• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Meat on Good Friday?

Do you eat meat on Good Friday?

• Total voters
April 8 will come and go, and people like you will still think they think

true, and i will definitely think about that.

the other half of the story is that most people would rather die than think.

i trust that not you?

true, and i will definitely think about that.

the other half of the story is that most people would rather die than think.

i trust that not you?

I'm going to die whether I think or not.

it helps billions of people.

we can all use the money.

amen. i got rest last nite; we all NEED that. especially for what is coming april 8

think i will.

do you ride much?

blessings, ride out April 8 on a bicycle.
Not really--I work full time and I'm in school. At the moment I took a leave of absence for some medical issues, but I return on the 8th and I'm excited to get back to helping the homeless and families in crisis :)

However, if I did ride a bike, it would have to be an adult-trike because I'm of the age where I don't need to break anything else! Maybe when I finish getting my degree I'll have more time and somewhere to keep a bicycle (I'm homeless at the moment.)

The gym I belong to (discount rate through my employer) allows me to workout and shower all in one go so I'm there fairly regularly. I stay in a very busy house and you have to squeeze in a quick shower to free up the bathroom. This is courteous to them as well ;) But, that's where I get my exercise :)

What was the topic again? I think we veered off course......

Jeez, April 8th is just a Monday. It's not the end of the world.

yes it is.

some people like you would rather die than think, i think.

remember the Big Fish story?

Jonah didn't eat fish on friday.

sorry, another story...

jonahflat_72x84._Corrected_8.5.16_Approved_h3wuzc.jpg

@Rumpel my mother was an Italian-Catholic refugee fleeing Musso and my father was a young Jewish refugee from Germany when they met in New York City in the late 1930's.
My mother's Italian parents liked my father almost immediately when they met him, and my paternal grandfather liked my mom immediately but my paternal grandmother was another story.

First, she threatened to jump out the window if they married, to which her husband responded, "We're on the Second Floor, you'll break a leg and we will be the laughingstock of the building!"

Finally the day came where my father brought my mom home to MEET THE PARENTS. It was a Friday and in those days the Catholic prohibition against eating meat on that day was still very much in full force. I guess this is where my paternal grandmother found a chink in the armor and she made CHICKEN for dinner, in a classic passive-aggressive future mother in law move.

Dinner commenced and Mom was pushing the food around and around on the plate, and Grandpa finally asked "Don't you like the food, dear?" and then suddenly he realized what had happened. He took Grandma into the kitchen...to which she protested innocence, claiming to not have realized the prohibition, which was nonsense, she knew.

So, Grandpa came back and told a little white lie: "My dear, before I became a banker I was studying to be a rabbi, now close your eyes for a moment" whereupon he waved his hands over the plate and intoned: "You're NOT a chicken, you're a fish, you're NOT a chicken, you're a fish, you're NOT a chicken, you're a fish, okay let's eat!"

And so she ate, and then went to Confession in church the next morning.
Her priest said "Alby, you said the father claimed he was going to be a rabbi, yes? And he blessed the chicken, yes? God UNDERSTANDS, my dear, you committed no sin." 😆😆

View attachment 67501482
LOVE this story! Thank you for sharing it :) Made me grin! :)

“I have heard the languages of apocalypse, and now I shall embrace the silence.”
― Neil Gaiman

People are making apocalypse jokes like there's no tomorrow.

God didn't. It's a sacrifice that is made in reverence to Jesus.

It's funny how I could keep a tradition for so long and totally forget why it was a tradition. I knew it was related to Jesus, but in my mixed up memory, I had it as something from the last supper. I'm sure I knew this fully at one point because I've read my bible thoroughly a few times (in different religions, classes, etc.) and it's fully tabbed, and highlighted so often now...

But thanks for the reminder! The only thing I've got down pat is the drinking wine part ;)

Not really--I work full time and I'm in school.

great. what degree perhaps?

At the moment I took a leave of absence for some medical issues, but I return on the 8th and I'm excited to get back to helping the homeless and families in crisis :)

amen. and blessings to you and yours.

However, if I did ride a bike, it would have to be an adult-trike because I'm of the age where I don't need to break anything else! Maybe when I finish getting my degree I'll have more time and somewhere to keep a bicycle (I'm homeless at the moment.)

good choice. i went down on a motorcycle and gave that up.

still miss it, but try to ride my bike daily for exercise; when it gets cold i have an indoor bike.

(I'm homeless at the moment.)

sad. Lord please help this lady find a home, and protect her come April 8. ✝️

The gym I belong to (discount rate through my employer) allows me to workout and shower all in one go so I'm there fairly regularly. I stay in a very busy house and you have to squeeze in a quick shower to free up the bathroom. This is courteous to them as well ;) But, that's where I get my exercise :)

very healthy, need to be that way when the Eclipse comes.

What was the topic again? I think we veered off course......

i don't know.

fish maybe?

blessings, april 8 is no fish story...........except for Jonah, and the part where the Eclipse goes over 7 Ninevehs in the usa.

