• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic stat

I find it astounding that you, of all people, make such a claim when it is you that is fomenting discord and prevaricating about the substance of the thread. Rather than decrying it, how about you just don't participate? It seems everyone would be much happier.

I guess you were the wrong one for me to even suspect of seeing the issue here.

I guess you were the wrong one for me to even suspect of seeing the issue here.

There wasn't an issue, and still isn't. Others were happily discussing the substance of the thread without the irrelevant interjection.

There wasn't an issue, and still isn't. Others were happily discussing the substance of the thread without the irrelevant interjection.

So you just haven't been reading through the thread then?

Most of the first few post are people throwing accusations of how one group wants to do nothing but screw people over and the other is trying to save people. Without any validation to speak of in fact.

Putting people with pre-existing conditions on insurance plans makes as much sense as putting a wrecked car on an insurance plan.

The point of insurance is to be paying before something happens, not after. The ACA doesnt work, scrap it, what we had before was fine.

Personally I get my insurance through my employer because Im not a loser.

Putting people with pre-existing conditions on insurance plans makes as much sense as putting a wrecked car on an insurance plan.

The point of insurance is to be paying before something happens, not after. The ACA doesnt work, scrap it, what we had before was fine.

Having insurance and being a loser are clearly not mutually exclusive.

So you just haven't been reading through the thread then?

Most of the first few post are people throwing accusations of how one group wants to do nothing but screw people over and the other is trying to save people. Without any validation to speak of in fact.

Nothing you provided, even now, is relevant to the thread, so why bother?

Healthcare is the Democrats best issue. Illegal immigration is the Republicans best issue.

And I can tell you which one is the larger issue. It ain't immigration.

Before the ACA your employer provided coverage could have lifetime caps, high deductibles and certainly didn’t cover children up to 26.
If one got cancer, the lifetime cap is a big deal.

Other countries have insurance that covers preexisting conditions. It’s done by having everyone in the insurance pool. That’s why the ACA required an individual mandate.

I resent that you call those without employer provided insurance “losers.” Those are 60 million people, including children.

Before the ACA your employer provided coverage could have lifetime caps, high deductibles and certainly didn’t cover children up to 26.
If one got cancer, the lifetime cap is a big deal.

Other countries have insurance that covers preexisting conditions. It’s done by having everyone in the insurance pool. That’s why the ACA required an individual mandate.

I resent that you call those without employer provided insurance “losers.” Those are 60 million people, including children.

Should have worked harder to put themselves and their families in a better position. They failed are parents but Im supposed to want to bail them out? No.

Quotes without comment.

“I am going to take care of everybody … Everybody’s going to be taken care of much better than they’re taken care of now.”

"Despite what you hear in the press, healthcare is coming along great. We are talking to many groups and it will end in a beautiful picture!"

President of the United States of America Donald Trump

The campaign to bring back pre-existing conditions kicks into high gear this week.

A sophistic ruling from a single Texas judge unveiled late last year, held until safely after the midterm elections when it couldn't further doom the GOP's chances, would dismantle the entire ACA, depriving tens of millions of people of their coverage and throwing the American health system into chaos. This week the oral arguments in front of a panel of judges from the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans begin. The stakes are life-and-death.

Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic states in court

We have all heard Trump say, over and over, that people with pre-existing conditions must be taken care of properly.
However, it seems American culture is more infused with a deep sense of independence than say...Canada...and thus there is a deep resentment of a national government forcing them to buy insurance. If people in the USA do not want to pay for insurance, then they take a risk with their own health. I'm not sure I agree with that course of action, but I do understand it. And isn't "understanding" an important part of "intellect"? Or are the Libbies re-defining "intellect" to mean..."our way or the hi-way"???

Should have worked harder to put themselves and their families in a better position. They failed are parents but Im supposed to want to bail them out? No.
I am glad for you that you are in a position that if you got cancer, you would be able to pay out-of-pocket for any bills once you met your lifetime cap. Most people, regardless of how hard the work, aren't in a position to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for such treatments.

But I do note your, "I got mine, so 7uck everyone else," attitude.

We have all heard Trump say, over and over, that people with pre-existing conditions must be taken care of properly.
However, it seems American culture is more infused with a deep sense of independence than say...Canada...and thus there is a deep resentment of a national government forcing them to buy insurance. If people in the USA do not want to pay for insurance, then they take a risk with their own health. I'm not sure I agree with that course of action, but I do understand it. And isn't "understanding" an important part of "intellect"? Or are the Libbies re-defining "intellect" to mean..."our way or the hi-way"???
There's quite a bit of evidence that Americans want preexisting coverage. Once it is explained to people that mandating that everyone is covered is the price for covering preexisting conditions, people are more accepting of government "forcing" them to buy insurance.

