• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Bernie Sanders a coward?

Is Bernie Sanders a coward?

• Total voters
Bernie Sanders Applied for 'Conscientious Objector' Status During Vietnam, Campaign Confirms - ABC News

Isn't a conscientious objector just another way to say you are a coward?

How can this man be fit to be the commander in chief?

I can't speak for Bernie Sanders.

However, C.O. is not another word for coward.

My brother in law served in Vietnam as a Conscientious Objector. He was a front line medic. He carried no weapon, but faced all the dangers faced by every other soldier in his unit.

In Basic, they pushed the CO's even harder and gave them ten times the usual ration of **** to try to force them to drop their CO status... and some did. Those who remained were committed to their principles. My BIL was one such.

He bandaged wounded soldiers while bullets were whizzing around his head, and once barely survived being on a river patrol boat that got hit by a mortar round.

If you wish to call him a coward, by all means go ahead: he will just smile at you and turn away. A real coward would not have the strength of character to maintain his principles amid all the carnage he experienced in Vietnam.

In a just war, if there is such a thing, I would have a hard time dealing with my own conscience knowing that I had some other poor slob go in harms way in my place.

Vietnam, and Iraq were not just wars in my opinion. I can see why people would not want to go if they were drafted.

My BIL was a CO, but it didn't spare him from going to Vietnam as a front line medic and getting shot at and nearly blown up.

I suppose that is the difference between coming from an influential family and just being a regular Joe.

I can't speak for Bernie Sanders.

However, C.O. is not another word for coward.

My brother in law served in Vietnam as a Conscientious Objector. He was a front line medic. He carried no weapon, but faced all the dangers faced by every other soldier in his unit.

In Basic, they pushed the CO's even harder and gave them ten times the usual ration of **** to try to force them to drop their CO status... and some did. Those who remained were committed to their principles. My BIL was one such.

He bandaged wounded soldiers while bullets were whizzing around his head, and once barely survived being on a river patrol boat that got hit by a mortar round.

If you wish to call him a coward, by all means go ahead: he will just smile at you and turn away. A real coward would not have the strength of character to maintain his principles amid all the carnage he experienced in Vietnam.

A CO is only a coward if he/she objects because of fear. There were those for sure. Everyone else holds true to his/her convictions, which, under certain circumstances, can be very difficult. You got to stand up for what you believe. I applaud true COs, as I do those who went into harms way, for whatever reason and regardless how just the war may have been. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Good assessment overall. I don't think I could vote for Ole Bern, but I like the fact that he is not a war hawk.
Thank you.

I value your opinion in these matters.

But there's something I've heard over the years: The guy least likely to want war, is a soldier".

I've never had the occasion to serve, but I suspect there's some truth in that.

That position would be worth something if he was a warmonger, which anybody can tell by listening to him for two minutes that he is not.

Irrelevant what his position is it's what the office stands for. If he sits in the Oval office he is going to have to send men/women into combat, thats the job.

Irrelevant what his position is it's what the office stands for. If he sits in the Oval office he is going to have to send men/women into combat, thats the job.

No, I meant your position would be worth something if he was a warmonger, which demonstrably he is not. In any case your post is meaningless. It's like saying that someone who is against raising taxes is unfit for the role of a job in which raising taxes may be a part of his job. Or that someone who is a warmonger is unfit for the Presidency because he may have to use diplomacy.

Last edited:
I am confused. Why did you volunteer to go to Afghanistan?
I responded to the comment of "sending other people's kids to die in a foreign field is shameful". You obviously disagree with that comment also since you volunteered. Why volunteer if you think that person who sent you there was shameful? Perhaps you wanted to take part in a shameful operation for the money.

You don't know me so I will ignore you ad hominens.
Some wars are more moral to me than others. I did not mention Afghanistan which I consider a stupid war with no international legality. (2,381 and counting Americans died there.) Like Vietnam. I mentioned Rwanda and Burundi. Two former UN trusteeships that the international community owed something and which Bill Clinton called his non-involvement the biggest mistake of his administration. I mentioned Cambodia. Have you gone to the killing fields and seen the towers of skulls? Read about babies being smashed against trees to save bullets? Sorry if that offends you but I stand by my comments. ESPECIALLY now that the US has a volunteer military. 2 million innocent people died in the 3 countries I mentioned.

You said:

I have little patience for non-pacifists who refuse to assist others in need by taking up arms.

In a thread where we're talking about Bernie Sander's conscientious objection in the Vietnam war. I want to know what the **** YOU have done to help people in other countries in need. When have YOU picked up a gun and gone to their aid? You call people out as cowards for not being forced against their will to kill people they don't know for a political cause that doesn't help their country in any way, shape, or form. I also disagree with the war in Afghanistan, but the difference is I VOLUNTEERED FOR IT, so it was my burden to bear.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're just a kid running his mouth calling people cowards when you've done absolutely nothing to lift yourself out of that definition.

You said:

I have little patience for non-pacifists who refuse to assist others in need by taking up arms.

In a thread where we're talking about Bernie Sander's conscientious objection in the Vietnam war. I want to know what the **** YOU have done to help people in other countries in need. When have YOU picked up a gun and gone to their aid? You call people out as cowards for not being forced against their will to kill people they don't know for a political cause that doesn't help their country in any way, shape, or form. I also disagree with the war in Afghanistan, but the difference is I VOLUNTEERED FOR IT, so it was my burden to bear.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're just a kid running his mouth calling people cowards when you've done absolutely nothing to lift yourself out of that definition.

Were you already a member before you got sent over? I think that is what he was asking.

Were you already a member before you got sent over? I think that is what he was asking.

Yet I joined in 2005 when I knew we were in Iraq and Afghanistan and would continue to be such when I finished training. What does it matter? I simply do not think refusing to be forced to murder someone else you don't even know makes one a coward.

Last edited:
Yet I joined in 2005 when I knew we were in Iraq and Afghanistan and would continue to be such when I finished training. What does it matter? I simply do not think refusing to be forced to murder someone else you don't even know makes one a coward.

Geeeees! I was simply clarifying what the guy was possibly asking you in that post.

I don't really care what your beliefs are.

But.....there is a difference between volunteering to go to Irag/Afghanistan than being sent.

You volunteered for service, but were actually sent after after join had joined.

You didn't volunteer for Iraq/Afghanistan..........................you were sent.

I smell a bit of stolen valor in your posts, which is pretty shameful................... because just making yourself available was all that was needed to be appreciated.

Isn't a conscientious objector just another way to say you are a coward?

How can this man be fit to be the commander in chief?

Wow! Talk about backfiring. It appears your ridiculous libel of Bernie Sanders is approved by 10% of voters. I'm guessing you didn't realise just how far out of touch you are with normality when you made the poll.

No. He did what my papaw did. And if my papaw hadn't done that, I wouldn't have been born. So naturally I'm going to vehemently disagree with you, OP.

Wow! Talk about backfiring. It appears your ridiculous libel of Bernie Sanders is approved by 10% of voters. I'm guessing you didn't realise just how far out of touch you are with normality when you made the poll.

If someone created a poll that stated " Is [insert name of any Republican] a coward?" The number of people that would vote "yes" would be substantially higher than any Democrat.

This forum clearly has more liberal posters but that does not make them more right.

It isn't libel when you dodge the draft.

The majority of Sanders' policy are cowardly as well from him wanting to fine people that do not want or need Obamacare, his promotion on negotiating with terrorists, his immoral stance on abortion, etc...

He's a coward and so are his tweaker supporters.

How many of his supporters have od during his rally? Were they plants from Bernie or just sick freaks getting high during a campaign rally?

They just want want free stuff! How about we socialize billionaire dick and Make a master race!

If someone created a poll that stated " Is [insert name of any Republican] a coward?" The number of people that would vote "yes" would be substantially higher than any Democrat.

This forum clearly has more liberal posters but that does not make them more right.

The majority of Sanders' policy are cowardly as well from him wanting to fine people that do not want or need Obamacare, his promotion on negotiating with terrorists, his immoral stance on abortion, etc...

How many of his supporters have od during his rally? Were they plants from Bernie or just sick freaks getting high during a campaign rally?

old.jpg

Obviously these polls are not scientific however 24% of the forum users believe Donald Trump is the worlds biggest idiot compared to 10% of forum users who believe Bernie Sanders is a coward.

Donald Trump is not the worlds biggest idiot. In fact you can argue he is one of the worlds greatest marketing genius.

Just guessing but if someone created a poll asking if Donald Trump is a coward, it would probably be more 60-40 in favor of Trump being a coward. When you compare Trumps resume with Sanders however it is no contest. Sanders is a much bigger coward compared to Trump.

Your stupid thread expressing your stupid idea backfired. Quit getting so bent out of shape about it.

How many people do you want to kill on Obama's order?

Sanders is a much bigger coward compared to Trump.

No, Trump is a much bigger asshole than Sanders. Sanders handles hard criticism far, far, far better than Trump. Trump has the thinnest skin of any politician I've ever seen in my lifetime. He can't even take canned questions in a debate without lashing out at the person asking them.

No, Trump is a much bigger asshole than Sanders. Sanders handles hard criticism far, far, far better than Trump. Trump has the thinnest skin of any politician I've ever seen in my lifetime. He can't even take canned questions in a debate without lashing out at the person asking them.

Trump isn't a politician, hes a businessman.

I do not care what he did 40 years ago.

I say he is a coward TODAY because in every debate I have seen him in, he lets Hillary talk over him all the time.

He also does not take advantage of some openings Hillary gives him.

He is way too passive in the debates, and let's Hillary dominate him. Maybe that is his kink.

The doddering old fool couldn't even handle a couple of black lives matter twits.

You said:

1. Actually I am retired Army and served from 1977 to 2002, a relatively quiet period. Was Bn S-2 during Desert Storm so my assigned weapon was a pistol. Surprised that you wrote "When have you picked up a gun........". Normally a gun is a smooth bore crew served weapon like a howitzer that you don't "pick up". I would never call a rifle a gun. That was certainly beaten into me in training.
2. I would never call anyone a coward. I simply stated that I have little patience with people who seem hypocritical. You should not leap to conclusions.
3. I would never encourage forcing someone to kill someone they don't know for a political cause. I was referring to peacekeeping activities which have the goal of preventing others from murdering civilians or your fellow military personnel. I would hope that the military would kill people when those people are trying to kill others, not because of their "political cause". We have enough intolerance in this world.

Back
Top Bottom