I grew up in a Polish-Catholic community (was even raised by nuns for a bit and thought about becoming one myself for a time!) so we were always about the fish fry on Fridays! :) It's a tradition I carried on for a very long time.

Now I'm lucky to remember to buy food, let alone what day it is :)
Same! Fish fry party at the church courtyard, yummy! :)

Now I'm just so turned off by the politics of religion I skip it all for humanism.

Same! Fish fry party at the church courtyard, yummy! :)

amen. some still do
Now I'm just so turned off by the politics of religion I skip it all for humanism.

check around, we did. now we have home church and a few other churches elsewhere.

tonight church dinner with friends; lots of fellowship.

we almost live at church. good friday coming up, maybe a service this saturday. ......of course sunday.

april 8 is more than a big fish story

amen. some still do

check around, we did. now we have home church and a few other churches elsewhere.

tonight church dinner with friends; lots of fellowship.

we almost live at church. good friday coming up, maybe a service this saturday. ......of course sunday.

april 8 is more than a big fish story

It can get crazy!

then you need to think about eating fish on friday.

you may want to think about that.

Don't have to eat fish either. Just abstain from eating meat.

I used to be very strict about not eating meat on Fridays, especially Good Friday, but these days I only do it for the amazing fish fries not any kind of Catholic reason. A couple of my relatives are still very devoted and do a complete fast on Good Friday - now that's old school!
I always have since early childhood. "Gimme that old-time religion...!"🎶

But it's not exactly a sacrifice ever for me to eat seafood anyway!

Don't have to eat fish either. Just abstain from eating meat.

or you can fast and pray. does amazing things too.

Daniel 10:2-3 "In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled."

Daniel mourned too. fasted 3 weeks; now you know why Daniel was exceptional.

April 8 coming, you can be exceptional; fast and pray. find Mourner's Bench at bible church, i will be there too.

th-1220673542ff.jpg...people still do this, still time before it hits the fan.

or you can fast and pray. does amazing things too.

Daniel 10:2-3 "In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled."

Daniel mourned too. fasted 3 weeks; now you know why Daniel was exceptional.

April 8 coming, you can be exceptional; fast and pray. find Mourner's Bench at bible church, i will be there too.

View attachment 67501497...people still do this, still time before it hits the fan.

Thank you for teaching me something, Rev; I was unfamiliar with the "mourner's bench." I like it. And Googled in case anybody else is too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourner's_bench

Thank you for teaching me something, Rev; I was unfamiliar with the "mourner's bench." I like it. And Googled in case anybody else is too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourner's_bench

welcome.

i wasn't raised with that and mostly an Introvert anyway. as a very young child i was afraid of people and couldn't process running away from them.

a little better now, but my wife is kinda the same way some days at church.

she hit the bench a few weeks ago with our Son and started Crying.........and so did i.

i will probably be there again this sunday. if you don't know what to pray, then just cry.......my tears are coming down my face as i write this as God knows my heart better than me.

stay at your Mourner's Bench till God gives you Peace. don't worry about what others are thinking about you, actually some will come and pray with you till God meets with you. some just fall over and i catch them.

you find this only at some churches; many Pentecostals still like this.

instead of a sermon they just run to the alter and pray, cry and help one another.

you can do this any day, doesn't have to be april or Easter people.

th-4011156909cc.jpg...the first time you do this is the hardest. the older i get, well the more i do this. some day i will go to my Eternal Place and not need this anymore.

you wont need this either when God touches you and brings you home.

he will if you try.

Last edited:
@Rumpel my mother was an Italian-Catholic refugee fleeing Musso and my father was a young Jewish refugee from Germany when they met in New York City in the late 1930's.
My mother's Italian parents liked my father almost immediately when they met him, and my paternal grandfather liked my mom immediately but my paternal grandmother was another story.

First, she threatened to jump out the window if they married, to which her husband responded, "We're on the Second Floor, you'll break a leg and we will be the laughingstock of the building!"

Finally the day came where my father brought my mom home to MEET THE PARENTS. It was a Friday and in those days the Catholic prohibition against eating meat on that day was still very much in full force. I guess this is where my paternal grandmother found a chink in the armor and she made CHICKEN for dinner, in a classic passive-aggressive future mother in law move.

Dinner commenced and Mom was pushing the food around and around on the plate, and Grandpa finally asked "Don't you like the food, dear?" and then suddenly he realized what had happened. He took Grandma into the kitchen...to which she protested innocence, claiming to not have realized the prohibition, which was nonsense, she knew.

So, Grandpa came back and told a little white lie: "My dear, before I became a banker I was studying to be a rabbi, now close your eyes for a moment" whereupon he waved his hands over the plate and intoned: "You're NOT a chicken, you're a fish, you're NOT a chicken, you're a fish, you're NOT a chicken, you're a fish, okay let's eat!"

And so she ate, and then went to Confession in church the next morning.
Her priest said "Alby, you said the father claimed he was going to be a rabbi, yes? And he blessed the chicken, yes? God UNDERSTANDS, my dear, you committed no sin." 😆😆

View attachment 67501482
I really really hope that is a true story because it is so wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom