• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Trump loses again, what happens to the GOP?

WisconIndependent

Reaction score
It might be premature in asking this question, as we have no idea what will happen in November, but what will happen to the GOP that has gone all in on Trump if he loses in November? Trump will be involved in multiple court problems, but will the GOP continue under the control of Trump and the MAGA wing of the party, or at some point will they revert to being a conservative party similar but updated from before Trump? We know if he loses there will multiple court cases trying to overthrow such a loss and even some violence from his supporters, but after that is over, what then? Will he GOP become the party of people like Greene and Gaetz, or will it move on from them?

Next Whackjob steps up. It can't be good. I suspect Trump just drops dead suddenly one day, and the next lunatic takes over.

I've asked myself this question many times, and I think @PNW Guy is correct.

It might be premature in asking this question, as we have no idea what will happen in November, but what will happen to the GOP that has gone all in on Trump if he loses in November? Trump will be involved in multiple court problems, but will the GOP continue under the control of Trump and the MAGA wing of the party, or at some point will they revert to being a conservative party similar but updated from before Trump? We know if he loses there will multiple court cases trying to overthrow such a loss and even some violence from his supporters, but after that is over, what then? Will he GOP become the party of people like Greene and Gaetz, or will it move on from them?

Trump will lose....

The question is what will happen to the country.

Remember, January 6 was a rehearsal.

"Stand up and stand by!"

Next Whackjob steps up. It can't be good. I suspect Trump just drops dead suddenly one day, and the next lunatic takes over.

I hate to invoke Godwin's law, and no, I don't think Trump is exactly a Hitler, but an adequate example doesn't come to mind, so...a Trump doesn't just come along once a day or something. Once Trump is gone, the GOP isn't just going to find another Trump. He's a perfect storm, of sorts. There will be other crazies, but there won't be another Trump for some time, probably decades. I think the GOP will try, but they'll be fairly aimless with Dear Leader gone. There will be chinks in the armor and those cracks will grow. They'll sort of be aimless for a while, trying for the same fire they've had since 2015 or so, but it just won't be the same.

Your projection is far too reasonable.

The GOP IS MAGA< MAGA is the GOP.

When Trump loses, there will be war. The GOP will be the general command.

But forget operating as a political party as we know it. Even if things go smooth, what WAS the GOP is history.

I suspect some small, regionalized parties will form off the rump of the true Republicans that tried to run as such but life as we know it on the right side of the American political spectrum is dead

But forget operating as a political party as we know it. Even if things go smooth, what WAS the GOP is history.

I suspect some small, regionalized parties will form off the rump of the true Republicans that tried to run as such but life as we know it on the right side of the American political spectrum is dead

So you think the monster really has overcome Frankenstein?

Reactionary populism is the driving force in the Republican Party.

If one agrees that “nature abhors a vacuum”, it is a matter of “when” not “if” an heir apparent takes up the mantle…..

One of my musing 'what-if's' involves William F. Buckley Jr. riffing on the subject of Trump and Trumpists. He çould do a half-hour unscripted, without repeating himself.

Only way Trump loses if the Dems rig the election again.
Just ask the one guy on DP that knows all about that 😄

Think of the POOR wealthy folk that won't get a tax break to afford another private jet! If Trump loses, can you imagine the magnitude of their pain? America clearly will have been destroyed if there isn't another tax break for the 1%!

What happens to the country is the question?

Only way Trump loses if the Dems rig the election again.
Just ask the one guy on DP that knows all about that 😄

That's right, the Dems are going to be so super-organized, they're going to manage to rig elections so that the president is a Democrat, but they're going to allow a Republican House majority because that's just too hard to rig.

What will happen to the GOP is whatever Trump wants which is hard to say. We know he won't be able to handle a second loss but will he just give up and retire? Push his kids to take his place? Make another season of the Apprentice? Incite another insurrection? Go to jail? The possibilities are endless!

If Trump loses again I just assume Republicans will get crazier and angrier.

I posted this in another thread, but Trumpism won't die until Trump dies, literally. Trumpism is a cult of personality, period.

I can't think of anyone who could take his place. DeSatan tried and failed, miserably.

If Trump loses again I just assume Republicans will get crazier and angrier.
Talk of civil war is just violence-fantasizing, IMHO, but I could easily see a campaign of civil disobedience.
And an extreme legislative response in places where the GOP control the legislatures.

Trump will lose....

The question is what will happen to the country.

Remember, January 6 was a rehearsal.

"Stand up and stand by!"
I believe our intelligence agencies and the National Guard will be ready for the Trump cult, should they attempt another coup. Thanks to the Patriot Act, all of the cast of characters like Bannon, Stone, Manafort, etc. are under surveillance or should be, in my opinion.

Maybe they will finally hit bottom, realize they’ve been backing a truly horrible human being, and start rebuilding their party.
Nah. That not going to happen. I thk they will have to lose repeatedly - for a long while - before out really starts to sink in.

Back
Top Bottom