• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How does God(s)'s existence give life meaning?[W: 192]

Re: How does God(s)'s existence give life meaning?

My opinion of your planet is not appropriate for me to post here. Pathetic really, and that's why we closed our Embassy.

Actually, if you review my posts you'll detect that I don't believe in eternal life. I was just trying to explain why "believing in god" gives life meaning.

But you do admit that the belief in eternal life means we are not of this planet. All earthly living things die and are replaced by new ones. It's how life works here.

Sorry, but that is a fallacy. Please look it up, it's been explained to you at least twice now why. It is YOUR opinion that God exists. Can you prove that there aren't multiple Gods that exist? (And yes, my question is a fallacy to make a point to you).

You do not accept the existence of God, and with this failure, you also deny any otherwise obvious truths that pertain to his existence. Your failure does not, however, diminish these truths in the least, nor in any way make them a “fallacy”.

“A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell.” — C.S. Lewis​

The infinite regress problem is a problem which foundationalism was supposed to solve in the epistemic domain.

Infinite regress isn't solved through foundationalism. It IS the problem with foundationalism.

the argument I briefly sketched need make no reference to foundationalist claims.

But you used Wittgenstein as an example to support your idea. He was a foundationalist.

It really doesn't seem correct to claim that foundationalism has collapsed. It has contemporary and near-contemporary proponents.

Well... it did not quite shatter the hopes of foundationalists, who, forgetting about Hume’s irrationalism, once again tried to explain the rationality of science as a byproduct of its justification by sense experience. Wittgenstein and the logical positivists, in particular, argued, as Hume had argued before them, that the meaning of a term is reducible to sense impressions, and that empirical verifiability is what distinguishes science from metaphysics, and sense from nonsense.

The problem ‘How is objective knowledge possible—given that that the only things that exist are those that can be known through the senses’ is an empiricist’s problem. ‘Given that that the only things that exist are those that can be known through the senses’ means given empiricism. It may be well and good for an empiricist to give himself empiricism, and for a materialist to give himself materialism. But the reason why philosophers should not understand the problem of objective knowledge in this way is that empiricism and materialism are theories—which means that they are not at all certain, and very possibly false. Since empiricism and materialism are theories, they should be tested instead of given. And one way of testing them is by asking whether or not they can explain how objective knowledge is possible without appealing to immaterial objects.

If we make empiricism and materialism conditions for the acceptability of a solution—if we reject out of hand any theory that postulates the existence of immaterial objects that cannot be perceived through the senses—then we rob ourselves of the very possibility of testing them by treating them as infallible dogmas instead. And while this may be well and good for an empiricist, or for a materialist, or for anyone else who wants to treat empiricism and materialism as infallible dogmas, it is not so well and good for someone who wants to know how objective knowledge is possible.

Taken as you've stated it, this would seem to lead to a very strict relativism.

It would appear that way, unless we considered another approach. This, in a nutshell, was Popper’s problem. In order to solve it, Popper had to first offer an alternative to the view that science is distinguished from non-science by its inductive method, and then an alternative to the view that the rationality of a belief depends upon its justification. He had, in other words, to offer an alternative to the view that science is both science and rational because it justifies its theories through sense experience. Popper’s problem, in a nutshell, was to explain how the growth of scientific knowledge can be both empirical and rational.

But where Hume, Kant, Wittgenstein, and the positivists all agreed that our knowledge must be justified in order to be rational, Popper thought outside the box, and cut the Gordian knot by arguing that scientific knowledge cannot, and need not, be justified at all—and by saying that it is rational not because we have justified it, but because we can criticize it. Popper argued that any attempt to justify our knowledge must, in order to avoid infinite regress, ultimately accept the truth (or reliability) of some statement (or faculty, or person) without justification. But the fact that the truth (or reliability) of this statement (or faculty, or person) is accepted without justification means that we attribute to it an authority that we deny to others. Thus, where Wittgenstein and the positivists appealed to experience to justify our knowledge, Popper argued that ‘the main problem of philosophy is the critical analysis of the appeal to the authority of ‘experience’—precisely that ‘experience’ which every latest discoverer of positivism is, as ever, artlessly taking for granted. The observation statements that report our experience never entail the truth of a strictly universal statement (or theory). So universal statements (or theories) cannot be justified (or verified) by experience. But it takes only one genuine counter-example to show that a universal statement is false. So some universal statements (or theories) can be criticized (or falsified) by experience—or, at least, by the acceptance of observation statements that contradict them. Popper concluded that it is falsifiability, and not verifiability, that distinguishes empirical science from metaphysics. And then, by successfully pointing out that there is a logical asymmetry between universal and singular statements—so that universal statements can be falsified, but not verified; and singular statements can be verified, but not falsified—he showed that the distinction between science and metaphysics cannot coincide with the distinction between meaningful and meaningless statements, because if a statement is meaningful then its negation must be meaningful as well.

In this way, Popper argued that the growth of science is both empirical and rational. It is empirical because we test our solutions to scientific problems against our observations and experience. And it is rational, because we make use of the valid argument forms of deductive logic, (Not inductive verification) especially the modus tollens, to criticize theories that contradict the observation statements that we think are true—and because we never conclude from the fact that a theory has survived our tests that it has been shown to be true. It's always conditional. Our theories are rational, not because they can be justified. They're rational because they can be criticized. They can be tested. Metaphysical theories can't be tested. That's what makes them metaphysical.

Despite this, there is considerable support (even among those who are fully aware of the impact relativity has had) for the view that Kant got the basic idea right.

I happen to like elements of Kant. Hopefully, I can separate his moral views, from his scientific views. I like the Catagorical Imperative he uses to determine the Moral Law by using a test to universalize a maxim. I do think that we are not a means to others ends, but rather ends in themselves and worthy of respect as rational beings universally capable of reason. I'm studying Kant right now in a course through Harvard and I really like his views on morality. But I also know that he pointed to the foundationalism I cited above looking toward Euclidian Geometry and Newtonian Physics as the basis for his ideas. Einstein proved that a priori foundations couldn't be relied upon.

Well...this is odd. Are you saying that Einstein did essentially what Kant did, just with a different set of concepts?

Not really. What Einstein proved is that we cannot rationally ground science upon a priori cognition because a priori cognition is unreliable, and we cannot rationally ground science upon sense experience because inductive inference is invalid. Simply because demonstrating that a priori cognition and inductive inference was demonstrably false in the case of Kant, doesn't mean to imply that it doesn't hold the same application for Einstein. He was claimed to have said, "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right, a single experiment can prove me wrong". No theory is ever proven true. It just means that we haven't found a way of disproving them as false. Until we do, they stand.

I'm not sure what it means for a proposition to be "logically false"--I would take this to mean that the proposition is contradictory, but presumably you mean "fallacious."

I meant contradictory. A logical fallacy. Appeals to authority are always logically false. Argumentum ad Vericundiam.Even an expert can be wrong. Your example bears this out. "It's not fallacious, for instance, to consult a medical doctor about an illness and accept her advice."
The doctor could be wrong in her diagnosis. We often get second or third opinions rather than rely on the "expert" advice of just one. Why? If the Doctor is an expert, then why would we bother with another opinion? Hopefully we assume our own fallibility. Experts are human beings, after all, and human beings err, even in their area of expertise. This is one reason why it is a good idea to get a second opinion about major medical matters, and even a third if the first two disagree.

"Nor is it fallacious to consult a Bishop about church doctrine. It's only fallacious when the domain of authority is taken to extend beyond its reasonable borders." But that as you point out is a very narrow world that steps outside of the physical world that we all deal with. The expertise of a Bishop regarding Church Doctrine deals with a metaphysical subject to begin with and only applies to the narrow field of his church. Another church with another doctrine would disagree. I could just as easily invent my own religion with it's own dogma and be the absolute authority on that subject. But it's really not very meaningful to anything beyond my own narrow dogmatic worldview.

What is another meaning of the word "canon"? If canon isn't Law, then what is it?

You do not accept the existence of God, and with this failure, you also deny any otherwise obvious truths that pertain to his existence. Your failure does not, however, diminish these truths in the least, nor in any way make them a “fallacy”.

Actually your lack of knowledge on how to debate doesn't change the fact what you said is a fallacy. Here, you get called out on your OPINIONS and fallacies.

You can't prove that YOUR god exists nor can you prove multiple gods don't. You can take your faith and along with a buck get a cheap cup of coffee.

Actually your lack of knowledge on how to debate doesn't change the fact what you said is a fallacy. Here, you get called out on your OPINIONS and fallacies.

You can't prove that YOUR god exists nor can you prove multiple gods don't. You can take your faith and along with a buck get a cheap cup of coffee.

It's just sad to watch ignorant fools who don't even recognize that they're ignorant fools, but I guess if they did, they wouldn't continue to be ignorant fools, would they? This is where foolish fundamentalism comes from.

But you do admit that the belief in eternal life means we are not of this planet. All earthly living things die and are replaced by new ones. It's how life works here.

To the bolded: not really. Many people who believe in eternal life, don't believe that in terms of the human physical body, but of a spiritual or soul-type aspect of the human which continues to "live" after physical death.

No fallacy. No question being begged. Just simple truth. Life could have no meaning, if there was no life. Life exists because God created it. Therefore, any meaning that life may have, it can only have because God created it.

Wrong.

Begging the question

You didn't limit what you asked to a particular flavor of God, like a disinterested, deist God. That you will join God in the eternal hereafter is a staple of many mainstream religions. Or that there is an eternal cycle of life in which what you do in this life affects your next one.

Doesn't matter. You are assuming that such an event will happen.

I'm not here to argue whether or not the religions are right. Your question assumes arguendo there is a God.

But that does not lead to your assumption. The existence of super natural being(s) doesn't automatically assume your premise.

Yes. Everything -- everything -- comes out the same no matter what. Doing anything is exactly the same as doing anything else, ultimately. The value you place on it has no rational basis. It's ego, nothing more. Something you make up to comfort yourself.

I find it disturbing that you think that feeding starving children, curing diseases and easing the pain of others is pointless if there is no God.

Doesn't matter. You are assuming that such an event will happen.

But that does not lead to your assumption. The existence of super natural being(s) doesn't automatically assume your premise.

Ah, so you get to pick the nature of God, so that no matter what anyone says, it will be wrong. Got it.

By the straightforward, mainstream conception of a theistic God, your question is answered. But your game-rigging indicates you had no desire for an honest exchange on the subject.

I find it disturbing that you think that feeding starving children, curing diseases and easing the pain of others is pointless if there is no God.

I find your silly emotional appeal, part of your rigged game, sadly all too typical.

Oh, well. I actually expounded on this at great length today, and was planning to invite you to read and comment, but alas, your disinterest in an honest, good-faith exchange makes it pointless. Sorry you couldn't bait me into question-begging, but I'm not an idiot. You can reset your trap for someone else.

Ah, so you get to pick the nature of God, so that no matter what anyone says, it will be wrong. Got it.

By the straightforward, mainstream conception of a theistic God, your question is answered. But your game-rigging indicates you had no desire for an honest exchange on the subject.

Not really. But thanks for walking straight into the trap. What you claimed, that because you'll join God in the afterlife, therefore your life has meaning isn't actually God giving you any form of meaning. It's you creating a framework to comfort yourself into giving your own life meaning. You have interpreted whatever religion you want to believe into promising such an afterlife. As such an interpretation and acceptance is your own, you have effectively given your life meaning. Your own idea has created meaning. Not God. No different from believing that eventually man will create a device to allow people (both living and dead) to transcend and thus live eternally. Effectively the same thing. Your arrogance blinds you to the signs of a well laid trap.

Thanks for playing though. Try again later if you want to lose again.

I find your silly emotional appeal, part of your rigged game, sadly all too typical.

Oh, well. I actually expounded on this at great length today, and was planning to invite you to read and comment, but alas, your disinterest in an honest, good-faith exchange makes it pointless. Sorry you couldn't bait me into question-begging, but I'm not an idiot. You can reset your trap for someone else.

We all know that's a big fat lie. And I disagree with the second to last sentence you made. Primarily the ending.

Not really.

Of course you didn't.

But thanks for walking straight into the trap. What you claimed, that because you'll join God in the afterlife, therefore your life has meaning isn't actually God giving you any form of meaning. It's you creating a framework to comfort yourself into giving your own life meaning. You have interpreted whatever religion you want to believe into promising such an afterlife. As such an interpretation and acceptance is your own, you have effectively given your life meaning. Your own idea has created meaning. Not God. No different from believing that eventually man will create a device to allow people (both living and dead) to transcend and thus live eternally. Effectively the same thing. Your arrogance blinds you to the signs of a well laid trap.

Thanks for playing though. Try again later if you want to lose again.

Bzzzt. That's not what I said. I never said it was what I believed. I said specifically that it was the mainstream theistic view, and that I wasn't here to say whether that view is right or wrong. I said this quite plainly. But with your champing at the bit to spring your trap, I doubt very much you even bothered to read carefully.

But, as you admit, an honest exchange of ideas was never your goal, so why bother figuring out what someone actually said in the first place, right?

We all know that's a big fat lie.

No, actually, it is not a "big fat lie." Start here:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/philosophical-discussions/158126-my-godless-life-5.html#post1061718791

It goes on for many, many pages, and the nature of your emotional appeal to "starving children" is exposed quite handily. That you think a "starving child" matters is your own "comfort" and your own emotional crutch. The universe, the cosmos, give not the first **** about that child. If it makes you feel better that you do, that's what you need to get through the day. If you find it "disturbing" that I say this, well, you're not prepared for the big, bad unfeeling universe, and you're making up your own morality to cope.

And I disagree with the second to last sentence you made. Primarily the ending.

Yeah, well, you're the one who's left with merely pretending I fell for your trap. Learn to read.

Bzzzt. That's not what I said. I never said it was what I believed.

Irrelevant if you believe it or not. The premise you gave is what is being argued. I don't give a **** about what you personally believe. But what you argument stated is exactly what I stated.

I said specifically that it was the mainstream theistic view, and that I wasn't here to say whether that view is right or wrong. I said this quite plainly. But with your champing at the bit to spring your trap, I doubt very much you even bothered to read carefully.

Still not getting it eh? You think that merely because you don't believe it somehow makes my argument invalid. You could not exist and my argument is still valid. Nothing about you believing anything yourself personally is relevant here.

But, as you admit, an honest exchange of idea was never your goal, so why bother figuring out what someone actually said in the first place, right?

Funny that you think whatever you personally believe actually matters. Notice what I'm actually arguing. What you claimed, not what you believe.

Try to fail a little less harder next time.

Your definition of length is extremely questionable. Nothing you posted is even remotely of value in terms of philosophical thinking.

Plus, i found this tidbit of funniness:

"If God is imaginary, it doesn't. It's simply a different form of making things up to comfort yourself."

The problem as I pointed out, and as you colossally failed to address, is that God itself is essentially an interpretation that everyone creates themselves. Thus, as you stated, if God is imaginary, then it is simply a different form of making things up to comfort yourself. As God in our understanding is our own interpretation, we are just making things up to comfort ourselves. Thus, God does not give any meaning. People give meaning to their lives. They use do so via creating a tool to do so. God, in its independent form has done absolutely nothing.

Thanks for providing the ammunition to shoot yourself. I love it when my opponents do that.

It goes on for many, many pages, and the nature of your emotional appeal to "starving children" is exposed quite handily. That you think a "starving child" matters is your own "comfort" and your own emotional crutch. The universe, the cosmos, give not the first **** about that child. If it makes you feel better that you do, that's what you need to get through the day. If you find it "disturbing" that I say this, well, you're not prepared for the big, bad unfeeling universe, and you're making up your own morality to cope.

Most of which is garbage. I don't need any of that to get through the day. The Universe is not a sentiment being any more so then the periodic table of elements can discuss the finer points of philosophy. The Universe cannot care because it does not have the capacity to do so.

Yeah, well, you're the one who's left with merely pretending I fell for you trap. Learn to read.

This coming from someone who thinks that merely because he does not believe, his argument stands. And the guy who gave his opponent the very quote used to destroy him.

Try again. If you're a masochist.

Irrelevant if you believe it or not. The premise you gave is what is being argued. I don't give a **** about what you personally believe. But what you argument stated is exactly what I stated.

Still not getting it eh? You think that merely because you don't believe it somehow makes my argument invalid. You could not exist and my argument is still valid. Nothing about you believing anything yourself personally is relevant here.

Funny that you think whatever you personally believe actually matters. Notice what I'm actually arguing. What you claimed, not what you believe.

Try to fail a little less harder next time.

Your definition of length is extremely questionable. Nothing you posted is even remotely of value in terms of philosophical thinking.

Plus, i found this tidbit of funniness:

"If God is imaginary, it doesn't. It's simply a different form of making things up to comfort yourself."

