• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where are you from?[W:93]

Where in the World are you from?

• USA

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • UK

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Canada, Australia, NZ

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • West Europe

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • East Europe

• Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • China

• India

• Middle East, West Africa, Pakistan

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Africa

• Total voters
Re: Where are you from?

I love the west side of Crater Lake.

Tons upon tons of deer and elk there.

Beautiful rich thick rainforest.

Crater Lake is heaven on Earth. It was a stop on the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) when I did it. One of the things that drew me back to settle in Oregon after I completed the trail.

I'm getting my motorcycle license. I can't wait to take a long trip. I love being alone with my thoughts, which will be perfect for riding and nobody around to talk to.

Aha, another bug eater! My brother is the same way.

Did you drive all the way up to Alaska? I would love to do that sometime. Alaska is another of those places that seems magical in my mind. Immense natural beauty, and still so rugged.

Fall season after the black flies die off.

I'm guessing South America and the rest of Asia other than China and India are not part of the world in your view.

My own thoughts on this poll was that anyone who does not divide the USA into its components does not really understand the USA.

- New England
- Midwest
- Mid Atlantic
- Southern
- Southwest
- Intermountain
- Northwest
- California
- Florida
- Texas
- New York.

:)

Aha, another bug eater! My brother is the same way.

It feels like flying, and is so peaceful. As long as there isn't any crazy traffic. Out of town, rolling around in the country it is so liberating and exhilarating. Just as I imagine it would be like to fly.

I apologize.

I am Jewish from originally Russia -- now from USA.

Then you are FROM Russia and IN the USA.

The first Russians IN the USA that I ever met were in San Francisco.

Times were tough in Russia so they came here.

If your English is good then you can do that. It takes really smart people to be bilingual like that.

There are quite a lot of Russians in the USA. All the ones that I have met are really nice people and glad to be here.

The USA also has a strong Jewish population and hence the politics tend to be pro-Israel as a result.

The vast majority of people here are from USA.

Yup born and bred.

My dad immigrated with his mom and dad and sister in the 1920's after The Great War. They moved to Chicago.

My dad then married my mom out of Germany after WW2. War brides were the fashion back then.

I was born in Florida while they were there on vacation from Chicago.

They stayed in Florida for the next 5 years.

I remember carrying a big stick wherever I went in Gainesville to fight off alligators with.

Why on earth did you put Australia with Canada? America and Canada go together.

I am Australian for several generations (English, Irish, German also I believe, background). I was born in South Australia, the only state in Australia that was settled by free settlers and had no convicts. My father was born in New South Wales and my grandmother in Tasmania, so, who knows, may be a sprinkling of convict ancestry somewhere. I left South Australia when I was 17 and have lived in New South Wales (currently on the South Coast) for about 45 years.

Yup born and bred.

My dad immigrated with his mom and dad and sister in the 1920's after The Great War. They moved to Chicago.

My dad then married my mom out of Germany after WW2. War brides were the fashion back then.

I was born in Florida while they were there on vacation from Chicago.

They stayed in Florida for the next 5 years.

I remember carrying a big stick wherever I went in Gainesville to fight off alligators with.

Wow, how did your dad meet your mom in Germany? Was he stationed in her village or something like that after the fighting was done? Sorry, probably shouldn't ask that in this thread. Never mind. I'll just say that is a very neat story.

I'm getting my motorcycle license. I can't wait to take a long trip. I love being alone with my thoughts, which will be perfect for riding and nobody around to talk to.

Riding a motorcycle on a long trip is like riding a horse. It is an iron horse however.

A small backpack tent, ground tarp, air mattress, sleeping bag, pillow case, trail snacks, etc. all make the open road an Odyssey.

Camping beside a stream is the best thing because then you have all the water you want for drinking or washing.

Plus the gurgling brook lulls you to sleep at night.

I was born in Ohio, moved to Atlanta Georgia when I was two years old.

I moved to Indianapolis for 1 year in high school because of my fathers job.... but we moved back to Atlanta after he lost his job there.

