• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

3 reported dead, 15 injured amid gunfire at New Mexico high school

So, maybe we need to look at those other major differences.

such as? some societies have demographics that are not prone to violence. For example, Japanese have very low rates of violence and a almost no gun violence but people of Japanese ethnicity in the state also have very very low rates of violence and almost no gun crime even though guns are obviously far more available in the USA than in Japan where handguns are banned, rifles extremely hard to get and shotguns are of very limited access.

When the revolving door at prisons is shut, when plea bargains are not the 'norm' and when you commit a crime, you serve the full sentence, period.

A position neither the gop or democrats endorse

There are no facts that indicate any mental health issues as the cause.

in this case you might well be right, I was talking about shootings in general

Well, it was time. It's been a month or so since the last mass shooting.

Time for the Democrats to call for an assault weapon ban, the Republicans to cite the Second Amendment, and no one to even suggest practical way to actually stop mass shootings from being a regular occurrence.

And don't forget the republicans saying something as worthless as "our prayers are with the families." AGAIN

Last edited:
Well, according to right-libertarians, that should be handled by the free market. Why isn't the all-powerful free market handling it?

Good point. Help with mental health issues is out of reach of a very large segment of our population. Very expensive! And a waiting list months long.

I know because one of my parents is dealing with this.

Good point. Help with mental health issues is out of reach of a very large segment of our population. Very expensive! And a waiting list months long.

I know because one of my parents is dealing with this.

do the taxpayers (i.e. about half the country when it comes to the FIT) have a duty to pay more and more and more to solve all these problems?

Bad people do bad things. That's never going away. Taking away one tool with which they do bad things won't stop them from doing bad things; they'll simply find a new tool.

Yeah because a knife or hammer can kill just as many people and as fast as an assault rifle. God I get sick of stupid comments like yours.

Start making people responsible for their crimes. You have people getting arrested multiple times
then while out of jail they commit more violence. Put them in jail and leave then there.

And this has what to do with school shootings by first offenders that snap?

do the taxpayers (i.e. about half the country when it comes to the FIT) have a duty to pay more and more and more to solve all these problems?

I don't know... are just going to accept mass shootings as part of culture... way of the land.... sacrificial lambs of freedom... or do you want to do something and try and stop them?

IMO it's cultural and moral decay along with individuals seeking fame via the route of committing high-profile crimes. The Aurora theater shooter admitted as much.

A little more than just seeking fame. He had easy access to massive fire power and was certifiably nuts.

Last edited:
Yeah because a knife or hammer can kill just as many people and as fast as an assault rifle. God I get sick of stupid comments like yours.

Airplane, truck, car, homemade bomb, cyanide, etc.

He's right --- you can't stop evil people from killing a lot of people if that's what their sick mind wants to do.

I don't know... are just going to accept mass shootings as part of culture... way of the land.... sacrificial lambs of freedom... or do you want to do something and try and stop them?

yeah, I help train teachers here in Ohio on how to deal with active shooters.

There are no facts that indicate any mental health issues as the cause.

Yes nothing tells us that people that do these shootings have any mental issues.

yRmGg1Xm.jpg

He may not care until it comes close to home?

Airplane, truck, car, homemade bomb, cyanide, etc.

He's right --- you can't stop evil people from killing a lot of people if that's what their sick mind wants to do.

But we can at least reduce access to things that are designed to kill lots of people as fast as possible.

We've already done is with airplanes, cyanide, and bomb making materials. Why not guns that are designed to kill as many people as possible in as short a time as possible?

Think you can get on a plane now without heightened security? Just go out and buy dynamite or ammonium nitrate? And the same goes for cyanide.

I'm sure this will get another of my posts quoted in the Dungeon, but there are obvious differences: Most of the crime in the US is committed by demographics that other Western countries do not have, especially that numerous as we do.

Yeah, high school students are an American peculiarity.

I'm sure this will get another of my posts quoted in the Dungeon, but there are obvious differences: Most of the crime in the US is committed by demographics that other Western countries do not have, especially that numerous as we do.

Do elaborate. Which demographics could you possibly be referring to?

I also suspect people who have no military training on grenades are scared to use one as well but the fact is, there are millions upon millions of guns in circulation and that is a fact that will not change in any time soon

So you agree that the problem is the millions of guns in circulation?

how many mass shootings in ohio has your training prevented?

How many deaths have flu vaccines prevented? we don't know. we don't know if some sick twisted kid decided not to try to shoot up a school because he knew the teachers were armed. How many shootings have been prevented by non-Americans complaining about US Gun laws?

But we can at least reduce access to things that are designed to kill lots of people as fast as possible.

We'e already done is with airplanes, cyanide, and bomb making materials. Why not guns that are designed to kill as many people as possible in as short a time as possible?

I'm perfectly fine with making it illegal to enhance your semi-automatic into something that can shoot like a fully automatic. I thought that was already illegal.

The problem is with the people --- these psychopaths shouldn't be out on the streets to begin with. They need to be in an asylum where they can be treated for their mental illness and completely removed from having any means to hurt others.

From what I read it sounds like some highschool kid got up this morning and decided to blow away two of his classmates and in the process got himself killed.

My deepest sympathies to all the parents that did not get to see their children return home tonight.

This is occurring much too often.

Maybe it is time to stop talking gun control but rather why so many of our youth have no respect for human life.

What is it in society that is sending a message to our youth that cheapens life to the point too many are willing to take the life of another even when it means their own in the process?

So you agree that the problem is the millions of guns in circulation?

its a given. its not something that is going to change. so complaining about guns (which usually is due to politics rather than an honest belief that will help deal with crime) and how many we have is a waste of time. We have things like a second and fourth amendment. we have thousands of miles of borders and thousands of machine shops

I'm perfectly fine with making it illegal to enhance your semi-automatic into something that can shoot like a fully automatic. I thought that was already illegal.

The problem is with the people --- these psychopaths shouldn't be out on the streets to begin with. They need to be in an asylum where they can be treated for their mental illness and completely removed from having any means to hurt others.

Very easy to say.....very hard to do

From what I read it sounds like some highschool kid got up this morning and decided to blow away two of his classmates and in the process got himself killed.

My deepest sympathies to all the parents that did not get to see their children return home tonight.

This is occurring much too often.

Maybe it is time to stop talking gun control but rather why so many of our youth have no respect for human life.

What is it in society that is sending a message to our youth that cheapens life to the point too many are willing to take the life of another even when it means their own in the process?

excellent post

my father graduated HS in 44. he was the top HS skeet shooter in the country and the varsity rifle team captain. He and other kids at his boarding school had shotguns and rifles easily available. No one EVER got shot. At college, he was in the Navy. he was an officer who had "shore patrol" at the New Haven Harbor. He would attend classes at Yale IN UNIFORM with a pistol on his belt and then go to his duty station. that was not unusual. No one got shot. My HS was next to a country club with a skeet range. half the students had parents or cousins who were members. the village shooting range was 2 miles away. Kids who could drive often had shotguns or 22 rifles in their trunks and as a senior, I'd drive the 800 yards to the CC and shoot skeet on free period. NO ONE EVER GOT SHOT.

access to firearms was never an issue

Back
Top Bottom