The problem as I pointed out, and as you colossally failed to address, is that God itself is essentially an interpretation that everyone creates themselves. Thus, as you stated, if God is imaginary, then it is simply a different form of making things up to comfort yourself. As God in our understanding is our own interpretation, we are just making things up to comfort ourselves. Thus, God does not give any meaning. People give meaning to their lives. They use do so via creating a tool to do so. God, in its independent form has done absolutely nothing.

Thanks for providing the ammunition to shoot yourself. I love it when my opponents do that.

Most of which is garbage. I don't need any of that to get through the day. The Universe is not a sentiment being any more so then the periodic table of elements can discuss the finer points of philosophy. The Universe cannot care because it does not have the capacity to do so.

This coming from someone who thinks that merely because he does not believe, his argument stands. And the guy who gave his opponent the very quote used to destroy him.

Try again. If you're a masochist.

Oh, Christ. You still haven't bothered to read what I said. You're still being dishonest about what I said.

You asked a dishonest question. You knew from the start that no matter what anyone said, it was going to be wrong, and you were going to attack it any way you can, from whatever angle you need to -- even if inconsistent and self-contradictory, as you're now doing -- in order to make it wrong.

And now, all you're doing is insulting me. You're not addressing any of the points I made. Heck, you're just saying I didn't make any, which anyone reading can see is bull****.

Really, you think you're this brilliant games master, but you suck at this. Your little ploys are obvious and tiresome. And you squeal like a stuck pig when you get called out for your little games. Grow up.

By meaning, I assume you mean importance, or worthy of attention.

If there is no God, who is there to deem us "worthy?" Who is there to deem us deserving of respect or attention?

us, our families and other people whose lives we touch.

possibly our pets as well

Someone used the fallacy of begging the question in another thread in first assuming that if God doesn't exist, life has no meaning.

What about God(s) gives life meaning?

This is a really good question.

I think it may be useful to consider how belief in God changes the experience of people who have experienced sudden loss, grief or trauma.

I have plenty of experience with this, having worked with trauma victims, and refugees. I have also as a parent experienced the sudden loss of a child, and know others who have also lost a child, so I can compare how, in times like that, belief in God makes a difference.

My conclusion is that it is not faith in God that makes a difference, but individual differences.

I have spoken to Muslims, Christians and Bahai who have experienced victimization and even torture and imprisonment, and lost close family members due to conflict and persecution in their country of origin. For some, I think their faith helps them cope. For others, the experience has turned them away from God.
I would not say that those who turn away from God are less resilient, either. It is just that the experience has made them question.

For parents who have lost a child, I can honestly say it would be nice to believe that one day, you will see your child again. So belief in God and the afterlife ould bring some comfort .... but I know that I have coped as well as parents I know who are believers. For me, birthdays and anniversaries are still difficult, but from what I can see, no more so than for people who believe in God.

In many ways, I feel I have coped better than some believer parents because I have been able to focus on what he DID achieve in his life, and on how many lives he touched, and this in some ways has made him more "immortal" to me than an idea that I will see him again when I die. That many of his friends stay in touch with me is probably a big part of this.

I can see for some, belief in God does give life more meaning, and I am glad that it does for them. But for me, I cannot see that it would help/comfort me in any way.

I don't need it.

For parents who have lost a child, I can honestly say it would be nice to believe that one day, you will see your child again. So belief in God and the afterlife ould bring some comfort .... but I know that I have coped as well as parents I know who are believers. For me, birthdays and anniversaries are still difficult, but from what I can see, no more so than for people who believe in God.

I can soooo relate to the bolded. I remember the first anniversary date that I didn't awaken thinking about losing my son. It took 15 years for me to reach that point. As for the God question, it wasn't my belief that helped me cope, because I've been through many trials of doubt and disbelief. What my loss did do, though, was make me internalize my belief more deeply, and give me a new perspective on life itself. Do I think I will someday see my son, whom I loved more than life itself? I have no idea. It would certainly be nice, but it's not something that I spend time wishing for. He was a part of my life for 15 years, and I, a part of his. That relationship cannot be severed by time nor space.

Of course you didn't.

Bzzzt. That's not what I said. I never said it was what I believed. I said specifically that it was the mainstream theistic view, and that I wasn't here to say whether that view is right or wrong. I said this quite plainly. But with your champing at the bit to spring your trap, I doubt very much you even bothered to read carefully.

But, as you admit, an honest exchange of ideas was never your goal, so why bother figuring out what someone actually said in the first place, right?

No, actually, it is not a "big fat lie." Start here:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/philosophical-discussions/158126-my-godless-life-5.html#post1061718791

Yeah, well, you're the one who's left with merely pretending I fell for your trap. Learn to read.

That you think a "starving child" matters is your own "comfort" and your own emotional crutch. The universe, the cosmos, give not the first **** about that child. If it makes you feel better that you do, that's what you need to get through the day. If you find it "disturbing" that I say this, well, you're not prepared for the big, bad unfeeling universe, and you're making up your own morality to cope.

I think you bit off a bit more than you can chew here. A starving child matters, because it's a rational being just as you are. If it doesn't matter, then neither do you. Neither does anybody. If nobody matters, you apparently have no moral compass that guides you in any decisions you make. It has nothing to do with God or any religion. It has to do with us. There are essentially two forms of morallity. Consequentialist Morality, and Catagorical Morality. If you're a consequentialist, then you take the utilitarian view that what is in the best interest of the greatest number is the morally correct thing to do. In that case, removing the healthy organs from a healthy person is justified if they can be used to help 5 other people that might need them. If you believe that you own your own life as a Libertarian might think, then selling your own self into slavery is morally justified since you can do with your body as you will.

If on the other hand you take Kants view of Catagorical Morality, then you put your views to a test. If you're a shopkeeper and a young child comes in to buy some bread, you could shortchange him, without him knowing the difference. But if you do, it might get around and you'd lose business. So..you give him the right change. Is there any moral worth to doing the right thing for the wrong reasons? The fact is that we do make up our own morality, but we dont' do it in a vacuum. We have a way of testing that idea.

People are not a means to an end to be used by you. They are ends in themselves. In Kant's view, "To act freely is not to choose the best means to a given end. Choose the end itself for its own sake." You don't feed a starving child because of what it will provide for you. You do it because it's the right thing to do. How do we know this? By universalizing the maxim. Would it be morally just to watch you or better yet...allow your own child slowly starve? No. Why not? When we act autonomously, according to a law we give ourselves, we cease to be instruments for purposes outside us, and we do something for its own sake. We become Ends in ourselves. This capacity to act freely is what gives life it’s special dignity. Respecting human dignity means regarding persons not just as means, but also as ends in themselves. This is why it’s wrong to use people for the sake of other peoples well- being or happiness.

So what gives an action its moral worth? What makes an action morally worthy, consists not in the consequences or results that flow from it, what makes an action morally worthy has to do with the motive. The intention for which the act is done. What matters is the motive. And the motive must be of a certain kind. Do the right thing for the right reason. That's why there is no moral worth to the shopkeeper giving the right change, because he fears the consequences. He's doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

“ A good will isn’t good because of what it effects or accomplishes, it’s good in itself. Even if by utmost effort the good will accomplishes nothing it would still shine like a jewel for its own sake as something which has its full value in itself.”

The reason we need to respect all human beings is that we are rational beings. We all have the capacity for reason. That's a universal truth. And it’s the exercise of that capacity for reason that exists in all of us. Pure practical reason legislates a priori regardless of any particular contingent or empirical ends. It has nothing to do with saving the starving child to make yourself feel better via some "crutch". You do it because it's the right thing to do. If one child doesn't matter to you, then no child matters to you. If you feel only your own child matters, then your exercising moral relativism. If that's the case, why would anybody consider any promise made by you to be genuine? You could selectively decide that keeping that promise isn't necessary. If you practice moral relativism, then you have no morals in the first place. Whatever you decide is the moral thing to do one day, will change tomorrow.

It is an example of Begging the question. this statement "No question being begged. Just simple truth. Life could have no meaning, if there was no life. Life exists because God created it." The statement assumes its own truth without having demonstrated why it's true. It's a circular reasoning argument. In order to accept the statement as true we have to assume the truth of a statement that hasn't been demonstrated to begin with. "God created life". According to who? The Bible. What makes the Bible True? "It's the inspired word of God". According to who? "The Bible" What makes the bible true? "It's the inspired word of God!" Circular. Begging the Question. It's hard sometimes in debating with a person that doesn't understand simple logic.

us, our families and other people whose lives we touch.

possibly our pets as well

Definitely our pets. Tells us a lot about how we treat life.

I think it may be useful to consider how belief in God changes the experience of people who have experienced sudden loss, grief or trauma.

I have plenty of experience with this, having worked with trauma victims, and refugees. I have also as a parent experienced the sudden loss of a child, and know others who have also lost a child, so I can compare how, in times like that, belief in God makes a difference.

My conclusion is that it is not faith in God that makes a difference, but individual differences.

I have spoken to Muslims, Christians and Bahai who have experienced victimization and even torture and imprisonment, and lost close family members due to conflict and persecution in their country of origin. For some, I think their faith helps them cope. For others, the experience has turned them away from God.
I would not say that those who turn away from God are less resilient, either. It is just that the experience has made them question.

In many ways, I feel I have coped better than some believer parents because I have been able to focus on what he DID achieve in his life, and on how many lives he touched, and this in some ways has made him more "immortal" to me than an idea that I will see him again when I die. That many of his friends stay in touch with me is probably a big part of this.

I can see for some, belief in God does give life more meaning, and I am glad that it does for them. But for me, I cannot see that it would help/comfort me in any way.

I don't need it.

I have also as a parent experienced the sudden loss of a child, and know others who have also lost a child, so I can compare how, in times like that, belief in God makes a difference.

Been there. For me, religious platitudes were not something I wanted to hear. Telling me that God needed her more than I did, was enough to make me want to kill somebody. I was dealing with reality, and the last thing I wanted to hear were the imaginary beliefs of people that had no experience in this kind of thing.

I don't need it.

I can see for some, belief in God does give life more meaning, and I am glad that it does for them. But for me, I cannot see that it would help/comfort me in any way. I don't need it.

If I was a believer, I'd say Amen to that. I hope that Bill Richard, the man who lost his son at the Marathon, gets comfort from his religion if it works for him. But the truth is that no education or religious training can prepare you for that kind of thing. His little daughter lost a leg and his wife suffered head injuries. These will be reminders of what happend for the rest of his life. You never get over it. You do get through it over time. In his case...I don't know how he copes. Wish I had advice, but I have no experience in the magnitude of his pain.

I can soooo relate to the bolded. I remember the first anniversary date that I didn't awaken thinking about losing my son. It took 15 years for me to reach that point. As for the God question, it wasn't my belief that helped me cope, because I've been through many trials of doubt and disbelief. What my loss did do, though, was make me internalize my belief more deeply, and give me a new perspective on life itself. Do I think I will someday see my son, whom I loved more than life itself? I have no idea. It would certainly be nice, but it's not something that I spend time wishing for. He was a part of my life for 15 years, and I, a part of his. That relationship cannot be severed by time nor space.

In my case it was my 14 year old daughter. It took me six years to find a way to mix with people. No way to find a smile. That took more time. Grief has its own time frame and there's no way of avoiding any part of it. The most difficult was having people ask how many kids I had. I tend to think that what animates life is energy, and I know that energy can be neither created, nor destroyed. I see her in everthing nature lays in front of us. At some point, I'll become reconstituted into that pure form.

I think you bit off a bit more than you can chew here. A starving child matters, because it's a rational being just as you are. If it doesn't matter, then neither do you. Neither does anybody. If nobody matters, you apparently have no moral compass that guides you in any decisions you make. It has nothing to do with God or any religion. It has to do with us. There are essentially two forms of morallity. Consequentialist Morality, and Catagorical Morality. If you're a consequentialist, then you take the utilitarian view that what is in the best interest of the greatest number is the morally correct thing to do. In that case, removing the healthy organs from a healthy person is justified if they can be used to help 5 other people that might need them. If you believe that you own your own life as a Libertarian might think, then selling your own self into slavery is morally justified since you can do with your body as you will.

If on the other hand you take Kants view of Catagorical Morality, then you put your views to a test. If you're a shopkeeper and a young child comes in to buy some bread, you could shortchange him, without him knowing the difference. But if you do, it might get around and you'd lose business. So..you give him the right change. Is there any moral worth to doing the right thing for the wrong reasons? The fact is that we do make up our own morality, but we dont' do it in a vacuum. We have a way of testing that idea.

People are not a means to an end to be used by you. They are ends in themselves. In Kant's view, "To act freely is not to choose the best means to a given end. Choose the end itself for its own sake." You don't feed a starving child because of what it will provide for you. You do it because it's the right thing to do. How do we know this? By universalizing the maxim. Would it be morally just to watch you or better yet...allow your own child slowly starve? No. Why not? When we act autonomously, according to a law we give ourselves, we cease to be instruments for purposes outside us, and we do something for its own sake. We become Ends in ourselves. This capacity to act freely is what gives life it’s special dignity. Respecting human dignity means regarding persons not just as means, but also as ends in themselves. This is why it’s wrong to use people for the sake of other peoples well- being or happiness.

So what gives an action its moral worth? What makes an action morally worthy, consists not in the consequences or results that flow from it, what makes an action morally worthy has to do with the motive. The intention for which the act is done. What matters is the motive. And the motive must be of a certain kind. Do the right thing for the right reason. That's why there is no moral worth to the shopkeeper giving the right change, because he fears the consequences. He's doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

“ A good will isn’t good because of what it effects or accomplishes, it’s good in itself. Even if by utmost effort the good will accomplishes nothing it would still shine like a jewel for its own sake as something which has its full value in itself.”

The reason we need to respect all human beings is that we are rational beings. We all have the capacity for reason. That's a universal truth. And it’s the exercise of that capacity for reason that exists in all of us. Pure practical reason legislates a priori regardless of any particular contingent or empirical ends. It has nothing to do with saving the starving child to make yourself feel better via some "crutch". You do it because it's the right thing to do. If one child doesn't matter to you, then no child matters to you. If you feel only your own child matters, then your exercising moral relativism. If that's the case, why would anybody consider any promise made by you to be genuine? You could selectively decide that keeping that promise isn't necessary. If you practice moral relativism, then you have no morals in the first place. Whatever you decide is the moral thing to do one day, will change tomorrow.

You say all this as though I didn't know what I was saying. Indeed, I'm fully aware of it.

You say "if it doesn't matter, then neither do you" as though you think I'd balk at the statement. I do not.

I fully expounded on all of this in the thread I linked to.

The point: no one accepts the cold, disinterested universe. Everyone makes something up rather than accept the truth, which in a cosmic sense is exactly what I said: nothing matters. Not me. Not you. Not the starving child. Not the planet Earth. Not this galaxy. Nothing.

I never said a thing about people being mine to use as I please. I don't have the foggiest idea where you pulled that from.

What I did say (in the other thread) is that all morality is an invention. An emotional one. There is no objective or rational basis for any morality, and if you've convinced yourself that there is, then you're lying to yourself, or you're thinking small.

Everything you just said as your basis for morality is poppycock in the sense that it assumes there's some inherent worth to "rational beings." No, there isn't; that's just what you decided, likely because ego forces you to give yourself worth. I actually even agree, but the difference is, I recognize I'm just pulling some arbitrary standard out of thin air. Nothing in nature suggests that standard.

I actually have a very well-developed moral code, but I don't kid myself about it. It's not derived from any "universal truth," because there is no such thing. It's derived from an arbitrary point I picked. Which, actually, is more or less the same as yours.

What stops me from acting according to what I actually know to be the rational truth, that nothing matters, is the same thing which stops pretty much everyone -- that inherent trick of the brain we call "conscience." But again, I don't kid myself about it.

Do I like the implications of taking everything out to its rational conclusion? No. I do not. But so what? My not liking it doesn't change it. I'll just find some way not to think about it most of the time, just as everyone else does. I'll invent my own fairy tales about good and bad just like everyone else does. I'll even allow myself to believe things. Heck, while I type this I even have to beat back any number of healthy emotional responses. But I'll always know in the back room of my brain exactly what I'm doing.

I accept that. I accept that I do it. It would be nice if everyone who (loudly!) pretends to believe in "science" and "reason" and mocks people for believing in "imaginary sky friends" would also accept that they, too, embrace an arbitrary point of irrationality (such as that which you describe for yourself), but in my experience, being almost evangelical about being "rational" tends to breed rather heightened arrogance and an aversion to that kind of introspection.

But I am not fooled. I know what they're doing. Because everyone does it. Some call it religion. Some call it "spirituality." And some simply pretend they don't do it. But they do. And it's no different from religion.

So, bit off more than I can chew? Gotten myself in too deep? I think not. Every time I discuss this, I find I can chew it better than pretty much anyone else is willing to.

Last edited:

Adagio said:
Infinite regress isn't solved through foundationalism. It IS the problem with foundationalism.

1) I did not say that foundationalism solves the infinite regress problem. I said it was supposed (i.e. by its proponents) to solve the infinite regress problem.

2) I'm not sure I see your point. If a principle or set of principles or entity sufficient to ground an adequate epistemology is/are truly foundational, they would stop the regress problem. It wouldn't make sense to ask what justifies them; justification just means to be in accord with those principles. That's just what it means for them to be foundational in this case. And if this is so, it stops the regress, making it finite.

Adagio said:
But you used Wittgenstein as an example to support your idea. He was a foundationalist.

He was also a logical atomist, an ethical and aesthetic relativist, a fan of spaghetti westerns, and a bit of a nervous fellow. Are these also relevant? I was drawing upon his point about meaning and publicity, which is generally taken to be correct.

Anyway, you keep calling W a foundationalist. I'm not sure this is correct, unless by that you mean the T-Wittgenstein thought there are certain logical axioms which are basic to formal logic.

Adagio said:
Well... it did not quite shatter the hopes of foundationalists, who, forgetting about Hume’s irrationalism, once again tried to explain the rationality of science as a byproduct of its justification by sense experience....(snip)... And while this may be well and good for an empiricist, or for a materialist, or for anyone else who wants to treat empiricism and materialism as infallible dogmas, it is not so well and good for someone who wants to know how objective knowledge is possible.

OK--so, by "collapse of foundationalism" you meant "there are potent criticisms of foundationalism"?

There are potent criticisms of practically every philosophical position ever invented. Now, there are surely some of those positions that have genuinely collapsed (like the idea-theory of reference) in that they have no living proponents who are professional philosophers at all. That situation is pretty rare. Foundationalists today would have some replies, some of them fairly convincing, to what you post, above.

Also, what you've posted above seems to have to do with objective knowledge (a term which stands in need of clarification), not the foundations of knowledge. Foundationalists need not suppose that there are objective foundations. Indeed, the feat Kant pulled off was to show how objective knowledge could coherently proceed from subjective foundations...though I suspect he might object to this sort of terminology.

Adagio said:
It would appear that way, unless we considered another approach. This, in a nutshell, was Popper’s problem. (snip)

But where Hume, Kant, Wittgenstein, and the positivists all agreed that our knowledge must be justified in order to be rational, Popper thought outside the box, and cut the Gordian knot by arguing that scientific knowledge cannot, and need not, be justified at all—and by saying that it is rational not because we have justified it, but because we can criticize it.

Again, I'm not entirely sure that's how I would characterize Popper. It seems to me that Popper thought that scientific statements could receive justification. He would hardly have been so concerned with the demarcation problem were this not the case. You may note that the summary you've written above looks like an attempt at justification, though with the added verbiage that it's not really an attempt at justification.

With Popper, you have to be careful in thinking that when he's talking about science, he's talking about knowlege in general. He thought properly scientific theories are falsifiable. But he did not think that one couldn't be justified in accepting certain kinds of statements as true. For instance, if I note that it feels cold outside, and also that my right knee aches, I am justified in accepting the conjunction of those two propositions. Popper would not have said otherwise.

Adagio said:
Popper argued that any attempt to justify our knowledge must, in order to avoid infinite regress, ultimately accept the truth (or reliability) of some statement (or faculty, or person) without justification.

Yes, he thought that. This is sufficient to show that he, too, was a foundationalist. His move to do this was specifically to avoid the infinite regress problem.

Adagio said:
But the fact that the truth (or reliability) of this statement (or faculty, or person) is accepted without justification means that we attribute to it an authority that we deny to others. Thus, where Wittgenstein and the positivists appealed to experience to justify our knowledge, Popper argued that ‘the main problem of philosophy is the critical analysis of the appeal to the authority of ‘experience’—precisely that ‘experience’ which every latest discoverer of positivism is, as ever, artlessly taking for granted. The observation statements that report our experience never entail the truth of a strictly universal statement (or theory). So universal statements (or theories) cannot be justified (or verified) by experience. But it takes only one genuine counter-example to show that a universal statement is false. So some universal statements (or theories) can be criticized (or falsified) by experience—or, at least, by the acceptance of observation statements that contradict them. Popper concluded that it is falsifiability, and not verifiability, that distinguishes empirical science from metaphysics. And then, by successfully pointing out that there is a logical asymmetry between universal and singular statements—so that universal statements can be falsified, but not verified; and singular statements can be verified, but not falsified—he showed that the distinction between science and metaphysics cannot coincide with the distinction between meaningful and meaningless statements, because if a statement is meaningful then its negation must be meaningful as well.

In this way, Popper argued that the growth of science is both empirical and rational. It is empirical because we test our solutions to scientific problems against our observations and experience. And it is rational, because we make use of the valid argument forms of deductive logic, (Not inductive verification) especially the modus tollens, to criticize theories that contradict the observation statements that we think are true—and because we never conclude from the fact that a theory has survived our tests that it has been shown to be true. It's always conditional. Our theories are rational, not because they can be justified. They're rational because they can be criticized. They can be tested. Metaphysical theories can't be tested. That's what makes them metaphysical.

The well known objections to Popper's suggestion are that a) this doesn't comport well with how science actually proceeds, b) it relies on empiricism anyway (he never explained how our observations could falsify a theory without there being some concept of justification through observation snuck in), and c) it's too strong by half, in that if we take it seriously, it limits the sorts of things science can talk about.

But that said, nothing you've written above actually avoids the problem of justification.

Adagio said:
But I also know that he pointed to the foundationalism I cited above looking toward Euclidian Geometry and Newtonian Physics as the basis for his ideas. Einstein proved that a priori foundations couldn't be relied upon.

1) Again, that's not exactly what Kant said. He did not say that the universe is either Euclidean or Newtonian. He said, rather, that those were examples of systems built with synthetic a priori reasoning. In other words, what he said is that human beings can't help but see the world as Euclidean and Newtonian.

