• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Islam a religion of peace?

Is Islam a religion of peace?

• Total voters
Well, if you are calling me anti-gay and anti-women, you are lying for purposes of making a personal attack that will fly under the infraction radar...
By diverting from the issue at hand, which is Islam, is defending it. And many of the well known problems with Islam, apart from terrorism, is the attitude towards women, education and Gays. If you don't know that then you shouldn't involve yourself in the discussion.
You also didn't address the hypocrisy of your position, as if quoting only a portion of my post makes the rest vanish.
Did the remainder of your post have anything to do with the topic? If not then it deserved to be ignored.

Christianity has been mostly a force of peace, especially in the United States. Ask yourself who ended segregation and Jim Crow Laws.
Christians started segregation and jim crow laws in the USA? and the slave trade, colonization and genocide worldwide, ethnic cleansing on 6 continents, the holocaust, WW1 and WW2....the list goes on

what exactly are you blaming muslims for again?? two buildings being blown up...15 years ago???

how many buildings did Christians destroy during world war 2?

Christians started segregation and jim crow laws in the USA? and the slave trade, colonization and genocide worldwide, ethnic cleansing on 6 continents, the holocaust, WW1 and WW2....the list goes on

what exactly are you blaming muslims for again?? two buildings being blown up...15 years ago???

how many buildings did Christians destroy during world war 2?

Look at the poll. As Bernie Sanders usually says, "the debate is over!"

You must have never attended Sunday Bible Study. The "sword" is figurative language.

You also need to stop cherry-picking Bible verses.

From the same website you quoted:

“Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. 53 Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+26:52-53&version=NIV

That might have been true had it not been for the New Testament.

It is true even with the new testament. Don't get me wrong, the new testament is more fluffy than the old, but it does not excuse or fix all the atrocities of the old. Yes Christians are less violent than they were just 50 years ago, but that has more to do with social advances and is happening despite the religion. Look to third world countries that have a Christian component and you'll see the trend still continues.

At the risk of sounding political, I ask you to think about the current trump rallies. Where do you think the majority of his violent supporters fall on the question of religion? Yes, I may be stereotyping, but if your intellectually honest you'll admit they are most likely christian. Vocal christians.

There are so many examples to pull from the news of Christian based violence over the last half decade that defending them as peaceful religion is like the mother called into the principal 's office yet again to loudly and vigorously deny any wrong doing of her offspring. The good done by a percentage of Christians does not negate the evil done by others.

With that last post I find I may have strayed from the topic of the thread. As violent religions go Islam is several degrees worse than christianity. The way they treat their own people and how they wish to treat the rest of non Muslims is nothing short of the dark ages. There are the words that they say they will follow from their text and then there are their actions. Their laws. Their ruthlessness to their own family members who wish to follow a different path. Their willingness to inflict harm on those who they see as opposition to their beliefs.

As ideologies go, this religion is incompatible with peace. It is incompatible with progress. It is incompatible with love. In short it is incompatible with anyone or anything not held in sway with it's wishes.

You conveniently left out 10:35, 36, and 37.

Please look up the word allegory.

why should I? If a muslim asked you to read a bunch of passages advocating peace in the quran would you? and then ignore all the violent passages in the quran like your asking me (an atheist) to do for your bible?? Like almost all right wing christians, I doubt you know anything about islam other than hate speech.

why should I? If a muslim asked you to read a bunch of passages advocating peace in the quran would you? and then ignore all the violent passages the quran like your asking me (an atheist) to do for your bible?? Like almost all right wing christians, I doubt you anything about islam other than hate speech.

Right wing Christians?

Hear what your atheists buddy like Bill Maher and Sam Harris are saying about Islam.

With that last post I find I may have strayed from the topic of the thread. As violent religions go Islam is several degrees worse than christianity. The way they treat their own people and how they wish to treat the rest of non Muslims is nothing short of the dark ages. There are the words that they say they will follow from their text and then there are their actions. Their laws. Their ruthlessness to their own family members who wish to follow a different path. Their willingness to inflict harm on those who they see as opposition to their beliefs.

As ideologies go, this religion is incompatible with peace. It is incompatible with progress. It is incompatible with love. In short it is incompatible with anyone or anything not held in sway with it's wishes.

as oppose to?

You go ahead and bet your life on it, I won't or my family's.

Instead you will bet you and your family's lives on a racist demagogue that wants to bang his daughter. Go figure.

as oppose to?

As opposed to nuthin......the question is wither or not Islam is a religion of peace. Debating on what religions might be worse or better ..... irrelevant.

Right wing Christians?
its not just right wing Christians.... right wing hindus can be just as bad
Hear what your atheists buddy like Bill Maher and Sam Harris are saying about Islam.
thats the great thing about atheism there is no magic book we all follow, and we can believe whatever we want, for example Ayn rand was an atheist, but heres what the majority of atheists thinks about them

Anti-religious prophet Sam Harris has, once again, exposed the conservatism at the heart of the so-called “New Atheist” movement.

In the November episode of his “Waking Up” podcast, Sam Harris spoke with seasoned neoconservative pundit Douglas Murray about Islam, liberalism and the refugee crisis. Harris frequently flexes his liberal bona fides, yet the two spent much of the conversation in agreement. The neuroscientist even called the right-wing writer “one of the best people on this topic."

The title of the episode alone, “On the Maintenance of Civilization,” says a lot. Harris is wont to argue that Muslims threaten the very fabric of Western civilization.

Most striking in the approximately two-hour-long discussion were comments Harris made about renowned left-wing intellectual Noam Chomsky and far-right Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson.

“Given a choice between Noam Chomsky and Ben Carson, in terms of the totality of their understanding of what’s happening now in the world, I’d vote for Ben Carson every time,” Harris said in the podcast, without hesitation.

“Ben Carson is a dangerously deluded religious imbecile… The fact that he is a candidate for president is a scandal,” Harris continued. “But at the very least he can be counted on to sort of get this one right. He understands that jihadists are the enemy.”
Noam Chomsky versus Islamophobe Sam Harris: Has the New Atheist Movement Been Hijacked by Bigots? | Alternet

Science says more than 95 percent of terrorist attacks are motivated by politics and revenge. Atheists say, “That’s bull****!” And not just atheist luminaries such as Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and Bill Maher. I refer to the several hundred hostile responses from atheists to my previous AlterNet piece, in which I cited the most exhaustive and comprehensive study of suicide terrorism ever conducted.

According to the Suicide Terrorism Database at Flinders University in Australia, which accounts for all suicide bombings committed in the Middle East between 1981 and 2006, it is politics, not religious fanaticism, that leads to terrorists blowing themselves up. The study shows that:

“…though religion can play a vital role in the recruitment and motivation of potential future suicide bombers, their real driving-force is a cocktail of motivations including politics, humiliation, revenge, retaliation and altruism. The configuration of these motivations is related to the specific circumstances of the political conflict behind the rise of suicide attacks in different countries.”

The findings of the Flinders University study are supported by the research conducted at the University of Chicago’s Project on Security and Terrorism, which was partly funded by the Defense Department’s Threat Reduction Agency. The authors, Robert A. Pape and James K. Feldman, examined more than 2,200 suicide attacks across the world from 1980 to present. Their research reveals that more than 90 percent of suicide attacks are directed at an occupying force. Of the 524 suicide terrorists carried out in the past 30 years, more than half of the attackers were secular. Let that rock your worldview.

More than 95 percent of all suicide attacks have a strategic goal in common—to compel an occupying force to withdraw from territory the terrorists prize. From Lebanon to Sri Lanka to the West Bank to Chechnya, the central goal of every suicide terrorist campaign has been to resist military occupation by a democracy. Pape, who is also the author of Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism, rejects outright the view that Islam is the root of the problem. “Rather, the taproot is American military policy.” The notion that Islamic fundamentalism is bent on world domination is “pure fantasy,” he argues, warning that an attempt by the West to force Muslim societies to transform “is likely to dramatically increase the threat we face.”
Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and atheists? ugly Islamophobia - Salon.com

its not just right wing Christians.... right wing hindus can be just as bad

thats the great thing about atheism there is no magic book we all follow, and we can believe whatever we want, for example Ayn rand was an atheist, but heres what the majority of atheists thinks about them

Noam Chomsky versus Islamophobe Sam Harris: Has the New Atheist Movement Been Hijacked by Bigots? | Alternet

Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and atheists? ugly Islamophobia - Salon.com

I would vote for Ben Carson anytime over Noam Chomsky.

Noam Chomsky is an anti-semite Jew that hates America.

What about those who are neither Christian or Muslim? Can they be critical of either? Or both?

Are these Christian quotations from the New Testament?
Anyone can be critical of Christian or Muslim. I was just pointing out how hypocritical it is of a christian to criticize the bad things in the Koran when the Bible has it just as bad. The Bible consists of both testaments. I have yet to see a bible where they have edited the 1st testament out.

You can quit your wondering now. The islamists are murdering people all over the world because they want to spread islam. That's it, as in Occam's Razor.

The Ivory Coast was never responsible for bombing anyone. Ivory Coast: 16 dead in Grand Bassam beach resort attack - BBC News
This was done by Al Qaeda. How do you know or not know if any of these militants were from the ME. I wonder because Islamic terrorism has grown in direct correlation with American hegemony.

The discussion's over homicides, not rape...and the homicide numbers apply to women just as much as men. My point stands.

The discussion is over whether or not Islam is a religion of peace. Rape is a violent crime.

why should I? If a muslim asked you to read a bunch of passages advocating peace in the quran would you? and then ignore all the violent passages in the quran like your asking me (an atheist) to do for your bible?? Like almost all right wing christians, I doubt you know anything about islam other than hate speech.

There are no passages in the Qur'an that advocate peace in lieu of war. There is one from Mohamed's early (Meccan) period that says to be kind to weary travelers and another that says you can be kind to those who don't fight against your religion, but that's about it. Many of the remaining 6000+ verses spew hatred and intolerance towards infidels. The later the "revelation", the more likely it is to advocate war. The last verse (to the best of my knowledge) to speak of war is 9:29, which served as the blueprint for the conquests that would occur during the next 100 years.

Anyone can be critical of Christian or Muslim. I was just pointing out how hypocritical it is of a christian to criticize the bad things in the Koran when the Bible has it just as bad. The Bible consists of both testaments. I have yet to see a bible where they have edited the 1st testament out.

As one who has read the Qur'an (some of it in Arabic) and is reasonably familiar with the bible, I can assure you that the two are nothing alike. The bible may contain descriptions of violence, but it does not tell followers to make war, especially against an indentifiable current group of people. The Qur'an does.

Back
Top Bottom