I've been all over the Caribbean/Gulf of Mexico many times, been to 39 states, and I've been to Ireland.

Riding a motorcycle on a long trip is like riding a horse. It is an iron horse however.

A small backpack tent, ground tarp, air mattress, sleeping bag, pillow case, trail snacks, etc. all make the open road an Odyssey.

Camping beside a stream is the best thing because then you have all the water you want for drinking or washing.

Plus the gurgling brook lulls you to sleep at night.

Yep, I already know some hardcore riders and have all my stuff. All of it except the bike, which will be a key component to any traveling, obviously. I do things backwards, sometimes, but I always get to where I want to be. It just takes a while....

Wow, how did your dad meet your mom in Germany? Was he stationed in her village or something like that after the fighting was done? Sorry, probably shouldn't ask that in this thread. Never mind. I'll just say that is a very neat story.

My dad was the American officer in charge of her little town after the war was over.

She was the prettiest girl in the town.

My sisters are very beautiful too now.

Americans were in fashion for German, French and English girls back in those days because they/we tended to be taller and stronger.

Something about the American melting pot makes Americans bigger than Europeans by and large.

Plus Adolf had just gone through this litany of propaganda explaining how the Germans were the superior race but then along came Ike and Patton and proved him wrong.

So in those days Americans, after WW2 similar to after WW1, were like gods.

The best way to visualize it now is to compare NFL football with European soccer. Same difference.

Last edited:

Yep, I already know some hardcore riders and have all my stuff. All of it except the bike, which will be a key component to any traveling, obviously. I do things backwards, sometimes, but I always get to where I want to be. It just takes a while....

Yamaha is making the best motorcycles right now at this minute.

Harleys and BMW's are right now at this moment the worst.

My personal preference is the Triumph Trident.

I'm guessing South America and the rest of Asia other than China and India are not part of the world in your view.

He also forgot Eurasia :mrgreen:

and dont forget his categorizing commonwealth!

Turkey is lately a rather quiet nation and regional superpower -- quiet since the end of WW1.

I would love to go visit Istanbul and ancient Troy. Also Ephesus.

Is Turkey considered Middle East?

In any case one of the reasons this board has a strong Libertarian sentiment is geography -- USA.

Born in LA, raised on Humboldt Bay in Eureka, CA. Full Irish on all sides, by way of Minnesota, Iowa and Idaho. When I grew up there, Eureka was a picturesque little place, almost like the little town in "Racing with the Moon." There was about 25,000 people there, two single lanes total and six hours to San Francisco. The main industries were commercial fishing and logging, the Boat Basin was filled with big, old wooden fishing boats with the classic, beautiful lines of commercial boats built in the 30s and 40s.

Guys I went to high school with used to follow their fathers into commercial salmon fishing. On the smaller boats, some guys would go out on those boats alone for two weeks at a time, sometimes longer. Both the logging and fishing has been busted for years. Near Eureka was one of the last whaling stations in the United States, which shut down a long time ago. My dad took me in there one time, it smelled read bad. Lots of tourism now because the area is filled with huge Redwood Trees and parks and beautiful old Victorian homes built during the early glory days of logging.

I was amazed at how many guys I went to high school with that stayed right there in Eureka, married their high school sweethearts and are still there. I left right after high school because of the rain and fog. At that time, the temperature year round never got over 65, the ocean was always too rough and too cold, with a very dangerous undertow that made it unsafe for swimming. I went whole summers and never saw the sun because of the fog. Many nights (this was a few years ago) you'd go to bed and hear the foghorns all night long. Like other guys at that time, I joined the Army, saw a lot of the world throughout my life. Now I wonder sometimes if the smartest guys were those who stayed right there in Eureka and raised their families right there in that little town without ever moving anywhere.. I don't know.

Last edited:

Turkey & Russia.

They are both border nations of Europe and Asia so our scholars give both that name.

Thanks. Originally EurAsia meant the whole of Europe and Asia.

Back
Top Bottom