subject to the prohibitions of, the religion clauses [of the First Amendment]. It is not a mere scientific methodology that may be promoted and advanced in the public schools.

I don't want children exposed to sexual deviancy under the guise of freedom of expression. I don't want a cosmic secular story presented to students as known fact. I don't wish the instructors limiting what the students can talk or ask about in the classroom to only secular terms, values, and opinions. I don't want only teachers hired who take an attitude that everything from the Bible has been proven absolutely in error according to what they have been informed.

You want your religion, and your religion’s hateful views towards LGBT, imposed on kids, yes. You want blatant lies like the earth being only a few thousand years old presented as fact when there is simply no reason to. We’ve already been over, numerous times, why that is simply not acceptable.

An excellent education is one that teaches students how to work out things and think for themselves. The schools today are turning out agnostics, because the teachers are teaching students what to is important, and not how to come to their own conclusions. Literature allowed in the classroom is secularly selective. Math problem are secularly conceived. Social Studies has a secular agenda. Secularism Humanism is a RELIGION where MAN is regarded as GOD.
Within the scope of their duties, yes.

Cults and religion are merely a system of beliefs. Only Christianity is a relationship.
Pretty sure every other monotheistic religion has the same idea that only their version is correct.

🤷‍♀️

That’s just one of the reasons why NONE of them are taught in public schools.

Want your kid taught a particular flavor of religion, send them to a private school that teaches that flavor of religion.

Because I don't like your particular religion, and you wouldn't like mine.

So it's best if schools remain secular.
Why? Shouldn't the final decision as to what is correct and what isn't be a consideration upon listening to both sides. Anything else would amount to bias opinion. It's an advantage to review values out in the light and not push it into a closet ---- all the while discussing secular consideration openly. It makes it seem to the student that only secular values are worth discussing, and nothing could be further from the truth.

I believe it should be left to a majority of the parents and not the values of select educators.

It already has been. It's called voting and the parents that elected the school boards do not want evangelicals teaching their kids that they are going to hell if they don't accept Jesus as their personal friend.

Query: has anyone ever asked Jesus if he wants an evangelical as a personal friend?

Why? Shouldn't the final decision as to what is correct and what isn't be a consideration upon listening to both sides. Anything else would amount to bias opinion. It's an advantage to review values out in the light and not push it into a closet ---- all the while discussing secular consideration openly. It makes it seem to the student that only secular values are worth discussing, and nothing could be further from the truth.
Exactly why does all this have to be discussed in a public school.

Humanism as a religious belief system that holds that everything is knowable.
I sure hope you didn't hurt your back moving the goal-posts to redefine what religion is.

The most important belief of this religion is its denial of the transcendent and/or supernatural: there is no God, no creator, no divinity.
That's all true, but it doesn't make humanism a religion.

But, such a definition discriminates against non-theistic beliefs.

So, Santa Claus is a religion? Who woulda thought.

Whenever a belief system deals with fundamental questions of the nature of reality and man’s relationship to reality, it deals with essentially religious questions, a religion need not posit a belief in a deity.

Absolutely it must. Science deals with fundamental question of nature and reality, and man's relationship, but it is not a religion, either.

For the purposes of the First Amendment, secular humanism is a religious belief system, entitled to the protections of, and subject to the prohibitions of, the religion clauses [of the First Amendment]. It is not a mere scientific methodology that may be promoted and advanced in the public schools.

Then by your own admission, science would be prohibited from being taught in schools.

No! I didn't say that at all. What I seek is open discussion as related to the various topics the students are learning. The schools today impose a lack of discussion when any "open" discussion becomes anything other than secular. In other words, secular humanism is IMPOSED as the only view that can be discussed openly while religious views are dismissed as inappropriate. Secular values and beliefs are just as dangerous, if not more so, because at present there lacks a point/counterpoint evaluation discussion where a comparison if ideas and ideals tends to weed out questionable values.
Send the kids to Sunday school. The public schools have no business teaching fairy tales as truth.

Cults and religion are merely a system of beliefs. Only Christianity is a relationship.
Belief in the invisible & unknowable. Gave that up years ago after graduating from Iona College.

That is just a lot of BS. No one or thing is god.

Not really, it’s because of constant athiestic indoctrination in schools, media, and culture.

Because communists from Europe were allowed to move here in the 20th century
No.

I sure hope you didn't hurt your back moving the goal-posts to redefine what religion is.
Talk about moving goalposts...
That's all true, but it doesn't make humanism a religion.
Let's face todays "reality". If a man can be a woman, and visa versa, and marriage can be between to beings of the same sex, you've already dug the hole. Humanism can be whatever I wish it to be. And I say it is a religion and GOD in the Bible speaks in terms of humanism among the fallen masses.
So, Santa Claus is a religion? Who woulda thought.
Anything that is worshipped in place of GOD is idolatry and the worship of idols is religion.
Absolutely it must. Science deals with fundamental question of nature and reality, and man's relationship, but it is not a religion, either.
When nature is applied to explain the unknowable it indeed becomes a form of worship and practice.
Then by your own admission, science would be prohibited from being taught in schools.
Evolution without any allowance of the mention of a creator as a point counterpoint, should indeed be prohibited for its one-sidedness and promotion of the denial of the supernatural and the miraculous.

Belief in the invisible & unknowable. Gave that up years ago after graduating from Iona College.
So, instead of teaching you how to think, Iona told you what to think and you fell for it! I hope it was worth the expense...

And you know this because you are a god?
Read it again. I said no one, including me, is a god. How do you "know" there is a god? And, how do you know that the thing you think is god is a god? And, how do you know there are no other gods? Answer: You don't know. You believe. I don't believe any of that superstition, which is evident in most cultures because the cultures' belief systems started eons ago before scientific knowledge and intellectual systems were yet to be developed or evolved. Even your "god" of the OT said "thou shalt have NO OTHER gods before me" which reflects the culture's beliefs in many gods and that the one giving this order was to be the primary god. Otherwise, why didn't that order say "thou shalt have no other gods" and not mention having other gods?

So, instead of teaching you how to think, Iona told you what to think and you fell for it! I hope it was worth the expense...
My late Dad payed for it all but for $10K I borrowed. And I was even an altar boy. But I'm an atheist.

Read it again. I said no one, including me, is a god. How do you "know" there is a god? And, how do you know that the thing you think is god is a god? And, how do you know there are no other gods? Answer: You don't know. You believe. I don't believe any of that superstition, which is evident in most cultures because the cultures' belief systems started eons ago before scientific knowledge and intellectual systems were yet to be developed or evolved. Even your "god" of the OT said "thou shalt have NO OTHER gods before me" which reflects the culture's beliefs in many gods and that the one giving this order was to be the primary god. Otherwise, why didn't that order say "thou shalt have no other gods" and not mention having other gods?
GOD certainly answers my prayers. Not always the way I wish them, but I see GOD working in my life --- the lives of my friends, and throughout society. Other gods wouldn't answer my prayers if was praying to someone/thing else (the wrong one). I assume that you believe that the everything that exists came about by natural processes ---- that pretty much is a superstition on your part or an old wives tale accepted by those that do not believe in the supernatural... However, you cannot prove anything of the sort.

My late Dad payed for it all but for $10K I borrowed. And I was even an altar boy. But I'm an atheist.
Seems you should be very thankful to GOD for an earthly father who left you without much of education debt to pay back. Such isn't a blessing extended to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom