• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hastert asks court to spare him prison; cites shame, health

I'm not. If the death sentence were infallible, I would be calling for the death penalty for child molesters, and I don't give a damn about their political lean. The only reason I don't is because the death penalty is not infallible, and sometimes the innocent are executed along with the guilty. How can anyone want to forgive an animal who shatters the lives of children like that?

1. I think that forgiveness is available to all, including people as atrocious as myself.
2. The Judicial System isn't about forgiveness v revenge. It's about the rule of law.

Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

(Though the whole structuring thing is complete nonsense if you ask me)

It appears Hastert has been found guilty of banking irregularities.
Structuring violations!
While it is clear he mislead investigators, it does not appear he perjured himself.
I guess his sentence should be the same as any other person who committed a similar structuring violation.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ernment-s-position-on-sentencing-hastert.html

Structuring violations = money laundering. I just read the prosecutor's recommendation, and it sickens me. If the defendant was a regular citizen, he would be facing prison. Money indeed has it's privileges.

Structuring violations = money laundering. I just read the prosecutor's recommendation, and it sickens me. If the defendant was a regular citizen, he would be facing prison. Money indeed has it's privileges.
I agree, but the sentence should be the same as for anyone else found guilty of the same crime.

That depends entirely on who the Trans people are and who the Republicans are.

Truth hurts.

Well, name some trans people who got arrested in the bathroom....I've showed you 3 republican politicians.

I agree, but the sentence should be the same as for anyone else found guilty of the same crime.

Almost everybody convicted of money laundering goes to prison. The difference here is that Hastert has money and political influence. If it had been you or me, we would be looking at a lot of hard time.

Almost everybody convicted of money laundering goes to prison. The difference here is that Hastert has money and political influence. If it had been you or me, we would be looking at a lot of hard time.
We will see! I could see them not sending him to prison, but even if he is sent to prison it will be a white collar one.

The same would hold in that case too. A person who illegally used contraception several decades ago shouldn't be punished.

Sooooooooo.......a death penalty case one day and a "oh well" the next because they hid their "crime" well?:lamo

We will see! I could see them not sending him to prison, but even if he is sent to prison it will be a white collar one.

Yup, Hastert will get Club Fed. LOL.

And if he was a Democrat, plenty of liberals would be insisting on the difference between Ephebophilia and Pedophilia :shrug: We are always more forgiving to those with whom we identify in some form or fashion.

Bulllcrap. Pedophiles should be handled harshly no matter their political affiliation.

Do you have evidence of your statement?

Bulllcrap.

No, it's human nature. We are quicker (and more willing) to forgive members of our group. We also tend to ascribe their failings to temptation or temporary fault, whereas we ascribe the failings of out-group members to inherent moral degeneracy.

Pedophiles should be handled harshly no matter their political affiliation.

I wouldn't non-concur that acting out pedophilia should be one of our severest crimes. Pedophilia itself (the attraction) I wouldn't punish, I think we should get help to those who are attracted sexually to underage individuals, but who do not act on those urges.

Do you have evidence of your statement?

Of a liberal willingness to distinguish between Ephebophilia and Pedophilia? Sure - do a search on this form.

The dude is disgustingly sick.

But no more so than his predatorial Washington counterpart, Bill Clinton.

No, it's human nature. We are quicker (and more willing) to forgive members of our group. We also tend to ascribe their failings to temptation or temporary fault, whereas we ascribe the failings of out-group members to inherent moral degeneracy.

I wouldn't non-concur that acting out pedophilia should be one of our severest crimes. Pedophilia itself (the attraction) I wouldn't punish, I think we should get help to those who are attracted sexually to underage individuals, but who do not act on those urges.

Of a liberal willingness to distinguish between Ephebophilia and Pedophilia? Sure - do a search on this form.

Again, post evidence for "plenty of liberals" that will indicate that a Democrat doing the crime should be treated differently.

And frankly, I am harder on my own party on their crimes. Pisses me off entirely.

The dude is disgustingly sick.

But no more so than his predatorial Washington counterpart, Bill Clinton.

Yea, Clinton is just as bad, but he got away with it because he didn't launder money in an attempt to cover it up. Doesn't make what Clinton did right, though.

Child molesters are sonsofbitches and should never been shown any mercy, period.

Not sure what his politics has to do with this.

Child molesters are sonsofbitches and should never been shown any mercy, period.

Not sure what his politics has to do with this.

Politics has a LOT to do with it. Check out THIS article:

Right wing talk show host Jon Matthews was convicted of exposing himself to children, and ended up getting probation from a Republican judge. He finally went to prison after violating the terms of his probation by playing an online sexual fantasy game with a child and being kicked out of a treatment program for child molesters.

Last edited:
Politics has a LOT to do with it. Check out THIS article:

Right wing talk show host Jon Matthews was convicted of exposing himself to children, and ended up getting probation from a Republican judge. He finally went to prison after violating the terms of his probation by playing an online sexual fantasy game with a child.

I don't care if someone is liberal or conservative or President of the United States or President of the NRA or the world's greatest libertarian. Child molesters have no politics. They're simply the most heinous kind of criminal there is. Hastert is no better or no worse than anyone else because of his political leans.

I don't care if someone is liberal or conservative or President of the United States or President of the NRA or the world's greatest libertarian. Child molesters have no politics. They're simply the most heinous kind of criminal there is. Hastert is no better or no worse than anyone else because of his political leans.

I agree, but he is being treated differently because of his political lean and the fact that he has money and influence.

I agree, but he is being treated differently because of his political lean and the fact that he has money and influence.

Oh I'm sure he is. You could probably come up with examples on both sides of the aisle of people getting special treatment in the court system because of their politics and the leanings of the judges. But that isn't really relevant to Hastert's story, and the mere mention of his politics by we citizens is just as bad as how the courts take politics into account.

Again, post evidence for "plenty of liberals" that will indicate that a Democrat doing the crime should be treated differently.

That folks would insist that Ephebophilia is different than Pedophilia? That they might say things like "But it's Ephebophilia, not Pedophilia"? Would they argue, perhaps, that there is a "huge difference between pedophilia and ephebophilia"?

Meh :shrug: Some would. It's available as an argument to be used in the defense of one whose crimes you (broadly "you" as "a liberal", not specifically "you" as "years2late") have a greater relative predisposition to find differentiation in (post-pubescent, not pre-pubescent children). Just as conservatives are more prone to reach for "forgiveness", liberals would be more prone to reach for delineation.

Sooooooooo.......a death penalty case one day and a "oh well" the next because they hid their "crime" well?:lamo

Are you opposed to the statute of limitations?

Back
Top Bottom