• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should white people set up "Individual Reparations Accounts"?

Should white people set up "Individual Reparations Accounts"?

• Total voters
No. Not just no. Oh HELL NO.

Reparations is little more than collective guilt extortion, and has no place in public policy.

well I guess when someone can prove they were held in slavery by someone in my family than I might think about it. But we will have to deduct all the tax money paid that goes to welfare etc. Now apparently one of my ancestors came from a slave owning family but he ended up being the commander of Fort Sumpter and fought for the Union so he paid his family's debt.

REparations is one of the most idiotic ideas that have ever come about. I wonder if whites who have been victimized by black crime ought to request reparations as well?

People are free to do whatever they want with their money. If they feel some guilt over the possibility they descended from slave owners then there is nothing stopping them from donating their time and or money to try and help the black community. The only way I would take issue with it is if they tried to force it on the rest of us.

These kinds of articles, which are almost always printed on right wing rags, do nothing but try to gin up anger on the part of whites for something that some professor says that will never, ever, happen.

A better question is:

Should people be concerned at all about things that will never in a million years happen?

How does anything in that article try to "gin up anger"?

Nope. Nobody in my family ever owned slaves. Nobody in this country ever was a slave. Nobody owes black people anything.

It was never the argument that anybody in your family owned your slaves.

Unfortunately, it's inevitable that would be the emotional knee-jerk reaction to the proposal of reparations. It was my reaction, and I know that that wasn't the implication.

Why is it that, for some people, every point of disagreement must mean "fear"? I think what you're seeing here is more derision.

Why are you scared about his questioning your fear? ;)

I really don't think reparations are the best way to deal with this. The way to deal with racial issues in America is to focus on and address any institutional factors that may aggravate them, not pursue highly emotional tit-for-tat measures that instantaneously put people on the defensive.

Oh get outa town with that common sense!! :lol:

Brilliant idea! As soon as I get my 2016 bonus next week I'll get right on this, Michael. Or not.

This is a stupid idea. I hope he next plans to go to England and suggest those ****ers do the same thing for those of us of Irish descent whose forefathers were starved to death during the potato famine.

Woah now... only black people in America were truly oppressed as slaves. They have a monopoly. Slaves of all cultures and races... even blacks, outside America, had it easy. Their assimilation is not to ever be brought up. In fact, bringing up white on white injustice makes a person a racist.

;)

That is what I get called when I do.

Michael Eric Dyson says whites should keep 'individual reparations account' - Washington Times

Heard about this yesterday. First off, let's be clear, nothing about this is mandatory and probably (hopefully) never could be so let's immediately concede the inevitable "but nobody who doesn't want to doesn't have to" point. That's true. This would be a personal choice. What I'm asking if if you think it's something white people should do. I'm really just curious, more than anything, what you think of the idea itself.

I vote no. That being said I like dyson, A LOT. I'll have to see video of this whole thing to know where he is coming from because something tells me the article title isn't completely accurate. That aside, what he mentioned about the Koch brothers is something I would absolutely do. If I were them, or had bill gates money I would definitely donate MILLIONS of it to lots of causes. I would do that if I had far far less money than them. I give now, it's just not a lot cause I don't have a lot :shrug:

It was never the argument that anybody in your family owned your slaves.

Unfortunately, it's inevitable that would be the emotional knee-jerk reaction to the proposal of reparations. It was my reaction, and I know that that wasn't the implication.

I was explaining why reparations are irrational. My grandmother was killed by a drunk driver many years ago. Said driver has since passed away. Does it make sense for me to ask the driver's grandchildren to pay me and my siblings and cousins reparations for something that happened 20 years ago and had nothing to do with us?

They're not slaves. They're being paid for their work.

That's not the defining criterion of slavery. Is the work voluntarily entered into? Do they have the right to refuse to work?

The victimhood game will continue on regardless.

People make a damn nice living promoting it.

That's not the defining criterion of slavery. Is the work voluntarily entered into? Do they have the right to refuse to work?

The article doesn't state if it's a voluntary program. I would be surprised if it wasn't. In my county in PA inmates are given the opportunity to work in different departments for $1 a day.

No. Not just no. Oh HELL NO.

Reparations is little more than collective guilt extortion, and has no place in public policy.

I agree.

I have no guilt on my hands.

Should black people set up crime offset accounts?

Nope. Because that would also be stupid and racist.
Just as it is racist to have the idea white people should pay reparations.

Leave it to the Guardian to be willfully ignorant as ever.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

How many lefties know where that comes from?

No, unless those white people personally were slave owners, then they should.

Leave it to the Guardian to be willfully ignorant as ever.

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

How many lefties know where that comes from?

:shrug: How to...Hypocrisy 1.01?

How does anything in that article try to "gin up anger"?

Just because some professor says something does not mean it has any chance in hell of ever happening. Hey look this professor says you white people need to be paying black people for your past sins..... Don't get angry....

And what if you are bi-racial? Do you pay yourself?

The entire notion of reparations to modern-day blacks by modern-day whites is foolish, intellectually-dishonest, and shabby.

I laugh, loudly, at the absurdity of the entire discussion.
:lamo

Back
Top Bottom