• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How does God(s)'s existence give life meaning?[W: 192]

obvious Child

Equal Opportunity Hater
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Someone used the fallacy of begging the question in another thread in first assuming that if God doesn't exist, life has no meaning.

What about God(s) gives life meaning?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How does God(s)'s existence give life meaning?

It really depends on just what one's concept of God is. I personally think of it as inspirational, or as a spark of light and creative energy.

By meaning, I assume you mean importance, or worthy of attention.

If there is no God, who is there to deem us "worthy?" Who is there to deem us deserving of respect or attention?

If there is no God, who is there to deem us "worthy?" Who is there to deem us deserving of respect or attention?

The collapse of the hierarchical world must be tough..................................

The collapse of the hierarchical world must be tough..................................

I think you're trying to be snarky but failing at it. Not sure.

It is my belief that all things are God. If they are not, then God is not all things and thus there are other Gods. In my belief that worthy isn't relevent. Worthy of what? Worthy when?

Respect is relative. When I respect you I respect myself. When I disrespect myself I disrespect you. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

So, in the absence of others, you have no internal value whatsoever?

That your sense of value is entirely external?

Let me ask you this: If you complete a hard task and there is no one there to pat you on the back, you feel no sense of accomplishment?

your...self?

I think you're trying to be snarky but failing at it. Not sure.

Well, I'm not being snarky, but I do realize that any observation of the Right, be it positive, negative, or neutral is immediately interpreted as "bad" . My point was that the age of humans waiting around to be "deemed" is over...............................

Without god, there is no hope of an after-life and thus you are condemned to be in darkness for the next hundred trillion years. No god, no after-life. It's the only game in town.

Without god, there is no hope of an after-life and thus you are condemned to be in darkness for the next hundred trillion years. No god, no after-life. It's the only game in town.

If we were all honest, we would all admit we're afraid to die. It doesn't matter. We're going to die anyways. And no, there is no posthuman human existence................................

Not everyone who believes in a concept of God, believes it is only reserved for after death, or as an insurance policy of some type. Some people experience "God" in everyday life, as it amounts to a dimension of themselves that is holy or sacred- not necessarily that they think of themselves in those terms, but that they can experience the divine in everyday life. To me, that's basically what it is. It's something that happens when I glance at someone and I really see them for the unique expression of creation that they are. It's an ability and a willingness to appreciate all that makes the character of an individual. It's the ability to look at what most would consider a deeply flawed human, and see the special and lovable about them, or the inspiration which invades my mind when I pick up a piece of pastel chalk, and make the first mark on the paper, and keep building it up until it takes form and an expressive quality. It's very hard to explain, but it's something that I know when I see it.

If we were all honest, we would all admit we're afraid to die. It doesn't matter. We're going to die anyways. And no, there is no posthuman human existence................................

You can believe that all that you wish. You cannot know that, anymore than I can know without a doubt that there is.

Human form- no. Something in the human mind which remains, maybe.

You can believe that all that you wish. You cannot know that, anymore than I can know without a doubt that there is.

Human form- no. Something in the human mind which remains, maybe.

Is there "nothing" ? I don't think so. "Nothing" is an invention of monotheists to frighten people into line......................

So, in the absence of others, you have no internal value whatsoever?

That your sense of value is entirely external?

Let me ask you this: If you complete a hard task and there is no one there to pat you on the back, you feel no sense of accomplishment?

That's not at all what I said.

It is my belief that all things are God. If they are not, then God is not all things and thus there are other Gods. In my belief that worthy isn't relevent. Worthy of what? Worthy when?

Respect is relative. When I respect you I respect myself. When I disrespect myself I disrespect you. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Worthy of attention, ie important.

That's the literal definition of "significant."

The OP asked why God makes life significant (or meaningful, same thing).

Worthy of attention, ie important.

That's the literal definition of "significant."

The OP asked why God makes life significant (or meaningful, same thing).

One thing you have to keep in mind, is that people weren't given the choice of being Christians, it was that or death. Now that Christianity no longer has that power of life and death, why would anyone remain a Christian ? It was always a "big gubmint" type thing anyways....................

Actually some believe that an afterlife of sorts, or reincarnation, can exist independent of any deity. Likewise others believe there may be a creator but no afterlife. I don't know how this brings some unique meaning to our current lives though.

Actually some believe that an afterlife of sorts, or reincarnation, can exist independent of any deity. Likewise others believe there may be a creator but no afterlife. I don't know how this brings some unique meaning to our current lives though.

I like what Will Rogers once said, "If dogs don't go to heaven, I want to go where dogs go." Me too.

There are many forms of god (or absences) and that relationship can greatly affect the way a life is lived. I think that the fear of death, which nullifies all of life, is the prime motivator.

No matter how you live your life, the end that is death is too disappointing. There are no other solutions. You can extend your life through healthy living but ultimately it will all go blank. That's pretty primal...

There are many forms of god (or absences) and that relationship can greatly affect the way a life is lived. I think that the fear of death, which nullifies all of life, is the prime motivator.

No matter how you live your life, the end that is death is too disappointing. There are no other solutions. You can extend your life through healthy living but ultimately it will all go blank. That's pretty primal...

There are so many variables that go into the value we personally attach to life though. If someone is young and healthy and well-liked, god and the afterlife is basically irrelevant. Most will rarely think about it. If we have a clear long-term goal, that's something to look forward to. If anything, theists tend to devalue this life.

Well the fear is apparently not primal enough to force everyone to believe in such things. We can't really conceive of eternity to prefer one scenario over another, nor do i have any say in the matter. At least that's how i see it.

It doesn't and the idea that it does is absurd. You give your own life meaning, anyone who is placing that responsibility on an imaginary friend somewhere has issues.

That's not at all what I said.

No, it's exactly what you said.

"If there is no God, who is there to deem us "worthy?" Who is there to deem us deserving of respect or attention?"

Therefore, if there is no God, and if you are alone, you have no method of getting any respect.

Therefore, the answer to this question: If you complete a hard task and there is no one there to pat you on the back, you feel no sense of accomplishment? Is yes, you feel no sense of accomplishment for completing hard tasks if there is no one there to pat you on the back.

People who have external only sources of respect tend to have serious insecurity and depression issues.

Last edited:

I don't need to be judged by a god in order for my life to have meaning, there are plenty of judgmental pricks right here on earth for that.

I also do not understand the logic of the claim that we need an afterlife in order for this one to have meaning... You need to exist forever or there's no meaning to it? I see it the opposite, if I were an immortal soul what happens in my brief life wouldn't matter, nor would a single day. But the fact that life ends makes every day precious, valuable and finite. The fact that we exist in a relative blink of an eye compared to the astronomical time scale, rather than for every one of the billions of years, makes us (and all life) rare and that much more precious.

No, it's exactly what you said.

"If there is no God, who is there to deem us "worthy?" Who is there to deem us deserving of respect or attention?"

Therefore, if there is no God, and if you are alone, you have no method of getting any respect.

Therefore, the answer to this question: If you complete a hard task and there is no one there to pat you on the back, you feel no sense of accomplishment? Is yes, you feel no sense of accomplishment for completing hard tasks if there is no one there to pat you on the back.

People who have external only sources of respect tend to have serious insecurity and depression issues.

I think you're doing a bit of projecting there, obvious child, but I hope you get your personal issues sorted out.

I was simply trying to answer your question - you asked why the existence of God gives people's lives meaning.

Again, "meaning" is defined as "worthy of respect or attention." That is the dictionary definition, nothing personal. The natural question to ask would be "whose respect or attention?"

Certainly, many people look to God to fill this role. I certainly do try to live my life to be worthy of God, though I know I can't live up to it. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

Back
Top Bottom