• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should white people set up "Individual Reparations Accounts"?

Should white people set up "Individual Reparations Accounts"?

• Total voters
As long as it's voluntary like post 1 said, sure go ahead. Set up an account if you want, call it what you want, do with it what you want.

Black people can set up reparation accounts too if they want. Such as those who want to make amends for crimes they committed in the past or whatever.

I was explaining why reparations are irrational. My grandmother was killed by a drunk driver many years ago. Said driver has since passed away. Does it make sense for me to ask the driver's grandchildren to pay me and my siblings and cousins reparations for something that happened 20 years ago and had nothing to do with us?

That's an improper analogy, especially as that isn't the argument in the first place. The argument (whether or not you agree with it) is that since you (assuming you're white) grew up in a system that doesn't systematically make your life more difficult for your race, and that since being black does (especially considering the negative repercussions of being descended from people who were systematically deprived of their rights and identity as completely as possible), then black people should be restituted financially.

Now, I don't agree with that as a solution, but that is the argument. It isn't that you yourself are a slave owner or were descended from slave owners, but that you benefited from a system that saw you as "equal" from the moment of birth and that you benefitted from an economy that got its start with slave labor.

And again, and I can't state this emphatically enough, I don't agree that reparations are a workable solution.

Last edited:
Yes there was...by American Indians.

No there were not... unless you can show documents of human property ownership post 1865, that is. Good luck.

Do I agree? No.
But does he bring up a good point? Yes.
We can't expect the effects of centuries of enslavement and decades of mistreatment after being freed to go away. I hope the majority of you all would agree with this.
We need to do everything we can to help out those suffering and those who haven't had the generations of progress from ancestors like many whites have had. I can saw that I was born into a stable family that set me up for success later in life. Those living in inner-city neighborhoods cannot.
Should we feel guilty? No.
Are we to blame for this? Of course not.
But should we strive to make sure that everyone is given equal opportunity? Yes.

Do I agree? No.
But does he bring up a good point? Yes.
We can't expect the effects of centuries of enslavement and decades of mistreatment after being freed to go away. I hope the majority of you all would agree with this.
We need to do everything we can to help out those suffering and those who haven't had the generations of progress from ancestors like many whites have had. I can saw that I was born into a stable family that set me up for success later in life. Those living in inner-city neighborhoods cannot.
But should we strive to make sure that everyone is given equal opportunity? Yes.

If slavery and racism were really the only factors that contributed to the plight of African Americans, with nothing else contributing to that, then Africa would be as prosperous as Europe. Instead, its the poorest continent in the world.

I absolutely disagree.

I keep hearing the liberals that whites need to be more tolerant. Problem is, it is the black community that continues to harbor ill will. Not us whites. I have never seen a push to get black people to recognize that they need to stop teaching their children the intolerance the do! As long as black people hold the white man responsible for their problems, they will never recognize they are the cause of their own problems.

Sure, there are still small pockets of actual racism. But what is more prominent than racism, is a lack or respect for a race that as a whole, because the majority of them deserves no respect for how they act in communities.

I recently broke up with a black girl, just last month. During the years we were together, I saw things in the black community I was unaware of. Blacks in this nation will get no where if they continue to blame us whites. They need to recognize their failings instead of blaming us.

And My God... The level of outright racism directed at me...

And we are the racists?

That logic is bas-ackwards.

We need to do everything we can to help out those suffering and those who haven't had the generations of progress from ancestors like many whites have had.
Why?

I come from a poor background. However, I wasn't taught by my parents I was inferior by other people's standards. I was taught to improve myself, and I did.

I can saw that I was born into a stable family that set me up for success later in life. Those living in inner-city neighborhoods cannot.
This again, is the fault of the parents. Not of white people.

There is more than equal opportunity out there. Still, if someone tries to get a job speaking Ebonics, instead of proper English, then how do they appear in an interview?

It all boils down to personal responsibility. Not racism. The amount of actual racism is insignificant. The bias that exists, by color, is not racism. It is more like a bias based on the experience that the majority of blacks present.

Michael Eric Dyson says whites should keep 'individual reparations account' - Washington Times

Heard about this yesterday. First off, let's be clear, nothing about this is mandatory and probably (hopefully) never could be so let's immediately concede the inevitable "but nobody who doesn't want to doesn't have to" point. That's true. This would be a personal choice. What I'm asking if if you think it's something white people should do. I'm really just curious, more than anything, what you think of the idea itself.

Loony leftist professors like that should be mocked,ridiculed and questioned how such an idiotic person managed to get a teaching job instead of taken seriously.

Michael Eric Dyson says whites should keep 'individual reparations account' - Washington Times
Heard about this yesterday. First off, let's be clear, nothing about this is mandatory and probably (hopefully) never could be so let's immediately concede the inevitable "but nobody who doesn't want to doesn't have to" point. That's true. This would be a personal choice. What I'm asking if if you think it's something white people should do. I'm really just curious, more than anything, what you think of the idea itself.

I don't much care about the details, as long as the same rules apply for everyone.
After I've received reparations for all the crimes committed against my ancestors, I'll be happy to pay for whatever crimes they committed.

Snark aside, I wouldn't actually mind people learning about who it was that instituted European slavery of Africans.
Normal people didn't own slaves. They couldn't afford it, and anyway were too busy trying to avoid sliding back into feudal bondage themselves.
It was the ruling classes who were beginning to find it difficult to enslave their own people. Even the Irish became to difficult to enslave at one point, so an outside source had to be found. Today they don't need them. As it turns out, invisible, mental chains are much more effective than iron ones.

Last edited:
If I choose to not donate, others may still donate. Should I donate, the amount would of course BNYB.

You are the one talking about donating... ;)

If we had a welfare system and help for disadvantaged people like Scandinavia, then African Americans would benefit. Probably they should get extra benefits because of Slavery.

Scandinavia has much fewer social problems then USA.

Nobody in my family ever owned slaves.

Some of my ancestors in 1828 -- 1858 were serfs in Russia. They were Jewish Cantonists.

After 1917 Revolution, all descendants of serfs got property from Russian nobles. My ancestors got a little living space in Leningrad (St. Petersburg).

If we had a welfare system and help for disadvantaged people like Scandinavia, then African Americans would benefit. Probably they should get extra benefits because of Slavery.

...yet they're increasing. They're having more problems now that they're not as homogeneous as they once were.

I am not an African American -- thus I do not know. My great grandparents were happy when after 1917 Revolution the property formerly held by Russian Nobles was divided among descendants of serfs.

Basically all the property of Russian Nobles was confiscated and the Nobles were given as much space and property as everyone else.

Last edited:
That's an improper analogy, especially as that isn't the argument in the first place. The argument (whether or not you agree with it) is that since you (assuming you're white) grew up in a system that doesn't systematically make your life more difficult for your race, and that since being black does (especially considering the negative repercussions of being descended from people who were systematically deprived of their rights and identity as completely as possible), then black people should be restituted financially.

Now, I don't agree with that as a solution, but that is the argument. It isn't that you yourself are a slave owner or were descended from slave owners, but that you benefited from a system that saw you as "equal" from the moment of birth and that you benefitted from an economy that got its start with slave labor.

And again, and I can't state this emphatically enough, I don't agree that reparations are a workable solution.

Even we go on that premise, the concept is ridiculous. Many people have difficult lives for a many number of reasons, should they also receive a payout. Who gets decide when how difficult ones life needs to be to receive payment. I understand you were just explaining the theory behind the idea. But anyway you skin the cat, reparations for blacks is ridiculous.

Even we go on that premise, the concept is ridiculous. Many people have difficult lives for a many number of reasons, should they also receive a payout. Who gets decide when how difficult ones life needs to be to receive payment. I understand you were just explaining the theory behind the idea. But anyway you skin the cat, reparations for blacks is ridiculous.

It's a completely unworkable and needlessly divisive solution. I don't see what's so hard about taking current institutional problems and just, you know, fixing those.

Here's an idea: don't create voting laws that you know will specifically target poor black people. Or change how schools are funded so that the quality of them doesn't come down to the real estate value of the homes in their districts.

Scandinavia!

Scandinavia!

Scandinavia!

:roll:

Scandinavia!

Hopefully most First World Nations and eventually all nations would set up a Welfare State. Without a Welfare State people unable to work are in a very bad situation.

Hopefully most First World Nations and eventually all nations would set up a Welfare State. Without a Welfare State people unable to work are in a very bad situation.

Without backing this claim up with facts your assertion is meaningless.

Back
Top Bottom