• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

All we want are background checks!!

What more beyond Background checks

• Total voters
Again, it's not about stopping this guy, it's about stopping future guys, would you not agree?

He only used two guns. The next guy might only buy two guns. Where's the red flag? The modal number of guns in a mass shooting is "one". Is buying only a single gun the red flag?

many of the anti gun posters and more than a few politicians who try to pretend they are pro second amendment while toeing the anti NRA line claim that all they really want is all firearms sales-private or the phony gun show nonsense-controlled by a background check

Some will claim that "its only a form" but many of these posters and politicians claim its not true that they want additional restrictions other than that background check requirement.

OK-guess what? this killer in vegas bought lots of guns over several years and most if not all, involved a BACKGROUND CHECK-yep, he was checked and guess what, there was NO disqualifying features. He also had a pilots license too.

so your beloved background checks didn't do anything and won't with someone like this

so what are you going to do-

stick with background checks

admit that you now want something else

post up

First of all 9 out of 10 gun owners want background checks, including mental health checks before anyone is allowed to purchase a gun. The only ones that are against background checks are those that couldn't pass one.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...a-political-slam-dunk/?utm_term=.45386bbba86d

But no gun owner, like myself, can look at what happened in Las Vegas, and make a claim that assault weapons are NOT a threat to American everyday life. Yeah we can ban the bumper that will make a semi-automatic go automatic, but they'll come up with something else that will produce the same result. We have had to many incidents of people using assault weapons to kill innocent people. That IS NOT what our forefathers intended when they wrote the 2nd amendment.

They need to do this:
1. Ban assault weapons from being sold in this country.
2. Close the loophole on gun shows and everyone gets a background check, including on private sales, like Colorado has done. (It does no good that your neighbor can sell a gun to anyone, who intends to use it on you.)

Republicans won't do any of this. They may ban the bumper--but they won't address assault weapons. The only way you're going to get that done is to vote for DEMOCRATS who are more concerned about public safety, and not like Republicans that are more concerned about protecting the NRA and their nut case gun owners. Republicans would pass out Grenade's and Bazooka's if it got them votes.

david-horsey-cartoon20091019.jpg

If you want common sense gun control in this country, you'll have to vote for Democrats. There is no other way.

Last edited:
First of all 9 out of 10 gun owners want background checks, including mental health checks before anyone is allowed to purchase a gun. The only ones that are against background checks are those that couldn't pass one.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...a-political-slam-dunk/?utm_term=.45386bbba86d

But no gun owner, like myself, can look at what happened in Las Vegas, and make a claim that assault weapons are NOT a threat to American everyday life. Yeah we can ban the bumper that will make a semi-automatic go automatic, but they'll come up with something else that will produce the same result. We have had to many incidents of people using assault weapons to kill innocent people. And that IS NOT what our forefathers intended when they wrote the 2nd amendment.

They need to do this:
2. Close the loophole on gun shows and everyone gets a background check, including on private sales, like Colorado has done. (It does no good that your neighbor can sell a gun to anyone, who intends to use it on you.)

Republicans won't do any of this. They may ban the bumper--but they won't address assault weapons. The only way you're going to get that done is to vote for DEMOCRATS who are more concerned about public safety, and not like Republicans that are more concerned about protecting the NRA and their nut case gun owners. Republicans would pass out Grenade's and Bazzoka's if it got them votes.

th

If you want common sense gun control in this country, you'll have to vote for Democrats.

Common sense means no data. Do you think that the implementation of HB 13-1229 has stopped any bad guy from getting a gun, given that straw purchases are still the largest source of guns for criminals?

"Assault weapons" used in mass shootings average 13 deaths per since since the end of the last AWB.

Here's some questions:
1. What's an "assault weapon"?
2. What do you mean by "ban"?
3. How would you get it passed?
4. How would you enforce it?

its amazing the amount of completely idiotic statements coming from gun haters that don't even have a shred of viable arguments backing them up

its like these guys read up on guns and then said everything that was exactly opposite of what is fact

I cannot think of any other issue where one side is so completely Wrong about the facts

Hiding tyranny is a mother****er.

We can't secure our border. We can't deport criminals from other countries being released from our prisons. We cannot afford to keep the people in prison we know are still dangerous.

Instead we release them back on the street and hope that they don't commit more crimes.:lamo

Background checks clearly were of absolutely no use in stopping this man. They will not stop the next person that goes nuts and decides to kill a bunch of people. You want to stop the killings then we need to address the root cause of most killings. That is the mental status of the person. When we start checking on the mental health of our people as much as we check their blood pressure we will start to fix the problem.
Uh huh. Thanks for sharing.

many of the anti gun posters and more than a few politicians who try to pretend they are pro second amendment while toeing the anti NRA line claim that all they really want is all firearms sales-private or the phony gun show nonsense-controlled by a background check

Some will claim that "its only a form" but many of these posters and politicians claim its not true that they want additional restrictions other than that background check requirement.

OK-guess what? this killer in vegas bought lots of guns over several years and most if not all, involved a BACKGROUND CHECK-yep, he was checked and guess what, there was NO disqualifying features. He also had a pilots license too.

so your beloved background checks didn't do anything and won't with someone like this

so what are you going to do-

stick with background checks

admit that you now want something else

post up

I voted for I only want background checks. But I want mote than that. I want the penalty for possessing a gun illegally to carry five years. Juvenile or not. I want bump stocks restricted in the same way as machine guns. I want murder by gun to be life in jail no parole. And crimes committed with guns to be ten years. If anyone is injured in that crime with a gun, fifteen years minimum. And I want prisons to be prisons.

Signed,
Queen of the World, MaggieD

But no gun owner, like myself, can look at what happened in Las Vegas, and make a claim that assault weapons are NOT a threat to American everyday life. Yeah we can ban the bumper that will make a semi-automatic go automatic, but they'll come up with something else that will produce the same result. We have had to many incidents of people using assault weapons to kill innocent people. That IS NOT what our forefathers intended when they wrote the 2nd amendment.

They need to do this:

Republicans won't do any of this. They may ban the bumper--but they won't address assault weapons. The only way you're going to get that done is to vote for DEMOCRATS who are more concerned about public safety, and not like Republicans that are more concerned about protecting the NRA and their nut case gun owners. Republicans would pass out Grenade's and Bazooka's if it got them votes.

david-horsey-cartoon20091019.jpg

If you want common sense gun control in this country, you'll have to vote for Democrats. There is no other way.

this is the sort of stupidity I was talking about. banning anything is just plain stupid

I voted for I only want background checks. But I want mote than that. I want the penalty for possessing a gun illegally to carry five years. Juvenile or not. I want bump stocks restricted in the same way as machine guns. I want murder by gun to be life in jail no parole. And crimes committed with guns to be ten years. If anyone is injured in that crime with a gun, fifteen years minimum. And I want prisons to be prisons.

Signed,
Queen of the World, MaggieD

Are current owners of bump fire stocks grandfathered? Are the stocks themselves registered, or are they considered machine gun parts? Do I need to pay a $200 tax stamp? Do you also want rubber bands treated as machine guns?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are current owners of bump fire stocks grandfathered? Are the stocks themselves registered, or are they considered machine gun parts? Do I need to pay a $200 tax stamp? Do you also want rubber bands treated as machine guns?

Consider them machine gun parts. Tax the same way as machine gun parts. And if they treated rubber bands the same way as machine guns? I think that might mean you wrote the legislation. ;)

Consider them machine gun parts. Tax the same way as machine gun parts. And if they treated rubber bands the same way as machine guns? I think that might mean you wrote the legislation. ;)

If they were considered machine gun parts, then they could only be used on registered machine guns. Which means many felons would be created. Machine gun parts are not taxed. A rubber band accomplishes the same thing a bump fire stock does. In fact bump firing is just a technique and the stock, or a rubber band, simply helps what can be done without either.

I voted OTHER because they are pretty much worthless. I went to buy a 9mm handgun once a few years back and got denied for no reason and it took them forever to deny me. Just based on a last name. Problem solved but it took awhile. That's the efficiency of the Oregon state police.

its amazing the amount of completely idiotic statements coming from gun haters that don't even have a shred of viable arguments backing them up
its like these guys read up on guns and then said everything that was exactly opposite of what is fact

I cannot think of any other issue where one side is so completely Wrong about the facts
What makes you think they even read up about them when they have the experts at VPC et al telling them the gospel?

When it comes to that lifelong ban due to mental illness...I am CERTAIN you would also include having peoples children taken from them for life as well...right? cuz...if you think someone that has had a mental illness should be denied access to firearms, then you must think they are dangerous...and that means in addition to firearms you are advocating that the state seize their children as well...right?
Kinda like our very own sen. "I can?t function as a normal human being." - Oregon Firearms Federation But that's probably different.

I still want background checks on all gun sales. Specifically I want a private citizen to be able (and required) to call into the NICS and run a check on someone. But not because it would have stopped the Vegas shooting, or other mass shootings.
But why then?

Here is what gun nuts want. Nothing. They could care less if this happens every day
vegas a question. In your terms and just yours what IS a gun nut? And owning 1-50 isn't really an answer since you only shoot one gun at a time. Then you have people that collect as a hobby.

You said semi-automatics, period. Judging by your post, I'm not sure you even know what a semi-automatic is. Describe to me what a semi-automatic weapon does.
I would be also be interested if he knew what a AK-47 is. Outside of the movies and anti gun rhetoric.

Listening to Fox this morning. “You are never going to legislate away madmen with guns.” I was all for making bump stocks illegal. Until I learned that belt loops work. And 3D printers can make a bump stock in minutes.

It’s against the law to steal cars. Do people still steal cars? It’s against the law to write bad checks. Do people still write bad checks? “Laws against” give us a vehicle with which to punish people after the fact. Evil people, crazy people, don’t obey laws.

And when bumper stocks are made illegal and bad things still happen? Then what? And when background checks don’t stop bad things? Then what? I guess I’m coming around to thinking all of it is just the nose of a camel.

However.

I think Republicans in Congress had better start taking control of the narrative. Propose what WILL work.

Dateline Chicago: Almost 800 gun deaths and 14,000 gun injuries. (stats by memory.) EVERY YEAR. Makes LV look paultry in comparison.

Start there. Start with a tough law that anyone caught with an illegal guns gets five years in jail. Juvenile or not. No parole. No more gangs in prison. Gang activity in prison gets you 20 out of 24 hours in lockup. Start with stop and frisk laws in crime-infested neighborhoods, aka war zones. Blanket search warrants in these neighborhoods. Get illegal guns off the street. An illegal gun is found in your home? All public benefits stop. Your kids are put in foster care. Have foster kids? Find illegal guns in your home? Go to jail. Unless you yourself made the call to authorities. Take away these safe havens because that’s REALLY what it takes to reduce gun deaths and injuries.

Dems would NEVER EVER support these things. They aren’t interested in reducing gun deaths. They’re interested in PRETENDING that’s their agenda. All the while training their camels.

Rant off.
Well good rant to. Not to sure about blanket search warrants in these neighborhoods though but...Next time I see an illegal gun on the street I'll pick it up.LOL.

So instead of making an objective poll. You make a poll mocking everyone else who wants to talk about gun issues and who should or should not be allowed to buy one.

- I only want background checks on all sales- Why is this your first option when you said nobody really wants just background checks because they are all fake pro- 2nd amendment supporters?
- I want to ban those who pass checks from being able to own some guns- All the options in this poll are either mocking gun legislation or another way of saying "I want a gun ban."
- A ban on all firearms for private citizens- You say people are advocating for this when no one literally no one even the most liberal democrats in Congress say they want to infringe on the 2nd amendment and as long as you can own one single gun in this country. It isn't infringing on that right. Also you often equate that private citizens need what police officers and military personnel need.
- Other including I don't support background checks Can you tell me why someone (a non collector) should have 50 guns?
Is a coin collector or stamp collector limited in how many they can have?

The basic premise of all gun ban proposals is that criminals would all follow the laws if we just had more laws for them to follow.
Maybe the gun laws we have are to confusing for them and new ones will clarify? Not.

Back
Top Bottom