• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

The last great adventure

Schrott

DP Veteran
Reaction score
I guess its a good time to start this thread.

I retired on 1 of Feb 2023. That was a great day for me. Sold my company and got out of the relentless rat race of 50 years. I sleep well again, do not wake up because of being all cramped up and in pain. Eat well again, even broke my 40 cigs a day chain smoking.
But now the biggest of the changes starts. That one will be a adventure and some serious work as I found out already, because I am moving to a far, far away country, with 3 dogs and 2 pigs.

I have a Farm, which I homesteaded, cleared the Oakbrush, plowed the fields, seeded pasture, over 40 acres. Years of very hard work, physical work. Built my house and the huge barn, all by myself, with 1 or 2 employees. Gave my heart blood for this place. Thought I would keel over here and get my hole.
Looks like it will not happen.
But no, do not feel sorry, this is not about feel sorry, but about a adventure and they are great, lots of fun, with the ocasional shitty moments.

I went into hibernation after the Feb 1. Was easy with 15 feet of snow. But it was so good. Nobody called, do this or that, we have this or that problem. All I had to care about was my fridge, enough food and Bier and my dogs and pigs and push snow around.
But at 1 point I had to return to reality.
First I had to find a place in a country far, far away, for me and my dogs and my pigs.
Spent hours on the internet. I want to live close to my best friend, my brother. So after month search I found a place.
My best friend spent many hours on his BMW, cruising around and tell me, that one is crap, he loves his BMW. One day we found this place, we is bro and his wife and me.
Price just stunning low and perfect for my dogs and pigs, to good to be true. So the BMW got its work out again and Rocker Bro checked it out.
Perfect.
So I asked him to get civilized and drag his wife in the car to the place. She said perfect, but that this and that, little nitty stuff only girls see which are for a boy and 3 dogs and 2 pigs no problem.

I guess its a good time to start this thread.

I retired on 1 of Feb 2023. That was a great day for me. Sold my company and got out of the relentless rat race of 50 years. I sleep well again, do not wake up because of being all cramped up and in pain. Eat well again, even broke my 40 cigs a day chain smoking.
But now the biggest of the changes starts. That one will be a adventure and some serious work as I found out already, because I am moving to a far, far away country, with 3 dogs and 2 pigs.

I have a Farm, which I homesteaded, cleared the Oakbrush, plowed the fields, seeded pasture, over 40 acres. Years of very hard work, physical work. Built my house and the huge barn, all by myself, with 1 or 2 employees. Gave my heart blood for this place. Thought I would keel over here and get my hole.
Looks like it will not happen.
But no, do not feel sorry, this is not about feel sorry, but about a adventure and they are great, lots of fun, with the ocasional shitty moments.

I went into hibernation after the Feb 1. Was easy with 15 feet of snow. But it was so good. Nobody called, do this or that, we have this or that problem. All I had to care about was my fridge, enough food and Bier and my dogs and pigs and push snow around.
But at 1 point I had to return to reality.
First I had to find a place in a country far, far away, for me and my dogs and my pigs.
Spent hours on the internet. I want to live close to my best friend, my brother. So after month search I found a place.
My best friend spent many hours on his BMW, cruising around and tell me, that one is crap, he loves his BMW. One day we found this place, we is bro and his wife and me.
Price just stunning low and perfect for my dogs and pigs, to good to be true. So the BMW got its work out again and Rocker Bro checked it out.
Perfect.
So I asked him to get civilized and drag his wife in the car to the place. She said perfect, but that this and that, little nitty stuff only girls see which are for a boy and 3 dogs and 2 pigs no problem.
Congratulations!

Keep us posted (if you have internet access).

Which country? (far, far away)

So I bought the house and property. Got my bank confused, because they had to send a nice bundle of money to a country, far, far away.
But than this far, far away country is known for its beaucracy, it works extremely well but those mills turn slowly.
But they always turn.
By now it was end of July, which meant that the mills will finally quit turning end of October, which they did, which meant closing in US terms.
Give me the keys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That created for me a problem. To late in the year. Cannot leave the farm in winter. Last year we had 15 feet of snow, -25F. Somebody has to take care of the farm, shovel snow of the roofs and heat the place and so on, during the winter.
But that is actually rather good. The place in the far, far away country has NG central heating, no worry there. Bro checks it out once a week.

But now I have time to pack and organize the move to the far, far away country.
That is a task.
35 years have to be packed away, for a journey that will last 2 month.
What do I take, what do I sell.
What do I need, when me and my 3 dogs and 2 pigs get there.

Its a bit surrealistic for me. Besides some pictures I have never seen our new home in the far, far away country.
But then I am the type of person who can make any place his home, as long as I have my Bier.

This is now the not a to good part.
I have to pack.
Pack my live of 35 years in the house I built with my own hands.
One by one the house empties, box by box.
Suddenly the walls are empty.
Looks strange, reminds me how I started.
Rather weird.

Do I need all those old pictures, in that box, which I have not looked at for 2 decades, nope. Looked at them, for one last time and of they go, can use the box for stuff I like to keep.
I live for the future and not the past. Phots that 1 year or 50 years old, give me a break, junk.

That is not a problem, the past is the past and we live today and have to look forward to tomorrow.

I speny all day taking things of the walls, pack them and then looked around and made me wonder.
Not sad, but it is strange.

Congratulations - and good for you! Hope your retirement treats you very well. Best!

There is a story of lure, The man who travelled to understand fear. it is about people who went abroad and the challenges. The great immigrations.
All over the world.
Even that I am a late comer, I am to do it twice, now, so to speak.

The animals are difficult.
My dogs are farm dogs, they live free. No leach, do what you want, hope on the truck if I get in it, fine, if not fine.
So now they have to be trained, because they have to travel to a country far, far away.
They need to be civilized.
So I have been running around the farm with my dogs on a leash.
Rather silly, but its needed.
That took some time, but worked out well
Next the pigs.
Pigs are the second smartest animal, behind Dolphins.
But they have to learn, which they do rather good to be transported on the road, 1000 miles and then the trip to far, far away.

I had to get a container for them, they go by airfreight. They had learn to get into that container and then go for Bier or what ever, till that container became their second home.
And so, and so on.

Do I need all those old pictures, in that box, which I have not looked at for 2 decades, nope. Looked at them, for one last time and of they go, can use the box for stuff I like to keep.
I live for the future and not the past. Phots that 1 year or 50 years old, give me a break, junk.
I gave up keeping photos 30 years ago, but now wish I had held on to some of them. The great thing about today is that you can take electronic images of all of your photos in no time, and you'll always have a copy on your computer, or tablet, or smart phone, taking no room at all.

The animals are difficult.
My dogs are farm dogs, they live free. No leach, do what you want, hope on the truck if I get in it, fine, if not fine.
So now they have to be trained, because they have to travel to a country far, far away.
They need to be civilized.
So I have been running around the farm with my dogs on a leash.
Rather silly, but its needed.
That took some time, but worked out well
Next the pigs.
Pigs are the second smartest animal, behind Dolphins.
But they have to learn, which they do rather good to be transported on the road, 1000 miles and then the trip to far, far away.

I had to get a container for them, they go by airfreight. They had learn to get into that container and then go for Bier or what ever, till that container became their second home.
And so, and so on.
Preparing the dogs and the pigs for what lies ahead must be difficult. But it shows you want - and are doing - what's best for them.

Good luck.

I gave up keeping photos 30 years ago, but now wish I had held on to some of them. The great thing about today is that you can take electronic images of all of your photos in no time, and you'll always have a copy on your computer, or tablet, or smart phone, taking no room at all.
That would be a possibility. But then, will I ever look at them?
Probably not.
And I want a clean breake. I did the same thing with my company, handed over the keys and walked away.
When I came to the US 40 years ago, I had done the same, sold everything and left. 5 years later I went "home" and visited.

Preparing the dogs and the pigs for what lies ahead must be difficult. But it shows you want - and are doing - what's best for them.

Good luck.
Training the animals is actually not so bad. But one has to spent the time, every day. Then there are vaccination dead lines and 1/2 mile of paper work.
Had to find out if I could bring my pigs from the US and the State of Colorado.
They are considered live stock, different rules.
Who would ship them and from where.
How to organize the arrival and so on.

That would be a possibility. But then, will I ever look at them?
Probably not.
And I want a clean breake. I did the same thing with my company, handed over the keys and walked away.
When I came to the US 40 years ago, I had done the same, sold everything and left. 5 years later I went "home" and visited.
I never thought I'd care to look at them either - but live alone now and I miss my dog. He's been gone for 20+ years, but it would still be nice to see his face. Also, my ex died earlier this year, and my memory of her has similarly faded. Seeing an old picture would be nice.

I never thought I'd care to look at them either - but live alone now and I miss my dog. He's been gone for 20+ years, but it would still be nice to see his face. Also, my ex died earlier this year, and my memory of her has similarly faded. Seeing an old picture would be nice.

I can very much understand that.
I have had many pets and working dogs, my best friends and live partners. But I always made sure, that if 1 dies, somebody would get a chance, in his/her memory to live in animal paradies.
Sometimes I think word must have gotten out, because they show up at the farm.
Since I am a sucker, they have found a home.

Ring, Ring " Yes"
I have something for
What is it
2 miniature pigs
I do not want pigs
Just shut up and get down here.
I did as ordered and drove to the shelter and left with 2 KuneKune pigs in my mini van.

Sucker.

One thing I totally underestimated was cleaning up the farm.
Every farm needs its junk yard. We do not throw things away, till we have the last bolt or part. We park it.
You never know what you need and what you might be able to built out of it
Packrats.
I have spent over a month, with cutting torch and band saw and what ever tool, hoists, front load to clean up.
Additional I had 20 machines from my business, rebuilt or as spare parts, the new owners did not want.
All of that had to go.
Copper fittings, brass fittings, you name it. All the spare parts.
Nobody wanted them, even for free.
Strange world.
This throw away society drives me nuts.

So I sorted, 305 stainless, copper, brass, alu 5 tons and hauled it of to the recycler.
Lots of work and time, but then I am retarded.
There is real money in it, by now several thousand of dollars.
Just old fashion steel was now around 8 tons, I am nearly done now.
This is a nice side show

My brother calls me an odd ball, which I am. I turn every penny around 5 times, before I spent it. Thrifty is a understatement.

So now I have this " windfall " from the junk. Its cash.
What do I do, typical me, I check prices in the far, far away country, what my jeans and jeans shirt costs, 4 times what I pay at Wally.
No brainer, I bought Jeans and shirts, with some of that money. Wash them once wear them once and wash them again and they are used and custom free.
I have changed every day my shirt and jeans, for a month, feel like one of those city folks.
The idea came from my brother, never thought about it. I was thinking wild women and booze with that money, LOL.
Tools.
I like to built things, metal or wood, its my past time. But the 120V does not cut it in far, far away. This is heart breaking, because if I buy a tool, its top of the line.
Not CNC, I am a ruler guy.
But then the battery crap. What cost here 200 and some is 400 or 500 over there. all you need is a $40 charger. No brainer.

Last week my brother and I talked, via whatsapp, and he told that I could use any of his access tools.
I just laughed. I know his tools. I am spoilt, when it comes to tools, seriously spoiled.

I told him, let me settle in and then we go on a shopping trip and buy some real tools.

I think I have 3 tons left to haul of, tool money, got all the jeans and shirts for the rest of my live.
LOL

Oh well, when I think I got it all figured out, then suddenly I get a belly ache, or wake up at night and that thing in my head is in overdrive.
Its my animals. I had the gut feeling I had missed something.
Off to the world wide web and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I have 3 dogs, but no airline allows more then 2 dogs per ticket and then the next problemo. Our local airport is serviced by United and they do not allow any pets at all, only in cabin for small pets. United does not provide at the present any pet transport in the air conditioned cargo hold, no matter what plane or destination.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
My favored Airline provides a nonstop flight from Denver, but only 2 dogs, no matter what.

That will makes things a touch more complicated. Denver is 7 hours away by car and I need a shipper for 1 dog, which can fly that dog out of Denver the same day I fly. Its the pick up problem, because my brother has to pick me up and my dogs.
This is getting sporting.
The only shipper for my pigs is in Chicago, that is 1700 miles, 2 days by car. The last 2 weeks will be very interesting. I have some help, but still, that will be a lot of miles. By then the house and farm have to be empty. In Feb the moving container, it takes 8 weeks to ship it.
In Jan, when the Christmas rush is over, I will start to mail to my brother the essentials, clothing, from underwear to Jeans to shirts and socks and sweaters and so on. Little things, I have dentures, all the stuff I need for that, till I have time to find what I need in far far away.

My house looks sad, boxes and boxes, when ever the weather is crappy I pack.
Its sad, but then it needs to be done.

Soooooooooooooooo.

Got the dog problem solved.
It was a serious belly ache for me. I am one of those people who sit on problems for a long time and think them through. I do split decision rather good, but they are just reactions. If I had to invest 10s of thousands of Dollar into my company, I sat on that and let the idea develop, turn it over 100 times and then do it.
But then things need to be in place, especially all the timings, the way I want them.
2 dogs per ticket on any airline, but I have 3.
Now I had to find a shipper for my 3rd dog.
I wrote an e-mail to my pig shipper and got a company and a website. Petsfly.
Today I talked to one of the Ladies that run that outfit. Very nice and helpful.
Biggest problem, the timing. Dog #3 has to fly the same day as I do with the other 2, because of the pick up in far far away.
No problem she said, we will book your dog on the same flight and explained to me how the drop of would go and so on and so on.
One belly ache less.
Then she asked where I got the refence from and I told her my pig shipper. That guys ears must have burned of, melted. So now I know that I have to make the effort to get him to ship my pigs.
That felt very good today.
A little Christmas present.

Merry Christmas.

Big smiles, very big smiles.

Years ago, when I was young and stupid. I was in a village in Argentina at the 25 of December. My idea was to cross the Andes on foot by myself.
I had put my tent just outside of the village. I had walked to the village for 3 days from the last bus station.
The priest came and we talked.
When I told him what I was going to do, he threw a cross, muerto.
On the 25th he came and asked me to come to the church, so that the community could pray for me. The church was a stone building in bad repair, but they all came, it was Christmas, me too.
I am not a believer.

But what I saw there was just magic and has followed me since then.
They celebrated Christmas with the Missa Creollia. It was so unbelievable powerful. At the foot of the Andes, in a small village and a church that was falling apart, cold as it could be.
The priest knew I was not a believer, which was ok to him. In his opening sermon he asked for my support and that the Missa would be in my name and The Lords
I knew the Missa, because my father was of Argentine origine and it was our Christmas music.

It was just magic.

The next morning I had saddled up, loaded to the hilt for a 4 weeks walk into nowhere land.
The whole village turned out and the priest gave me the blessing, muerto he called me and that the Lord may take care of me.
I survived my juvenile stupidity, should not have, but when ever I reached the limit, I sat in that church and the Missa, that power and that I am not a muerto.

I celebrate that day by playing the Missa and the power which it gave me.
It took 6 weeks

Things are starting to come together.
In my business live I have learned to hire good professionals. They cost a lot, but it is the what you pay for what you get.
I learned to stay in my turf.
My agent in Chicago understood my problem. Chicago is a rather sporting 2 days from my place, 1800 miles. Los Angeles a easy 600 miles, which I have done many times with a trailer full of horses. Childs play.
He found me a shipper in LA for my pigs.
So now I am working that out.

The dogs are solved. But please never ask about the cost, its just insane.

Just my ticket, tourist, one way has doubled since Covid, from the 2 way ticket I had 5 years ago.

I will have to swallow a few time, price shock, over the next few month, but what is the alternative for my animals, which are my family, kill them or give them away.
No way, that will not happen. They are the anchor of my live.

I have a date 4/22/24

Oak, The Almighty Fighting Rat

We had gone through all the vet and medical requirements and all three turned out to be in top shape.

But then live is different, has its own agenda, does not care, it has its own clock.
Wednesday I fed the dogs, all happy and full of live. They went out to do their business, I did mine.
Then I went out to do my farm chores and there he was. Dead, the eyes without live tong hanging out. Just dropped in mid stride.
Like a light switch. No signs of a struggle.
If one thinks about it, the best way to go, just poof. No struggle no disease, the clock has run out, click.

For me, it hurt, very much, not just very much.
Oak had been my partner for 12 years, I was him and he was me. Its the way it goes with dogs.

It was a gray day, clouds and snow. I changed the front loader implement, attached the 12 inch auger and then drill through the frost, 4 feet deep.
Cleaned the whole, it was snowing. The other two dogs hand around me, attached. Watching.
I wraped the little guy in his blanked, gave him the coin and then lowered him in the hole, added food and water for the long journey ahead and then covered him, filled the grave and wished him a good voyage.

Bus and Yella were watching, while I did my ceremony, it was eerie, they knew. Have seen that before, many times.
They know when you have put down a tribe member or when one dies of natural cause.
When I started to fill the hole they came and sat beside me, they knew, we knew.

I ran out of tears many years ago, they are all used up.

But this moment were I was on my knees filling in the grave and the the boys sitting besides me, gray snowing day.
I will never forget that moment.

But hen I think Live has done Oak and me a favor. I had great doubts if he would survive the flight to Germany. He tended to get extremely stress out in any environment he was not used to.
I even had considered to have him put down, instead of him dyeing of the air transport stress. Which would probably would have happened, or maybe not, who knows.

This is to Oak, who is now crossing the river, to sit at Wotan's court.

And fart

Back
Top Bottom