• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

2024 is starting out even warmer than 2023!

Please cite the work of any climate scientist claiming the world is heading for armaggedon ? :unsure:

Armaggedon? I don't think that's mentioned anywhere.

IPCC has a lot of scientists contributing and their reports are high quality and based on a lot of scientific work, combined together.

IPCC has a lot of scientists contributing and their reports are high quality and based on a lot of scientific work, combined together.

So you'll have no problem citing the empirically established peer reviewed and published AGW climate doomsday papers from them then ? :unsure:

You could ask the scientists but I suppose they won't answer, since they won't be able to stop laughing at you.
I have asked them, read their reports, and articles. Try it sometime - it's very eye-opening.

That is nothing but another of your pathetic lies!!

What the hell, long?? Did you go and search for and cherry-pick an article to back up your original claim of ~0.2C per decade? It looks like you did!!

:ROFLMAO:

That is just messed up. You never said anything about 1978. All you did was give us all a graph of NASA's Gistemp starting in 2008 with the claim that warming was only ~0.2C per decade when, in fact, the trend for the data you cited was 0.32C per decade. And the article you just cited used NOAA data and not NASA data.

So What? One obscure reference to an old Russian article you were able to dig up doesn't prove that you didn't make up the term. And why do you keep avoiding explaining what the term delta code modulation has to do with climate change? It is because it has nothing to do with climate change and you know it.

Random events are part of the average no matter how much you want to pretend they aren't.

Except when the next Superbowl is hosted there. Or when the population of the city increases and the traffic increases(like warming is increasing).

Yes, the site is from Harvard... but the article came from a Russian publication. Face it, long... The article didn't come from Harvard. You were wrong.

Damn,longview... why do you insist on making a fool of yourself every time I go and show how you are wrong about something?
Buzz the trend in the modern warming period usually defined as since 1978 is about 0.2C per decade, that is what the GISS record shows and now what has been collaborated by another site.
Do you think nasa and NOAA’s data disagrees?

When I find something at Harvard.edu, saying Harvard cited it is not a lie!

I am not sure why you insist on disagreeing with statistics, but random signals average out while systematic signals build.

So you'll have no problem citing the empirically established peer reviewed and published AGW climate doomsday papers from them then ? :unsure:

There are for example this peer reviewed federal report about the urgent need to reduce CO2 emissions.

"The impacts of climate change are already being felt in communities across the country. More frequent and intense extreme weather and climate-related events, as well as changes in average climate conditions, are expected to continue to damage infrastructure, ecosystems, and social systems that provide essential benefits to communities. Future climate change is expected to further disrupt many areas of life, exacerbating existing challenges to prosperity posed by aging and deteriorating infrastructure, stressed ecosystems, and economic inequality. Impacts within and across regions will not be distributed equally. People who are already vulnerable, including lower-income and other marginalized communities, have lower capacity to prepare for and cope with extreme weather and climate-related events and are expected to experience greater impacts. Prioritizing adaptation actions for the most vulnerable populations would contribute to a more equitable future within and across communities. Global action to significantly cut greenhouse gas emissions can substantially reduce climate-related risks and increase opportunities for these populations in the longer term."

The report was published in 2018 then Republican politicians controlled the White House and Congress. There those Republicans had a very close and profitable relationship with fossil fuel companies and fossil fuel dictatorships. So the reason that those Republicans couldn't stop the report was because the evidence was so overwhelming.

Nope they are all based on non empirical subjectively applied climate modelling.

Or guesswork for short

Apply billions in funds sequestered by vested interests and usually from the western taxpayers pocket and you are where we are today with for example the UK having the highest energy costs in the Western world due to its massive over commitment to useless renewables. :rolleyes:

Nope they are all based on non empirical subjectively applied climate modelling.

Or guesswork for short

Apply billions in funds sequestered by vested interests and usually from the western taxpayers pocket and you are where we are today with for example the UK having the highest energy costs in the Western world due to its massive over commitment to useless renewables. :rolleyes:
Costs of renewables? Americans blindly believe the only cost of oil is the price at the pump. Why cannot the coal and oil executives calculate the true cost of their products? It's because they can never quantify it.

