• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Indian Wells bee invasion

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
This is the craziest thing I've ever seen. A swarm of bees took over Court 1, repeatedly stinging Carlos Alcaraz and even stinging the chair ump.

Play is currently suspended.

This is the craziest thing I've ever seen. A swarm of bees took over Court 1, repeatedly stinging Carlos Alcaraz and even stinging the chair ump.

giphy.gif

Where's the save the bees lady when you need her? Off saving some other bees probably.

The beekeeper who is getting rid of them has become an instant celebrity as he walked around the stands taking care of stragglers.

People were taking selfies with him. 🤣

They're trying to get going again but there's still bees on the court.

Bill Gates is in the crowd and he just laughed through the whole thing.

We have a lot of bees in our yard , some days. They bring joy to me. :)
I grew up on a farm with a large raspberry field. In the spring when they bloomed you could hear the humming from the house.

We'd have to go in there and work. Never got stung once 😇

Whoa! That's bizarre!

Holy cow! No thanks. I can't even imagine...
This is what the business end looks like. Seems overkill.

1000009961.jpg

Schmidt describes the sting as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric",[3] though the duration of pain from the sting is short-lived, lasting only approximately five minutes.[2] The composition of tarantula hawk venom is unknown.[9]"

Doing some DIY near our garden a few days back and when I took off my shirt to shower afterwards I found I had a hitchhiker under my shirt. Stung me on the chest before I saw him. Sting got a little infected so still a bit sore even days later. I like what bees do, but best the little misters keep clear of me or we might come to blows! Hopefully before they sting me next time.

I grew up on a farm with a large raspberry field. In the spring when they bloomed you could hear the humming from the house.

We'd have to go in there and work. Never got stung once 😇
That sounds wonderful. I've been all over my yard, 2.5 acres. Never been stung yet. Those little guys are one of life's pleasures. :)

This is what the business end looks like. Seems overkill.

View attachment 67498470

Schmidt describes the sting as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric",[3] though the duration of pain from the sting is short-lived, lasting only approximately five minutes.[2] The composition of tarantula hawk venom is unknown.[9]"
I hate bees. I've been stung by honey bees and wasps and yellow jackets - but that guy is an absolute monster in comparison. I hope I never see one in real life.

... the little misters keep clear of me ...

You'll only find male bees in the hive. They're extremely lazy, just eating and having sex while the she-bees do all the work.

That sounds wonderful. I've been all over my yard, 2.5 acres. Never been stung yet. Those little guys are one of life's pleasures. :)
There's been a small nest over my head on my balcony for several summers. I don't bother them; they don't bother me.

I hate bees. I've been stung by honey bees and wasps and yellow jackets - but that guy is an absolute monster in comparison. I hope I never see one in real life.

Wasps aren't bees. Though recent thinking is that they're valuable as pollinators too.

You'll only find male bees in the hive. They're extremely lazy, just eating and having sex while the she-bees do all the work.
She-bees!! That'll explain it then. Angry little creatures

This guy rescued an injured Bumblebee and made it a little home.

I don't like bees. I appreciate they have a natural purpose, and unlike some I don't freak out when I see them, but I would prefer that they stay out of my sight. Few things are more annoying than when a bee is flying around your food or drink and you have to either try to shoe it away without pissing it off or hope it loses interest.

Never got stung by a bee. Got zapped by a couple of scorpions in El Paso. Not fun.
I have friends in San Antonio. The first time I was there they warned me never to pick an "elastic" up from the carpet.

Never got stung by a bee. Got zapped by a couple of scorpions in El Paso. Not fun.

The thought of getting popped by a scorpion scares the shit outta me. Years ago I moved in with an ex, who told me as I was moving in that she occasionally had scorpions but was reassured by the pest/nuisance control company that they'd caulked or done whatever was necessary to prevent them from entering the home. I wasn't so convinced.

Got popped by a variety of stinging insects: bees, wasps, and worst, ground hornets. Those last ones are some mean mother ****ers. Was hiking in northern Georgia along the Chattooga River as part of group of about maybe 10 of us. Toward the front of the line, someone wasn't watching their step and their boot landed on a root that crossed the trail, which had a little gap where they'd established a nest. Before I know it I hear "Ah!" "Ow!" "Shiiiit!" "Run! Go! Go!" No sooner do I hear "Go" when I get popped three or four times. At least they weren't murder hornets.

Back
Top Bottom