• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Great old games that nobody talks about

Midwinter_cover.jpg

Squad Leader by Avalon Hill

View attachment 67468203

Oh man, I LOVE Avalon Hill games. They were a gateway drug to my lifelong love of strategy games.

They had a game for every interest and skill level.

Want something quick and easy but fun and competitive? Try Amoeba Wars.

Want something slightly complex, but still light and fun and might take a few hours to play? Try Titan.

Want something that mid level in complexity but easy to manage? Try Starship Troopers.

Want something in depth and challenging, but still approachable? Try Panzer Blitz..

Want something that will fry your brain with complexity where you spend more time arguing the meaning of a rule than progressing in the game? Try Squad Leader. :LOL:

Because, frankly, we're doing quite well and significantly better than almost any other westernized country.

Maybe it's time we stopped whining and began appreciating what we have and how we got it (hint: Joe Biden).

Loved Dark Tower as a kid.

View attachment 67468201

Forgot all about that game!

DOS was finicky

You want to play Wing Commander? Sorry, you'll need 620K of free base memory.

Want to play Aces of the Pacific? You'll need 630K of free base memory.... something that was WAY harder than kids today can fathom.

I had to create a pseudo boot menu in the autoexec.bat file so that my family could boot with the settings they would need to play the game they wanted.

You want to play Wing Commander? Sorry, you'll need 620K of free base memory.

Want to play Aces of the Pacific? You'll need 630K of free base memory.... something that was WAY harder than kids today can fathom.

I had to create a pseudo boot menu in the autoexec.bat file so that my family could boot with the settings they would need to play the game they wanted.
Yeah I did that as a kid too.

It was a simple matter of creating a boot menu batch file and then having a second autoexec and config.sys with stuff commented out.

Dealing with complex .json or yaml files these days tends to be much more complicated.

Yeah I did that as a kid too.

It was a simple matter of creating a boot menu batch file and then having a second autoexec and config.sys with stuff commented out.

Dealing with complex .json or yaml files these days tends to be much more complicated.

Well sure, the games have gotten more complicated, but not for the user. Most people buy a game today with the full faith that it will boot up and run, that was not the case in the old days.

My main character has been around since either late 1995 or early 1996. Pure text based MMORPG. Had about 2,000 people logged in during it's peak

A thread that may be raised from the dead occasionally when I feel like reminiscing about old games.

I'll kick it off with a game that for me was so revolutionary, and probably couldn't be made today: Star Fleet 2 - Krellan Commander

View attachment 67468183

Star Fleet 2 came out in 1989 in the waning years of ASCII based games (before the Dwarf Fortress revival).

It was a game that, in its time, could have only been done in ASCII art. IT was so ambitious in its scope that the game would have required too much hard drive real-estate to be rendered in 2D sprites.

Star Fleet 1: The War Begins was a somewhat less ambitious game that set out to create a Star Trek experience in a PC game, and did a fairly good job of it for its time. It was fun, but fairly limited.

Star Fleet 2: Krellan Commander was released 3 years later and took the novel path of putting you in command of a star fleet commander for the enemy race, the Krellans (games version of Klingons). In a way, you really couldn't do a game playing Krellans the same way Star Fleet 1 played without it just being Star Fleet 1... you were already limited in ASCII art, and limiting yourself to the basic tasks of Star Fleet would just be the same basic game.

Star Fleet 2 had a huge list of new tasks and sub games to manage including land combat, ship boarding, hostage taking.. you even had an interrogation menu to manage how ruthlessly you wanted to press your hostages for valuable intel.

The game gave you a rather large sandbox to play in as an evil starfaring warrior race. I played a lot of hours in that game but never really won the game.

The game map included over a thousand star systems with planets to explore and conquer.

It would be decades before anyone really tried anything this ambitious again (if anyone ever really did), and it's mostly been lost to time because it was released during the last days of ASCII.

Vanguard (arcade)
Heavy Barrel (arcade)
XCOM (PC)
Runequest (tabletop RPG)
Deus X (PC)
Darkfall (MMORPG)

The Wizardry series, esp. Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge.

Crusaders of the Dark Savant (VII) is also good, but way bigger and more complex.

And....I should probabably start Wizardry 8 at some point.

I can’t remember what exactly made it so riveting, but the boardgame “Masterpiece” was a staple in our house. My sisters and I played it all the time.

IMG_0031.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom