• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Trump loses again, what happens to the GOP?

I hate to invoke Godwin's law, and no, I don't think Trump is exactly a Hitler, but an adequate example doesn't come to mind, so...a Trump doesn't just come along once a day or something. Once Trump is gone, the GOP isn't just going to find another Trump. He's a perfect storm, of sorts. There will be other crazies, but there won't be another Trump for some time, probably decades. I think the GOP will try, but they'll be fairly aimless with Dear Leader gone. There will be chinks in the armor and those cracks will grow. They'll sort of be aimless for a while, trying for the same fire they've had since 2015 or so, but it just won't be the same.
I agree, precisely. "Trumpism" dies with Trump.

Next Whackjob steps up. It can't be good. I suspect Trump just drops dead suddenly one day, and the next lunatic takes over.
But they have no backup plan. It’s all about Trump, the whole cult. Online else can grift and bullshit like he does.

Let’s make sure Trump loses as step 1.

He may try for another run in 2028 if he’s still alive…but as long as he loses, that’s what matters.

As for the GOP 🤷‍♀️

They’ve got a bunch of housecleaning to do before many middle of the road individuals will consider them a viable option again.

But they have no backup plan. It’s all about Trump, the whole cult. Online else can grift and bullshit like he does.

That's how I feel about it too. MAGA changes with every change Trump makes.

The vax is amazing because Trump created it, the vax is HORRIBLE because Biden is asking people to take it, the vax is...maybe okay because Trump took it? The vax is LITERALLY EVIL because Faucci!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, the latest edition of the vax in 2024 is...maybe good? Because now Trump said something good about it? .......... ?

Bud Light is bad and for pansies, NEVER DRINK IT AGAIN! Bud Light is great! Trump said so now!

Twitter is great, Twitter is horrible, Twitter is okay again, X is great, X is outdated and Truth Social is great.

TikTok should be taken down because of Chinaaaaaaaaaa, TikTok is okay again, TikTok should be taken down again, TikTok is okay again because Biden is trying to take it down.

It is literally ALWAYS about what Trump personally thinks at any given moment.

When Trump goes, MAGA starts wandering around going, "What are we supposed to think today? We're supposed to be angry. What are we supposed to be angry about today?"

This is just how I see it.

One of my musing 'what-if's' involves William F. Buckley Jr. riffing on the subject of Trump and Trumpists. He çould do a half-hour unscripted, without repeating himself.

You had to be amazed by that guy. I remember a clip of him on long hair, it was a 10 minute diatribe that took apart the people opposed to long hair as being shallow and vane.

Nothing. He'll just be a two time loser. No other changes.
I picture a bunch of nuts with guns hiding out for a while and taking pot shots at who they thinks responsible.

I hate to invoke Godwin's law, and no, I don't think Trump is exactly a Hitler, but an adequate example doesn't come to mind, so...a Trump doesn't just come along once a day or something. Once Trump is gone, the GOP isn't just going to find another Trump. He's a perfect storm, of sorts. There will be other crazies, but there won't be another Trump for some time, probably decades. I think the GOP will try, but they'll be fairly aimless with Dear Leader gone. There will be chinks in the armor and those cracks will grow. They'll sort of be aimless for a while, trying for the same fire they've had since 2015 or so, but it just won't be the same.
I think there will a lot of screaming and gnashing of teeth, then fighting over the table scraps of political power they imagine they still have. Kari Lake will announce she is the new trump, then will quickly be forgotten. Gym Jordan will launch in investigation into something, Marjorie Taylor Greene will be mad and loud about something. Lauren Boobert will continue to lose. Gaetz will fondly recall his young victims.

Donald will cry wolf once again, and hurl ketchup bigly.

The vax is amazing because Trump created it, the vax is HORRIBLE because Biden is asking people to take it, the vax is...maybe okay because Trump took it? The vax is LITERALLY EVIL because Faucci!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, the latest edition of the vax in 2024 is...maybe good? Because now Trump said something good about it? .......... ?

Bud Light is bad and for pansies, NEVER DRINK IT AGAIN! Bud Light is great! Trump said so now!

Twitter is great, Twitter is horrible, Twitter is okay again, X is great, X is outdated and Truth Social is great.

TikTok should be taken down because of Chinaaaaaaaaaa, TikTok is okay again, TikTok should be taken down again, TikTok is okay again because Biden is trying to take it down.

When Trump goes, MAGA starts wandering around going, "What are we supposed to think today? We're supposed to be angry. What are we supposed to be angry about today?"

That's why the doctors with letters behind their names call it a 'cult of personality'

There's no real substance, just attraction

Elon Musk good, electric vehicles bad. Operation Warp Speed good, vaccine rushed through development bad.

It might be premature in asking this question, as we have no idea what will happen in November, but what will happen to the GOP that has gone all in on Trump if he loses in November? Trump will be involved in multiple court problems, but will the GOP continue under the control of Trump and the MAGA wing of the party, or at some point will they revert to being a conservative party similar but updated from before Trump? We know if he loses there will multiple court cases trying to overthrow such a loss and even some violence from his supporters, but after that is over, what then? Will he GOP become the party of people like Greene and Gaetz, or will it move on from them?
Don't worry, Putin will guide them through it, like he's been doing all along.

GBql8r7WQAAUEDF.png

I can't think of anyone who could take his place. DeSatan tried and failed, miserably.
Well for one thing, to be a Donnie you have to be a fat pink powderpuff with ducktails. That is not really a "look" people would try to duplicate purposefully. Then you have to be totally and completely shameless to a level that nobody else reaches no matter how hard they try.

Well for one thing, to be a Donnie you have to be a fat pink powderpuff with ducktails. That is not really a "look" people would try to duplicate purposefully. Then you have to be totally and completely shameless to a level that nobody else reaches no matter how hard they try.
The Trump cult had better start putting up "wanted" posters at all circuses.

The Democrat party is in chaos.

It might be premature in asking this question, as we have no idea what will happen in November, but what will happen to the GOP that has gone all in on Trump if he loses in November?
Trump will spend the rest of his life insisting that he won, and he was cheated. This will further corrode trust, a long-term trend in the US.

Republican elites (elected officials, think tankers etc) will go along with his bullshit, as they will still be terrified of being primaried if they cross him. They will continue to pursue anti-democratic grievance politics, at least as long as the courts tolerate their corrosive behavior.

Republican donors will probably just go back to donating to elected officials who they think are most likely to cut their taxes and remove regulations.

The electorate, across the spectrum, is splintered. The evangelicals will continue to focus primarily on abortion. The conspiracy nuts will probably turn to sporadic and ineffectual political violence. Moderate Republicans will probably be disgusted with So Much Losing, especially after being stuck with an immoral malignant narcissistic for so long -- but there isn't really anywhere for them to go.

Current trends in the electorate probably won't change much. All the forces pushing demographic changes in the Republican electorate won't change because of one election. Republican voters are still going to continue to get older and pass on; they'll continue to lose women and suburban voters; they've maxed out rural voters. The Hispanic vote will likely go up and down by a few points, that's been happening on and off for a few decades.

I.e. As long as the elites believe they can get mileage out of grievance politics and anti-democratic measures, I don't expect much to change. Losing one national election is not likely to accomplish that.

If the MAGA commies get stomped, there's a possibility that actual conservatives can regain control of the Party and try to bring back some normalcy. But it may be hard for them to walk back from the cliff they've stepped up.

Elon Musk good, electric vehicles bad. Operation Warp Speed good, vaccine rushed through development bad.
And don't forget of course: democrats good; republicans bad before republicans good and democrats bad; abortion access good; abortion access bad.

I've asked myself this question many times, and I think @PNW Guy is correct.
Well the left is so far left you can't even see the middle. The craziest things come from far left progressives who are driving the democrat party and Joe Bidens administration.
Every republican is so far away from the democrats it's impossible for the lefties to think anything but that they are horrible.
But dems are killing babies and setting violent criminals out on the street to kill. I see how it works with them now.

If Trump loses again, what happens to the GOP?​

Just make sure Trump loses. We'll worry about the goddamned GOP afterward.

Trump will lose....

The question is what will happen to the country.

Remember, January 6 was a rehearsal.

"Stand up and stand by!"
I don't think we'll get that far. My money is on gigantic riots on Nov 6 no matter who wins. We know beyond doubt Trump will invoke the Insurrection Act and use the military to squash the rioters who voted against him and we know that Biden won't use the Act. If Biden wins it likely will be up to the local authorities and state national guard to quell the destruction.

It might be premature in asking this question, as we have no idea what will happen in November, but what will happen to the GOP that has gone all in on Trump if he loses in November? Trump will be involved in multiple court problems, but will the GOP continue under the control of Trump and the MAGA wing of the party, or at some point will they revert to being a conservative party similar but updated from before Trump? We know if he loses there will multiple court cases trying to overthrow such a loss and even some violence from his supporters, but after that is over, what then? Will he GOP become the party of people like Greene and Gaetz, or will it move on from them?
What happens??? double down

Back
Top Bottom