• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Romney to eliminate Planned Parenthood

LMAO... this isn't news... it's a photo from a private residence in 1994. Back in 1994 Romney was pro-choice....
I know Romney was pro choice in 1994. I have seen the video of the 1994 Senate debate with Ted Kennedy, when Romney revealed a close relative had died many years earlier in a botched illegal abortion. In that debate Romney
said he, like his mother was in favor of safe and legal access to abortion for all women.

I grew up in the 50's and the 60's and I know how tragic it was when girls and young women were injured or died because abortions were not legal. I remember when the Thalidomide babies were being born. (Women had taken Thalidomide during their pregnancies for morning sickness and the drug caused deformities to the babies)
Some of theses babies were born without arms, or legs, or neither.
It was in the news. There was a petition to congress to make abortions legal for the women who had taken the Thalidomide drugs but the petition
was denied. Some of the women who wanted an abortion either got a legal one out of country or risked their live's and had an illegal one.

I was only about 11 when the Thalidomide scare happened but I remember crying and praying for all the families and all of babies affected by the Thalidomide. It was sad indeed for all involved.

Why?
the name fits perfectly since the vast majority of what they do is preventing unwanted pregnancy and helping with planned pregnancy. Abortion related services are 3%

all of which by the way is making plans about parenthood :shrug:

Abortion is a multi-billion dollar industry. Its always about the $$. If it wasn't about the money, there wouldn't be a need for funding.

Abortion is a multi-billion dollar industry. Its always about the $$. If it wasn't about the money, there wouldn't be a need for funding.

I have no idea what you are trying to say or why you quoted me?

Yes healthcare generates lots of money :shrug:

Im not sure why that matters nor do i think your statement is accurate? multi-billion? are you talking since it started? or annually? whats an abortion 800$ even at 1.5million a year that's only 1.2billion dollars? but either way, again, why does that matter.

I'm also not understanding you correlation of claiming how lucrative you think abortions are but yet you admit P NEEDS funding to operate?

please explain

Wouldn't Planned Parenthood be more appropriately called Planned Pregnancy Prevention & Abortionhood?

Premeditated Homicidehood.

I have no idea what you are trying to say or why you quoted me?

Yes healthcare generates lots of money :shrug:

Im not sure why that matters nor do i think your statement is accurate? multi-billion? are you talking since it started? or annually? whats an abortion 800$ even at 1.5million a year that's only 1.2billion dollars? but either way, again, why does that matter.

I'm also not understanding you correlation of claiming how lucrative you think abortions are but yet you admit P NEEDS funding to operate?

please explain

My point is that Planned Parenthood doesn't exist because they believe in abortion rights. They exist to make money. If they didn't, and they existed because they believe in abortion, then they shouldn't pay their employees, nor should doctors accept money to perform abortions.

Why should taxpayers subsidize any business who directly reduces future economic output?

Why should taxpayers subsidize any business who directly reduces future economic output?

Many that have abortions are low-income families that are on welfare. Therefore, by having abortions they are directly REDUCING tax payer burdens.

My point is that 1.)Planned Parenthood doesn't exist because they believe in abortion rights. 2.)They exist to make money. 3.) If they didn't, and they existed because they believe in abortion, then they shouldn't pay their employees, nor should doctors accept money to perform abortions.
2.)Why should taxpayers subsidize any business who directly reduces future economic output?

1.) I agree they exist to provide health care to millions, beliefs on rights are meaningless they just provide legal health services
2.) PP is non-profit
3.) this is pure nonsense, they have to make some money to run, expand and of course their employers have to get paid or I guess we should just find enough people to staff 800 locations that operate 10hrs a day. LOL Guess all doctors, nurses ambulance drivers etc should work for free too?? LOL
4.) easy because it benefits the american public by providing quality and accessible healthcare to millions, is this something you are against? also please explain how it "directly reduces future economic output"

I again ask what any of this has to do with my post you quoted.

Many that have abortions are low-income families that are on welfare. Therefore, by having abortions they are directly REDUCING tax payer burdens.

no to mention the majority of other services they provide. I love how people are under the belief that all PP does is abortions LMAO people really need to educate themselves on what goes on at a healthcare center.

Being the leading national provider of abortion and the largest political advocacy group for legal abortion sort of has a way of defining your organization, no matter how much PR you put out to the contrary trying to minimize things.

It makes sense for them to try to do this, because they want to have political cover and don't want to lose taxpayer money (which they should not get)... but it would be nice if abortion supporters that don't actually work for them would be so kind as to stop being intellectually dishonest about what it is that they do.

Last edited:
Being the leading national provider of abortion and the largest political advocacy group for legal abortion sort of has a way of defining your organization, no matter how much PR you put out to the contrary trying to minimize things.

It makes sense for them to try to do this, because they want to have political cover and don't want to lose taxpayer money (which they should not get)... but it would be nice if abortion supporters that don't actually work for them would be so kind as to stop being intellectually dishonest about what it is that they do.

only if your views are already bias, objective people understand they are also the leading national org that prevents abortions in this country too LMAO (they actually prevent more than they preform, go figure) and abortion related matters are only 3% of what they do. a rational objective person understands they are a healthcare provider that is very beatifically to the American public. :shrug:

also the irony in the bold part is staggering, seems you are the only one being dishonest about what they ACTUALLY do lmao, hey but dont let facts and reality get in the way of your blind bias :laughat:

Last edited:
So like I said, it would be nice if pro-abortion folks weren't intellectually dishonest and could be rational, but as evidenced above, that's rare.

So like I said, it would be nice if pro-abortion folks weren't intellectually dishonest and could be rational, but as evidenced above, that's rare.

Pro-lifers are the ones that are intellectually dishonest by basing planned parenthood only on 3% of what they actually do.

evidence?:lamo

do you think anybody buys your lies?

if im being dishonest PLEASE prove it, thats all you have to do. If what i posted is such a huge irrational and dishonest post, tell us all whats dishonest about it. Should be very easy according to you PLEEEEEEEASE.

man up and back up your lies otherwise theres just more egg on your face :laughat:

Pro-lifers are the ones that are intellectually dishonest by basing planned parenthood only on 3% of what they actually do.

shhhhhhhhhh these types of facts just get in the way of peoples blindly bias rhetorical rants filled with fantasy and hyperbole. Your facts above will be ignored or dismissed as not true. :D

Come on man, it's very easy to understand conservatives' statements on this topic. You just have to keep in mind that their factual claims are "not intended to be factual."

That "3%" (332,228 in 2011) represents over a quarter of all the abortions done in this country (~1.2 million per year), cementing them as the leading provider of abortion in the country.

So yeah. That defines what they do.

Duh?

Last edited:
That "3%" (332,228 in 2011) represents over a quarter of all the abortions done in this country (~1.2 million per year), cementing them as the leading provider of abortion in the country.

Duh?

LMAO so 3% defines what they do? Sorry again nobody logical and objective would define a business by 3% of what they do :lamo

thats the most dishonest and illogical thing i have ever heard

Hey guess what, Micheal Jordan missed 50% of his shots taken in the NBA, man he sucks he was the worst basketball player ever. Missing defines what he does :laughat:

Duh?

It only defines what they do to intellectually dishonest righties. The rest of us recognize that 3% does not define what an organization does.

No matter how many times you try to define an organization by 3%, it doesn't make it honest or true.

Inane commentary aside, yes, Planned Parenthood tries to minimize its role as the nation's leading provider of abortion. They do so in many ways, and that "3%" is one of them. They just call any service issued to anyone equal regardless of expense and then slap down a percentage. It's also worth noting that they receive large sums of taxpayer money which can directly be used to perform those other services.

One could, of course, breakdown the services they offer specifically to pregnant patients: 2011 statistics...

abortion: 329,445
prenatal care: 31,098 women
adoption referral: 841

So of their pregnancy related services... oh. Yeah. Suddenly we're at 91%.

They perform over 25% of the abortions in the United States each year, making them the largest provider in the nation, by far.

Yes, that defines them.

Last edited:
Inane commentary aside, yes, Planned Parenthood tries to minimize its role as the nation's leading provider of abortion. They do so in many ways, and that "3%" is one of them. They just call any service issued to anyone equal regardless of expense and then slap down a percentage. It's also worth noting that they receive large sums of taxpayer money which can directly be used to perform those other services.

One could, of course, breakdown the services they offer specifically to pregnant patients: 2011 statistics...

They perform over 25% of the abortions in the United States each year, making them the largest provider in the nation, by far.

Yes, that defines them.

because_i_said_so_thats_why_poster-r0bd25987c88f4da592f1dfccbb1dc3bf_2sor_400.jpg

Yes, that defines them.

Did they change their focus? Do they only treat pregnant women? Did I miss their change in mission statement?

^ I'm explaining why the "3%" is misleading PR. I understand why the organization would try to present things that way - they want their cut of taxpayer money.

I'm just asking for people here to not to be so intellectually dishonest and irrational as to parrot their PR without a sliver of critical thinking.

Last edited:

Yes, that defines them.

Again, you show your dishonesty by cherry picking facts.

Here is a 2010 complete breakdown of services that you convieniently forgot to mention or were too dishonest to show you are wrong.

STI/STD Testing and Treatm ent — 38.0 percent of services in 2010
STI Tests, Women and Men 3,552,955
Genital Warts (HPV) Treatments 51,197
HIV Tests, Women and Men 574,901

Contracept ion — 33.5 percent of services in 2010
Reversible Contraception Clients, Women** 2,219,726
Emergency Contraception Kits 1,461,816
Female sterilization procedures 605
Vasectomy Clients 3,290

Ca ncer Screening and Prevention — 14.5 percent of services in 2010
Pap Tests 769,769
HPV Vaccinations 34,130
Breast Exams/ Breast Care 747,607
Colposcopy Procedures*** 41,549
LOOP/LEEP Procedures*** 2,432
Cryotherapy Procedures*** 1,254

Other Women’s Health Services — 10.4 percent of services in 2010
Pregnancy Tests 1,113,460
Prenatal Services 31,098

Abortion Services — 3.0 percent of services in 2010
Abortion Procedures 329,445
Oth er Services — 0.6 percent of services in 2010
Family Practice Services, Women and Men 35,062
Adoption Referrals to Other Agencies 841
Other Procedures, Women and Men**** 32,229

Tota l Services 11,003,366
*Patient Care Provided by Planned Parenthood Affiliate Health Centers in 2010

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/PPFA/PP_Services.pdf

So yeah, abortion does not define what they do. You lose.

Back
Top Bottom