• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

3 reported dead, 15 injured amid gunfire at New Mexico high school

Part of the Libertarian philosophy, not necessarily the party of that name, is that the purpose of government is to protect our liberties. If I can't be safe in a crowd because crazies are out there with powerful weapons, then it's a legitimate function of government to protect me from those crazies. The best way to do that is to keep weapons out of the hands of those crazies. Requiring a license for the purchase of a firearm isn't going to stop legitimate gun owners from purchasing all of the guns they want. It would save time, as the purchaser wouldn't have to undergo a background check for every purchase.

The "banners" you rail about want to limit the sorts of guns that are available. To me, that makes no sense as it does limit a Constitutional right, but does nothing to keep the public safe.

CCW licenses accomplish that. Most libertarians I know oppose the concept of a background check as well but I think you make a decent point though I don't agree with it

If they lend a gun to a friend who then goes hunting, shoots no one, and returns the gun, of course not.
If the friend takes the gun and holds up the nearest Quickie Mart, then yes, the lender is an accessory before the fact.

so if I lend my brother my car because he says he needs to pick some groceries up and his is busted and he then does a drive by shooting, that makes me guilty?

so if I lend my brother my car because he says he needs to pick some groceries up and his is busted and he then does a drive by shooting, that makes me guilty?

Now, that's a good question. You did enable him to commit the crime, at least in part. If you knew he was about to, or had a potential to, go out and do a drive by, I'd bet on the prosecution. If not, I'd bet on the defense.

But, it's difficult to tell what a jury might do.

The difference is the purpose of a gun is to shoot. A car's purpose is transportation.

Now, that's a good question. You did enable him to commit the crime, at least in part. If you knew he was about to, or had a potential to, go out and do a drive by, I'd bet on the prosecution. If not, I'd bet on the defense.

But, it's difficult to tell what a jury might do.

The difference is the purpose of a gun is to shoot. A car's purpose is transportation.

guns are used to shoot millions of times a day in the USA. I just got done shooting a GSSF indoor league. 100 or so cards @ 50 rounds. that is 5000 rounds of pistol ammo shot in one day in one of thousands of gun ranges or gun clubs in the USA without anyone being harmed in any way. that's more rounds in one club in one day than all the murders in the USA over a two year period caused by those who legally owned the gun at the time of the murder.

so for most cases in the USA-shooting is not a harmful, illegal or improper activity.

guns are used to shoot millions of times a day in the USA. I just got done shooting a GSSF indoor league. 100 or so cards @ 50 rounds. that is 5000 rounds of pistol ammo shot in one day in one of thousands of gun ranges or gun clubs in the USA without anyone being harmed in any way. that's more rounds in one club in one day than all the murders in the USA over a two year period caused by those who legally owned the gun at the time of the murder.

so for most cases in the USA-shooting is not a harmful, illegal or improper activity.

In most cases, that's true. That's why we need to get the guns out of the hands of the criminal element and the nutters.

Sounds to me like shooting, at the scale you like to do it, is a rather expensive hobby.

Back
Top Bottom