Costs of renewables? Americans blindly believe the only cost of oil is the price at the pump. Why cannot the coal and oil executives calculate the true cost of their products? It's because they can never quantify it.
Fossil fuels work economically where renewables don’t that’s the big difference 🫤

Fossil fuels work economically where renewables don’t that’s the big difference 🫤
How would the costs of fossil fuels be quantified? It's more than just the price at the pump, right? What data do you have to know they're economical?

How would the costs of fossil fuels be quantified? It's more than just the price at the pump, right? What data do you have to know they're economical?
What are you talking about?

The cost of gasoline begins at the well where the crude oil is originally produced. The current price for a barrel of Alaskan crude oil is $72.39. However, by the time that barrel of crude oil gets refined, taxed, and shipped to market as gasoline it will cost $97.82 plus whatever your State gasoline tax happens to be. Approximately $9.78 goes to refining costs, $10.76 in federal taxes, and $4.89 goes into marketing and distribution.

What separates fossil fuels from renewables is energy density. The energy from solar and wind must be stored, and even the best battery technology can offer is at least an order of magnitude worse than fossil fuels. The best lithium-ion battery on the market today has an energy density of 270 Wh/kg. Whereas gasoline as an energy density of 12,888.9 Wh/kg, or more than 47 times greater than the best lithium-ion battery.

A gallon of gasoline holds about 33 kWh of energy, and can be created at a 60% storage efficiency with 55kWh of electricity.
At $0.05 per wholesale kWh, this works out to oil at $96 a barrel. If they can, find, extract and transport the oil to the refinery for less than that, it is economical, But it will not always be so!

Buzz the trend in the modern warming period usually defined as since 1978
Oh really?? Just a little more than a week ago you cherry-picked a 90-year trend to try and make it look like US summers were seeing almost no warming. And then when I called you on that cherry-pick and cited what the warming was over a 40-year period(from 1993) you accused me of cherry-picking. So now, all of a sudden, after you have to cherry-pick a period to back up your earlier statement, 45 years is the standard??

:LOL:

I swear... you are the biggest cherry-picker I know.
is about 0.2C per decade, that is what the GISS record shows and now what has been collaborated by another site.
Look, long... you gave us all a graph of data starting in 2008. Now if your stated warming trend was of a different period then you should have said so and you wouldn't have to cherry-pick a different period and make yourself look foolish yet again.
Do you think nasa and NOAA’s data disagrees?
Not enough to matter.
When I find something at Harvard.edu, saying Harvard cited it is not a lie!
You didn't say that Harvard cited it. You said the article came from Harvard. And it didn't come from Harvard, it came from a Russian publication. You were wrong!
I am not sure why you insist on disagreeing with statistics, but random signals average out while systematic signals build.
Oh, brother... random signals are as much a part of the overall average as systemic signals are. When are you going to quit pushing this misleading BS?

Or guesswork for short
This is just not true. Flogger doesn't know what he is talking about.
UK having the highest energy costs in the Western world due to its massive over commitment to useless renewables. :rolleyes:
I don't suppose you have anything to back up this claim... do you? I doubt it.

A gallon of gasoline holds about 33 kWh of energy, and can be created at a 60% storage efficiency with 55kWh of electricity.
At $0.05 per wholesale kWh, this works out to oil at $96 a barrel. If they can, find, extract and transport the oil to the refinery for less than that, it is economical, But it will not always be so!
Does that cost include the trillions of dollars that the oil companies are going to have to spend to build new refineries or retrofit old ones to be able to start producing these man-made fuels?

Oh really?? Just a little more than a week ago you cherry-picked a 90-year trend to try and make it look like US summers were seeing almost no warming. And then when I called you on that cherry-pick and cited what the warming was over a 40-year period(from 1993) you accused me of cherry-picking. So now, all of a sudden, after you have to cherry-pick a period to back up your earlier statement, 45 years is the standard??

:LOL:

I swear... you are the biggest cherry-picker I know.

Look, long... you gave us all a graph of data starting in 2008. Now if your stated warming trend was of a different period then you should have said so and you wouldn't have to cherry-pick a different period and make yourself look foolish yet again.

Not enough to matter.

You didn't say that Harvard cited it. You said the article came from Harvard. And it didn't come from Harvard, it came from a Russian publication. You were wrong!

Oh, brother... random signals are as much a part of the overall average as systemic signals are. When are you going to quit pushing this misleading BS?
Tell us, if the time period were earlier than 1978, would the trend be higher or lower?

I found the citation on Harvard’s site, they are the ones who cited the publication!

If you do not understand the difference between how random signals average vs systematic signals, why are you attempting to field an argument?

Does that cost include the trillions of dollars that the oil companies are going to have to spend to build new refineries or retrofit old ones to be able to start producing these man-made fuels?
Nope, and the cost of the front end retrofit will be prorated over dozens of years, the back end of the refinery will remain the same, because assembly of hydrocarbon molecules is the same no what the source of the olefins!

Tell us, if the time period were earlier than 1978, would the trend be higher or lower?
Lower. The further back you go the lower the trend. That is why you had to go back to 1978 to get your ~0.2C per decade trend.
I found the citation on Harvard’s site, they are the ones who cited the publication!
You never said 'cite", you said 'came from'. Not the same thing. Why can't you admit you were wrong?
If you do not understand the difference between how random signals average vs systematic signals, why are you attempting to field an argument?
I understand the differences just fine. I am well aware that it is the systemic signals primarily caused by AGW that are warming the planet and that the random signals from the El Nino Southern Oscillation and weather events both hide and reinforce those systemic signals. Your problem is that you only want to ignore and remove the peaks from El Ninos as if they shouldn't be included while you don't do the same for the valleys that occur when La Ninos happen. And since it is pretty much impossible to precisely quantify all those random events it is pointless to try and remove them from the temperature record like you constantly want to do.

Nope, and the cost of the front end retrofit will be prorated over dozens of years, the back end of the refinery will remain the same, because assembly of hydrocarbon molecules is the same no what the source of the olefins!
So... your estimate of $96 a barrel is just wrong.

Because renewables clearly arent as Western countries overcommitted to them are sadly finding out as their pensioners freeze.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/263492/electricity-prices-in-selected-countries/

Why is my country more than 5 times as expensive as China per KwH ?

This is prematurely killing people in the UK here and now who cannot currently afford to heat their homes properly not in some climate modelled fantasy future :(

Last edited:
So... your estimate of $96 a barrel is just wrong.
Not at all, the costs of the refinery are there no matter what the source of the olefins are!

Lower. The further back you go the lower the trend. That is why you had to go back to 1978 to get your ~0.2C per decade trend.

You never said 'cite", you said 'came from'. Not the same thing. Why can't you admit you were wrong?

I understand the differences just fine. I am well aware that it is the systemic signals primarily caused by AGW that are warming the planet and that the random signals from the El Nino Southern Oscillation and weather events both hide and reinforce those systemic signals. Your problem is that you only want to ignore and remove the peaks from El Ninos as if they shouldn't be included while you don't do the same for the valleys that occur when La Ninos happen. And since it is pretty much impossible to precisely quantify all those random events it is pointless to try and remove them from the temperature record like you constantly want to do.
There is plenty of documentation that the observed warming associated with AGW began in 1978, but some do place the start at 1980
Since you came up with a trend rate, what start date did you use?

I found a link on a Harvard university website, close enough!

Random signals do not reinforce or degrade any signal in the long run, only systematic signals do that.

What are you talking about?
I'm asking what are the extenalized costs of burning fossil fuels, health care costs, environmental cleanup costs, etc. It is known, for example, that some of those costs are in the billions. But how many billions?

Last edited:
I'm asking what are the extenalized costs of burning fossil fuels, health care costs, environmental cleanup costs, etc. It is known, for example, that some of those costs are in the billions. But how many billions?
Do we also have to consider the billions of people who are alive and productive today, because of the benefits of fossil fuels?
What things do you depend on every day, that would not be available but for our use of fossil fuels?

Back
Top Bottom