• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Public education.

Rengenshi

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Does public education create well rounded people or redundant minded sheep in wolfs clothing?

I have no idea what a "redundant minded sheep in wolfs clothing" refers to.

Public education is a boon to the world, we are lucky to be born at a time where education is funded, promoted, and still valued.

Does public education create well rounded people or redundant minded sheep in wolfs clothing?
Public education still has too much 'sit in rows and prepare to be cogs in the machine' aspects to it.
On the other hand, computers and other technologies are also opening lots of doors to more individualized instruction.

Public education is a boon to the world, we are lucky to be born at a time where education is funded, promoted, and still valued.
'more or less' valued...

Let us remember that 'public education' then called 'grammar school' was invented to make use of idle children as workers in the industrial revolution. They were excellent choices, could be chained to a job 18 hours a day, didn't need as much food and used 1/4 the materials for clothing.

But they all spoke different accents, particularly in Britain and New York, so they had to teach them 'grammar' so they would understand instructions. They were mostly taught assembly techniques like turning bolts, moving a part to the piece and the piece to the part and what happens when you break the rules! They were, in effect, slaves.

There is nothing like a good public school education. My kids went to an excellent public school.

The coursework was rigorous and the student body was diverse. Nothing beats it.

It does what it's designed to do. If it's designed to produce informed citizens it does that. If it's designed to produce proud, loyal citizens, that's what it does.

Why dont people value homeschooling as much as public education?

Public education made sense to me, parents need to work and children are needed becoming members of the work force.
Although I remember lots things I didnt like about school.

You get out of a public education what you put into it.
As far as I'm concerned, the weakest link in the education system is the parents. Too many are under the false impression that the public schools are responsible for educating their children. In reality, it is the parent's responsibility to educate their children, and the public schools are simply there to facilitate that goal. Too many parents have abdicated that responsibility and then want to blame someone else for their children's poor academic performance.

Let us remember that 'public education' then called 'grammar school' was invented to make use of idle children as workers in the industrial revolution. They were excellent choices, could be chained to a job 18 hours a day, didn't need as much food and used 1/4 the materials for clothing.

But they all spoke different accents, particularly in Britain and New York, so they had to teach them 'grammar' so they would understand instructions. They were mostly taught assembly techniques like turning bolts, moving a part to the piece and the piece to the part and what happens when you break the rules! They were, in effect, slaves.
Reminds me of Snowpiercer.

Yes, but that depends on the quality of the local public school and the interest taken by the parent(s).

Yes, but that depends on the quality of the local public school and the interest taken by the parent(s).

Public schools are also a sort of bare bottom safety net for those kids who happen to be born to parents who do not take an interest in education. Not all kids are that fortunate.

Public schools are also a sort of bare bottom safety net for those kids who happen to be born to parents who do not take an interest in education. Not all kids are that fortunate.

Public schools in higher income communities can compete with expensive private schools.

It's utterly unregulated. Unless parents are going to expose their children to contradictory ideas, they operate at a deficit.

Of course, red states want public schools to avoid contradictory ideas.

Some of us do. Started 21 years ago in our family.

We do not value government education for obvious reasons.

Some of us do. Started 21 years ago in our family.

We do not value government education for obvious reasons.

Kids might learn to think for themselves?

I don't understand. Are you saying that parents who send their kids to public schools do not

take an interest in education? Or did I misunderstand?

Back
Top Bottom