• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Michael Vick: The problem of forgiveness and intrinsic value [W:251]

If Vick were White would you be able to find it in your heart to forgive him?

wow, it only took 4 posts for the race card to be played. way to go!!!!!!

Vick paid for his crime. Why is that not enough for you?

I'm not sure how this works as a response to what you quoted. Care to explain

He faced a harsher penalty than what bank C.E.O.'s paid and they ruined the livelihoods of thousands of people, which include people who commited suicide.

Bank CEO's facing too lenient of punishment does not excuse what vick did, nor does it make him any less of a scumbag.

So why is Vick's crime being treated so much worse?

Because we have absurd notions of animal worth in this country. If you want to cry racism then find me a comparable situation involving white, asians, or latinos where they faced less harsh criminal punishments. And if you want to argue he faced a greater social stigma, find me a public figure of different racial character who didn't face such a public backlash.

But going "eww racism" isn't an argument

So lock him up, throw away the key and the family gets nothing for their loss. OK.

why can't we force him to pay restitution and lock him up?

He would have been out of the NFL if made much longer. Out of the NFL means not making any money.
It must be horrifying to life like you do and cant add 2 and 2.

It's the irony that makes it so delicious!

Why do you think that Stallworth was destitute at the time he committed the crime?

So we are going to uncritically allow stallworth to define the circumstances that have a direct impact on him?

1) so he wasn't intoxicated? Well there goes 50% of your argument.

2) While restitution should be a concern here, there was still a crime committed that the public has a clear interest in discouraging, and such should not be swept under the rug because the perp happens to be rich
The police didnt disagree with him so yea.
The "rich" get away with murder all the time. He paid a heavy price, his life was ruined, his career jepordized, his bank account raided and you want the only way he can pay the victims family back taken too, so they get nothing.
If I had a few mill in the bank, and it a family was insistant that I do a long prison term. I would not pay them a dime and would hide every penny possible before going to jail.

Who said that? Are you really so incapable of complex thought that for you the only options you can imagine are 23 days or forever? It must be horrifying to live like that.

i vote for 23 days plus forever

It's the irony that makes it so delicious!

Why do you think that Stallworth was destitute at the time he committed the crime?
Again, he was not convicted the night of the crime.
He came to a settlement ageement with the vics family. Happens all the time.
Otherwise he would have hid what money was left, protected his assests, paid his lawyer and gotten out of jail years later still a millionaire. And the victims family would have gotten nothing.
He was remorseful, he paid, he didnt blame anyone else even though the vic was not in the crosswalk and darted out in front of him.

If I had a few mill in the bank, and it a family was insistant that I do a long prison term. I would not pay them a dime and would hide every penny possible before going to jail.

It's good that you can admit to being a worthless piece of ****.

The police didnt disagree with him so yea.

wouldn't that be better establish by quoting something that actually reflects that?

The "rich" get away with murder all the time.

So your argument is that it happened before so it should happen again? That makes no sense logically

He paid a heavy price, his life was ruined

lol, he killed someone, served 23 days in jail and payed an undisclosed amount of money. That he was actively signed years after the accident hardly speaks to his life being ruined, especially within the context of his crime, his career jeopardized

That would be impossible. With no NFL career, what was he going to pay them with?

he was drafted in 2002, the accident happened in 2005. His career clearly existed before the accident

It's good that you can admit to being a worthless piece of ****.

Like I care what you think. If I offer a huge settlement and the family insists I go to jail. Screw them.
But who is a more worthless POS? You the guy that is OK with the family getting nothing, or me who sees the family getting a settlement?
He got some jail, he got a long probation. He was not a criminal in the common sense. He had never been in any trouble before.
All that taken into account and the fact he has not been in trouble since. I think it worked out for the best all things concidered.

Like I care what you think. If I offer a huge settlement and the family insists I go to jail. Screw them.
But who is a more worthless POS? You the guy that is OK with the family getting nothing, or me who sees the family getting a settlement?
He got some jail, he got a long probation. He was not a criminal in the common sense. He had never been in any trouble before.
All that taken into account and the fact he has not been in trouble since. I think it worked out for the best all things concidered.

you are seemingly ignoring that the crime has an impact that reaches outside the confines of the family and society has an interest in discouraging people from driving reckless while under the influence. Even the rich

he was drafted in 2002, the accident happened in 2005. His career clearly existed before the accident
You know as well as I do those guys burn through money like there is no tomorrow. Hell he was driving a Bentley.
He probably blew 20K at the bar that night.

You compared forced animal breeding to human rape. It's not my fault you have undermined anything else you could offer here

I did not compare "forced animal breeding" to human rape. I showed a picture of devices known as "rape racks". I didn't name the devices. You apparently imagined the rest.

I sense a mod warning coming. :lol:

you are seemingly ignoring that the crime has an impact that reaches outside the confines of the family and society has an interest in discouraging people from driving reckless while under the influence. Even the rich

So this was the first time someone had been jaywalking and got hit by a car driven by a guy with a few too many beers?
You all bent out that Bret Micheals didnt go to prison as well? Or how about Laura Bush?

The family's willingness to take the settlement played a part in the sentence. But keep talking, internet tough guy.

It doesn't take toughness to note that you are a worthless piece of ****. It only takes brains. That's probably why you have failed to note it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom