• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Princeton professor faces three years in jail for saying Poles killed more Jews than

Professors statement is?

• Total voters
Re: Princeton professor faces three years in jail for saying Poles killed more Jews t

That is a bad law. Has it been used previously?
Is there an English translation or can you do a rough one?
Read she intends to repeal this law, but not till 2018. Why wait?

This charge is politically based upon her need for cooperation from the present Dictator.
Germany OKs Jan Boehmermann prosecution in Erdogan row - AJE News

If found guilty, can he appeal to the EU HRC???

If found guilty it would go up to the German high court (Bundesverfassungsgericht). Böhmermann could possibly appeal to the European Court of Justice or the European Court of Human Rights. As the German court ruled the EU compatible with its constitution and for that reason legal only under the hypothesis that the Bundesverfassungsgericht over rules European courts. This hypothesis has not been tested and both courts have thusfar been careful not to do so.

Re: Princeton professor faces three years in jail for saying Poles killed more Jews t

People should be allowed to say their country sucks or some other insult to their country.

Why?

You do realize that in many parts of the world Christianity is considered an obstructive minority?

Many people have all sorts of different beliefs. Your problem is that you are assuming true beliefs to be equivalent to false ones.

I am sure the Euro-trash and Canadians who support hate speech laws agree with you that free speech is a bad thing or only okay as long it is for stuff we agree on.

Actually the left is quite upset about this. They would definitely take your side in this argument.

The link does not make a robust impression on me, but it indicates why I would prefer that we did not draw the line between legal and illegal as we do. That is too much liable to being misused.
Exactly. Until the same concern is expressed for Christianophobia or Jewophobia, (and there are ongoing slaughters against these groups as he was mouthing those words) or any similar phobia, people in high positions like his should really be more thoughtful before speaking.

Deciding what is 'overboard' is the complicated part and decisions we should not leave to the courts.

Do you understand why Germany has a Holocaust denial law?

Do you understand why Germany has a Holocaust denial law?
Yes, of course. But the question is, Should they have it. I don't think so.

It simply leads to government control over speech. That's happening in Germany now and will soon happen elsewhere as well.Where the Streets Have No Jokes (cont) :: SteynOnline

There is some irony when liberals attack each other on social issues.

There is some irony when liberals attack each other on social issues.

Or when Cons tell others how to live their lives.
Yeah freedom.

Or when Cons tell others how to live their lives. Yeah freedom.
It seems to be liberals who are advocating restrictions on free speech. Though, in their minds, it's all for the right reasons.

I love these quotes about Poland.

We all know what Humans will do to survive and we have seen that throughout our history. My guess is that if that professor where in a country that were occupied by such a brutal regime he might find himself doing things he would never dream of. I mean I can't honestly say that if I was a German in WW2 I would of more than likely followed orders and in the process probably committed war crimes. Be it shooting POW'S, herding people on trains or even turning the blind eye which is just as bad.

It seems to be liberals who are advocating restrictions on free speech. Though, in their minds, it's all for the right reasons.

Try being German in Europe. Many in other countries have memories that travel the generations from WW2.

I oppose holocaust denial, and indeed all genocide denial laws.

Try being German in Europe. Many in other countries have memories that travel the generations from WW2.

God yeh, a popular English football chant is " there were 9 german bombers in the air" sang to the tune of bottles on a wall.

Or when Cons tell others how to live their lives.
Yeah freedom.

Same for liberals. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see it.

Oddly enough, it is Cons that resort first to that so called insult of calling someone a Liberal.

Problem with liberals especially liberal professors etc is that they have never and will never fight for their freedom so their perception of freedom is always going to be different. It's same as here in the UK

Oddly enough, it is Cons that resort first to that so called insult of calling someone a Liberal.

I love your response. It is what America is all about.................right?

It is difficult to forgive and forget what the Germans did during WWII and the horrors they created so some 'resentment' is understandable. Some leftists still don't like the Americans for bombing Japan to end WWII either, or their prosperity either for that matter. Germans are just going to have to suck it up, if they can. It's their history and they're stuck with it.

Problem with liberals especially liberal professors etc is that they have never and will never fight for their freedom so their perception of freedom is always going to be different. It's same as here in the UK
You nailed it.

"Mr van den Boogaard is a Dutch gay "humanist", which is pretty much the trifecta of Eurocool. He was reflecting on the accelerating Islamization of the Continent and concluded that the jig was up for the Europe he loved. "I am not a warrior, but who is?" he shrugged. "I have never learned to fight for my freedom. I was only good at enjoying it." Indeed!

"I Was Only Good at Enjoying It" :: SteynOnline

I didn't find any numbers in the article linked, but in that article a historian said

So it seems like, depending on how you define the terms, it is correct.

Regardless, he shouldn't be facing jail time for it.

The questioning is kept secret. The article in the OP says he is facing jail time, but I didn't see under what charges. Seems to me an over zealous reporter making things up, which is very common these days.

Considering that they held out longer than France and their military never surrendered and formed the largest resistance movement in occupied Europe I find that position untenable, can you show that they killed more Jews than Germans?

I can't, but it also depends on what he is calling "killed." It was I think (memory?) four years after the war started, that Poland stopped taking in more refugees. Maybe just halting them with no food and water did the trick. We can only guess at this point without having access to the same historical documents he does. What if, soldiers killed advancing Jewish civilians to stop more from coming in? There wouldn't really be any reported witnessing it. It would be buried in military papers, if reported at all.

Without access to the same documents and personal accounts he was, we are in the dark. Considering he brought all this up because of Europe now taking on Muslim refugees, it probably is credible, as that is his only agenda.

I can't, but it also depends on what he is calling "killed." It was I think (memory?) four years after the war started, that Poland stopped taking in more refugees. Maybe just halting them with no food and water did the trick. We can only guess at this point without having access to the same historical documents he does. What if, soldiers killed advancing Jewish civilians to stop more from coming in? There wouldn't really be any reported witnessing it. It would be buried in military papers, if reported at all.

Without access to the same documents and personal accounts he was, we are in the dark. Considering he brought all this up because of Europe now taking on Muslim refugees, it probably is credible, as that is his only agenda.

You could start by looking to see where the largest concentration camps were located. Poland not Germany.

But this should not be attributed to the Polish people in general. They were powerless to do anything about it, just as the Jews were.

Blaming countries who were invaded for the atrocities which followed would be quite unfair. What this professor did is to blame Poland first in order to gain sympathy for his own agenda, and that is something many Americans understand quite well.

You could start by looking to see where the largest concentration camps were located. Poland not Germany.
Yes, but were they German or Polish run?

They might not count, unless he is including numbers where Polish citizens turned them in to the camps.

Again, it depends on how you generate the numbers.

The questioning is kept secret. The article in the OP says he is facing jail time, but I didn't see under what charges. Seems to me an over zealous reporter making things up, which is very common these days.

It did say

A Polish prosecutor has questioned a Polish-American scholar, Jan Tomasz Gross, to determine if he committed the crime of publicly insulting the nation with a statement on Polish violence against Jews during the Second World War.

Don't know if that's a for real law there or not, but the article suggests it is.

Back
Top Bottom