Yes, we all heard Trump say, over and over, that people with preexisting conditions must be taken care of properly, but he was merely giving us lip-service. The actual proposals that he got behind weakened preexisting coverage and also drove up the cost to tens of millions so much that they couldn't afford to buy insurance. I put Trump's preexisting coverage statement right up there with his statement that his tax plan raises taxes on the rich: “And it’s not good for me, believe me.”

The campaign to bring back pre-existing conditions kicks into high gear this week.

A sophistic ruling from a single Texas judge unveiled late last year, held until safely after the midterm elections when it couldn't further doom the GOP's chances, would dismantle the entire ACA, depriving tens of millions of people of their coverage and throwing the American health system into chaos. This week the oral arguments in front of a panel of judges from the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans begin. The stakes are life-and-death.

Affordable Care Act threatened as Trump administration, GOP states fight U.S. House, Democratic states in court

Good, wipe it all out. The federal govt has no business interfering in the healthcare industry. Forcing insurers to cover pre-existing conditions was one of the dumbest things ever and all its done is INCREASE the cost of insurance to those of us who actually pay taxes and pay for our own healthcare.

There's quite a bit of evidence that Americans want preexisting coverage. Once it is explained to people that mandating that everyone is covered is the price for covering preexisting conditions, people are more accepting of government "forcing" them to buy insurance.

Yes, we all heard Trump say, over and over, that people with preexisting conditions must be taken care of properly, but he was merely giving us lip-service. The actual proposals that he got behind weakened preexisting coverage and also drove up the cost to tens of millions so much that they couldn't afford to buy insurance. I put Trump's preexisting coverage statement right up there with his statement that his tax plan raises taxes on the rich: “And it’s not good for me, believe me.”

Of course American want health coverage for people with pre-existing conditions. They also don't want to pay for insurance, if they don't want to.
What part of that simple explanation eludes you? And what does the tax benefits have to do with HC insurance?

Common sense there, but obviously this is about social equality and buying votes, not affordability or efficiency.

Good, wipe it all out. The federal govt has no business interfering in the healthcare industry. Forcing insurers to cover pre-existing conditions was one of the dumbest things ever and all its done is INCREASE the cost of insurance to those of us who actually pay taxes and pay for our own healthcare.
You are bit late to the party. The federal government has been regulating (e.g. interfering) with the health insurance industry for over 100 years. Did you ever wonder why every employee, regardless of age or condition, pays the same rate in your company's health insurance plan? It's because the federal regulations say that such plans can't discriminate.

My healthcare insurance, which I get from my employer, was increasing every year, double digit percentages, prior to the passing of the ACA. Can you post a link to show me how insurance costs were going down every year prior to the ACA passage, and the ACA reversed that?

"What we had before" may have been fine in the fifties and sixties when unions were negotiating for better pay and benefits. Those days are gone.

Fewer and fewer companies are offering insurance, it is going the way of the pension.

Many of our manufacturing jobs are moving to countries with universal health care as they don't have to pay it. Think auto industry...

My healthcare insurance, which I get from my employer, was increasing every year, double digit percentages, prior to the passing of the ACA. Can you post a link to show me how insurance costs were going down every year prior to the ACA passage, and the ACA reversed that?

Back when I used to get insurance through my employer, we would have yearly updates that I called our annual benefits reduction meetings.

Common sense there, but obviously this is about social equality and buying votes, not affordability or efficiency.
What people think is common sense, often isn't.

Please provide your studies and evidence that letting people with preexisting conditions fend for themselves and likely die on the streets, is more efficient and more affordable. Beyond the immorality of just letting people die, society has found is that it is neither more affordable nor efficient to let otherwise productive people just die. Back in the 1970s, people who needed dialysis but couldn't afford it just were allowed to die. Richard Nixon put a stop to that, changing the Social Security Act to give medical coverage to virtually anyone diagnosed with kidney failure.

Back when I used to get insurance through my employer, we would have yearly updates that I called our annual benefits reduction meetings.

All employers still do it. They fully disclose the upcoming choices and prices.

The ACA didn't raise the cost of the employer sponsored insurance at all. If anything, it stopped the trajectory of price increases, and also made it less expensive in the end. Thanks to the ACA, my annual mammograms are now covered. I used to have to pay upwards of $750 per year for them.

All employers still do it. They fully disclose the upcoming choices and prices.

The ACA didn't raise the cost of the employer sponsored insurance at all. If anything, it stopped the trajectory of price increases, and also made it less expensive in the end. Thanks to the ACA, my annual mammograms are now covered. I used to have to pay upwards of $750 per year for them.
And you know what? Having 'free' mammograms saves the insurance company money because it encourages women to have them -- avoiding the expense of the alternative. That's common sense!

And you know what? Having 'free' mammograms saves the insurance company money because it encourages women to have them -- avoiding the expense of the alternative. That's common sense!

Whooooh hold on there don't be bringing common sense in this, thems fightin words!!!

Exactly. Early detection saves everyone money. Everyone.

But trying to convince the "right" of that is like trying to get my cat to count to 20. Impossible.

Back
Top Bottom