• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The last great adventure (1 Viewer)

One thing, despite of the long planning and preparations, was what it would do to me.
In the last 2 weeks my tank was just empty, mentally exhausted.
Luckily I ad from my military training, some knowledge about that and how to notice it, what to do and how to deal with it.
I just had never thought about it, was unprepared. It just hit me like a hammer.
So I went into survival mode, as trained, so many years ago.
Mental survival.
2 weeks were left, any failure not to be accepted, concentrate on the only task, April 22 , nothing else.
We left on the 21th.
My mini van loaded with the dog crates, luggage and so on, plus my 2 dogs. My dear friends Jim and Jaky followed in their car.
First leg was Castle Rock, just 7 hours.
We stayed over night.
The dogs were confused. Would not pee or take a dump. Yella did pee on the morning of 22. But Bus no way, he was hyperventilating so bad that I gave him a quarter of those sleeping pills. It helped, but no pee.
My flight was 5.15 pm, with checking starting at 2pm.
We left the Motel around 12 and then waited at the short term parking lot. Put the kennels together and waited.
I had some sleeping pills for the dogs. Till they work, 45 min and then they last 12 hours and a bit. So I gave them their pills at 1pm and the we waited again.
Both my friends are like family to me and the waiting really chewed on us.
And then we were on the go, up the elevator, down the elevator and so on.
It took an hour for my check in, because of my dogs. I have to say Lufthansa checked everything. Very concerned about the well being of my dogs.
Super good, I liked it. Then I had to haul the dogs to the security check. It was time to say good by to my brother and sister. That was tough, too.
Could not speak, just hug, turn and haul my dogs of to security.
I was just numb

One thing, despite of the long planning and preparations, was what it would do to me.
In the last 2 weeks my tank was just empty, mentally exhausted.
Luckily I ad from my military training, some knowledge about that and how to notice it, what to do and how to deal with it.
I just had never thought about it, was unprepared. It just hit me like a hammer.
So I went into survival mode, as trained, so many years ago.
Mental survival.
2 weeks were left, any failure not to be accepted, concentrate on the only task, April 22 , nothing else.
We left on the 21th.
My mini van loaded with the dog crates, luggage and so on, plus my 2 dogs. My dear friends Jim and Jaky followed in their car.
First leg was Castle Rock, just 7 hours.
We stayed over night.
The dogs were confused. Would not pee or take a dump. Yella did pee on the morning of 22. But Bus no way, he was hyperventilating so bad that I gave him a quarter of those sleeping pills. It helped, but no pee.
My flight was 5.15 pm, with checking starting at 2pm.
We left the Motel around 12 and then waited at the short term parking lot. Put the kennels together and waited.
I had some sleeping pills for the dogs. Till they work, 45 min and then they last 12 hours and a bit. So I gave them their pills at 1pm and the we waited again.
Both my friends are like family to me and the waiting really chewed on us.
And then we were on the go, up the elevator, down the elevator and so on.
It took an hour for my check in, because of my dogs. I have to say Lufthansa checked everything. Very concerned about the well being of my dogs.
Super good, I liked it. Then I had to haul the dogs to the security check. It was time to say good by to my brother and sister. That was tough, too.
Could not speak, just hug, turn and haul my dogs of to security.
I was just numb
What was your total cost above and beyond what it would have cost if you hadn't taken the animals?

Frankfurt
I got my luggage with in 45 minutes and than the huge ugly comes storming at me, my brother.
Nearly kills me with his hug.
Forgot how ugly he is.
He is all over himself and I am just in the mode. He gets it and cools down.
Then we wait.
45 mins the luggage comes in.
But my dogs, it took 1 hour and then they arrived.
I took them out of the crates and it was a love festival.
Me on the ground and the dogs al over me.
Then we walked to the customs. Animals have to be declared, health papers. Green no declaration, red declaration.
Red was closed and Bus took a piss. 2 Days worth, 1 gallon, rather solid, I would say.
So we walked to green and just walked out, just like that

Prost.

I had never calculated how traumatic this would be.
How could I.
It took me some time to understand, its like a old tree getting pulled out of the ground with its roots and dumped on the ground.
I lost my people, my family since decades, my home I built, homesteaded. Yes it already had hit me in the last weeks. But then in my new home it hit hard, very hard.
My brother and his wife tried to understand, but how could they.
Luckily I am a forward looking person and went straight ahead and tore into my new place. My dogs gave me strength, the experience gave us a new bond.
Last Wednesday my first container arrived and now I have things I am used to and love. My art collection. First thing I did hung some of them, just to make the place look like my home.
The whole place needs to be renovated from top to bottom, which will take 2024 and longer.
The only rooms that are ok, are the kitchen and the bathroom. They are actually nice.
The rest of the house is livable, but needs some serious work.
I live in the ground Flore, bathroom, kitchen and a combination of dining and living room, with basic furniture, bed table, chair and now with a drawer chest, which arrived on Wednesday, first container.
It is all very basic. But that is ok with, I knew it would be like that for many weeks to come, living on a construction side.
I have a very nice garden, 2 acres, which had been neglected for many years and while I wait for carpenders and painter and plumbers, I have something to tear into and make it mine. The garden was run over by those sad evergreens, which never show change, cemetery plants. I cut them down, removed the roots and planted useful plants, apel, pears, cherries, plants of live, got tomatoes and peppers going, seed pots on the window sills in the house.
I bought a vehicle. I am using my brothers very old car at the present, a Opel. Its very much ok, turn the key and its starts, perfect.
2 weeks ago there was the farm auction, equipment and all the stuff I could not take. It turned out rather good and I am pleased with the result.

I have a contract for the farm, faster then I thought it would be possible. End of June for closing. Things are moving along.

Planting those trees, was a symbol for me, putting roots into the ground, my roots for years to come and to grow. Growing roots is a long process. I was well received by my neighbors, but I am not ready for them, till I can leave this shell, which protects myself, for now.

It is not easy, but I knew that.
But Iam rather pleased with what I have been able to do for now and the feeling that this will work. Not just feeling, I know this will work.
But I will have to make a serious effort for it.
I like that challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom