• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Great old games that nobody talks about

jmotivator

Computer Gaming Nerd
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A thread that may be raised from the dead occasionally when I feel like reminiscing about old games.

I'll kick it off with a game that for me was so revolutionary, and probably couldn't be made today: Star Fleet 2 - Krellan Commander

1694868338496.png

Star Fleet 2 came out in 1989 in the waning years of ASCII based games (before the Dwarf Fortress revival).

It was a game that, in its time, could have only been done in ASCII art. IT was so ambitious in its scope that the game would have required too much hard drive real-estate to be rendered in 2D sprites.

Star Fleet 1: The War Begins was a somewhat less ambitious game that set out to create a Star Trek experience in a PC game, and did a fairly good job of it for its time. It was fun, but fairly limited.

Star Fleet 2: Krellan Commander was released 3 years later and took the novel path of putting you in command of a star fleet commander for the enemy race, the Krellans (games version of Klingons). In a way, you really couldn't do a game playing Krellans the same way Star Fleet 1 played without it just being Star Fleet 1... you were already limited in ASCII art, and limiting yourself to the basic tasks of Star Fleet would just be the same basic game.

Star Fleet 2 had a huge list of new tasks and sub games to manage including land combat, ship boarding, hostage taking.. you even had an interrogation menu to manage how ruthlessly you wanted to press your hostages for valuable intel.

The game gave you a rather large sandbox to play in as an evil starfaring warrior race. I played a lot of hours in that game but never really won the game.

The game map included over a thousand star systems with planets to explore and conquer.

It would be decades before anyone really tried anything this ambitious again (if anyone ever really did), and it's mostly been lost to time because it was released during the last days of ASCII.

VT Trek.

One of the first Star Trek games - designed for VT-100 terminals. Played it on a TOPS-20 36bit mid-range time sharing system in college and then on VAX/VMS 32 bit system when I started my career at Digital Equipment Corp.

I’ll never forget playing Tomb Raider on my Pentium 133 PC back in the day. Then, I sprung for a new fangled thing called a “Voodoo card”.
When I finally got it working, it was wondrous!
Still have that Voodoo 1.
And then there was Quake…holy shit.

I’ll never forget playing Tomb Raider on my Pentium 133 PC back in the day. Then, I sprung for a new fangled thing called a “Voodoo card”.
Tomb Raider was great!

Escape From Castle Wolfenstein, subsequent releases got pretty good.

DOOM……this was released as free-ware and the next levels were paid.

Seventh Guest

DOS was finicky

Yeah, I’m ****ing old……..

1st machine was a Packard-Bell 486DX2 with a whopping 256 MB hard drive!

This had made me think of my old Atari 2600 games. Still have it, may work, may not. But need some joysticks.
One of my favorites among several..
Would get extremely fast paced as you progressed to the point of reflexes almost couldn't keep up.
I may have to see if it works and find some sticks for sale.

This had made me think of my old Atari 2600 games. Still have it, may work, may not. But need some joysticks.
Would get extremely fast paced as you progressed to the point of reflexes almost couldn't keep up.
My favorite Atari 2600 game was Demon Attack....you can emulate those old games on a PC.

demonAttack2600Screen.jpg

Last edited:
PM me if you are interested. I have a console, joysticks and a few cartridges and other odds and ends.

My favorite Atari 2600 game was Demon Attack....you can emulate those old games on a PC.
I bought one of the Atari 'flashbacks' a while ago with the preloaded games of select titles. Few were on my fave list.
And the little skinny stick doesn't cut it. Just doesn't seem the same.

PM me if you are interested. I have a console, joysticks and a few cartridges and other odds and ends.
Thanks, give it a thought. I'd just be curious to see if mine still powers up. Though I'll need to get an adapter for the single rca to a coax and check what the power pack rating is and see if I have a match in my big box-o-cables, transformers and such.
Which one you have? Mine is that classy 'wood grain' fronted one.😁

Thanks, give it a thought. I'd just be curious to see if mine still powers up. Though I'll need to get an adapter for the single rca to a coax and check what the power pack rating is and see if I have a match in my big box-o-cables, transformers and such.
Which one you have? Mine is that classy 'wood grain' fronted one.😁
I’ll have to look. I remember seeing the converter, two wire to coax in the collection.

IIRC, the console is the one with the faux wood grain.

Quake and DOOM, I didn't enjoy them single player but I really loved LAN versions - 20 people in the same room, cursing and calling each other out when someone got fragged.

I'd love to retire and run a LAN cafe, don't care if it makes or loses money.

chess. forget everything else -although my family liked to play Monopoly.
I never got into gaming, but im sure there are good ones

Decathlon on the Osbourne computer.. 1980 or so. Think it was called Bruce Jenner Decathlon.

Back
Top Bottom