• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

You should be forced to sell your house and rent

If someone is fully employed and responsible, they aren't going to be homeless. Any person capable of holding down a job is capable of getting a cheap apartment with roommates. There are also many resources to use for people that are homeless, and need shelter, but are responsible people. The homeless do not want to follow rules that are laid out for such places. Those who are homeless are homeless directly through their own actions, which is drugs or sever mental health issues.
You’re literally just denying reality because it makes you uncomfortable.
As many as 40%-60% of people experiencing homelessness have a job, buthousing is unaffordable because wages have not kept up with rising rents. There is no county or state where a full-time minimum-wage worker can afford a modest apartment.

Yes, there are people who are homeless because they are mentally ill, chronic drug users, gambling addicts, etc. Everyone has interacted with them on the street.

But it is not only possible to be homeless due to no fault of your own and be completely responsible, but that is a plurality of homeless people.

You think wages haven’t kept up with inflation? Don’t look up wages relative to rent…

We literally have a shortage of affordable housing. In 1970 we had a surplus of affordable housing.

But the idea that someone can do everything right and still have the system fail them makes you uncomfortable. It isn’t very meritocratic. It isn’t very fair. And you believe we live in a fair meritocratic system that rewards people that work hard and do the right thing.

So the fact of half of all homeless people being fully employed and responsible and still being homeless is giving you cognitive dissonance. Because if that’s true then your fundamental beliefs about society are in question. So you have to rationalize why people are homeless, because you don’t believe our system fails hard working responsible people. So they have to all be drug addicts, or lazy, or maybe even want to be homeless.

If someone is fully employed and responsible, they aren't going to be homeless.
Yes, they are. I'm one of them. I work full time, go to school part time, and my only socializing is done on here. :(
Any person capable of holding down a job is capable of getting a cheap apartment with roommates.
I don't know a single person who needs a roommate and I trusted a stranger once to be roommates with--and that's how I ended up homeless.
There are also many resources to use for people that are homeless, and need shelter, but are responsible people.
No--there isn't, because there is no such thing as affordable housing anymore. That's just reality.
The homeless do not want to follow rules that are laid out for such places.
Yes, they do. Most of us are normal, average people who put their pants on one leg at a time--just like you. I am your equal.
Those who are homeless are homeless directly through their own actions, which is drugs or sever mental health issues.
No. That's 20-30% of homeless folks--not the majority.

Read.

You’re literally just denying reality because it makes you uncomfortable.

Yes, there are people who are homeless because they are mentally ill, chronic drug users, gambling addicts, etc. Everyone has interacted with them on the street.

But it is not only possible to be homeless due to no fault of your own and be completely responsible, but that is a plurality of homeless people.

You think wages haven’t kept up with inflation? Don’t look up wages relative to rent…

We literally have a shortage of affordable housing. In 1970 we had a surplus of affordable housing.

But the idea that someone can do everything right and still have the system fail them makes you uncomfortable. It isn’t very meritocratic. It isn’t very fair. And you believe we live in a fair meritocratic system that rewards people that work hard and do the right thing.

So the fact of half of all homeless people being fully employed and responsible and still being homeless is giving you cognitive dissonance. Because if that’s true then your fundamental beliefs about society are in question. So you have to rationalize why people are homeless, because you don’t believe our system fails hard working responsible people. So they have to all be drug addicts, or lazy, or maybe even want to be homeless.
I'm denying nothing. Get a roommate. Pretty simple. Also "have a job" can mean almost anything. It could be some menial job that is worked one day a week and is more of a charity case than a job. This is basic problem solving and basic reality. I've lived in a studio with two other roommates before.

Yes, they are. I'm one of them. I work full time, go to school part time, and my only socializing is done on here. :(
Stop going to school. There, cut costs for you. Also, do real life socializing. Join the military, do something different. There are options.
I don't know a single person who needs a roommate and I trusted a stranger once to be roommates with--and that's how I ended up homeless.
That's your own decision. I guess if someone has a bad marriage they should never get married again ever? How about having a bad work experience? Never work again? That's not a sustainable mind set.
No--there isn't, because there is no such thing as affordable housing anymore. That's just reality.
There are shelters.
Yes, they do. Most of us are normal, average people who put their pants on one leg at a time--just like you. I am your equal.
Then there shouldn't be a problem with using a shelter.
No. That's 20-30% of homeless folks--not the majority.

Read.
It comes down to personal life choices.

Stop going to school. There, cut costs for you. Also, do real life socializing. Join the military, do something different. There are options.
How do you know school is even a cost? If you’re poor enough community college can often be free.

Be responsible, but also stop doing the one thing that is most likely to improve your financial situation and job opportunities. Lmao.

There are options. You can always sign your life away to the state (assuming she is part of the minority of Americans that meet military recruitment standards).

There are shelters.
It’s amazing to me that you are under the impression that there are just plenty of free shelters for homeless people and thousands of people are just…like choosing to be cold or hot and live in a tent and shit in the woods for fun or something.

Most shelters are full at any given time.

You do speak confidently of things you know nothing about though, I’ll give you that.

Quitting school is a stupid idea. I will never make enough money to afford a rental without a college education.
That's your own decision. I guess if someone has a bad marriage they should never get married again ever? How about having a bad work experience? Never work again? That's not a sustainable mind set.
I won't do the roommate with a stranger thing again, that's for sure. The risk of ending up homeless is too great.
There are shelters.
I'm considered sheltered homeless.
Then there shouldn't be a problem with using a shelter.

It comes down to personal life choices.
Yes--and following the choices you advocate led me to be homeless.

The point is--you can make all the best choices in the world--but they're only as good as your options. Anyone can end up homeless through no fault of their own. It can happen to you--it can happen to your neighbor, you child, sibling, parents, etc.

And expect it to get worse until more homes are built.

The point is--you can make all the best choices in the world--but they're only as good as your options. Anyone can end up homeless through no fault of their own. It can happen to you--it can happen to your neighbor, you child, sibling, parents, etc.

Take some personal responsibility. Why don’t you build affordable housing yourself?

Quitting school is a stupid idea. I will never make enough money to afford a rental without a college education.

I won't do the roommate with a stranger thing again, that's for sure. The risk of ending up homeless is too great.

The feds need to release some of their land. Lombardo is right. Nevada needs land to build housing, but it literally takes an act of Congress to transfer any federal lands. There are bills in both chambers. It won't get better unless and until they pass.

My buddy's kid is college aged, but never went to college. Got a job working on the floor of a manufacturing plant and worked hard and worked his way up. He has no debt and has over 100K in the bank. The lie that going into debt for a college education being the only way to succeed is ruining people, especially kids. The fact is, if you go to work and work hard, are reliable, you'll be ablet to get better opportunities. Hell, I got my CDL to drive a school bus paid for by the company when I was 19. That CDL opened up other jobs for me.

Not at all. You giving up made you homeless.
Again, your own choice.

Temporarily, sure, but not enduring. Making the right decisions, consistently, won't result in homelessness. One issue is the utter social failing, no one to lean on, be it family or friends. That doesn't happen on accident.

The feds need to release some of their land. Lombardo is right. Nevada needs land to build housing, but it literally takes an act of Congress to transfer any federal lands. There are bills in both chambers. It won't get better unless and until they pass.

It's insane that ANY state would have a shortage of 84,000 homes for the people that live there.

One of the main arguments against programs like giving housing to homeless people or the government funded housing is that, without the constant threat of homelessness, people will be less productive or possibly not work at all. This logic is also often applied to other welfare programs that provide some kind of social safety net.

So if providing people with housing for free is bad because it makes people lazy, it makes sense to me that forcing homeowners to sell their houses is good because it makes people more productive and competitive. After all, those home owners with paid off mortgages or low mortgage payments have had it too good for too long. With their lower costs than renting and economic stability gained from owing their home there just isn't a fire under their ass anymore like their is for renters.

