• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Raped 9-Year-Old Has Abortion

I was personally of the opinion that no matter how Pro life a church/person is that this would be acceptable under the fact it would be saving a life and a lesser evil.

I was personally of the opinion that no matter how Pro life a church/person is that this would be acceptable under the fact it would be saving a life and a lesser evil.
The Church believes that two deaths are better than one murder...

Abortion is worse than rape.

I have no idea. But I'm sure there are rapists who are Catholic.

Some of them are even priests :doh

All I'm saying is that you can't be kicked out of the church (excommunicated) if you're not in the church to begin with.

Some of them are even priests :doh

All I'm saying is that you can't be kicked out of the church (excommunicated) if you're not in the church to begin with.

I understand that. I was just wondering about the policy for rapists.

Catholics are not Christians. Blame the Catholics NOT THE CHRISTIANS.

Excuse me? Since when did Catholics become nonchristians? You do realize that we are the seat of Christianity...the origin.

The rest of you protestant dogs split off from us so don't you dare tell us we are not Christians. That was the most ignorant thing I think I have EVER heard on this forum.

The Catholic church is out of line and should be ashamed of themselves.

:moody I am soooooooooooooooo holding my figurative tongue here....

BUT....

One Bishop does NOT the Catholic Church make.

If, as I seriously suspect, such a pregnancy would be life theatening, the church does not condemn life-saving medical action EVEN IF it results in the death of the unborn. Period.

Doctrine of Double Effect (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

In the Catholic faith the Doctrine of Double Effect doers not apply to abortion except in the case of an ectopic pregnancy. Harm caused can not be a foreseeable result, merely a possible one. In case of abortion the death of the fetus is a certainty and the doctrine does not apply.

In the Catholic faith the Doctrine of Double Effect doers not apply to abortion except in the case of an ectopic pregnancy. Harm caused can not be a foreseeable result, merely a possible one. In case of abortion the death of the fetus is a certainty and the doctrine does not apply.

I'm taking a "wait n see" on this one. The Bishop clarified that it's a latae sententiae excommunication which is what occurs when one does something contrary to the Faith which separates THEM from the Church--it's not an act which the Bishop or the Pope imposes--it's the result of the behaviors of the people committing the act. It is odd that the bishop commented on it. I'll look for some explanation...

I think a 9 year old carrying a baby to term definitely has foreseeable risk to the health of the 9 year old and the health of the baby, not to mention the mental risks to the 9 year old.

I think a 9 year old carrying a baby to term definitely has foreseeable risk to the health of the 9 year old and the health of the baby, not to mention the mental risks to the 9 year old.
You are right and I agree. I was just stating the position of the Church, not agreeing with it.
Call it crazy, but the Church does not agree to what it sees as murder over a foreseeable risk. They would rather let thing go on and see what happens, then try to save as many as possible.

There have been some very young girls successfully carry babies to term and deliver just fine. The complicating factor here is that there were two babies, and we have no idea of her physical structure. I've seen 9 year olds the size of small women who might be able to manage a "normal" pregnancy (and "normal" here is strictly referring to the gestation)--but twins....My daughter is a big 8 year old, and I don't think size-wise it's feasible for twins. 9 is pretty young to be fertile, so maybe she is very physically mature--that makes a difference.

I found 1 article that said the girl was 80 lbs--I don't know if that's at 4 months pregnant, or that was herr pre-pregnant weight.

Last edited:
After reading around a bit--I have to say, I'm a little suspicious. Abortion is illegal in Brazil, and there is a very vocal movement that wants it legal. The president and the health minister both are interested in changing the laws--this is a perfect case to incite outrage. Further, just in July, the Brazilian legislature rejected a bill to legalize it. Like I said....I'm suspicious.

EDIT: ...and just February 10th, the Pope himself specifically urged the Brazilian leaders to keep Abortion illegal.... Pope Urges Brazilian Leadership to Keep Abortion and Euthanasia Illegal

The circumstances surrounding the "timing" of this story are getting curiouser and curiouser....

Last edited:
9 years old, for God's sake! C'mon, where is the love of the victim in this issue?
I have a daughter. If someone raped her, he'd be considered lucky if I let him live.
That bishop who decided this needs to be excommunicated. Mom and kid need to find a real church.
The stepfather needs to be tossed into the worst prison on the planet and forced to be Bubba's girlfriend for the rest of his sorry existence.
Hisses,
Pookie

After reading around a bit--I have to say, I'm a little suspicious. Abortion is illegal in Brazil, and there is a very vocal movement that wants it legal. The president and the health minister both are interested in changing the laws--this is a perfect case to incite outrage. Further, just in July, the Brazilian legislature rejected a bill to legalize it. Like I said....I'm suspicious.

EDIT: ...and just February 10th, the Pope himself specifically urged the Brazilian leaders to keep Abortion illegal.... Pope Urges Brazilian Leadership to Keep Abortion and Euthanasia Illegal

The circumstances surrounding the "timing" of this story are getting curiouser and curiouser....

"Curiouser" :rofl

Whether the timing is curious or not, the fact still remains that it happened and it's simply not right.

The Bishop has done nothing except outline what the Church teaches. I think, however, that the reason he spoke up on the matter has to do with political maneuvering surrounding the abortion issue.

This is what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says on the issue of "excommunication for abortion."

2272 Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offense. The Church attaches the canonical penalty of excommunication to this crime against human life. "A person who procures a completed abortion incurs excommunication latae sententiae,"76 "by the very commission of the offense,"77 and subject to the conditions provided by Canon Law.78 The Church does not thereby intend to restrict the scope of mercy. Rather, she makes clear the gravity of the crime committed, the irreparable harm done to the innocent who is put to death, as well as to the parents and the whole of society.

Going to confession and confessing the sin of procuring a completed abortion removes the self-inflicted excommunication. Mom and docs would only need to go to confession--that is, if this story turns out to be what it's currently being portrayed as...

Back
Top Bottom