2) I find your statements about Einstein rather odd. Einstein applied Euclidean Geometry and Newtonian physics to a single data point--that light travels at the same speed in all reference frames--to generate relativity theory. You get the equations for Special relativity by just manipulating the Pythagorean Theorem and assuming that C is a constant.

Adagio said:
What Einstein proved is that we cannot rationally ground science upon a priori cognition because a priori cognition is unreliable, and we cannot rationally ground science upon sense experience because inductive inference is invalid.

I wasn't aware he'd proven either of those propositions. Can you elaborate?

Adagio said:
Simply because demonstrating that a priori cognition and inductive inference was demonstrably false in the case of Kant

Wait a minute...again, when was this done?

Adagio said:
doesn't mean to imply that it doesn't hold the same application for Einstein. He was claimed to have said, "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right, a single experiment can prove me wrong". No theory is ever proven true. It just means that we haven't found a way of disproving them as false. Until we do, they stand.

He may have said that. Whether he should have said that is another question. In any event, it's certainly not the case that any theory at all stands until falsified. We'd have an uber-proliferation of theories under that scenario.

Adagio said:
I meant contradictory. A logical fallacy. Appeals to authority are always logically false. Argumentum ad Vericundiam.

So, appeal to authority is a fallacy that occurs when we take the pronouncements of someone with political authority of some kind, or some sort of social prestige, to be authoritative in some non-concerned area. For example, if President Obama said "Picasso was an unimportant artist," and I used that to support an argument that Picasso was an unimportant artist, that would be a fallacious appeal to authority.

Can you show me how the proposition "Obama said Picasso was an unimportant artist" is false on every line of the applicable standard truth table? It looks to me like one easy way to symboliize this would just be:

(x)(Sa & (Px --> ~Ix)

Which is clearly not false on every line of the standard truth table for conjunction.

Adagio said:
Even an expert can be wrong. Your example bears this out. "It's not fallacious, for instance, to consult a medical doctor about an illness and accept her advice."
The doctor could be wrong in her diagnosis. We often get second or third opinions rather than rely on the "expert" advice of just one. Why? If the Doctor is an expert, then why would we bother with another opinion?

You have a strange understanding of this fallacy. Of course, the doctor could be wrong. The point is that experts are experts by virtue of the fact that they're wrong less often than non-experts. We consult them to increase our odds of holding true beliefs and eschewing false ones.

In the Obama/Picasso example, Obama is presumably not an expert in art history, and so his pronouncement about the importance of Picasso to the history of art is as likely to be wrong as if anyone else who isn't an expert in art history said it. That he is President of the U.S. does not increase his odds to make true pronouncements in unrelated fields. That's why appeal to authority is a fallacy.

Adagio said:
"Nor is it fallacious to consult a Bishop about church doctrine. It's only fallacious when the domain of authority is taken to extend beyond its reasonable borders." But that as you point out is a very narrow world that steps outside of the physical world that we all deal with. The expertise of a Bishop regarding Church Doctrine deals with a metaphysical subject to begin with and only applies to the narrow field of his church.

Wait a minute...this doesn't make sense. I did not say, and did not mean to claim, that a Bishop would be an expert over whether a particular dogma of his or her church is true. I said it's not fallacious to consult a Bishop about church dogma--i.e. a Bishop is more likely to know what church dogma says than other people.

Adagio said:
Another church with another doctrine would disagree.

Well, not about what the first church's doctrine says.

Adagio said:
What is another meaning of the word "canon"? If canon isn't Law, then what is it?

According to the OED, it can also mean criterion, standard, accepted calendar, or influential body of literature. I used it in the last sense--the argument I posted is the canonical argument for why we need God for meaning because it's the most influential and accepted such argument.

Anyway, as fascinating as all of this is, what does this have to do with the regress argument for meaning?

Oh, Christ. You still haven't bothered to read what I said. You're still being dishonest about what I said.

Good luck proving that.

You asked a dishonest question. You knew from the start that no matter what anyone said, it was going to be wrong, and you were going to attack it any way you can, from whatever angle you need to -- even if inconsistent and self-contradictory, as you're now doing -- in order to make it wrong.

Dude. I used your own argument to show that people give their own lives meaning. Don't like that? Blame yourself. You made that argument. Don't go getting angry at me because I quoted you arguing my point.

And now, all you're doing is insulting me. You're not addressing any of the points I made. Heck, you're just saying I didn't make any, which anyone reading can see is bull****.

Which means you don't have any actual rebuttal to my comments. Thanks for playing. I addressed your points handily. Your sole defense was simply because you didn't believe it yourself that my rebuttal doesn't count. How the heck is that an argument?

As for your "Universe doesn't give a ****" argument, that functionally applies to people giving their lives meaning by their interpretation of God. We have no actual knowledge of what happens after death. Therefore, every belief we have is based on our interpretation and desires about what we think happens. As you have stated and I fully agree, everyone is making everything up. So under your own logic, nothing matters period. God or no God.

Really, you think you're this brilliant games master, but you suck at this. Your little ploys are obvious and tiresome. And you squeal like a stuck pig when you get called out for your little games. Grow up.

This coming from an user who is hurt because his own quote was used to disprove him.

Maybe you should watch what you say next time. After all, it was you who linked me to your argument. It was you who said that. I am merely the messenger of your own argument come back to refute you.

You have yet to show how my argument that utilized your own quote that proves that peoples' interpretation of God is merely a tool people use to give their lives meaning and that God itself, has done nothing to give meaning.

Merely because you got destroyed does not mean you can accuse others of being immature. The one who cannot accept that his own quote is being used against him in a way he cannot even attempt to deal with is the one who is immature. Accept your own statements and grow up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom