• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NHL 2023-24

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Blackhawks fan, here. Excited to see how Bedard plays this season, but hoping the team continues to be a bottom-feeder so they can get at least one more high draft pick.

Any team or player you guys are excited for this season? Also, anyone doing a fantasy hockey league?

I think it will be interesting to see how Detroit does this year after a huge turnover and a bunch of moves by Yzerman.

Most interesting story of the off-season is Babcock being hired to coach Columbus, and not even making it to training camp before being fired.

Predictions:
Leafs will regress.
Oilers will make the semi-finals, finally, but that is it.
Hurricanes will win cup.
Arizona will again be a disaster.
Penguins mortgaged another first rounder for a "quick" fix (Karlson) and still won't make the playoffs.
Ovie will again reach 40 goals.
Flyers will fire Torts.
And Bedard? He will do his best but this isn't the juniors. He will get steamrolled. Would have been better to give him another year of development and bring in some beefcakes to offer protection.

TORONTO fan and I don't want to talk about it. I'm in therapy
Toronto went into the offseason needing team defense and better goaltending. They now have worse team defense and at best no better goaltending. But they should score a lot of goals. Getting Nylander signed is probably going to be a real challenge for them to work out without breaking the bank.

The NHL regular season starts 10/10 Tuesday, two weeks ahead of the NBA.

Hawks start with 8 rugged games before the Coyotes, beginning with back-to-back at PIT and BOS. Welcome to the NHL, Bedard..

Toronto went into the offseason needing team defense and better goaltending. They now have worse team defense and at best no better goaltending. But they should score a lot of goals. Getting Nylander signed is probably going to be a real challenge for them to work out without breaking the bank.
This is their year. This is their year. This is their year......GD this is their f'ing year! OK breathe deeply .......

Predictions:
Leafs will regress.
Oilers will make the semi-finals, finally, but that is it.
Hurricanes will win cup.
Arizona will again be a disaster.
Penguins mortgaged another first rounder for a "quick" fix (Karlson) and still won't make the playoffs.
Ovie will again reach 40 goals.
Flyers will fire Torts.
And Bedard? He will do his best but this isn't the juniors. He will get steamrolled. Would have been better to give him another year of development and bring in some beefcakes to offer protection.
Carolina still lacks enough offense, but they could trade for it inseason.
Pitt has little choice, they have a limited window to contend, and there is going to be a big down period for them no matter what.
Ovie is going to go down as the best goal scorer of all time.
Torts has done a great job re-inventing himself. He might surprise everyone.
Bedard really is that good tho.

TORONTO fan and I don't want to talk about it. I'm in therapy
A bad man died and went to hell and when he got there Satan said let me show you around
He opened the gates and the bad man saw a lot of ice and snow and it was really really cold
I thought hell was supposed to be hot and fire and brimstone and all that
Yes, said Satan, but the Leafs won the Stanley Cup this year.

Ovie is going to go down as the best goal scorer of all time.
There could be a debate. He won't catch Gretz in points, only in goals. It will have taken him more years and more games to accomplish what Gretz managed in less games (seasons were shorter in his day) and less years.
Arguments will fly, but I will stick with Gretz as the best all-time, including best goal scorer - even if Ovie scores more by the time he retires.

A bad man died and went to hell and when he got there Satan said let me show you around
He opened the gates and the bad man saw a lot of ice and snow and it was really really cold
I thought hell was supposed to be hot and fire and brimstone and all that
Yes, said Satan, but the Leafs won the Stanley Cup this year.
Screw off..... got it

They brought in Corey Perry and Nick Foligno. Also, Tinordi can scrap.

I think another year would've been a waste for Bedard. He already dominates. Nothing more for him to learn at that level.

They brought in Corey Perry and Nick Foligno. Also, Tinordi can scrap.

I think another year would've been a waste for Bedard. He already dominates. Nothing more for him to learn at that level.
No way of knowing till we see the results.

There could be a debate. He won't catch Gretz in points, only in goals. It will have taken him more years and more games to accomplish what Gretz managed in less games (seasons were shorter in his day) and less years.
Arguments will fly, but I will stick with Gretz as the best all-time, including best goal scorer - even if Ovie scores more by the time he retires.
For 10 years Bossy was the best goal scorer. A shame he had a bad back. The Sandy Koufax of hockey.

Isles need Barzal, Horvat, and Wahlstrom to produce. Team has a high floor but low ceiling. Should be a bunch of 1 goal games.

I need to make more of an effort to follow it this season. It's a PITA following in the UK. Can only watch 5 minute highlights of games and there's no NHL sports talk on UK TV.

Not NHL related but so far this season.......
The WHL,
Allowed Bill Peters in the league, who got fired for racial slurs in the NHL.
Has suspended (99% sure will eventually fire) Kevin Constantine for using a racial slur in Wenatchee (team just moved there from Winnipeg, their coach didn't want to move too)
Red Deer, allowed someone to be their Captain, who was kicked off the Seattle Thunderbirds for racial incidents just 2 seasons ago

Damn what a sport, what a league.:mad:

I have him +30 goals this season and +75 points.

I have him +30 goals this season and +75 points.
He is going to be a star in this league, but there used to be a day when kids THIS young had time to develop. He is going to have it rough the first two or three years. Think about when you were 18. Fully developed? I think not.

Back
Top Bottom