So, what do you think? Is it time we put and end to what no doubt must be one of the laziest demographics who might be able to do horrible unproductive things like turn down shitty jobs because they have a place to live?

I think we could increase GDP by at least 20% with my radical plan.

Wth are you even talking about?

My buddy's kid is college aged, but never went to college. Got a job working on the floor of a manufacturing plant and worked hard and worked his way up. He has no debt and has over 100K in the bank. The lie that going into debt for a college education being the only way to succeed is ruining people, especially kids. The fact is, if you go to work and work hard, are reliable, you'll be ablet to get better opportunities. Hell, I got my CDL to drive a school bus paid for by the company when I was 19. That CDL opened up other jobs for me.
I'm a woman who had 3 children. Different story.
Not at all. You giving up made you homeless.
No--the roommate I trusted to keep her lease broke it and left for another state. That's what made me homeless. I couldn't find another and I couldn't pay the rent alone. I didn't want an eviction on my record, so I had to leave as well--because it's illegal to stay in a rental property without paying rent.
Again, your own choice.

Temporarily, sure, but not enduring. Making the right decisions, consistently, won't result in homelessness. One issue is the utter social failing, no one to lean on, be it family or friends. That doesn't happen on accident.
If there's no one to lean on (as in my case) then you make do the best you can--and sometimes it's better to be homeless than a criminal.

And college is necessary today if you want to pay rent. There is no longer affordable housing.

If you research the housing crisis in the United States, you might have a better idea about how DRASTICALLY everything has changed since the pandemic. It is a completely different landscape than the one your "buddy's kid" navigated. Until you understand that, you'll keep believing that what worked 20 years ago still stands today.

It doesn't.

What a ludicrous suggestion. So you are, in fact, a communist?

She should watch Dr. Zhivago. She'd change her mind real fast when they came for her wealth, home, and imprisoned her for having a mind of her own.

Be responsible, but also stop doing the one thing that is most likely to improve your financial situation and job opportunities. Lmao.
That's a lie. Going to college is NOT the most likely way to improve your financial status. If that was the case, liberals wouldn't be begging for Biden to pay off their debts and Biden wouldn't be trying to buy votes by paying it. That alone proves you wrong. College is a debt trap for most people.

It's also dishonest in how they compare earnings of having a degree vs not having a degree. The "those without" category are full of a wide range of people. If someone is a diligent worker, works towards a skill, they can easily out earn the majority of those with degrees, and not have the debt to hold them down. The reality is, there are tons of degrees that don't translate into making money (e.g. humanities).

That's a lie. Going to college is NOT the most likely way to improve your financial status. If that was the case, liberals wouldn't be begging for Biden to pay off their debts and Biden wouldn't be trying to buy votes by paying it. That alone proves you wrong. College is a debt trap for most people.

It's also dishonest in how they compare earnings of having a degree vs not having a degree. The "those without" category are full of a wide range of people. If someone is a diligent worker, works towards a skill, they can easily out earn the majority of those with degrees, and not have the debt to hold them down. The reality is, there are tons of degrees that don't translate into making money (e.g. humanities).
False.

Read job ads for anything making over 60k a year. Unless you're capable of manual labor (construction, road work, etc.) there is nothing available without a degree of some sort. Try making 30 bucks an hour on a High School diploma.

The average cost of living for the Seattle area where I live is:

A new data analysis released Wednesday found that a Washington renter needs to earn $30.33 an hour to afford the typical one-bedroom apartment in the state without spending more than 30% of their income on housing costs, a standard measure of affordability. In the Seattle and Bellevue area, a renter would need to make even more: $40.38, or $84,000 a year. https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...o-earn-twice-the-minimum-wage-to-afford-rent/

My children are not for commentary--thank you very much. There is nothing "societal" about involving them.
I wasn't talking about them I was responding to this part:

There are millions upon millions of Americans who will inherit nothing, and in fact, will be financially burdened by their parents

False.

Read job ads for anything making over 60k a year. Unless you're capable of manual labor (construction, road work, etc.) there is nothing available without a degree of some sort. Try making 30 bucks an hour on a High School diploma.
The average cost of living for the Seattle area where I live is:

A new data analysis released Wednesday found that a Washington renter needs to earn $30.33 an hour to afford the typical one-bedroom apartment in the state without spending more than 30% of their income on housing costs, a standard measure of affordability. In the Seattle and Bellevue area, a renter would need to make even more: $40.38, or $84,000 a year. https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...o-earn-twice-the-minimum-wage-to-afford-rent/
Get a roommate. Don't live in a city. Join the military. Learn a skill.

It's insane that ANY state would have a shortage of 84,000 homes for the people that live there.
What's insane is that the feds own 85% of the state, and just about all the private land is developed. Sparks mayor Lawson claims the private land available in the city will be gone by 2027. Western states with high percentages of federal land don't get much attention in Washington, and that is Lombardo's complaint. The state's congressional delegation fully supports the land bills, Democrats and Republicans, and I'd like Biden to speed things up. Biden's speech in Vegas last week did not address land issues.

States compete for business and residents. States with abundant private land have an unfair advantage over states with high levels of federal land.

I'm a woman who had 3 children. Different story.
A lot of personal choices went into that, especially considering that it seems you also have zero family support and zero friend support, by your own words.
No--the roommate I trusted to keep her lease broke it and left for another state. That's what made me homeless. I couldn't find another and I couldn't pay the rent alone. I didn't want an eviction on my record, so I had to leave as well--because it's illegal to stay in a rental property without paying rent.
Yes, and then you never got a roommate again because of your one experience.
If there's no one to lean on (as in my case) then you make do the best you can--and sometimes it's better to be homeless than a criminal.

And college is necessary today if you want to pay rent. There is no longer affordable housing.
That's simply a lie you've been told. Now you're going into debt.
If you research the housing crisis in the United States, you might have a better idea about how DRASTICALLY everything has changed since the pandemic. It is a completely different landscape than the one your "buddy's kid" navigated. Until you understand that, you'll keep believing that what worked 20 years ago still stands today.

It doesn't.
What? My buddy's kid is like 24 or something. He's doing it now a train conductor and will become a train engineer, that makes between $83K-$151K on average in his area. No debt...tons in saving...no degree.

What's insane is that the feds own 85% of the state, and just about all the private land is developed. Sparks mayor Lawson claims the private land available in the city will be gone by 2027. Western states with high percentages of federal land don't get much attention in Washington, and that is Lombardo's complaint. The state's congressional delegation fully supports the land bills, Democrats and Republicans, and I'd like Biden to speed things up. Biden's speech in Vegas last week did not address land issues.

States compete for business and residents. States with abundant private land have an unfair advantage over states with high levels of federal land.
Yes, I hadn't heard of this before either. Sounds like it definitely needs to be elevated for more rigorous debate. I would like to know the reason they are federal lands for what purpose are they serving the United States citizens of any state that may find it vital to expand. That's a question I think that would deserve a thorough answer.

Or I'm completely off base in what I read into your post. As I said, this is news to me and I wish it wasn't. :)

A lot of personal choices went into that, especially considering that it seems you also have zero family support and zero friend support, by your own words.
I have buried a lot of people I loved dearly. That happens when you reach your 50s.
Yes, and then you never got a roommate again because of your one experience.
I didn't say that. I said I would never room with a stranger again. Big difference.
That's simply a lie you've been told. Now you're going into debt.

What? My buddy's kid is like 24 or something. He's doing it now a train conductor and will become a train engineer, that makes between $83K-$151K on average in his area. No debt...tons in saving...no degree.
Good for him! I'm glad he's not gonna get pregnant :) Women have a different life in the United States than men do, but thankfully, that seems to be changing before my eyes. I'm so glad that my daughter didn't live in a time where a girl was threatened to be set on fire by her mother--if she dated a black man. Interesting the changes that have happened in my lifetime and I'm really not that old, considering how much longer we live.

Back
Top Bottom