• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Public education.

All school boards are not alike, nor are they operating with the same funds as other school boards. IOW--not standardized across the nation--not of the same quality.

How do you propose making school boards "standardized"?
IOW--All teachers are responsible for setting the bar--not standardized across the nation--not of the same quality.

No, we don't set the bar --- the government does through the Common Core standards. We teach to help students master the standards. The quality of that education has a LOT to do with how educated (and dedicated to the work) that a teacher is.

Can you be more specific? What two or three things would you like to see restructured?
Students per class.
Increased paid teacher prep time
Year round schedule

How do you propose making school boards "standardized"?

No, we don't set the bar --- the government does through the Common Core standards. We teach to help students master the standards. The quality of that education has a LOT to do with how educated (and dedicated to the work) that a teacher is.
Exactly my point. :) Thank you :)

Exactly my point. :) Thank you :)

How do you propose making school board "standardized"?

And since each teacher has a different level of education and dedication, how do you propose to make that standardized as well?

How do you propose making school board "standardized"?

And since each teacher has a different level of education and dedication, how do you propose to make that standardized as well?
Asked and answered. Start at post #110 and read forward. :)

Asked and answered. Start at post #110 and read forward. :)

Can you link me to where you said specifically how to make the school board standardized?

Anyway, the number one reason children fail in school has nothing to do with the government, the teachers, the school board or administration.

Can you link me to where you said specifically how to make the school board standardized?
Anyway, the number one reason children fail in school has nothing to do with the government, the teachers, the school board or administration.
Then how do charter schools solve the problem?

There should only be one public education.

Private education is fine, especially when it's like the church school and such--but that should be a private matter between a consumer and a seller.

Voucher's are just a lottery system meant to obfuscate from finding solutions to problems.

No child in the United States should need to win a lottery to receive a quality education.

We can do better than that--we just choose not to because society really doesn't care about children.

^ That says nothing about how to make school board standardized.

Then how do charter schools solve the problem?

I don't have a lot of experience with charter schools so I really don't know. What do you think?

^ That says nothing about how to make school board standardized.
My bad. Try #112. I know you replied to the answer, if that helps you.
I don't have a lot of experience with charter schools so I really don't know. What do you think?
Post #110.

My bad. Try #112. I know you replied to the answer, if that helps you.

The standards should be the same for all children--the quality should be the same for all children.

Equality runs rampant in our constitution--it should run rampant in the fabric of our society. It doesn't.

That also says nothing about how to make school boards standardized or "equal". You're just saying "they should be equal". Okay, but how?

Post #110.

That doesn't explain anything either.

What do charter schools do, specifically, that makes them more successful than public schools? Keep in mind that public schools have to admit every single student who registers no matter their special needs, language, etc. No matter if there's staff that knows how to teach them well, speak their language, etc.

That also says nothing about how to make school boards standardized or "equal". You're just saying "they should be equal". Okay, but how?

That doesn't explain anything either.

What do charter schools do, specifically, that makes them more successful than public schools? Keep in mind that public schools have to admit every single student who registers no matter their special needs, language, etc. No matter if there's staff that knows how to teach them well, speak their language, etc.
So what do you propose then, for these children with special needs for special staff, etc.?

You aren't suggesting that public schools should be able to turn away children like charter schools do, are you?

So what do you propose then, for these children with special needs for special staff, etc.?

I honestly don't know. That's not my area of expertise at all. What do you think?

You aren't suggesting that public schools should be able to turn away children like charter schools do, are you?

If the school district doesn't have the ability to give those children the best education possible, shouldn't they go to a school where they can get that education? No student should be turned away from public school, but we can't keep throwing these kids into schools that are only babysitting them and not educating them.

So how would you make school boards equal across the US?

I honestly don't know. That's not my area of expertise at all. What do you think?

If the school district doesn't have the ability to give those children the best education possible, shouldn't they go to a school where they can get that education?
As long as the proper institution is FORCED to take in the child and then FORCED to a high standard and quality of education--sure. Public schools can refer children to that enforced educational requirement.

Do you know of any schools that can do a better job than a public school that doesn't mind being FORCED to work with children the public school decides it's too lazy/broke/unwilling to educate?
No student should be turned away from public school, but we can't keep throwing these kids into schools that are only babysitting them and not educating them.
Hence the demand for higher quality and higher standards. We've come full circle.

So how would you make school boards equal across the US?
Federally.

As long as the proper institution is FORCED to take in the child and then FORCED to a high standard and quality of education--sure. Public schools can refer children to that enforced educational requirement.

And when a SPED teacher doesn't meet the forced high standard? What then?

Do you know of any schools that can do a better job than a public school that doesn't mind being FORCED to work with children the public school decides it's too lazy/broke/unwilling to educate?

I imagine lots of different kinds of schools would do a better job with SPED kids than many public schools.

Hence the demand for higher quality and higher standards. We've come full circle.

It's been demanded for decades now and kids are still failing. Now what?

Federally.

Federally -- how? What would the law say? Would school boards still be locally elected?

And when a SPED teacher doesn't meet the forced high standard? What then?
Whatever HR has them under contract for as a consequence of not meeting the standard they agreed to at the signing of the contract. Demotion, etc. Hire better teachers--higher salaries draw better quality.
I imagine lots of different kinds of schools would do a better job with SPED kids than many public schools.
And that is the problem, isn't it?
It's been demanded for decades now and kids are still failing. Now what?
Stop talking.
Federally -- how? What would the law say? Would school boards still be locally elected?
Elect them as you wish--but the position they want to be elected to must meet these requirements--the same way you do with any job description at the federal level.

What's your plan? How do you suppose the public education system could become the envy of the world--as would be denoted by our proposed place as the wealthiest and greatest among all nations?

Whatever HR has them under contract for as a consequence of not meeting the standard they agreed to at the signing of the contract. Demotion, etc. Hire better teachers--higher salaries draw better quality.

Where are these imaginary teachers who will take over for this SPED teacher? Teaching SPED is a very difficult job that not many people want to do -- even with a higher salary.

And that is the problem, isn't it?

Of course.

Stop talking.

What?
Elect them as you wish--but the position they want to be elected to must meet these requirements--the same way you do with any job description at the federal level.

What's your plan? How do you suppose the public education system could become the envy of the world--as would be denoted by our proposed place as the wealthiest and greatest among all nations?

I reject your premise that the number one problem with students failing in schools has to do with the schools, government, school boards, etc. It's not. It's what's happening (and not happening) in their homes from conception until they leave their house. How do you fix that? Hell if I know.

How much paid planning time do you think you should get?
How much pay does a lawyer get while working outside the courtroom? How much does a doctor earn when she is not in the operating room?

Honestly? I spend a significant time each week prepping for classes and grading student work. Imo, teachers should receive 40% of their income for the work done outside of the classroom. If I got paid for it, my classes and my scoring would be much deeper.

Last week I spent @ 25 hours in class, and about 23 hours outside of class.

How much pay does a lawyer get while working outside the courtroom? How much does a doctor earn when she is not in the operating room?

Honestly? I spend a significant time each week prepping for classes and grading student work. Imo, teachers should receive 40% of their income for the work done outside of the classroom. If I got paid for it, my classes and my scoring would be much deeper.

Last week I spent @ 25 hours in class, and about 23 hours outside of class.

So you need about 4 extra hours every day to prep for classes? I don't think I've ever needed that much time - even at the beginning of my career. What do you teach?

So you need about 4 extra hours every day to prep for classes? I don't think I've ever needed that much time - even at the beginning of my career. What do you teach?
You didn't grade either?

My out of class time includes prep and grading.

I understand that. I don't think I've ever needed 4 extra hours every weekday to get all of my prep and grading done. What do you teach?

Back
Top Bottom