• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How do we stop school shootings? (1 Viewer)

What are the causes and solutions to school shootings? (Select as many as apply)

• Cause - Increased mental health problems in the US

• Cause - Social media

• Cause - Bullying

• Cause - Parents are too busy and not paying attention to their kids

• Cause - Teachers and mental health professionals are not communicating concerns effectively

• Cause - Decreased community involvement from families

• Solution - Arming teachers

• Solution - Making social media against the law for minors

• Solution - Stricter gun laws

• Solution - Encouraging/teaching ethical behavior in schools and in the media

Results are only viewable after voting.
The number of times a gun kept in the home is used for personal defense is statistically insignificant compared to the number of tragic gun deaths of children.
The number of guns used for personal defense it an invalid metric.

It may be needed to repeal the 2nd a
Then get it done.
Get off your ass and do the work.
Get the money, get the manpower, and convince the majority of people in 38 states to give up their freedom.
Until you do, the 2nd prevents you from doing what you want -- as intended.

Or, you can whine about it on a message board.

Many of the horrific senseless public mass shootings, including school shootings, are perpetrated by once 'lawful gun owners' who are completely lawful up until the moment they begin shooting.
That's how freedom works.

Many of the horrific senseless public mass shootings, including school shootings, are perpetrated by once 'lawful gun owners' who are completely lawful up until the moment they begin shooting.

Often the only difference between a lawful gun owner and a senseless mass shooter is the act of pulling the trigger.

The crazy lunatic inside is clamoring to be set free and builds curiosity over what it's like to mow down innocent people until the urge can no longer be resisted and the shooter finally takes that fateful action.

What makes that happen? Often the killer ends up dead so that cannot be asked why they did it. Other times a lawyer advises them to shut up and say nothing. Nothing requires them to answer for their actions. Sometimes they write a manifesto which often leaves grieving survivors more questions than answers.

Something should be done to ensure that psychologically unsound people do not get guns.

President Biden has tried to implement background checks for all gun sales. Republicans are fighting it. That makes no sense. Why? Do Republicans like senseless school shootings? Do they want to see ever more horrific tragedies?

Or is it that Republicans get so much money from the NRA they can't pass it up and are willing to withstand public criticism to get that money and get that power.
The latter. ;)
https___advancelocal-adapter-image-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com_image.nj.com_home_njo-media_width...jpeg

If we follow the ‘logic’ of the extremists, more guns is better. So let’s just go ahead and arm the kids. What stop at the teachers? What could go wrong?

You think Trump will confiscate weapons if he wins in November. Don't you?
I have no idea what Trump will do regarding guns, if reelected except what is best for Trump. Most of Trump's support comes from 2A purists/gun nuts. Talking those folks into giving up their guns would be a monumental task. The only circumstances I could imagine it happening would be:

1. He's granted enough executive power to grab people's guns and
2. If he feels gun ownership presents a danger to him either physically or politically.

I don't understand why you're behaving like such a gadfly asking me this. Seems pretty obvious.

I have no idea what Trump will do regarding guns, if reelected except what is best for Trump. Most of Trump's support comes from 2A purists/gun nuts. Talking those folks into giving up their guns would be a monumental task. The only circumstances I could imagine it happening would be:

1. He's granted enough executive power to grab people's guns and
2. If he feels gun ownership presents a danger to him either physically or politically.

I don't understand why you're behaving like such a gadfly asking me this. Seems pretty obvious.

You said it will happen. 🤷

Do you have ideas or ever actually debate, or do you just exist on this forum to play games? I've honestly yet to see you post an idea of your own.

Odd since you've had several conversations with me. We had a discussion not long ago about how you think Trump will confiscate weapons if he wins in November and I thought that was a ridiculous opinion. For some reason, you don't remember that.

How do you stop automobile accidents?

Has anyone came up with an answer yet ?

The number of times a gun kept in the home is used for personal defense is statistically insignificant compared to the number of tragic gun deaths of children.

Gun deaths are the number one cause of child deaths in America.
If anyone has anything more recent, please post it.
SR_23.03.30_KidsGuns_3.png

"Black children and teens were roughly five times as likely as their White counterparts to die from gunfire in 2021. There were 11.8 gun deaths per 100,000 Black children and teens that year, compared with 2.3 gun deaths per 100,000 White children and teens. The gun death rate among Hispanic children and teens was also 2.3 deaths per 100,000 in 2021, while it was lower among Asian children and teens (0.9 per 100,000)."

If anyone has anything more recent, please post it.
SR_23.03.30_KidsGuns_3.png

"Black children and teens were roughly five times as likely as their White counterparts to die from gunfire in 2021. There were 11.8 gun deaths per 100,000 Black children and teens that year, compared with 2.3 gun deaths per 100,000 White children and teens. The gun death rate among Hispanic children and teens was also 2.3 deaths per 100,000 in 2021, while it was lower among Asian children and teens (0.9 per 100,000)."
What's your point with this and how it relates to the OP?

What's your point with this and how it relates to the OP?
Are you saying that Black kids don’t go to school?

I’m not sure your question is relevant to the op.

Kids go to school. Hello McFly.

If they're harder to own now...
Additionally, analysis of Everytown’s Gunfire on School Grounds dataset and related studies point to several key observations to be considered in addressing this challenge. For example, 58% of perpetrators had a connection to the school, 70% were White males, 73 to 80% obtained guns from home or relatives or friends, and 100% exhibited warning signs or showed behavior that was of cause for concern; also, in 77% of school shootings, at least one person knew about the shooter’s plan before the shooting events occurred (Everytown Research & Policy, 2021a).

Are you saying that Black kids don’t go to school?

I’m not sure your question is relevant to the op.

Kids go to school. Hello McFly.
Yes, but what does race have to do with it? Why do you think more black kids are dying by guns than whites? As in, what's causing that?

If they're harder to own now
you are conflating new purchase with ownership. The US is awash in guns, few guns that have been manufactured, especially since the 60's, have been destroyed/become unusable. Gun attrition is low, they are not like cars that wear out after 10 years. The accumulation causes increased access, increased access causes more deaths. This is not a mystery.

Additionally, analysis of Everytown’s Gunfire on School Grounds dataset and related studies point to several key observations to be considered in addressing this challenge. For example, 58% of perpetrators had a connection to the school, 70% were White males, 73 to 80% obtained guns from home or relatives or friends, and 100% exhibited warning signs or showed behavior that was of cause for concern; also, in 77% of school shootings, at least one person knew about the shooter’s plan before the shooting events occurred (Everytown Research & Policy, 2021a).

So you're saying folks are being more negligent now? Teachers and parents?

Also, why do you think more people own guns now when it's harder to get them now?

you are conflating new purchase with ownership. The US is awash in guns, few guns that have been manufactured, especially since the 60's, have been destroyed/become unusable. Gun attrition is low, they are not like cars that wear out after 10 years. The accumulation causes increased access, increased access causes more deaths. This is not a mystery.
Ah, OK, so the guns are either just kept in house or handed down from generation to generation. This must be why many advocate for gun buybacks.

Ah, OK, so the guns are either just kept in house or handed down from generation to generation. This must be why many advocate for gun buybacks.
so, are you clear on the logic of increasing firearm levels causes increasing rates of school shootings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom