• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US jets intercepted Russian bombers off the California and Alaska coasts on July 4

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]US jets intercepted Russian bombers off the California and Alaska coasts on July 4[/h]
On Saturday, two pairs of Russian Tupolev Tu-95 bombers approached the US West Coast, causing the Air Force to scramble to intercept the planes before they breached US airspace, two senior defense officials told Fox News.

and it seems this is not the first time:

Throughout 2014, the European Leadership Network estimated that Russia and the West had up to 40 military encounters. Among these, three were designated as high-risk incidents that could have led to casualties or a military confrontation.
In April, Adm. Bill Gortney, the general at the head of Norad, told reporters that Russia was using its long-range bomber fleet to "message" the US about Moscow's international military capabilities.
"They are messaging us. They are messaging us that they are a global power," Gortney said, noting that the US did "the same sort of thing" to Russia in Europe.

Looks like a new cold war starting.

Re: US jets intercepted Russian bombers off the California and Alaska coasts on July

[h=1]US jets intercepted Russian bombers off the California and Alaska coasts on July 4[/h]

Oh no. This is not a Cold War. It is a far more complicated game we are playing now. This is the early preamble to war in this century, if we all do not get our act together and make international security a publicly produced good. We are on the verge of Heaven's Gates with nukes.

Re: US jets intercepted Russian bombers off the California and Alaska coasts on July

Oh no. This is not a Cold War. It is a far more complicated game we are playing now. This is the early preamble to war in this century, if we all do not get our act together and make international security a publicly produced good. We are on the verge of Heaven's Gates with nukes.

Or this could be just language exchanged in military style.

US jets intercepted Russian bombers off the California and Alaska coasts on July 4

Yup. That was the first thing that came to my mind. Guess we'll see how this further unfolds, but yeah, seems the Russians are up to their old tricks and tactics again. Hope we have the military to stomach it, and stave it off before it become more serious.

Or this could be just language exchanged in military style.

As was the mobilization of July 1914.

Mobilization to that degree is missing, and now we know better.

This is no were near the 1914 mobilization of the European powers.

Maybe, maybe not. This seems to me like the political-military version of trolling than anything else. The aircraft were 50s-era prop-driven Tu-95 Bear bombers whose crews would have been toast had the F-15s and F-22s actually decided to engage them. This is either trolling or a really sad attempt at a dick-measuring contest.

There is reason for some level of concern, but this has been going on for years now. I don't suppose we hear about every time the Russians intercept US plains on their coasts and borders.

yup, we breached Soviet airspace all the time during the cold war, to the point where the commies downed a civilian airliner to make the point they were serious about their airspace.

lets not forget the massive national embaressment when a highly advanced CIA aircraft that was suposed to fly too high for soviet defences was shot down, oops.

I'm not too worried anyway, the TU-95 is a dinosaur, they were simply flying close to our border to rattle our chain, those big lumbering relics of an era when Richard Boone played a western mercernary on TV won't be sneaking up on anyone. the russians have far stealthier and more advanced aircraft to use if they seriously planned an attack.

prop-driven planes flying in a straight line? we were supposed to see them.

The airspace above the oceans are largely uncontrolled. You can fly around all you want in that airspace. It sounds as though they stayed out of our airspace. It also sounds like a typical training mission, navigating over open water. I wouldn't read to much into it. I would, be mindful of the message it sends: "We can fly into your airspace if needed."

Nothing new here but I suspect that many are not noticing Russian aggression. My son in the Air Force is currently in Romania, sent there to counter recent Russian aggression. The Baltics are becoming increasingly concerned about Russian activities and the US has supplied equipment to them and sent more troops to the area. Romney was right when he expressed concern about Russian activities while Obama joked "The 1980s called-they want their foreign policy back". He clearly does not understand.

Maybe, maybe not. This seems to me like the political-military version of trolling than anything else. The aircraft were 50s-era prop-driven Tu-95 Bear bombers whose crews would have been toast had the F-15s and F-22s actually decided to engage them. This is either trolling or a really sad attempt at a dick-measuring contest.

Russia has been pulling this stuff since the Cold war. It is nothing new.

you posted it before i finished my post, these planes are big, slow, lumbering, flying at high altitude, etc we saw them many miles before they got to the international airspace off of the Calif Coast.

you posted it before i finished my post, these planes are big, slow, lumbering, flying at high altitude, etc we saw them many miles before they got to the international airspace off of the Calif Coast.

Any Russian bomber of any type would have shown up on NORAD's radars well before they even got close to the West Coast.

Nothing new here but I suspect that many are not noticing Russian aggression. My son in the Air Force is currently in Romania, sent there to counter recent Russian aggression. The Baltics are becoming increasingly concerned about Russian activities and the US has supplied equipment to them and sent more troops to the area. Romney was right when he expressed concern about Russian activities while Obama joked "The 1980s called-they want their foreign policy back". He clearly does not understand.

There should be concern about Russia aggression but at the time we shouldn't act like this is anything new.

You claim Obama doesn't understand the Russians' actions while in the same post admitting that the United States has supplied the Baltic states with equipment and our own troops. You do see the disconnect here don't you? I think everyone is well aware of the concerns about Russia given what happened in the Ukraine and Crimea.

I'm going to go with the dick measuring contest explanation.

And such contests are all well and good until someone flies off the handle and starts a fight over it.

I'm going to go with the dick measuring contest explanation.

And such contests are all well and good until someone flies off the handle and starts a fight over it.

Yes which is why I imagine our pilots are trained to exercise professionalism and discipline in situations like these.

You claim Obama doesn't understand the Russians' actions while in the same post admitting that the United States has supplied the Baltic states with equipment and our own troops. You do see the disconnect here don't you? I think everyone is well aware of the concerns about Russia given what happened in the Ukraine and Crimea.
Good point. I should have said that he did not understand the issue. Past tense. But it would help if he was more honest and knowledgeable during the 2012 debates. Perhaps the American public would be more knowledgeable.

Yes which is why I imagine our pilots are trained to exercise professionalism and discipline in situations like these.

Let's hope that the training took, and that the other guys engaged in measuring of genitalia also have been trained the same way.

Mobilization to that degree is missing, and now we know better.

It is not a question of knowing, education or will. It is the game that is defining itself. It is competitive, multipolar structure. Its optimum solution is open conflict. If we do not change the structure, we get war.

Good point. I should have said that he did not understand the issue. Past tense. But it would help if he was more honest and knowledgeable during the 2012 debates. Perhaps the American public would be more knowledgeable.

At least the small minority who actually listened to the debates rather than taking at face value the reports from their choice of left or right wing reporters spinning things their way.

This is no were near the 1914 mobilization of the European powers.

It is worse. We all have better weapons.

Back
Top Bottom