• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Carolina Christian School (receives tax dollars) bars gay students and can kick you out if your sibling is gay.

I do a lot of work for local/state government, a lot... so... I know people who know people.
I admit it. Lots of folks wouldn't like it, but you do what you do for your children.
Isn't it unfortunate that this is what we are forced to do? Anyone would do whatever they could for their children's wellbeing. That's why I think education restructuring should be a priority in this country instead of relying on private schools, and charter schools to make segregational institutions for our children.

So the people you know, that know people, got your kids into a school in a district where you don't live? This is not a "school of choice" scenario where you just got bumped up the waiting list?
It isn't, just saying I understand parents taking advantage of any means to get their kids into the best schools.

There's the application to actually attend which seems to support not only that they discriminate based on sexuality but also religious beliefs, which actually should be obvious considering they are a Christian (specifically Southern Baptist) school.

Their policies, which would include anyone living in the home that does not meet their standards, not just parents and/or students.

Ok.

Yes, they discriminate, so should not get government funding.
Sounds like you would either need to change 42 USC 2000d or pass a separate, more restrictive state law. How much support for such a law would there be in NC?

My kids wouldn't be allowed to go to this school merely because I support same sex marriage, gay rights. Also because both their father and I are not Christian, meaning they wouldn't accept our children to their school. But our money goes to their funding, that's BS
I think everyone feels that way about tax dollars to some extent.

Ok.

Sounds like you would either need to change 42 USC 2000d or pass a separate, more restrictive state law. How much support for such a law would there be in NC?

I think everyone feels that way about tax dollars to some extent.
There's probably much more support to change these voucher laws, possibly even get rid of them than our gerrymandered legislature here represents.

That isn't the way our tax dollars are supposed to be spent, where those taking them are allowed to discriminate against others based on religion and other characteristics.

Yep, let the churches fund them, and on that note, most churches involved in government propaganda need to be paying taxes, IMO.
Parents can pay the tuition for private education. Vouchers are a Republican scheme to defund public schools. As for this particular case, a real SCOTUS would reverse this policy under separation of church and state / equal protection, since the school receives public funds. I doubt that the current court will, though.

If you have children, or when you do - you would 100% do the same.
People will do a LOT for their own children.
I have children. I would not do things that are illegal and unethical to give them a slight advantage in schooling. That's not much different than what those rich parents were doing to buy their kids way into college through fraud (maybe a little lower scale). I believe strongly in doing things fairly and not stepping on others, possibly taking a seat from them because of cheating.

If you have children, or when you do - you would 100% do the same.
People will do a LOT for their own children.

No, I wouldn't. I have to assume your legitimate elementary school wasn't the worst school in the state, given your earlier comment about taxes in your neighborhood. The fact that it maybe wasn't the best, doesn't excuse the actions, IMO.

We learned early in basic training: Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Parents can pay the tuition for private education. Vouchers are a Republican scheme to defund public schools. As for this particular case, a real SCOTUS would reverse this policy under separation of church and state / equal protection, since the school receives public funds. I doubt that the current court will, though.
I agree, but not a chance this court will do that.

it's literally just a scheme to funnel taxpayer $$$$ to Christian schools that discriminate.

that's it. that's the whole ball of wax.
Why do you think poor minorities are more in favor of school choice, while affluent whites and teachers unions tend to form the opposition?

I have children. I would not do things that are illegal and unethical to give them a slight advantage in schooling. That's not much different than what those rich parents were doing to buy their kids way into college through fraud (maybe a little lower scale). I believe strongly in doing things fairly and not stepping on others, possibly taking a seat from them because of cheating.
They could always pull them out and homeschool if they're worried about their safety. I would sadly **** off ethics if I felt my kids would be in danger at a school that was in some of the areas I've lived.

But, I think religious schools allowed to discriminate are a no no, regardless of how they're funded. It should be the same as job discrimination, IMO. NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED.

Why do you think poor minorities are more in favor of school choice, while affluent whites and teachers unions tend to form the opposition?

School of choice and vouchers are two different initiatives, are they not?

A valid opinion, but a democracy is decided by votes. And most of the votes said "yes" to vouchers.
Therefore I support it.
There are other laws I don't support, but support that they exist, because I was out-voted.
A democracy means you are going to live in a society where you don't always get what you want.
Actually, no- we are not a democracy. We are a constitutional republic.
Could citizens of any given city, or state, say for instance, vote to abolish firearms? Of course not, because majority rule does not apply in all circumstances.

As to accepting that I/we are not always going to get what we want, thanks for pointing that out. I had never considered that before.

Where are you getting this claim? Pretty sure rural parents are not in favor of school choice in general, mainly because they see that they don't really have many choices. As I've pointed out before, there are generally going to enough open spots in private schools especially in rural areas for less than 1% of those students in public schools. And it is highly likely that those schools won't provide transportation for those kids and possibly not even meals, not to mention the fact that they are allowed to discriminate.

A lot of people though are buying into hype, don't know what they are getting into when it comes to things like this. They believe that it isn't schools that can discriminate or don't really care as long as it wouldn't be their family/kids being discriminated against. They don't realize the damage done if they happen to be one of the lucky ones to get in, while the rest end up getting reduced education because they can't, for various reasons.

“If we lose five or 10 students, that’s a teacher salary. But we can’t afford to have one less teacher, so now we’re cutting academic programs, we’re cutting sports, we’re cutting the things that this community relies on.”

So much for Party being for "the little guy, in rural areas who has to compete with those big cities".

Texas shows this is about big donors, business and wealthy parents basically all in it for them. This has nothing to do with helping those less fortunate. Most of these programs do not have limits on how much a family can make to get into these programs (some do but some are slowing going away if put in years ago) and some even allow parents who have never enrolled their children in public school to utilize this program, meaning there was never any chance for competition and a lot less funding, unfairly given to schools who don't have to "compete" for it under the same rules.

School of choice and vouchers are two different initiatives, are they not?
There are special voucher programs that wouldn't technically be part of this, but those aren't the same thing being discussed here. Those generally pertain to students who can't get even a decent education due to physical, mental, or emotional learning problems that public schools aren't really able to deal with without problems. There are voucher programs that are specifically for this type of student, and I don't think they are funded from the same funds as public schools in general.

The voucher programs in question are part of the "school choice" programs. There is another part of this, charter schools, which are sort of an in between, where they have less rules but still have some oversight and state level rules they have to meet to be able to get funding. They are treated similar to a public school, but with less oversight.

There are special voucher programs that wouldn't technically be part of this, but those aren't the same thing being discussed here. Those generally pertain to students who can't get even a decent education due to physical, mental, or emotional learning problems that public schools aren't really able to deal with without problems. There are voucher programs that are specifically for this type of student, and I don't think they are funded from the same funds as public schools in general.

The voucher programs in question are part of the "school choice" programs. There is another part of this, charter schools, which are sort of an in between, where they have less rules but still have some oversight and state level rules they have to meet to be able to get funding. They are treated similar to a public school, but with less oversight.

In Michigan, "school of choice" does not include private schools, I don't believe, and school districts can opt in/out of participating.

In Michigan, "school of choice" does not include private schools, I don't believe, and school districts can opt in/out of participating.

That sounds like what is in our county, where any student in this county can go to any school (at their academic level) in the county, by applying for what they feel is best (parents do this) for their kids, which helps to centralize certain programs too, so that those students who may want to concentrate on say science or math may be better off in a school where those are focused on whereas one that needs a more general, perhaps athletics focused education can choose a school less focused on advanced classes and more on overall general education with good sports programs.

That is a different type of school choice, but generally, the school choice programs being talked about in these debates are also the voucher programs which would include private schools and even home schooling for many areas, states although there is definitely some variation.

Actually, no- we are not a democracy. We are a constitutional republic.
Could citizens of any given city, or state, say for instance, vote to abolish firearms? Of course not, because majority rule does not apply in all circumstances.

As to accepting that I/we are not always going to get what we want, thanks for pointing that out. I had never considered that before.
Sigh... yes I know we are not a democracy...geez, but in ways we are. Like vouchers.
They pass due to voting. They don't pass in liberal states - because of voting.

Sigh... yes I know we are not a democracy...geez, but in ways we are. Like vouchers.
They pass due to voting. They don't pass in liberal states - because of voting.
They don't pass in liberal states because most liberals rightfully see them as the scam they are. They also face clear resistance from rural Republicans as well.

They are private and Christian schools trying to get a peace of the public money at the expense of public school funding. They are mainly rich parents trying to spend less money for their kids' schooling at the expense of parents less well off. They are Christian fundamentalists trying to harm public schools while benefiting mainly Christian private schools.

Literal Texas Republican Politicians have come out AGAINST this scheme to funnel tax money to Christian/private schools because it kills their rural/poor public district schools.

Back
Top Bottom