• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Limbaugh threatens to leave the country if the health-bill passes

Blah blah blah blah blah.

All I see is the typed equivalent of a ballerina.

Stop your idiotic strawman. No one can say how you're misrepresenting Rush's words without you ducking and dancing away again because you aren't showing the balls to clearly say how you are representing them. You ***** out of it every single time. You insinuate, you dance around the issue, you skirt close and then skitter away, but you repeatedly refuse to have the spine to actually state clearly and plainly what EVERYONE in this thread can obviously see you'r trying to insinuate. So, while I'm sure your dancing feet will continue to float you merrily on your way, lets try ONE MORE TIME to see if we can actually get some honesty from you

it's not MY words that we have been accused of misrepresenting
it's rush's
you insist HIS words were misrepresented, but none of you are able to explain in what way
just because you would want that to be the case in the defense of your spokesmodel does not make it so

so, as with the others, you have nothing ... beyond an unsubtantiated insistence that rush's words were misrepresented - in a way you are unable to explain
unfurl that flag of surrender while you declare victory
i'm not laughing with you

Still nothing, eh? Still being dishonest to cover your own post? Here, I'll repost it for you:

... Limbaugh says the following: "I'll just tell you this, if this passes and it's five years from now and all that stuff gets implemented -- I am leaving the country. I'll go to Costa Rica."

It is not clear if Limbaugh was making a joke, if he was saying he would leaving the country permanently, or if he was saying he would leave just for health care.

The radio host was responding to a caller who asked, "If the health care bill passes, where would you go for health care yourself?" ...

See what was in bold? YOU made an interpretation and CHOSE to take his words as meaning what you wanted them to mean.

Like I said. You've got nothing other than your own partisan hackery and the fact that you self-pwned. And to top it all off, you are being dishonest and refusing to admit your error. Quite a feat... so many problems in but one argument.

Still nothing, eh? Still being dishonest to cover your own post? Here, I'll repost it for you:

See what was in bold? YOU made an interpretation and CHOSE to take his words as meaning what you wanted them to mean.

Like I said. You've got nothing other than your own partisan hackery and the fact that you self-pwned. And to top it all off, you are being dishonest and refusing to admit your error. Quite a feat... so many problems in but one argument.

let's see what you deem misrepresentation:
... Limbaugh says the following: "I'll just tell you this, if this passes and it's five years from now and all that stuff gets implemented -- I am leaving the country. I'll go to Costa Rica."

It is not clear if Limbaugh was making a joke, if he was saying he would leaving the country permanently, or if he was saying he would leave just for health care.

The radio host was responding to a caller who asked, "If the health care bill passes, where would you go for health care yourself?" ...
after making his comment, in red above, you would then find anyone who accepts what he has said verbatim to be misrepresenting rush's words
that position is totally devoid of any logic
no positions could then be staked out because the opposition would always be able to levy a charge that the position misrepresented what was stated
one would think that an individual who hosts a debate site would be able to grasp that reality

let's see what you deem misrepresentation:

after making his comment, in red above, you would then find anyone who accepts what he has said verbatim to be misrepresenting rush's words
that position is totally devoid of any logic
no positions could then be staked out because the opposition would always be able to levy a charge that the position misrepresented what was stated
one would think that an individual who hosts a debate site would be able to grasp that reality

Firstly, I don't host a debate website. Secondly, as seem in what I quoted and placed in bold, the comment is open for interpretation. What you are misrepresenting is the fact that YOUR interpretation is the fact. You have no evidence of that. The quote proves this. You WANT it to be true so you can play "gotcha" on Rush. That doesn't make it so, This has been explained to you in examples... which you have conveniently ignored.

This is just partisan grandstanding on your part. Nothing more.

Firstly, I don't host a debate website. Secondly, as seem in what I quoted and placed in bold, the comment is open for interpretation. What you are misrepresenting is the fact that YOUR interpretation is the fact. You have no evidence of that. The quote proves this. You WANT it to be true so you can play "gotcha" on Rush. That doesn't make it so, This has been explained to you in examples... which you have conveniently ignored.

This is just partisan grandstanding on your part. Nothing more.

absolutely not
to insist one is misrepresenting a statement indicates that that interpretation cannot be valid
check out the definition to see for yourself:
mis·rep·re·sent ...
1.to represent incorrectly, improperly, or falsely.
2.to represent in an unsatisfactory manner.

nothing presented was incorrect, improper, false or offered in an unsatisfactory manner
there could not have been misrepresentation

absolutely not
to insist one is misrepresenting a statement indicates that that interpretation cannot be valid
check out the definition to see for yourself:

nothing presented was incorrect, improper, false or offered in an unsatisfactory manner
there could not have been misrepresentation

It was certainly unsatisfactory. It was certainly open for interpretation. The comment I highlighted showed that. I would think that most reasonable people would see that, too. You chose to read the comment without context. This is unsatisfactory.

It was certainly unsatisfactory. It was certainly open for interpretation. The comment I highlighted showed that. I would think that most reasonable people would see that, too. You chose to read the comment without context. This is unsatisfactory.

your batting average is declining with each swing
that you do not concur with my interpretation of rush's words in no way makes my presentation unsatisfactory or misrepresentative

your batting average is declining with each swing
that you do not concur with my interpretation of rush's words in no way makes my presentation unsatisfactory or misrepresentative

Has nothing to do with whether I concur or not. Your presentation was unsatisfactory for why I said. You chose to read the comment without context. Statements do not live in a vacuum. Without context, comments are pretty meaningless. This is why your presentation was unsatisfactory and, as per your definition, a misinterpretation.

Has nothing to do with whether I concur or not. Your presentation was unsatisfactory for why I said. You chose to read the comment without context. Statements do not live in a vacuum. Without context, comments are pretty meaningless. This is why your presentation was unsatisfactory and, as per your definition, a misinterpretation.

if my interpretation were not a plausible one, then you could reasonably present that there was no legitimate basis for it, and thus deem it unsatisfactory and consequently, misrepresentative as a result
however, where my interpretation was certainly plausible - as in this instance regarding rush's comments - it did not meet the definition of misrepresentation
my conclusion may have been different from your own, but that does not cause it to be found unsatisfactory
hence, it cannot be found misrepresentative
and please do not stop arguing semantics with me

Apparently Costa Rica did not take this sitting down ~

"SAN JOSÉ, COSTA RICA – Calling it the “greatest threat our nation has ever faced,” President Óscar Arias Sánchez has announced that Costa Rica will re-institute the military in order to fend off an invasion by American radio entertainer Rush Limbaugh.

Costa Rica President Óscar Arias Sánchez surveys the rants of U.S. radio entertainer Rush Limbaugh from an unusually fortified position.

Costa Rica has not had an active military since 1948. However, President Arias felt a very real sense of urgency given the latest developments.

“We can sit back and wait to see if the U.S. passes health care reform, or we can act now,” said Arias. “We don’t want our answer to come in the form of a mushmouth cloud.”

Arias was responding to recent comments from the entertainer, who said he would move to Costa Rica if health care reform passed in the United States.

“I’ll just tell you this, if [U.S. health care reform] passes and it’s five years from now and all that stuff gets implemented, I am leaving the country. I’ll go to Costa Rica.” said Limbaugh.

Arias, a Nobel Peace Prize Laureate recognized worldwide for his commitment at maintaining peace in the sometimes turbulent Central and Latin America countries, said he would not allow his nation to suffer the same fate as the U.S. … calling for every man, woman and child in the nation to join the military and guard the borders.

“This is the greatest threat our democracy has ever faced,” said Arias. “If Limbaugh gets in, then Glenn Beck, Michael Savage, Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter will surely follow.

“We cannot allow these weapons of mass distraction (wmd) come and ruin our nation as they have worked so hard to do in America,” added Arias."

satire source: williamkwolfrum.com [yes, it's just a joke people :)

Costa Rica Re-institutes Military to Keep Out Rush Limbaugh | The Costa Rica Frog: www.CostaRicaFrog.com

Last edited:
if my interpretation were not a plausible one, then you could reasonably present that there was no legitimate basis for it, and thus deem it unsatisfactory and consequently, misrepresentative as a result
however, where my interpretation was certainly plausible - as in this instance regarding rush's comments - it did not meet the definition of misrepresentation
my conclusion may have been different from your own, but that does not cause it to be found unsatisfactory
hence, it cannot be found misrepresentative
and please do not stop arguing semantics with me

Your presentation was unsatisfactory. You failed to use context. Without context, words are pretty meaningless. Let's see you add some objective context to your representation and then it could be better assessed as a misrepresentation or not. As it stands now, it is unsatisfactory.

Your presentation was unsatisfactory. You failed to use context. Without context, words are pretty meaningless. Let's see you add some objective context to your representation and then it could be better assessed as a misrepresentation or not. As it stands now, it is unsatisfactory.

you've whiffed again
there was no absence of context. you are just making **** up, now. i can only surmise you do that to preserve some semblance of an already weak argument
the news account i posted - the one that you bolded - recognized my interpretation as a possible one - a satisfactory one
which confirms there was no mischaracterization
you may disagree with my interpretatation, but nowhere is there a basis to assess my view of rush's words as a misrepresentation

you've whiffed again
there was no absence of context. you are just making **** up, now. i can only surmise you do that to preserve some semblance of an already weak argument
the news account i posted - the one that you bolded - recognized my interpretation as a possible one - a satisfactory one
which confirms there was no mischaracterization
you may disagree with my interpretatation, but nowhere is there a basis to assess my view of rush's words as a misrepresentation

There is a complete absence of context in your interpretation. That's the problem and why it is unsatisfactory and a misrepresentation. If you had used context and had come up with the same interpretation, that would be different. You didn't. It was therefore unsatisfactory and a misrepresentation. Next time, try to use context in your assessment so this won't occur.

There is a complete absence of context in your interpretation. That's the problem and why it is unsatisfactory and a misrepresentation. If you had used context and had come up with the same interpretation, that would be different. You didn't. It was therefore unsatisfactory and a misrepresentation. Next time, try to use context in your assessment so this won't occur.

a very bogus conclusion on your part (and because i expect you to disagree, you would now be able to say i was misrepresenting you, given the strange "logic" of your argument)
i used a context but came to an intrepretation apparently different than your own
that our interpretation of his words differ does not cause my conclusion of rush's words' intent to be invalid. in no way were his words misrepresented
again. you have taken an unsustainable position. the definition of mirepresentation works against you
play on

Okay, let me get this straight then Justabubba....

Based on what you're saying.

If Rush Limbaugh left, went to Costa Rica for a day, and then came back to the U.S. you would believe he fulfilled his "promise" because verbatim he "left the country" and went "to costa rica", since you're not suggesting he meant anything more or interpreting it anything more than saying he'd leave and go there?

So if he went for a 6 hour trip and came back you'd think he'd done as he "promised"?

Okay, let me get this straight then Justabubba....

Based on what you're saying.

If Rush Limbaugh left, went to Costa Rica for a day, and then came back to the U.S. you would believe he fulfilled his "promise" because verbatim he "left the country" and went "to costa rica", since you're not suggesting he meant anything more or interpreting it anything more than saying he'd leave and go there?

So if he went for a 6 hour trip and came back you'd think he'd done as he "promised"?

see, what you have done is provided MORE information, more context to use to filter the intent of his original words
when he originally said he intended to leave the country and go to costa rica, it was not a far reach to conclude he meant it absolutely. now, i agree, rush is a liar and i would have given him too much credibility to stand behind his words; but based on his words as they were originally stated, my interpretation of his statement was a valid one

see, what you have done is provided MORE information, more context to use to filter the intent of his original words
when he originally said he intended to leave the country and go to costa rica, it was not a far reach to conclude he meant it absolutely. now, i agree, rush is a liar and i would have given him too much credibility to stand behind his words; but based on his words as they were originally stated, my interpretation of his statement was a valid one

Ahh, so you finally admit it, albiet I'm sure in error.

when he originally said he intended to leave the country and go to costa rica, it was not a far reach to conclude he meant it absolutely

So, justabubba, YOU'RE interpretation of it is that he meant absolutely. Thanks for FINALLY answering.

Now, here's your confusion.

When I have given you more words to give you insight into his context I am not FILTERING his words, I am giving you the context of them from the stance of REALITY. You see, Rush Limbaugh does not do his show for the good of Media Matter's and liberals seeking nothing but to grab onto a straw, twist it, and attack with it. He does it primarily for those that support and routinely listen to his show (thus increasing ratings, increasing revenues, etc).

THOSE people, the people who are the AUDIENCE, the people who the words are being said to, do not live in the deranged bubble you apparently live in with regards to Rush Limbaugh. They are ones that actually listen to all his words, regardless of if they agree with them, and then are able to make an INFORMED and adult judgement of what he says.

Your, frankly idiotic, ignorant, and laughable opinion was based on nothing but your own bigoted and biased views against the man. People like Reverend, or mine, or even CC's words (people from three different political spectrums) all actually acknowledged that taking a singular line from a man that talks 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, and assuming it can be understood in a bubble is idiotic and in no way will give you the meaning.

You say I have to filter, I disagree. I say I looked at his words completely independently and objectively.

"I'll just tell you this, if this passes and it's five years from now and all that stuff gets implemented -- I am leaving the country. I'll go to Costa Rica."

Those were his words. Those alone tell us nothing aside from the fact he implied he'd leave the country and go to Costa Rica. That alone does not say it was for health care. That alone doesn't say it was absolutely. That alone simply says leave, costa rica, and that's it.

IF you want to use the term filter then I shall, not because I agree with its use but because it will perhaps help you grasp this though I sincerely doubt you want to...being intellectually honest isn't your goal here.

If I am filtering his words to come out with new meaning to them, my filtering is being done based on context of things he's STATED, both prior to and post his comment, that illuminate his meaning.

YOUR filtering is based on nothing but your disgust, dislike, and distaste for the man and thus your personal biases.

MY filtering is based on actual evidence.

YOUR filtering is based on prejudices.

And yet you have the gall to say OTHERS are misrepresenting what he is saying.

By your OWN admission, your entire purpose in this thread has been to suggest somehow that universally his words unquestionably meant he was going to leave, as you stated yourself:

absolutely

Thus far you have provided zero evidence to give credence to your ignorant belief while I've provided much for the alternative.

Your only defense thus far is to act like a toddler who does not understand the world around him, mindlessly repeating the same sentence over and over again, somehow utterly oblivious to the fact that rather than bolster your argument it counters it.

"I'll just tell you this, if this passes and it's five years from now and all that stuff gets implemented -- I am leaving the country. I'll go to Costa Rica."

Nothing in this says absolutely, permanently, or anything of the search. Its no where. Nada. Nothing. Empty of such statements. The ONLY way one is able to suggest that it unquestionably was meant that way is to add their own context to it, their own "Filter", to come to that conclusion.

Your reposting of it does not prove your point, it obliterates it. Taken on its own, it means simply that he'd leave for an indefinite amount of time to go to Costa Rica and that's it. Taken with actual context based on his words and actions it is rather clear it was meant in regards to going for medical treatment. It is ONLY when adding biases, prejudice, and hatred to the man that you get "absolutely" out of it...as you've shown zero evidence of any other reason beyond that as to how you came to such a conclusion.

Cap't C, what interpretation were you using when you made this post?

"http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-partisan-politics-and-political-platforms/67802-limbaugh-threatens-leave-country-if-health-bill-passes-2.html#post1058609285

I am impressed that this thread is still moving.

a very bogus conclusion on your part (and because i expect you to disagree, you would now be able to say i was misrepresenting you, given the strange "logic" of your argument)
i used a context but came to an intrepretation apparently different than your own
that our interpretation of his words differ does not cause my conclusion of rush's words' intent to be invalid. in no way were his words misrepresented
again. you have taken an unsustainable position. the definition of mirepresentation works against you
play on

Tell us what context you used. Be specific.

Try to link to the right "Captain". :lol::lol::lol:

Oh, I see, that was another Captain with a cartoon avatar. My mistake. It was a great response however! :)

It is certainly understandable why Rush would choose Costa Rica to go to,

Their health care system, along with 35 other countries, are rated higher than the US.

"1 France
2 Italy
3 San Marino
4 Andorra
5 Malta
6 Singapore
7 Spain
8 Oman
9 Austria
10 Japan
11 Norway
12 Portugal